The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She should have been left to keep her job, in theory, but in practice, the very character of the job would have brought headlines like "Prince Harry's wife preferred to the seasoned actress... insert name." Unfair but inevitable, due to the character of the job. Still, with Meghan being so adamant about keeping her voice, her American PR firm and so on, I can't see her as being forced into abandoning her profession. What would the RF had done, forbidden Harry from marrying her?

For some reason, she chose to stop working and she had a buyer's remorse. She wouldn't be the first one. I suppose she just underestimated the sheer boredom and predictability of the job.

I don't think that Meghan would get the roles though, she wouldn't want to settle for supporting characters and she is not that good an actress to carry a movie, then Harry would have to beg producers for the roles, how embarrassing that would be

Last edited:
I dont think that acting is a job you can combine with a royal role...esp when there would certainly be complaints that she wasn't a good actress and only got roles because of who she was etc etc. But it seems odd that harry seems so horrified at the idea that "someone" said she should keep on acting. You'd think Meghan would be pleased if she had been given permission to keep on with her career.. if ti meant so much to her.
And I mean really, "they" said that she would not get security or any money to keep her? Who paid for her wardrobe and for her working expenses and so on during her 18 months as a Princess? Oh yes I think it was mainly Charles. Or maybe he only chipped in when Harry raised a fuss about having no money to keep his wife....

Last edited:
What do you mean by ‘public theatre’? The BBC drama department?

I can think of several scenarios where the fact that Meghan was married to Prince Harry could have caused problems. The tabloids would have been constantly after cast and crew members to see whether there were problems on set she worked on a TV show or play. If she was well-liked (as she was on Suits) they would have made something up anyway.

Some cast members in these shows don’t get on and if Meghan was close to one cast member and not another I can see the Sun or Fail getting into that and casting aspersions.

If Meghan went for a film role and didn’t get it the tabloids would follow it and be cock a hoop. If she did get it then there would be assertions that somehow it was undue influence due to who she was.

If she earned a big salary at any time that would be blazoned all over the media. In an ensemble cast, members who didn’t earn as much and could be resentful would be asked to comment.

If Meghan worked for a BBC production in-house the journalists would be scraping around there for gossip. God forbid if she became friendly with a male actor, as she was with a couple in the cast of Suits. If they were seen having lunch together, even with others, the fat would be in the fire, and there would be speculation about her and Harry’s relationship.

Last edited:
She could have stopped acting and gone to working with public theatre in the UK for example. But It was her who was desperate to give up her career and get out giving her worthy speeches.

Speaking of UK theatre, Ruthie Henshall, a renowned British musical theatre actress who once dated Prince Edward mentioned that royal life would not suit her. She was aware that had stayed or married Edward, she would not continue to have a musical career.
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Henshall talks of love for prince

There was also the infamous clip of Ruthie Henshall detailing her experience with the Royal Family at Balmoral when she was at I'm a celebrity, get me out of here. She also did an interview with Lorraine after she left the "jungle/castle" in Wales.

I understand that being an actress singing/dancing/acting on stage is different from being a backstage behind the scene producers/runners

The situation of an heir to the Throne with adult children who obviously have to be housed somewhere and are full time royals had never happened before in British history.

This is not true. When Queen Victoria died in 1901 and her son Edward VII ascended to the throne he was 60 years old, his children, meaning Victoria's grandchildren were Prince Albert Victor (b. 1864 d 1892 age 28 at death), George V (b. 1865 age 36 in 1901), Princess Louise, (b. 1867 age 34 in 1901), Princess Victoria (b. 1868 age 33 in 1901), Princess Maud (b. 1869 age 32 in 1901).

I also want to point out that the future George the V had 3 children by the time Victoria passed away, a daughter and 2 sons.

Please note, I am only talking about Edward VII's children. Victoria's other children had NUMEROUS other children of their own. She had grandchildren and great-grandchildren all over Europe so this has happened before.

The difference is it was before WWI and many of the monarchies of the world were deposed from their thrones so things could be done slightly differently then.

