The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
And yeah it does chap me that they're lecturing about this from a gated mansion in one of the whitest, wealthiest places in the US. I do think they mean well but the vibe they give off to me could use a lot of work. Though that's just my opinion.
Then again, on the opposite side of the coin, if it wasn't for the pandemic and strict travel restrictions at this time, this interview probably would have been done in the UK while the Sussexes were staying at Frogmore Cottage. For me, this is a good reason to not assume that the vibe of being in one place preaching to another place is unwarranted. Sometimes plans for things just don't work out 100% as we'd like them to.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and it was Covid-19 restrictions that changed things to a virtual interview online.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Then again, on the opposite side of the coin, if it wasn't for the pandemic and strict travel restrictions at this time, this interview probably would have been done in the UK while the Sussexes were staying at Frogmore Cottage. For me, this is a good reason to not assume that the vibe of being in one place preaching to another place is unwarranted. Sometimes plans for things just don't work out 100% as we'd like them to.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and it was Covid-19 restrictions that changed things to a virtual interview online.
I'm honestly dubious that they would be spending any time of note in the UK even without COVID-19. I know they say that they will be splitting their time, but do we REALLY see them living 6 months in the UK and 6 months in California? I will be shocked if they spend more than a month in the UK. If they had been serious about maintaining the UK as a significant residence, you would think they would have gone back when things started going bad in March, but they chose California instead. That indicates to me that's where their primary residence will be.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

To be fair it's as much about who they are as where they are. They are at the apex of the British class system. Their comments are not welcome by many here because of that. If they didn't insist on holding on so tightly to their status the reaction would most probably move from hostility to indifference.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
Do you all think that tweet confirms there is a deal with Netflix? It's just not a reality show (at least not in H&M eyes).
Reminds me of there was no interview for Findung Freedom
Old 10-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
They make some good points but a lot of it is lost in rolling my eyes. Peaceful protest should be one of the hallmarks of a good democracy. London is a city with many communities originating from all over the world, and not just inner London but many of the "leafy" suburbs and Home Counties as well. I suppose if you wanted you could just mix with certain groups of people and not see other people but even among the super wealthy there's a world wide mix. As there is at Eton and many top universities. But if Harry went out of his way to only mix with people on King's Road or Army officers then he might have come to that conclusion.

I have seen some problems with integration in places but in general it seems to work from my POV. Though I'm sure there are improvements.

And yeah it does chap me that they're lecturing about this from a gated mansion in one of the whitest, wealthiest places in the US. I do think they mean well but the vibe they give off to me could use a lot of work. Though that's just my opinion.
I was just about to post this....but to backtrack first: how exactly would Harry know about diversity in the streets when he's lived all of his life in a bubble? So now he and M move to one of the wealthiest, homogeneous places in America - oh sure, they are certainly going to rub elbows with ordinary people. Forgive me, but I don't want to hear from them on this subject, especially Harry, who speaks from zero experience. I'm kind of done with this idea that they mean well - that's probably true, but they also come off as clueless, high-handed and........not intelligent.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I was just about to post this....but to backtrack first: how exactly would Harry know about diversity in the streets when he's lived all of his life in a bubble? So now he and M move to one of the wealthiest, homogeneous places in America - oh sure, they are certainly going to rub elbows with ordinary people. Forgive me, but I don't want to hear from them on this subject, especially Harry, who speaks from zero experience. I'm kind of done with this idea that they mean well - that's probably true, but they also come off as clueless, high-handed and........not intelligent.
Every tine I see Harry in interviews like this recently he seems completely out of his depth, just parroting whatever Meghan says and believes. I like Harry but I don’t think he’s particularly bright, and I think just goes along what his wife believes in these matters.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

Systemic racism is a very real thing where no matter how high your station it will come for you. See the Obamas and other people of color who are born to or obtained wealth. I'm surprised the UK has a Black History Month. Given their experiences the Sussexes are the ones in the BRF to speak to it. Harry has a front row view in regards to how his wife and son is treated. This is not a joke.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Systemic racism is a very real thing where no matter how high your station it will come for you. See the Obamas and other people of color who are born to or obtained wealth. I'm surprised the UK has a Black History Month. Given their experiences the Sussexes are the ones in the BRF to speak to it. Harry has a front row view in regards to how his wife and son is treated. This is not a joke.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Every tine I see Harry in interviews like this recently he seems completely out of his depth, just parroting whatever Meghan says and believes. I like Harry but I don’t think he’s particularly bright, and I think just goes along what his wife believes in these matters.
Yup. I don't know, it feels like Harry is tagging along on Meghan's causes (which she's had for ages) and doesn't have many of his own. I think they are becoming almost too much of ONE entity, like almost everything they do is together and they don't have their own identities - I think this is far more true of Harry than Meghan. His identity is that he's the son of the heir, the son of Diana.....it just feels like he's bland, boring, uninteresting now.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Nor is the exploitative class history of Britain. This is not the USA. You can't use the same methods to critique British history, society & culture. It's fundamentally intellectually dishonest.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree with your point- systematic racism is very evident both in the US and in the UK, and it is indeed nothing to joke about. My issue comes from the "holier than thou" tone that they have been using in most of their interviews, lecturing the British people about being more "woke" and fighting systematic racism in the UK when they can't even be bothered to live there and haven't for nearly a year.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Not that whatever Harry and Meghan said interests me but why on earth should the UK not have a Black History Month. There have been people of colour in the UK since Roman times. I would suggest David olusoga's black and British. Brilliant.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree with this.

