The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness

A question for our American posters - is this a reputable news source? Is it blue or red or neither?

Thank you.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...en-endorsement

Old 09-28-2020, 05:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
A question for our American posters - is this a reputable news source? Is it blue or red or neither?

Thank you.

It is an American conservative media outlet. Make what you want of that— IMO they’re as reputable as the lining in your pet’s litter box

Old 09-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Thank you.

I don't know it but most American media is blue and sides with the royals in general.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for both your replies.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Thank you.

It is a conservative publication aligned with the Republican Party.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
No reality series doesn't mean there's not gonna be a documentary at some point

Since I heard about the deal with Netflix I expected them to have at least one little something where they are on the screen, showing what they're doing, and things like that. Nothing surprising here.

But I don't think we'll see anything even resembling a "reality tv show" format - I can't help but remember the documentary "The Final Year" on Obama's foreign policy. It was wonderfully made, very interesting and focused completely on his - and his team's - work and not on their personal life, which shows it CAN be done. I just don't think the Sussexes have anything as interesting as this to show, but they could find a nice balance between showing their charity work and personal life.

Not to mention it's not like a format like that is foreign to the royal family. There's "Prince, Son and Heir: Charles at 70" and "The Real Camilla: HRH The Duchess of Cornwall" (which are both very interesting, showing a bit of them, but still keeping their private life private).
I agree but the press claimed a reality series instead of the typical documentary format that’s constantly used. So in that respect, yes it’s was denied.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Chris Ship has also tweeted (two linked tweets) in refuting the claim that the Sussexes are starring in a reality TV series, but also indicating what the future projects are roughly.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Reports that Harry and Meghan are planning a fly-on-the-wall @netflix series in their own home (The Only Way Is Sussex and Meet The Markles are two names I’ve seen suggested) are not at all true - according to people we’ve spoken to on the Sussexes’ team [Television emoji]
10:29 PM · Sep 28, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Replying to @chrisshipitv
So @netflix says there are only two series confirmed:
“The couple already has several projects in development, including an innovative nature docu-series and an animated series that celebrates inspiring women but we are not disclosing any of the programming slate at this time."
4:57 AM · Sep 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...54843766353921

Russell Myers (Royal Editor for Daily Mirror) however, appears to be more sceptical. He retweeted Max Foster from CNN.
Russell Myers @rjmyers
Reality show versus fly-on-the-wall docuseries [Face with monocle]
12:57 AM · Sep 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/rjmyers/status/1310594414557966336

Edited: I have added Russel Myers' tweet
Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

Rebecca English - while acknowledging the reality series denial given to "Hello" magazine - is reporting that the Duke and Duchess have "sensational home footage recorded during their departure from the Royal Family".

And that part of their pitch for a deal was this trove of personal videos.

Details below -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Britain.html
Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan will be part of another online women’s conference tomorrow.

https://fortuneconferences.com/confe...nkId=100659187

Her interview is at 1:15pm EST / 6:15pm GMT.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Meghan will be part of another online women’s conference tomorrow.

https://fortuneconferences.com/confe...nkId=100659187

Her interview is at 1:15pm EST / 6:15pm GMT.
From reading at the blurb, I think the topic is going to focus on technology and online communication, or possibly social media usage.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Nobility

I don't have an opinion on what the Sussexes do or don't have in the works, but there is an important distinction to be made here.

What they apparently denied having plans to take part in is a "reality show." Reality TV is just what the name implies- just a show of someone else's (not really but supposed) reality. The whole concept is that there is no plot or greater point. You're just peeking into someone else's life.

What the Sussexes were rumored to be taking part in was labeled as reality TV in a derisive way, but what was actually being described was a kind of documentary or show about their lives or some aspect of their lives. The difference is that a documentary has some point or message, you are not just following someone's life aimlessly.

So this denial does not mean that the rumored piece is not in the works. I would not consider their denial inconsistent with the kind of work that was supposedly being produced.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

The entire focus of the current conference seems to be on 'covid and working from home' and the different issues that has presented. The different talks are about managing working from home, and continuing to create a team environment digitally, and so on. Having that human connection not only with your employees but with your customers as well all while doing it digitally. But also about the need to adapt to the demands of inclusion and diversity, and how to do so in this new world.

Meghan seems to be speaking about how they continue charity work and speaking out, on line. And how one can still try and shape change, when doing it behind a computer.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I don't have an opinion on what the Sussexes do or don't have in the works, but there is an important distinction to be made here.

