The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry and Meghan's titles won't be on the same reduced level as Lady Colin Canmpbell's at all. Lady C wasn't born an aristocrat, married the younger son of a Scottish Duke decades ago and is Lady Colin by virtue of that very brief marriage.

Whereas Harry was born a Prince and grandchild of the Sovereign and will be a Prince until he dies, as well as a king's son. And will revert to being a Prince even if the Dukedom he received on his wedding day is revoked, which I don't believe it will be, by the way. Nor, imo opinion are Meghan and Harry 'notorious' unlike a certain other Royal.

That's hardly getting down to the level of a gossipy author with a courtesy title who writes fantasy biographies.
Oh you're right of course. Harry will *always* be a prince and a royal duke no matter what happens. On the other hand, it seems that in the court of public opinion, Meghan's use of "The Duchess of Sussex" comes across to many people these days in the context of how Lady Colin Campbell uses hers. I do have to admit that Meghan's role of actually using her title as being a senior, working member of the "Firm" was very short lived. Not as short as Lady C's marriage but short.

I don't think their titles will be revoked either. Parliament has so many other priorities these days than to put stripping the Sussexes of their peerage titles as a priority. Its not just a matter of saying "nope.. can't use those titles anymore at all" but actually finding valid and true reasons for doing so outside of the court of public opinion and dislike of the couple. It would also then start a new precedent for removal of peerage tittles as a matter of law.

We're just seeing a way of life for a couple that hold peerage titles living in a way that we're totally unused to. For all we know, the future holds that the young 3rd Duke of Edinburgh, Herbert (grandson of Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh, will be the first titled British citizen to go on a space mission.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Gentry

Don’t be too arrogant Sussex fans if your idols keep pushing it I can totally see parliament step in and do something. Many of the things people thought would not happen with these two end up happening. So don’t be so arrogant.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its not just a matter of Parliament stepping in and saying "No more titles for you!". There has to be a valid and legal reason to do this and as far as I'm aware, the *only* precedent set for the removal of peerage titles is treason. Should Parliament remove titles for a totally different reason, such as popular opinion is the reason, then it stands true for *all* peers that their titles could be revoked because of popular opinion.

Not going to happen.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:54 AM
Gentry

Like I said nobody thought a lot of things would happen with these two but it did. So again don’t be So arrogant.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another factor that weighs in on this is that Meghan's behavior would have absolutely nothing to do with the removal of peerages. Harry holds the peerage himself and his wife carries the feminine equivalent of Harry's titles. It would have to be *Harry* himself that would have to do something so dire that Parliament would step in and take legal action.

So far, there has been absolutely nothing Harry has done that warrants legal action stripping him of his title. Its not *arrogance* but logical deduction from knowing how things actually work
Old 10-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Nobility

George Osborne, Evening Standard Editor-in-Chief (also Editor at 2017-2020) and former Chancellor under David Cameron has tweeted out a picture of the front cover of the Evening Standard featuring Harry and Meghan. Apparently, the Evening Standard did an exclusive interview with the Sussexes.
George Osborne @George_Osborne
Today’s ⁦@EveningStandard and our exclusive interview with Harry and Meghan
8:20 PM · Oct 1, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/s...11997830737925

Here is the link to the article: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...-a4560921.html
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Neither I nor any other forum member claimed this rumor is true. Another poster said that people had taken a simple clip of Meghan encouraging people to vote and gone so far as to "twist" it into a rumor that she is running for political office. I was pointing out that this isn't so... that rumor has existed for nearly (if not more than) a year, and did not spring from people twisting her recent words.
BTW the rumor of her running for political office has gained steam due to a bunch of domain names discovered with the title: ("Meghanmarkle(enter national election year)"), which were registered with "godaddy" (apparently Meghan favorite host site) in late may 2018, with the IP location of the person who created them listed as Berkshire.

Sorry for not adding a picture of it most of the anti sussex accounts I came across who show it are the kind I rather not provide any more traffic to (also I have blocked and am blocked from most of them - I don't mind people not liking someone, but when that dislike is obviously not because of a person actions but their race and they go after that person black parent..)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
George Osborne, Evening Standard Editor-in-Chief (also Editor at 2017-2020) and former Chancellor under David Cameron has tweeted out a picture of the front cover of the Evening Standard featuring Harry and Meghan. Apparently, the Evening Standard did an exclusive interview with the Sussexes.
George Osborne @George_Osborne
Today’s ⁦@EveningStandard and our exclusive interview with Harry and Meghan
8:20 PM · Oct 1, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/s...11997830737925

Here is the link to the article: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...-a4560921.html
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Majesty

What a fabulous commitment for Britain's Black History Month, Harry and Meghan! A great interview as well with them talking about this and their selections with enormous enthusiasm. And don't they look happy!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, it was a lovely interview. Their words were generally well chosen and they hit all the right notes. I do think that it's a bit weird that they are sending a general message to Britons when they have chosen to live in LA.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, I see this interview as an indication that they will still keep their original intention of supporting British charities and patronages and incentives. They never said anywhere that the US is going to be the *only* area of interest for them.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Courtier

Nice interview and nice cameo from Guy!
Old 10-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, I see this interview as an indication that they will still keep their original intention of supporting British charities and patronages and incentives. They never said anywhere that the US is going to be the *only* area of interest for them.
I think the issue going forward will be that they’ve chosen to live in the US. If they’d stepped back from being working royals and settled outside of London or moved somewhere else in the UK it would be different but I can see how the public in the UK may not find it palatable to be told about their social problems by a couple that very publicly made the choice to settle abroad.