Yup. I don't know, it feels like Harry is tagging along on Meghan's causes (which she's had for ages) and doesn't have many of his own. I think they are becoming almost too much of ONE entity, like almost everything they do is together and they don't have their own identities - I think this is far more true of Harry than Meghan. His identity is that he's the son of the heir, the son of Diana.....it just feels like he's bland, boring, uninteresting now.
Hmmm. They are just people who we are told are special. Harry was an alright soldier and that is the sum of him apart from his title and everything that has enabled him to do.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I get the sense that Harry has never built a real identity of his own. I think that a lot of his identity, whether it was intentional or not, was built around being Diana's son. When he was in the army of course his primary job and identity was as a soldier, and then when doing royal duties, he often did them in conjunction with William and Kate. W&K have started really building their royal identities now, but I feel like Harry never really got the chance to do that since he left so soon after becoming a full-time working royal. He of course has his passion projects (Sentebale, Invictus Games, veterans issues) and they will always be important to him but I think that other than that he seemed quite lost after leaving the army and where he fit in, and I think really globbed on to the issues that Meghan is passionate about.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I get the sense that Harry has never built a real identity of his own. I think that a lot of his identity, whether it was intentional or not, was built around being Diana's son. When he was in the army of course his primary job and identity was as a soldier, and then when doing royal duties, he often did them in conjunction with William and Kate. W&K have started really building their royal identities now, but I feel like Harry never really got the chance to do that since he left so soon after becoming a full-time working royal. He of course has his passion projects (Sentebale, Invictus Games, veterans issues) and they will always be important to him but I think that other than that he seemed quite lost after leaving the army and where he fit in, and I think really globbed on to the issues that Meghan is passionate about.
[......] is dominated by a more forceful partner. Happens all the time. Meh. Maybe he just needs that.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Harry will cause some people to explode with rage and others to applaud. I live in an area totally devoid of black people but my education & experiences of studying & working in London tell me that my area and others like it are largely ignorant (or misinformed) about black history in this country, which is why we need Black History Month. Harry is always going to polarise opinions so in the words of my late Granny, "You might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb".
Old 10-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Nobility

I don't really understand how there are still people defending them at this point. It'd be way too exhausting for me, especially since it's like flop, another flop, YET another flop for Team Sussex.

I honestly think it would do them good to disappear for 6 months, or even a year. And then start building their own thing. If they're the real deal, they'll build the organization they want. Right now they just look desperate to stay in people's minds, which is saying a lot about what they think about their platform - it's not there to stay. They have it only for the short period of time and they're desperately clingling to it, creating more content and showing up everywhere, without good reason, sense, or anything worth to say.

Elections, voting, feminism - those are all Meghan's issues. Harry is not even visible, doesn't have anything to say, which is sad. I don't think he'll be happy if it stays that way, he needs something of his own to work at.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

It's not the role of anyone in the royal family to make these sorts of comments.

A progressive royal duke & duchess is an oxymoron.

If they wanted to be really controversial they would campaign on class equality in Britain. But they won't do that because they benefit from social inequality. Their wealth & status derive from it.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It's not the role of anyone in the royal family to make these sorts of comments.

A progressive royal duke & duchess is an oxymoron.

If they wanted to be really controversial they would campaign on class equality in Britain. But they won't do that because they benefit from social inequality. Their wealth & status derive from it.
There is a lot of truth in your comment. I struggle with hugely privileged people campaigning for social justice for precisely the reasons you cite. However, given that they have that status and reach, I'll settle for them using it for good causes even if I know that in a rational argument in favour of meritocracy, they shouldn't even be in that privileged position.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
Reminds me of there was no interview for Finding Freedom
Well - we might have more information on that soon.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
There is a lot of truth in your comment. I struggle with hugely privileged people campaigning for social justice for precisely the reasons you cite. However, given that they have that status and reach, I'll settle for them using it for good causes even if I know that in a rational argument in favour of meritocracy, they shouldn't even be in that privileged position.
That's a fair comment & I can see the rationale of that. I just happen to come to a different conclusion I suppose.

It is perplexing that they chose to leave & live abroad but still feel the need to comment on our country. I for one have far more time for someone like Mark Rashford & his recent campaign for the most disadvantaged school pupils.