The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
"There's also an exclusive interview with First Lady Melania Trump, in which she talks about her humble beginnings and her husband's Presidency, as well as a shoot with Contributing Editor Anaïs Gallagher and her boyfriend Julius Roberts, the dashing farmer behind the wildly popular @telltalefood Instagram account, in which they talk about how they got through lockdown."
I remember when Anais Gallagher was born. The fact that she's old enough to be a contributing editor and live with a boyfriend makes me feel about 100!

There was a lot of talk about Harry and Meghan when they first jumped ship, but, with everything else that's going on now, I don't think too many people are that bothered about them. There's certainly no way that Parliament's going to take time out from dealing with the pandemic to remove their royal titles.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I remember when Anais Gallagher was born. The fact that she's old enough to be a contributing editor and live with a boyfriend makes me feel about 100!

There was a lot of talk about Harry and Meghan when they first jumped ship, but, with everything else that's going on now, I don't think too many people are that bothered about them. There's certainly no way that Parliament's going to take time out from dealing with the pandemic to remove their royal titles.

And maybe all they have to do is wait Alison H.

The number of articles coming out saying that the Sussexes will relinquish their Royal titles themselves has stepped up.

If Meghan is serious about a political career, to give up her Duchess title would be a grand launching move.

And better PR to give the titles up, than have them taken.

TIme will tell and a lot ahead.

Will they travel to the UK for Christmas, will the Duchess take the stand in London in January, is she making a documentary about her media battles, will the couple appear at next year's official events, will there be a primetime tell-all interview and on and on and on.

So many possibilities, and the only ones making the decisions are Meghan and Harry.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Worse and worse and worse.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Courtier

The Tatler poll has been picked up by Channel 5 News. Simon Vigar (Royal correspondent of Channel 5 news) is the reporter/commentator for the video in this tweet. He also interviewed the residence of Windsor on the street.
Channel 5 News @5_News
Prince Harry and Meghan are facing criticism after it emerged their tour of Africa cost nearly £250,000.
As they continue to ruffle some feathers in America, a new poll suggests two-thirds of Brits think they should lose their royal titles.
@simonvigar5 | #5News
2:23 AM · Sep 26, 2020·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut

https://twitter.com/5_News/status/1309529039334449153

Unfortunately, I can only watched the first minute of the video. It's probably because I am not from the UK.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Would be very interesting to see the explanation of removing the Sussexes titles while maintaining others. 2021 shall be fascinating.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Would be very interesting to see the explanation of removing the Sussexes titles while maintaining others. 2021 shall be fascinating.
We know that only Parliament can remove the Sussex’s titles, but would they? Under what conditions would they consider it necessary? It is a slippery slope for sure.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If I were to guess, it would be because that the US lodged a complaint with the foreign office and the UK government “urged” the Queen to do so. It is extremely believable that someone as thin skinned as Trump would do so.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Nobility

And why would the US President do that? Anything goes sideways it must be his fault???? wow did not know that.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Let's not speculate about the removal of the Sussex titles, whether or not a US representative will request it, whether or not Meghan is interested in running for US President, etc.

If it ANY of the above happens we will open a thread to discuss the topic.

But until that event happens.....

Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 AM
Courtier

I doubt they'll travel to the UK for Christmas. Anyone arriving from the US has to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. And we're only allowed to meet up in groups of six, or one household if you have more than six people in your household, and, in many areas, no visitors are allowed at all unless it's in a public open space. Up to 30 people can attend church services, but it'd seem unwise for the Queen to do so, given her age. I don't think we'll be getting too many pictures from Sandringham this year :-( .
Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I doubt they'll travel to the UK for Christmas. Anyone arriving from the US has to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. And we're only allowed to meet up in groups of six, or one household if you have more than six people in your household, and, in many areas, no visitors are allowed at all unless it's in a public open space. Up to 30 people can attend church services, but it'd seem unwise for the Queen to do so, given her age. I don't think we'll be getting too many pictures from Sandringham this year :-( .
And I don't think Archie is going to physically meet his paternal cousins (George, Charlotte, Louis, Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena and Baby Brooksbank, due in early 2021) anytime soon. What is even sadder is that Harry and Eugenie were close growing up and would love to see their children
Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Courtier

Could I ask a question of our contributors from the USA, I believe Meghan made an appearance on America's got Talent to support an act. Would this appearance have taken place say 4 years ago, and if so would it have received any publicity.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Could I ask a question of our contributors from the USA, I believe Meghan made an appearance on America's got Talent to support an act. Would this appearance have taken place say 4 years ago, and if so would it have received any publicity.