This is not true. When Queen Victoria died in 1901 and her son Edward VII ascended to the throne he was 60 years old, his children, meaning Victoria's grandchildren were Prince Albert Victor (b. 1864 d 1892 age 28 at death), George V (b. 1865 age 36 in 1901), Princess Louise, (b. 1867 age 34 in 1901), Princess Victoria (b. 1868 age 33 in 1901), Princess Maud (b. 1869 age 32 in 1901).

I also want to point out that the future George the V had 3 children by the time Victoria passed away, a daughter and 2 sons.

Please note, I am only talking about Edward VII's children. Victoria's other children had NUMEROUS other children of their own. She had grandchildren and great-grandchildren all over Europe so this has happened before.

The difference is it was before WWI and many of the monarchies of the world were deposed from their thrones so things could be done slightly differently then.

Indeed the future George VI was named Albert to pacify his Great grandmother for having the sad audacity to be born on the anniversary on his great grandfather Prince Albert's death.

Incidentally he was born at York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate. It was given as a wedding present to his parents. It's bigger than Frogmore Cottage but not very grand at all and is now the estate offices and has flats for estate employees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Cottage

I know all about King Edward VII and his children and Queen Victoria’s. I stated very carefully in my post ‘FULL TIME royals’ when referring to the heir to the British throne and his adult children.

The future George V when Duke of York, was not performing royal duties fulltime as the Prince of Wales’s son and second in line heir to the throne. His official biographer later referred to him living at York Cottage at Sandringham and spending the vast majority of his time shooting birds and tending to his stamp collection until his grandmother died, and even later.

Had he not become heir due to his older brother’s death, he would have continued his naval career. If he had married in those circumstances he would have undoubtedly received a home either on a royal estate or with the help of his father. As it was, he was granted York Cottage (even though he was not a royal who performed fulltime duties.)

George’s sisters certainly weren’t fulltime royal workers. Louise spent much of her time in Scotland with her family. Maud was in Denmark, then Norway, and Victoria was more or less the single daughter at home then hand maiden to her mother.

Of course George and his wife May became more active when Prince and Princess of Wales, and they, and George’s sisters did do a certain number of royal duties and some charity work when Queen Victoria was on the throne but certainly were not regarded as full time royals in the way senior royals are now, performing hundreds of engagements a year. It was not expected of them.

The emphasis began to change after WW1. William and Harry were the first sons of any Prince of Wales who were expected to become full time royals while the monarch who was their grandparent was still alive. That was what I was referring to.

Last edited:
Weren't there quite a few people who said when H&M started dating the Palace tried to be a supportive as possible by making it clear they would try to work out a way, if desired, for Meghan to still be able to act. I don't think there was anything more to these reports other than the RF and staff trying to be as supportive as possible, likely based on the fact Harry's other serious GFs had all baulked at the thought of having to give up their future careers if joining the RF.

Of course, as Meghan decided to give up her acting we never got to see the end result of any possible strategy to allow Meghan to keep acting. I think it would have been hugely difficult if Harry was a full time working royal in the traditional sense but maybe there were also bigger discussions being had about what exact role H&M would have.

Meghan however did not ‘get to live in a Palace’, she and Harry were given former staff accommodation, and I don’t believe that any Royal from any dynasty living in the 21st century would wish to live as the Habsburgs or Romanovs did in the 1850s and ‘60s. So Meghan being an American actress is irrelevant.

You obviously find the situation with Frogmore Cottage very upsetting, the couple themselves didn't appear to have a problem with it.
Or is there something the rest of us dont know yet.

Meghan wasn’t really trying to shed a light on mental illness IMO. The point was to get sympathy and throw the monarchy under the bus. It’s one of the reasons I was annoyed that the White House commented on it.

I think Meghan and Harry are a walking advertisement for what you said about leaving the situation: that it doesn’t mean mental issues are magically cured. This interview, their friend being authorized to talk, the emails now leaking don’t happen when you’ve moved on and are in a good place. This is nasty and vindictive.

Is it any less nasty and vindictive as the BRF has been toward her by not correcting the false narrative that was put forth by the British press...

I understand many here are royalists...but as an American woman, I do not understand the need to vilify Meghan.

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't just stick them in an empty staff apartment. IIRC, Frogmore had been divided into four or five different apartments for staff, and they were combined into one good-sized house when H&M moved in. That's why the renovations were so expensive - lots of walls being knocked out. I don't know enough about the history of any of the palaces to say for sure, but I'd be surprised if the rooms currently used for staff have always been for staff rather than royals, and vice versa. They're just too old for quarters to never have been renovated and reshuffled.

