The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Wait she called them? IF that is true it would explain why she seems so out of place with the rest of the line up.
They've been doing that since their first "engagements" of this type. It's why the 19th in August had Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Susana Martinez, Catherine Cortez Masto, Tammy Duckworth etc and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. The organiser openly said Meghan called and asked to be a part of it.

It's not a bad thing per se, networking is the lifeblood of Hollywood, but it shows in the other guest list. It might have been different if she'd actually been DoS for longer like Melinda Gates has been a billionaire philanthropist for decades partly because she's married to one.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:58 AM
Majesty

What evidence is there that Meghan cold-called the Fortune organisers and asked to be part of the lineup? Speculation?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
They've been doing that since their first "engagements" of this type. It's why the 19th in August had Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Susana Martinez, Catherine Cortez Masto, Tammy Duckworth etc and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. The organiser openly said Meghan called and asked to be a part of it.

It's not a bad thing per se, networking is the lifeblood of Hollywood, but it shows in the other guest list. It might have been different if she'd actually been DoS for longer like Melinda Gates has been a billionaire philanthropist for decades partly because she's married to one.
It reeks of desperation. And to me it shows the girl has no boundaries. She doesn’t think that maybe it’s not her place to be there so she shouldn’t invite herself to it. You know how there’s nouveau riche where they like to “scream” at how much money they have by buying all the expensive name brands. Well I came up with a new term nouveau fame. She screams for attention she wants people to look at her.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
What evidence is there that Meghan cold-called the Fortune organisers and asked to be part of the lineup? Speculation?
There isn’t any of the sort. With the 19th, Meghan called to talk of the organization in general and then learned of their summit. Asked if she could help out and it went from there.

The rest of her appearances, including Times, definitely appears that they were personally approached. And in both ways that’s perfectly fine. But no need to make things up.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
There isn’t any of the sort. With the 19th, Meghan called to talk of the organization in general and then learned of their summit. Asked if she could help out and it went from there.

The rest of her appearances, including Times, definitely appears that they were personally approached. And in both ways that’s perfectly fine. But no need to make things up.

Of course in certain circles, at least for a while, they will be a big "get", so it is quite possible that they are approached. For the most part however, we don't really know how they become involved.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I don't know it but most American media is blue and sides with the royals in general.
Yes, ABC - CBS - MSNBC - NBC are all Pro Meghan/Harry and the Royal Family. When there was a rift it seemed like they sided with Meghan/Harry and implied the RF was racist.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
“If you look back at anything I’ve said, what ends up being inflammatory is people’s interpretation of it,” “But if you listen to what I actually say”—like encouraging Americans to vote—”it’s not
controversial.” ~ Meghan

I have to agree with her.

https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/...06744596942855

Video clip.
So in the duchesses' opinion her words are uncontroversial but those who take issue with what she says are at fault?

Talk about tone deaf.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Personally I feel there are bigger issues in the royal family to be worrying about and it seems petty to ask for the Sussex's titles to be revoked, when a certain uncle is involved a much, much more scandalous situation...

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Personally I feel there are bigger issues in the royal family to be worrying about and it seems petty to ask for the Sussex's titles to be revoked, when a certain uncle is involved a much, much more scandalous situation...
I take your point about the other situation. However discussion about the Sussexes does not preclude distaste over the other matter.

Many don't see the question you reference as petty at all but rather as part of a legitimate debate. It's interesting that there appears to be growing support for some sort of action. That in itself says a lot about how the Sussexes have conducted themselves.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
So in the duchesses' opinion her words are uncontroversial but those who take issue with what she says are at fault?

Talk about tone deaf.
I think she thinks those who twist her words and themselves into pretzels to be offended, do it to themselves.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think she thinks those who twist her words and themselves into pretzels to be offended, do it to themselves.

In general, I would agree with someone who says this. However, her words were not "twisted". She made her political preference clear. That being said, I am not bothered by her comments. She has the right to say what she likes. If it's a problem for the BRF, Harry will have to deal with any fallout. There are plenty of other Harry and Meghan behaviours that I find problematic, but this isn't one of them.