What they apparently denied having plans to take part in is a "reality show." Reality TV is just what the name implies- just a show of someone else's (not really but supposed) reality. The whole concept is that there is no plot or greater point. You're just peeking into someone else's life.

What the Sussexes were rumored to be taking part in was labeled as reality TV in a derisive way, but what was actually being described was a kind of documentary or show about their lives or some aspect of their lives. The difference is that a documentary has some point or message, you are not just following someone's life aimlessly.

So this denial does not mean that the rumored piece is not in the works. I would not consider their denial inconsistent with the kind of work that was supposedly being produced.

I am in the same camp HighGoalHighDreams.

A lot of articles are reporting it as a docuseries ... which fits with the description of the Duke and Duchess being followed and filmed for three months as they go about their charity work.

They took their own photographer/videographer with them to the school garden and the school hand things out visits - so they may have quite a bit already filmed and now the leaks and denials are coming out to build an audience.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Rebecca English - while acknowledging the reality series denial given to "Hello" magazine - is reporting that the Duke and Duchess have "sensational home footage recorded during their departure from the Royal Family".

And that part of their pitch for a deal was this trove of personal videos.

Details below -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Britain.html
If they want to use home footage of themselves, that’s their business, though that is still hypocritical to me as it flies in he face of their insistence on privacy. If that footage includes Royals, that’s a huge NO NO for me.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
If they want to use home footage of themselves, that’s their business, though that is still hypocritical to me as it flies in he face of their insistence on privacy. If that footage includes Royals, that’s a huge NO NO for me.
I think Russell Myers's tweet share the same concern or scepticism with you in regards to "personal life" and "privacy". From reading at his tweet (as I have posted earlier), he seems to think that there is little difference between reality TV and fly-on-wall documentary series, given that both "presentation styles" will provide a lot of details on their personal life. If however, Harry and Meghan are not going to be on the screen (but rather as director) and the documentary focuses on the charities or causes, I would have little or no problem with it.

I agree with you that if the footage includes the Royal Family, it would not go down well.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:51 AM
Courtier

It depends what it is. You could call the recent documentary made for Princess Anne's 70th birthday "reality TV", because it showed her visiting her charities, doing some work at Gatcombe Park, and speaking about how she'd tried to help with home-schooling her grandchildren once the restrictions on visiting were lifted. Cameras followed her for a year. There was nothing "sensational" about it. There've been similar documentaries about Prince Charles and his work. Obviously no payment was involved with any of those, though.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 AM
Aristocracy

I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with. If it is a series that highlights various charities, it might be interesting. If it profiles Harry and/or Meghan as they go around engaging with worthy causes, then it runs the risk of being too self-aggrandizing. Unlike the situations of Princess Anne and Prince Charles, it is a little early in Harry and Meghan’s charity work career to celebrate their contributions and good works.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It depends what it is. You could call the recent documentary made for Princess Anne's 70th birthday "reality TV", because it showed her visiting her charities, doing some work at Gatcombe Park, and speaking about how she'd tried to help with home-schooling her grandchildren once the restrictions on visiting were lifted. Cameras followed her for a year. There was nothing "sensational" about it. There've been similar documentaries about Prince Charles and his work. Obviously no payment was involved with any of those, though.
Cameras literally followed William for 2 years for his documentary airing this weekend. A reality show? I guess so by this current definition. Anyways I think most would agree they just using that to talk down the alleged documentary though it sounds exactly like what the rest does.

But we shall see.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

Yes some members of the RF have done these docus before but did they profit from it? And if the Sussexes do it, will they personally profit from it for their personal gains or donate proceeds to charity?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I think Russell Myers's tweet share the same concern or scepticism with you in regards to "personal life" and "privacy". From reading at his tweet (as I have posted earlier), he seems to think that there is little difference between reality TV and fly-on-wall documentary series, given that both "presentation styles" will provide a lot of details on their personal life. If however, Harry and Meghan are not going to be on the screen (but rather as director) and the documentary focuses on the charities or causes, I would have little or no problem with it.

I agree with you that if the footage includes the Royal Family, it would not go down well.
I share RM’s skepticism - while there might be some differences between a reality show and a docu-series, ultimately those are overshadowed by the one huge similarity: that there is an enormous lack of privacy in each. I agree that the bolded part would be another story altogether.