Is it any less nasty and vindictive as the BRF has been toward her by not correcting the false narrative that was put forth by the British press....

I understand many here are royalists...but as an American woman, I do not understand the need to vilify Meghan.

In American terms what you suggest actually would be akin to the President of the United States censoring or correcting everything he didn't like that came out that put one of his/her family members in a bad light. Or... forcing a member of Congress to resign his position because of rumors and allegations. Ain't gonna happen in this reality.

It's not about being a monarchist, a royalist, a republican or a vegetarian. It's about what one can and what one cannot do. Simple. ?

Is it any less nasty and vindictive as the BRF has been toward her by not correcting the false narrative that was put forth by the British press...

Setting aside the fact that many of those "false narratives" have ended up being true, what Meghan and Harry are doing is still worse. If they could prove with 100% certainty that this "false narrative" was deliberately created by family members talking to the press, then it would be comparable, but they haven't claimed that - and they haven't been shy about making outrageous claims, so it seems they don't believe that's happening. So what we're left with is the press making stuff up, and the royals ignoring it entirely. That's very, very different from Meghan (and perhaps Harry) deliberately creating negative stories about the rest of the family because they're mad at the rest of the family for ignoring the press.

And maybe I missed it, but when was it proven that Andrew did any of those things? The appropriate place to sort out anyone's responsibility, or lack thereof, for criminal misconduct is in the court system, not in the media or in the Queen's drawing room.

Which false narratives? Because a good deal of them turned out to be true. And the BRF never corrects any narratives about themselves. They didn't do it for Camilla, Sarah, Catherine, they didn't do it when the press was after the Queen's *teenaged* royal granddaughters, targeting them as leechers and scroungers. But Meghan is so much more special? Why? I don't get it.

Why do you think we're vilifying Meghan here? We didn't make her say untruths and twist things on TV. We didn't make her staff complain. Is this because we think that other people should be given the chance to share "their truth" as well? Because this isn't a right reserved just for Harry and Meghan.

I know all about King Edward VII and his children and Queen Victoria’s. I stated very carefully in my post ‘FULL TIME royals’ when referring to the heir to the British throne and his adult children.

The future George V when Duke of York, was not performing royal duties fulltime as the Prince of Wales’s son and second in line heir to the throne. His official biographer later referred to him living at York Cottage at Sandringham and spending the vast majority of his time shooting birds and tending to his stamp collection until his grandmother died, and even later.

Had he not become heir due to his older brother’s death, he would have continued his naval career. If he had married in those circumstances he would have undoubtedly received a home either on a royal estate or with the help of his father. As it was, he was granted York Cottage (even though he was not a royal who performed fulltime duties.)

George’s sisters certainly weren’t fulltime royal workers. Louise spent much of her time in Scotland with her family. Maud was in Denmark, then Norway, and Victoria was more or less the single daughter at home then hand maiden to her mother.

Of course George and his wife May became more active when Prince and Princess of Wales, and they, and George’s sisters did do a certain number of royal duties and some charity work when Queen Victoria was on the throne but certainly were not regarded as full time royals in the way senior royals are now, performing hundreds of engagements a year. It was not expected of them.

The emphasis began to change after WW1. William and Harry were the first sons of any Prince of Wales who were expected to become full time royals while the monarch who was their grandparent was still alive. That was what I was referring to.

But they did need to be housed. So that issue did still exist. It's clear you don't like Frogmore and see the fact that this residence was given to H&M as some sort of slight even though it has been made clear that several residences were offered to H&M and they themselves chose FC. Clearly you wouldn't have chosen it but they did. Perhaps they didn't see it as a slight. And if they had waited longer than 2 years they would have gotten a country estate.

Monarchies aren't equal. There is a hierarchy. Elizabeth was more important than Margaret. Charles is more important than any of his siblings. William is more important than Harry. George is more important than his siblings. In each and every one of these cases that means the eldest gets perks the other(s) doesn't. That's just the way it goes.

Harry should have realized that and so should every other person out there.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

I understand many here are royalists... but as an American woman, I do not understand the need to vilify Meghan.