Just a general note: People who are critical of Harry and/or Meghan should not be automatically labelled "haters". People can be concerned or critical about certain behaviours, but that doesn't necessarily reflect "hate" or even dislike.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

A lot of her words were twisted though. Even some of the royal correspondents fully admitted that. People said she flat out said names — she didn’t. She never endorsed. And yes people took it to other levels by even claiming she was planning to run for office. All this based off a clip saying to vote.

So when she said some people are reacting to something that hasn’t even happened, she hardly wrong. People don’t have to agree with her. Her views on certain issues are well established but that doesn’t change the fact that at times people literally just look for things to be offended by just cause it’s her.

But that applies to others as well.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 PM
Nobility

The rumors that she is planning to run for office are not based on this clip. They have been rampant since the Sussexes announced their plan to step down from official duties.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

Let's not forget she asked to guest edit British Vogue, her husband lobbying for voice-overs... The former Sussex fan in me would have said there's no harm in being a go-getter, but the part in me that thinks royals should not be that inelegant and clumsy in their hustle is louder.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Majesty

A great many rumours about Meghan have been rampant since the Sussexes left the ranks of the working royals. That doesn't make them true. Meghan has never personally stated that she intends to run for political office. And until she does or an official announcement is made, stories that she is going to do so are just tales floating around in the media, including social media.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Neither I nor any other forum member claimed this rumor is true. Another poster said that people had taken a simple clip of Meghan encouraging people to vote and gone so far as to "twist" it into a rumor that she is running for political office. I was pointing out that this isn't so... that rumor has existed for nearly (if not more than) a year, and did not spring from people twisting her recent words.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
IMO, Meghan lacks the qualifications to run for any political office. I don't think she'd be taken seriously on any ballot. But then again, looking around me and the ballot for the highest office, there isn't really a huge level of competence there either.

About the titles. In my mind, once the HRH was forbidden to be used by the Sussex couple, the "royal" of "royal duke and duchess" divorced them from being associated with the work of the "Firm" and the work the royal family does. Their titles actually reduced to being similar to Lady Colin Campbell's use of one. Of course with the notoriety this couple has garnered over the years, its hard for some people to the change. Most Americans though don't give a fig about rank and file of titles at all. Most American's couldn't tell you that Andrew is the Queen's fourth child either.

All we really can do is sit back and watch how things develop for the couple in the years to come. We all have opinions and see things differently but now that the break has been made, underlying it all is the most basic of human freedoms that Harry and Meghan have as much as we all do.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." - Viktor Frankl (Man's Search For Meaning)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
IMO, Meghan lacks the qualifications to run for any political office. I don't think she'd be taken seriously on any ballot. But then again, looking around me and the ballot for the highest office, there isn't really a huge level of competence there either.

About the titles. In my mind, once the HRH was forbidden to be used by the Sussex couple, the "royal" of "royal duke and duchess" divorced them from being associated with the work of the "Firm" and the work the royal family does. Their titles actually reduced to being similar to Lady Colin Campbell's use of one. Of course with the notoriety this couple has garnered over the years, its hard for some people to the change. Most Americans though don't give a fig about rank and file of titles at all. Most American's couldn't tell you that Andrew is the Queen's fourth child either.

All we really can do is sit back and watch how things develop for the couple in the years to come. We all have opinions and see things differently but now that the break has been made, underlying it all is the most basic of human freedoms that Harry and Meghan have as much as we all do.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." - Viktor Frankl (Man's Search For Meaning)
I would hope so, because they would be confusing him with his brother Edward (whom they probably never heard of)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I would hope so, because they would be confusing him with his brother Edward (whom they probably never heard of)
Oh crap on a cracker!! Open mouth, insert foot time for me again. Duh! Then again, 95% of the American people would *not* have picked up on my gaffe at all.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 PM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan's titles won't be on the same reduced level as Lady Colin Campbell's at all. Lady C wasn't born an aristocrat, married the younger son of a Scottish Duke decades ago and is Lady Colin by virtue of that very brief marriage.

Whereas Harry was born a Prince and grandchild of the Sovereign and will be a Prince until he dies, as well as a king's son. And will revert to being called Prince even if the Dukedom he received on his wedding day is revoked, which I don't believe it will be, by the way. Nor, imo opinion are Meghan and Harry 'notorious' unlike a certain other Royal.

That's hardly getting down to the level of a gossipy author with a courtesy title who writes fantasy biographies.

Closed Thread