I thought they made some good points but also sounded clueless at times. I liked that Meghan emphasized the positive value of PEACEFUL protests. But Harry talking about there not being as much diversity as you might think when you go out onto the streets of London? Maybe not on the streets where he’s spent most of his time but I’ve always experienced London as both a diverse and integrated city. Certainly it would be difficult to come out of training for medicine or law or business without a diverse social circle and one that’s not limited to visible diversity but is diverse in every sense. I don’t think my experience is universal and of course there are people of every ethnicity who prefer to stick to their own community but, well, Harry might want to spend some more time on the middle and upper middle class streets of London.. he might be surprised by what he finds.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

This seem to drag on and on. Is not anybody tired of this?? Is this is what PRIVATE means?.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think the issue going forward will be that they’ve chosen to live in the US. If they’d stepped back from being working royals and settled outside of London or moved somewhere else in the UK it would be different but I can see how the public in the UK may not find it palatable to be told about their social problems by a couple that very publicly made the choice to settle abroad.
I think that this is really key. I'm an American, but if I was British I would be very put out by this couple. I agree with all of the points that they're making, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time that they lecture the British people on what they should be doing to be more "woke" from their mansion in California. I don't think that either of them truly understand the real social situation in the UK... Harry was obviously raised amongst the very upper crust, and Meghan lived there for 18 months and was seemingly unhappy the whole time, and I think it was the plan all along to settle abroad.

It's a bit hypocritical that they want to still "represent the Queen and the Royal Family" but can't even bother to live in the country that they're representing. I get it if they were unhappy and wanted to move to California... but if that's the case then let go of the British charities.

Edited to add that being raised in the upper crust doesn't mean that you can't learn about how "ordinary" people live. I just don't think that Harry ever did or wanted to while he was living in the UK.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I think she thinks those who twist her words and themselves into pretzels to be offended, do it to themselves.
No doubt she does. That's a reflection on her lack of awareness. A little humility night be in order.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I think that this is really key. I'm an American, but if I was British I would be very put out by this couple. I agree with all of the points that they're making, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time that they lecture the British people on what they should be doing to be more "woke" from their mansion in California. I don't think that either of them truly understand the real social situation in the UK... Harry was obviously raised amongst the very upper crust, and Meghan lived there for 18 months and was seemingly unhappy the whole time, and I think it was the plan all along to settle abroad.

It's a bit hypocritical that they want to still "represent the Queen and the Royal Family" but can't even bother to live in the country that they're representing. I get it if they were unhappy and wanted to move to California... but if that's the case then let go of the British charities.

Edited to add that being raised in the upper crust doesn't mean that you can't learn about how "ordinary" people live. I just don't think that Harry ever did or wanted to while he was living in the UK.
A great post.

The irony is that the main fault line in this country is to do with class & educational opportunity whatever your ethnicity. And inter generational disadvantage. The worst under performing demographic in British schools is white working class (blue collar) boys. The duke went to Eton & has inherited a huge fortune ultimately derived from the British state. The difference between a school like Eton & a comprehensive in most working class towns is stark.

Many here roll their eyes at such an individual going on & on.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I thought they made some good points but also sounded clueless at times. I liked that Meghan emphasized the positive value of PEACEFUL protests. But Harry talking about there not being as much diversity as you might think when you go out onto the streets of London? Maybe not on the streets where he’s spent most of his time but I’ve always experienced London as both a diverse and integrated city. Certainly it would be difficult to come out of training for medicine or law or business without a diverse social circle and one that’s not limited to visible diversity but is diverse in every sense. I don’t think my experience is universal and of course there are people of every ethnicity who prefer to stick to their own community but, well, Harry might want to spend some more time on the middle and upper middle class streets of London.. he might be surprised by what he finds.
They make some good points but a lot of it is lost in rolling my eyes. Peaceful protest should be one of the hallmarks of a good democracy. London is a city with many communities originating from all over the world, and not just inner London but many of the "leafy" suburbs and Home Counties as well. I suppose if you wanted you could just mix with certain groups of people and not see other people but even among the super wealthy there's a world wide mix. As there is at Eton and many top universities. But if Harry went out of his way to only mix with people on King's Road or Army officers then he might have come to that conclusion.

I have seen some problems with integration in places but in general it seems to work from my POV. Though I'm sure there are improvements.

And yeah it does chap me that they're lecturing about this from a gated mansion in one of the whitest, wealthiest places in the US. I do think they mean well but the vibe they give off to me could use a lot of work. Though that's just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

Here they go again. Another week, another bandwagon. I am truly sick of this couple and their platitudes. With each pronouncement they become even more unbearable.

I wish them well and hope they can disappear and have the wonderful private life they seemed to desire, and spare the rest of us their sermons from Montecito.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
This seem to drag on and on. Is not anybody tired of this?? Is this is what PRIVATE means?.

exactly
lecturing people from behind the gates of a rich, white ivory tower community while quitting their chosen path after the shortest of times because the circumstances were not of their liking.

Well, apparently it's hard work trying to stay relevant by telling others what to do with so little gravitas, Meghan can articulate herself, I'll give her that, but Harry, who has suddenly freed his clouded mind and sees the world through Meghan's eyes, is just painful to watch and to listen to.
We should be grateful that we can still listen to their wise words for free before they put their revelations behind a paywall.

Closed Thread