I’m an American woman. I frankly don’t like what I’ve seen publicly from Meghan in the last year and a half. I liked her at first. But- I’ve re- thought a lot of my initial positive impressions.

I don’t take Meghan’s word for anything. I have no reason to. She’s said things that are proven lies, twisted things around, she and Harry can’t tell coherent and consistent stories, etc. Besides- with my professional background- I’m not inclined to take “Meghan said....” as proof.

The BRF don’t correct the majority of stories out there. Meghan was not treated differently than Catherine, Camilla, Sophie, etc. She should have done what other very famous people do- and what she herself said she did and obviously didn’t do- ignored it and moved on. Besides- I’m not sure what’s true and what isn’t that got reported. But I sure won’t take Meghan’s word got it.

Put it this way- when I first heard- “what Meghan wants, Meghan gets” reported, I dismissed it. I didn’t buy it. But- it sounds plausible to me now.

In American terms what you suggest actually would be akin to the President of the United States censoring or correcting everything he didn't like that came out that put one of his/her family members in a bad light. Or... forcing a member of Congress to resign his position because of rumors and allegations. Ain't gonna happen in this reality.

It's not about being a monarchist, a royalist, a republican or a vegetarian. It's about what one can and what one cannot do. Simple. ?

Great analogy. Thanks.

Hmmmm... So, I'll be the first to observe that Harry is not wearing his mask correctly. What's the point if you're not going to cover up your nose? (I know a bunch of figure skating fans who would scream about how he was endangering the entire world if he was any of a number of well-known Russian skaters or coaches, but that's a topic for another forum, lol...)

With regard to Meghan and her request to "go somewhere" for mental health treatment being denied by "the Institution", you have to wonder how many people at BP/KP aren't looking back thinking "yeah, we should have let her go where she wanted, regardless of security/privacy concerns and let the media chips fall where they would have fallen." I'm sure, no matter how it played out, our Meghan would have found a way to twist and blame "the Institution" for it going badly or being leaked but at least she would have gotten the help she thought would be most beneficial, right?

Hmmmm... So, I'll be the first to observe that Harry is not wearing his mask correctly. What's the point if you're not going to cover up your nose? (I know a bunch of figure skating fans who would scream about how he was endangering the entire world if he was any of a number of well-known Russian skaters or coaches, but that's a topic for another forum, lol...)

With regard to Meghan and her request to "go somewhere" for mental health treatment being denied by "the Institution", you have to wonder how many people at BP/KP aren't looking back thinking "yeah, we should have let her go where she wanted, regardless of security/privacy concerns and let the media chips fall where they would have fallen." I'm sure, no matter how it played out, our Meghan would have found a way to twist and blame "the Institution" for it going badly or being leaked but at least she would have gotten the help she thought would be most beneficial, right?

My educated guess would be that the "institution" (the PTB that arranges this stuff or even Harry's family) would stand on their heads and spit nickels to rush to get her into an inpatient facility without wasting a minute *if* she had a physician (or accredited mental health professional) assess her and deem that this was the method and treatment he/she would prescribe.

I don't believe we're getting the full story on this. Just that she wanted to check in somewhere and was told "no".

I'm watching Bill Maher and he just joked that "There's a surge of migrants at the border and we can't take any more migrants who don't want to work. We already have Meghan and Harry". This is the second time he's joked about them. He doesn't like the royal family either.

It really is. I want to be the first one on my block to have a signed chicken!! That chicken will get along famously with the dog, the birds, the squirrels and the possum around here. I think I'll name it.. Fred. ?

I'm watching Bill Maher and he just joked that "There's a surge of migrants at the border and we can't take any more migrants who don't want to work. We already have Meghan and Harry". This is the second time he's joked about them. He doesn't like the royal family either.

LMAO! That's hilarious.

What do you mean by ‘public theatre’? The BBC drama department?

I can think of several scenarios where the fact that Meghan was married to Prince Harry could have caused problems. The tabloids would have been constantly after cast and crew members to see whether there were problems on set she worked on a TV show or play. If she was well-liked (as she was on Suits) they would have made something up anyway.

Some cast members in these shows don’t get on and if Meghan was close to one cast member and not another I can see the Sun or Fail getting into that and casting aspersions.