If you are asking if Meghan was well enough known 4 years ago to make a special appearance on AGT? The answer would be no. Though they do have celebrities make special appearances on shows like this plenty.

If you are asking if a royal appeared on the show 4 years ago would it have got such publicity? Yes.

Are you asking if it would have been okay for a royal to do four years ago?

We have to remember Harry and Meghan are no longer working royals. They aren't held to the same guidelines any more. They have the same freedom as someone like Peter and Zara to appear on tv or host podcasts and such.

But they aren't the first royals (senior working royals) to appear on tv either. Kate and William did the Christmas special last year.

I know it was for charity but who can forget the 'Grand Knockout tournament' of the 1980's. If senior royals can do that, Meghan making a quick appearance on AGT to support a contestant like Archie, is not shocking.

Not only Andrew, Edward and Anne of all people shocked me, but even the Duke of Gloucester was one of the 4 dukes who served as judges.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla, Sophie and Louise all also were on Strictly Come Dancing. Camilla a judge. Sophie and daughter guests in audience (this year I believe). Harry also attended X Factor years ago.

So yeah the royals have all done stuff like this before. Though as for Meghan? The “Archie” connection was pretty obvious to why it was done, but if you asking if she would have done a guest spot? Sure. She had on other shows like “Chopped” and such.

Would she got the global attention? Probably not but that’s life and hers has changed. Much like everyone’s has due to circumstances.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Camilla, Sophie and Louise all also were on Strictly Come Dancing. Camilla a judge. Sophie and daughter guests in audience (this year I believe). Harry also attended X Factor years ago.

So yeah the royals have all done stuff like this before. Though as for Meghan? The “Archie” connection was pretty obvious to why it was done, but if you asking if she would have done a guest spot? Sure. She had on other shows like “Chopped” and such.

Would she got the global attention? Probably not but that’s life and hers has changed. Much like everyone’s has due to circumstances.
Sophie and Louise appear as audience members at late November 2018 (Series 16 Week 10), after Louise' 15th birthday on 8th November. They made a cameo appearance in the audience after the first couple's performance.
Sophie and Lady Louise attended the show in late November, and cheered on contestants as they clapped along with huge smiles across their faces after Greame Swann and Oti Mabuse opened the night with their Quickstep. Sophie looked beautiful for the special occasion in a simple black dress, while Louise looked pretty in a purple lace dress.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...dancing-visit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict...es_16)#Week_10

On a side note: I can't believe Lady Louise is turning 17 this year!

Mike Tindall is the co-host of the podcast House of Rugby on JOE UK, along with James Haskell. I do think he got this opportunity, because he is a former Rugby Union player rather than the husband of the Queen's granddaughter.

Mike Tindall has also competed The Jump, which is a "British television series that followed celebrities as they tried to master various winter sports including skeleton, bobsleigh, snowskates, ski cross, and giant slalom". On most occasions, he was introduced as a former Rugby Union player. Apparently, he did ask for the Queen's permission.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...ission-4738071

He has also appear on an episode A league of Their Own, which is a "British sports-based comedy panel game" broadcasted on sky. I did watch a video with just Mike talking. Although there was some discussion on the Royal Family, as a side note, sport is still the main topic.

Mike Tindall and Meghan are obviously different, despite both marry into the Royal family. Zara is not titled (she is not Lady Zara Tindall, had her father not decline an Earldom) and never once a Working Royal. Prince Harry is titled and was at one point expected to be full-time working royal, until they stepped down.

If the Mirror article is true, I think it's great that Mike Tindall did ask the queen for permission to appear as a celebrity on The Jump, even though he is not really using his royal connection to put on TV. He is more known for his rugby career.

In hindsight, I wish Royal Family members whether they are senior working or junior private citizens ask The Queen's permission or opinions before they sign up to appear on TV or other media.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Unlikely. But AGT is nothing like it used to be, still fairly big.
To be fair the singer, Archie, looked confused as to who this woman was.
and besides the usual suspects I haven't seen the US media covering this.
so it did not create the attraction she was probably aiming for.

probably because she was supposed to support the singer and the charity he is involved with, yet did what Meghan does best- make it about her rather than the cause.

This was a pure PR appearance, as most of of her appearances are, so that people won't forget she exists. It's actually interesting, and very sad, to watch someone who due to her royal connection has received near A-list status is still using C-list/influencer style PR tactics.

@Aco
Meghan was on Chopped Junior back in 2016 - as google tells me (also, I didn't even remember chopped had a junior show), i'm guessing SS or an agent managed to get her this gig- probably due to her blog. it is exactly the kind of low rated reality show c-list actors/influencers/basic bloggers try to get on to get their names out there - it rarely works.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Nobility

Since the question was directed at American contributors, I'm guessing the question wasn't aimed at the royal angle (whether a royal would have done this 4 years ago) but whether Meghan was well enough known here four years ago to make such an appearance.

The answer, as my fellow Americans have said, is certainly not. I'm guessing her appearance on Chopped Junior was due to connections from her relationship with Cory Vitiello.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Since the question was directed at American contributors, I'm guessing the question wasn't aimed at the royal angle (whether a royal would have done this 4 years ago) but whether Meghan was well enough known here four years ago to make such an appearance.

The answer, as my fellow Americans have said, is certainly not. I'm guessing her appearance on Chopped Junior was due to connections from her relationship with Cory Vitiello.
You are correct, it wasn't aimed at the royal angle.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Although this link is to the Daily Mail, the original source is "The Sunday Times".

Royal aides have spoken to "The Sunday Times" about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their promises to The Queen.

Her Majesty was keeping Prince Harry's positions in the UK open for him in case he returned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ior-aides.html
Old 09-26-2020, 11:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Although this link is to the Daily Mail, the original source is "The Sunday Times".

Royal aides have spoken to "The Sunday Times" about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their promises to The Queen.

Her Majesty was keeping Prince Harry's positions in the UK open for him in case he returned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ior-aides.html
Thank you Sun Lion for the Daily Mail article. For anyone interested, here is the original Sunday Times article, that is behind a paywall: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...tles-s2dcf7m7q

I agree with the "royal aid" that Harry and Meghan has broken the agreement "upholding the values of the Queen" by getting into the "muddy waters" of US presidential elections. Here is an extract from the Daily Mail article:
Members of the royal family are supposed to be politically neutral, and under the Sandringham accord - agreed in March when the pair quit their royal duties - the Sussexes vowed that 'everything they do will uphold the values of Her Majesty'.

However, according to The Sunday Times, royal aides have said that the couple's comments last week have broken their promise from earlier this year.

'The [royal] family are all wringing their hands, thinking: where is this going and does this abide by the deal to uphold the values of the Queen? The feeling is it's a violation of the agreement,' one source told the newspaper.

The sources say that if the agreement is deemed to have been violated, Prince Harry's chances of resuming his connections to the Royal Marines and other military posts he is said to hold dear could be under threat.

The arrangement the Sussexes have with the royal family will be reviewed after a year by The Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge.
I also agree that there is going to be conflicts and issues if Trump does get re-elected and enters the UK for State Visit. This is unless Harry gets "completely airbrushed", which is not likely, because Harry is always the Queen's grandson and her heir's son.
Buckingham palace sough to distance itself from their remarks, with royal sources saying that the monarch had been embarrassed by the comments, asking what the Queen is supposed to say should Donald Trump have another presidential visit.

'If Trump is re-elected and makes another visit here, what is the Queen supposed to say when her grandson and his wife have effectively campaigned against him?' said a source.

A spokesman for the Sussexes said: 'The duke's message is not in reference to any specific political party or candidate, but is instead a call for decency in how we engage with each other.'
On a side note, the next article with the heading "Do Meghan Markle and Prince Harry actually WANT to be stripped of their titles?" is written by the columnist Sarah Vine. She is the wife of Rt Hon. Michael Gove MP, who is currently the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office. I do sometimes wonder does Mr. Gove have the same view (in private) of Harry and Meghan? However, the Government and Cabinet has not been involved in these matters, because there are more important things to worry about.