If Meghan went for a film role and didn’t get it the tabloids would follow it and be cock a hoop. If she did get it then there would be assertions that somehow it was undue influence due to who she was.

If she earned a big salary at any time that would be blazoned all over the media. In an ensemble cast, members who didn’t earn as much and could be resentful would be asked to comment.

If Meghan worked for a BBC production in-house the journalists would be scraping around there for gossip. God forbid if she became friendly with a male actor, as she was with a couple in the cast of Suits. If they were seen having lunch together, even with others, the fat would be in the fire, and there would be speculation about her and Harry’s relationship.

The BBC drama department. Not likely. The UK has several largely funded theatres National, RSC who receive public funding and as part of that they have A remit including public outreach and education. She could have worked with this. I mean she wasn't a great actress and not good at all in UK terms. But she could have gone to work behind the scenes on these. I think, in the future, if you are married in you should be able to keep working....with adjustments to her career of course.
The media really wouldn't be i terested. They werent interested in Williams jobs, Beas, Eug.

The BBC drama department. Not likely. The UK has several largely funded theatres National, RSC who receive public funding and as part of that they have A remit including public outreach and education. She could have worked with this. I mean she wasn't a great actress and not good at all in UK terms. But she could have gone to work behind the scenes on these. I think, in the future, if you are married in you should be able to keep working....with adjustments to her career of course.
The media really wouldn't be i terested. They werent interested in Williams jobs, Beas, Eug.

Harry recommended her for voice overs, she could have found work there.
Seriously once again I am not sure what to believe, did they suggest it as a way to ease her into such a huge life change , was it said light heartedly ,I no longer know what to believe other than there has possibly been a conversation but the context like the others we do not know.

Last edited:
Sophie carried on working after her marriage, but there were allegations that she was using her connections. If you're in PR, you *do* use your connections: it's the way the industry works, and I think she was criticised unfairly. Then there was all that nasty Fake Sheikh business, and, eventually, she felt obliged to give it up. But no-one makes a fuss about Beatrice and Eugenie's jobs, so maybe we've moved on.

Prince Harry has written the foreword to a new book to be distributed in the UK to children who have lost parents. The Hospital on the Hill.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...k/news-story/a1d91656e2d42223f2f0eabfaf8f086c

It is to do with the day of reflection on Monday and it is specifically for children whose parents died on the frontline this year. I don't agree with the day of reflection...too soon and after reading what he wrote I am not sure about that either. There are beautiful books for children suffering bereavement and it needs to be dealt with very sensitively. I am not sure saying there was a hole inside me helps. Perhaps a child psychogist should have structured his words. It is important to be upfront with children about this but the wording is so important. Michael Rosen book about looking his son is fantastic for children as is Paper Dolls and Missing Mummy. Just a few. I mean so am not sure Harry was qualified to do this.

Last edited:
Another egregious thing is that the royal firm allowed the U.K. media to publish reports that it was Meghan and Harry who didn't want to give their son a title, which was not the case.

The Duke and Duchess have never denied that it was their personal choice not to give their son a courtesy title such as Earl of Dumbarton.

Here is the official statement sent to reporters from Buckingham Palace on behalf of the Sussexes in May 2019. It addressed only courtesy titles, not royal titles, as the terms of the 1917 Letters Patent were well-known and reported on in the U.K. media.

“While there are courtesy titles that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could apply to their son, they have chosen not to give him a “courtesy title” at this time. So he will be known as Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.”​

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...e-a-prince-once-charles-is-king-a4137941.html

Apart from Earl of Dumbarton, other courtesy titles which the couple could have chosen to apply to their son are

- Lord Kilkeel (the barony conferred on Prince Harry)
- Lord Mountbatten-Windsor (the traditional courtesy title used by the eldest son of a duke, marquess, or earl who does not hold another peerage of lower rank)
- Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor (the traditional courtesy title of a younger son of a duke)

The usual suspects (York, Kent, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Gloucester) are already taken and Albany or Cumberland are still on the limbo caused by the Titles Deprivation Act 1917.

...and even with those, Cumberland and Albany still aren't available, so it's just not that simple.

Albany may be available still, as it may have no legally legitimate heirs.

Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom