The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maia_Mia, have you watched the interview? I am asking this sincerely, not out of sarcasm.

I am asking because your portrayal of what was said aligns very closely with what some media is depicting was said, but not at all closely with what Meghan and Harry, together in the totality of their comments, actually said in the interview.

Indeed, it would be very difficult, IMO, to listen to the entire interview start to finish, and conclude either that the Sussexes were told anything about future Letters Patent, or that a conversation took place where a member of the Royal Family connected anything about Archie's skin color to his titles, security, or anything else about his position in the Royal Family. People who are making these connections (and by people, I mean the media) are doing so by pulling out snippets of things Meghan said without either viewing them side-by-side with Harry's, um, clarifying comments or Meghan's own... further clarifying comments.

We will never, ever know exactly what conversation took place regarding Archie's possible skin tone unless one of the parties involved chooses to reveal the names of those involved AND has some sort of recording to tell us exactly what was said and in what context. Could there have been demeaning and hurtful speculation over what his skin color would be? Sure there could. It's absolutely entirely plausible. Could there have been a perfectly innocent conversation about "my, Harry is so pale with freckles and red hair and Meghan has such dark hair and darker skin tones, I wonder if the kids could get her skin tone with his hair" or something of that nature that was had with Harry and Meghan totally misinterpreted? Absolutely there could... It's quite easy, actually, to imagine that a conversation took place around the fact that the family would love Archie dearly no matter how dark or light he may be but that they worried how best to protect and shield him if and when he might face taunts and comments regarding his skin tone should he be of darker coloring. And, if that is the case, there's nothing at all racist there and nothing at all saying that his skin tone is a problem, only that they recognize it for what it is and wish to protect him and guide him while still loving him for who he is. Simply put, without context, it's easy to allow imaginations to run wild...

I didn't mention this in order for perfectly natural wondering to be used as some kind of excuse or cover scenario for the BRF. There's no mistaking what M&H said. Harry would never have told Meghan had the conversation not happened and completely upset him due to being brought up in terms of how their children possibly having 'dark skin' might look or what it would mean for the monarchy.

Then after Meghan became pregnant, there were additional conversations surrounding security and eventually changing the Letters Patent to prevent Harry's offspring automatically becoming HRH Prince/Princess. And once again, the excuse being used regarding 'slimming down of the monarchy' never was intended to be applied to Harry, his wife, and his offspring, until he met and married Meghan.

Another egregious thing is that the royal firm allowed the U.K. media to publish reports that it was Meghan and Harry who didn't want to give their son a title, which was not the case. Also, the U.K. media continually slammed M&H for not presenting their baby outside the hospital, when that was something the firm never discussed with M&H, and never made any arrangements to take place. Meanwhile, unsubstantiated and ultimately false rumors of all types abounded in the U.K. media about everything from doulas, to natural births, to home births.

There were no clarifying comments................ that is the problem

I didn't mention this in order for perfectly natural wondering to be used as some kind of excuse or cover scenario for the BRF. There's no mistaking what M&H said. Harry would never have told Meghan had the conversation not happened and completely upset him due to being brought up in terms of how their children possibly having 'dark skin' might look or what it would mean for the monarchy.

Then after Meghan became pregnant, there were additional conversations surrounding security and eventually changing the Letters Patent to prevent Harry's offspring automatically becoming HRH Prince/Princess. And once again, the excuse being used regarding 'slimming down of the monarchy' never was intended to be applied to Harry, his wife, and his offspring.

Another egregious thing is that the royal firm allowed the U.K. media to publish reports that it was Meghan and Harry who didn't want to give their son a title, which was not the case. Also, the U.K. media continually slammed M&H for not presenting their baby outside the hospital, when that was something the firm never discussed with M&H, and never made any arrangements to take place. Meanwhile, unsubstantiated and ultimately false rumors of all types abounded in the U.K. media about everything from doulas, to natural births, to home births.

Then who chose to only give Archie the title "Master Archie"? Did Charles say "the baby's not gong ot have any title... he will just be master Archie although he would usually be known as teh Earl o f Dumbarton?" Really?

Then after Meghan became pregnant, there were additional conversations surrounding security and eventually changing the Letters Patent to prevent Harry's offspring automatically becoming HRH Prince/Princess. And once again, the excuse being used regarding 'slimming down of the monarchy' never was intended to be applied to Harry, his wife, and his offspring, until he met and married Meghan.

They couldn't match up the stories, he said one conversation in the early days before they were even engaged she had said several conversations when she was pregnant.
I have said before on this forum if the palace rejects every inaccurate story then the minute an accurate unfavourable true story is printed and they do not deny it , the story is confirmed by default.

I admire that you are putting up a defence for Meghan but it does not hold water.

It strikes me that I don't think "Earl of Dumbarton" was ever used once in the interview, was it?

As in 'Archie has a title that we should have been using and chose not to, so we're focusing on the title that he was never meant to have at this stage, trying to gain sympathy from people who don't know how this works'.

Nope. Means you actually can't go through doors unless you have a white gloved butler to open it for you.

Ok. Ok. I'll show myself out. Just attempting a little levity to interrupt very serious discussions which I'm really enjoying TBH. :D

I was going to come back with the nationalities of some of the team within the palace, but I will let it go, I am enjoying this as well,

Maia_Mia, have you watched the interview? I am asking this sincerely, not out of sarcasm.

I am asking because your portrayal of what was said aligns very closely with what some media is depicting was said, but not at all closely with what Meghan and Harry, together in the totality of their comments, actually said in the interview.

Indeed, it would be very difficult, IMO, to listen to the entire interview start to finish, and conclude either that the Sussexes were told anything about future Letters Patent, or that a conversation took place where a member of the Royal Family connected anything about Archie's skin color to his titles, security, or anything else about his position in the Royal Family. People who are making these connections (and by people, I mean the media) are doing so by pulling out snippets of things Meghan said without either viewing them side-by-side with Harry's, um, clarifying comments or Meghan's own... further clarifying comments.

I've listened to the entire interview twice, and Meghan clearly referenced that there were conversations about changing the current Letters Patent once Charles becomes King, with the purpose of denying Harry's offspring the HRH Prince/Princess designation. She didn't say it was going to happen. She said there were conversations about making that change. So it will be interesting to see what does happen in the not-too-distant future in this regard, particularly in light of these current revelations.

Meghan and Harry were rightly more concerned about the conversations surrounding their future child not being given security, particularly in view of the fact that M&H have both been subjected to death threats.

Last edited:
Please provide source for that. Of any kind.

Seeing as Prince Charles (reportedly) was never very glad Beatrice and Eugenie have HRHs, and Harry's children will be in the same position as them, it makes sense. The HRHs brought Beatrice and Eugenie more pain than gain - what grandfather would wish for that for his own grandchildren?

I think the biggest mistakes that was made by the BRF is presenting William and Harry on an even level. They are not. William is the future king, he will always get more money, bigger house, more houses, his children will get titles, and so on. William and his family are the future. Harry and Meghan were there to play a support role and I can bet my own hand Harry's children (no matter who he had married) were never a part of that. They were supposed to be the Peter and Zara or Louise and James of this generation. But because William and Harry were so often presented together as some sort of a team, people forgot that it'll always be about William more. Perhaps even Harry forgot about that.

Last edited:
Racism is being talked about in the US and the UK and has been even before the interview. The issue is whether the interview brought more understanding. I would say that it hasn't. As Osipi stated, they alleged things that were demonstrably false. CBS or Harpo actually had to edit headlines and pull headlines from other countries because the real headlines didn't fit their narrative. False accusations of racism make it more difficult for to address real racism.

No one may be saying that but that is what is going to happen when Harry and Meghan leak a name of someone they are unhappy with. That remark, whether it was taken out of context (or said at all), will be dredged up at every opportunity.

I don't feel it has brought about any particular understanding. Harry and Meghan certainly didn't use the interview as a chance to educate anyone or a platform for healing.

There have been some good discussions and a few good opinion pieces but I'd say 90% has been exhausting and unconstructive for everyone.

Then we get to the obviously factually untrue statements they made that don't help anyone (including themselves) see what went wrong and what actually needs to change within "The Institution" the family and wider society.

The also couldn't agree on what happened themselves on both the "racism" comment and the mental health issue and came up with two different answers and no where did Oprah ask them to clarify it. That just muddies the waters even further and doesn't produce understanding.

They used the interview as a chance to have a temper tantrum about everything, took no responsibility for their part in anything that happened and then to top it off allowed Gayle King to leak the family's attempts to heal the rift and openly say "it's unproductive and Harry and Meghan are upset that everyone's talking about racism in the BRF and not how mean the press were to them!" Those aren't the actions of people who want healing and understanding.

On the other side of the coin, the US executive branch of the government allowed the US media to print those blatant statements that there was a free and fair election among the people. Unfortunately though, the executive office of the US government played silly reindeer games in rebuttal and we see where that got us. :eek:

My point is that the monarchy has no control or censorship of the media to suit their agendas. They prefer to take the stance though of not playing silly reindeer games and adding fuel to the fire and get twisted and turned into something it's not.

I've listened to the entire interview twice, and Meghan clearly referenced that there were conversations about changing the current Letters Patent once Charles becomes King, with the purpose of denying Harry's offspring the HRH Prince/Princess designation. She didn't say it was going to happen. She said there were conversations about making that change. So it will be interesting to see what does happen in the not-too-distant future in this regard, particularly in light of these current revelations.

Meghan and Harry were rightly more concerned about the conversations surrounding their future child not being given security, particularly in view of the fact that M&H have both been subjected to death threats.

I do not think anybody on here is saying that Charles will never consider making changes, as those who follow the royal family and not just the Sussexs will be aware of the problems with too many titles, security , jobs etc etc. but I do not think there is any evidence that it is to down to Archie being Bi racial.

To be fair Curryong of all the things the couple raised in the interview, the cottage was not one of them as far as I remember unless it is on the cutting room floor.
I think the word cottage is giving the wrong impression of the property, it is substantial while still ideal for a family who had already stated their aim to be part time in the uk.

You obviously have strong views on this but your comparisons are not on a level playing field.

We have no way of knowing what plans for accommodation would have been running in the background for the future.

They probably decided that wining about FC in Windsor would not bring in much sympathy, as they are now living a 14 million dollar mansion

I don't have great hopes for such an insular, outdated institution in which dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors have now been more fully exposed.

The monarchy is not insular or outdated. In fact it serves a useful function in the modern British constitution & has an internationlist outlook.

Nothing has been exposed at all. Just someone's opinion expressed in an interview. For titillation & entertainment.

There's no reason to disbelieve the conversations that Harry relayed during the Oprah interview, regardless of 'recollections varying' by whomever. There's no way specific and multiple conversations of that nature, said to have transpired both before and after M&H were wed, can be misunderstood.

Plus, there's no reason to disbelieve or deny that M&H were told current Letters Patent would likely be modified when Charles became King in order to prevent Archie and any additional sibling(s) from becoming HRH Prince/ Princess, purely on the basis of concerns surrounding 'skin color.' Denying M&H's offspring royal titles has nothing to do with goals of 'slimming down the monarchy.' Harry and his future wife and children were always intended to be a core part of the 'slimmed-down monarchy.' That is until Harry met Meghan.

There are obviously valid reasons to question the credibility of Mr & Mrs Windsor. I suspect their venom clouds their veracity.

Harry Windsor's children would never have been working royals. That's very obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, the way H&M have handled this entire fiasco has all but guaranteed, IMO, a new LP from Charles removing the HRH for all but the children of the monarch, and the children of the heir, and possibly the children of the heir's direct heir, plus the appropriate spouses.

It won't have anything to do with racism either. It will simply be "well, they are not working royals, so there is no need for their children to carry the HRH title."

Archie & sister will get by on the titles they have due to their father being a Duke and that's it.

Also, the U.K. media continually slammed M&H for not presenting their baby outside the hospital, when that was something the firm never discussed with M&H, and never made any arrangements to take place.

This is honestly almost laughably ridiculous and a really great way for them to deflect the bad press they got for their decisions and project that onto the palace instead by saying "but, but, but...no one told us we were supposed to do that! How were we supposed to know?" Really? I frankly cannot believe that anyone is buying that line. There was simply no possible way that they didn't know that Anne, Diana, Sarah, Sophie (with James and possible Louise when she was well enough), and Kate had all presented their new babies for a few moments before taking them home. They knew exactly what the norm was. And the fact that there was even a statement issued confirming that they would not, in fact, be following that tradition should suffice to show that they certainly knew and chose not to do so. But now that they need to somehow twist things to point fingers at others, they're trying to use the line that no one told them and they didn't know. Nope, not buying it.

I

How many threads were closed down on this forum because of arguments around standing outside the hospital. The fans defended her right not to do it, with comments as she wants to spend time with her child not pose for photographs. With comparisons to other new mothers. She said nobody asked but they put out a statement to the effect that , and I am paraphrasing, that they wanted to be alone as a family for a short time .
Louis was born a month before the wedding did it not dawn on her that she might be asked to do something similar, or does it suit to say she was never asked.

This is honestly almost laughably ridiculous and a really great way for them to deflect the bad press they got for their decisions and project that onto the palace instead by saying "but, but, but...no one told us we were supposed to do that! How were we supposed to know?" Really? I frankly cannot believe that anyone is buying that line. There was simply no possible way that they didn't know that Anne, Diana, Sarah, Sophie (with James and possible Louise when she was well enough), and Kate had all presented their new babies for a few moments before taking them home. They knew exactly what the norm was. And the fact that there was even a statement issued confirming that they would not, in fact, be following that tradition should suffice to show that they certainly knew and chose not to do so. But now that they need to somehow twist things to point fingers at others, they're trying to use the line that no one told them and they didn't know. Nope, not buying it.
but THEY were the ones who said that they wanted NOT to do the walk from the hospital and didn't want to show off the baby till they had time to take him home and spend some time with him. Its ridiculous... to claim that they didn't know about this or that they intended to do it, because they made a statement that they DID NOT want to do it.

We don't need collateral lines to be populated with princes etc. Those times are over. The appetite in Britain is for a smaller monarchy. More modest. Less expansive.

None of this is new. The writing's been on the wall for at least two decades.

What doors? are you saying you can't get a job?

I don't live in Britain, my friend does, and she can most certainly get a job, but unless you speak perfect RP and know people from the upper echelons, it's very difficult to move up the social ladder. She is a Russian and French tutor, and she has plenty of work among the middle classes, but every time she applied for a job among the upper classes,she was turned down, granted, I don't know if was not liked not because she is middle class, I am just relaying what she had told me

Frankly, the way H&M have handled this entire fiasco has all but guaranteed, IMO, a new LP from Charles removing the HRH for all but the children of the monarch, and the children of the heir, and possibly the children of the heir's direct heir, plus the appropriate spouses.

It won't have anything to do with racism either. It will simply be "well, they are not working royals, so there is no need for their children to carry the HRH title."

Archie & sister will get by on the titles they have due to their father being a Duke and that's it.
And according to what forum members, journalists, royal reporters, writers, bloggers and other people with insight into the modern history of the House of Windsor have all said for years that LP further restricting royal titles was going to come anyway had Harry married Princess Madeleine of Sweden, the landlady of the local pub or a biracial American actress. That Harry and his wife were intended to become core members of the working Royal family was always intended but their children never was.

There's no reason to disbelieve the conversations that Harry relayed during the Oprah interview, regardless of 'recollections varying' by whomever. There's no way specific and multiple conversations of that nature, said to have transpired both before and after M&H were wed, can be misunderstood.

Plus, there's no reason to disbelieve or deny that M&H were told current Letters Patent would likely be modified when Charles became King in order to prevent Archie and any additional sibling(s) from becoming HRH Prince/ Princess, purely on the basis of concerns surrounding 'skin color.' Denying M&H's offspring royal titles has nothing to do with goals of 'slimming down the monarchy.' Harry and his future wife and children were always intended to be a core part of the 'slimmed-down monarchy.' That is until Harry met Meghan.

Sorry but that just isn't true. Meghan speaks of several conversations while pregnant, whereas Harry only speaks of one conversation before she was pregnant and says that it was a general question about what their kids would look like, not about Archie specifically. Meghan speaks about "concerns," Harry does not.

Here it is:
Oprah: Meghan shared with us that there was a conversation with you about Archie's skin tone.
Harry: That conversation I'm never going to share. But at the time it was awkward, I was a bit shocked.
Oprah: Can you tell us what the question was?
Harry: No, I'm not comfortable sharing that. But that was right at the beginning.
Oprah: Like what will the baby look like?
Harry: Yeah, what will the kids look like. But that was right at the beginning when she wasn't gonna get security, when members of my family were suggesting that she carries on acting because there's not enough money to pay for her.

Note that Harry did not want to share the question but Oprah skillfully got him to share it anyhow: What will the kids look like? That was the question, according to Harry himself.

Additionally, while Harry was always meant to be a part of the slimmed down monarchy, his kids never were. They were always going to be in the same position as Beatrice & Eugenie, and therefore not working royals.

Hopefully HRH etc will be kept to the main line. I would actually go further as I've mentioned before in the titles thread.

Security is a question for the Met Police because it comes out of taxpayer funds. If they want to pay privately that's up to them.

Here they are with Louise: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...pg?crop=0.566xw:1.00xh;0.184xw,0&resize=768:*
And with James: https://ta-images.condecdn.net/image/vZoLX2z7njG/crop/1620/f/gettyimages-78594690.jpg
(With Louise Sophie stayed in the hospital for longer than usual, for obvious reasons...)

Honestly it was one of the more laughable parts of that interview. Of course they knew that that was expected. Damn, barely a month before the wedding they seen Catherine and William doing so. They organized it this way - and there are statements coming from their office that prove that.

The only thing I can believe is when they said to their office "we want to keep the birth private and don't want photos outside of the hospital" they were told ok. So, yeah, people might have not told them to do so, respecting their decision.

I don't live in Britain, my friend does, and she can most certainly get a job, but unless you speak perfect RP and know people from the upper echelons, it's very difficult to move up the social ladder. She is a Russian and French tutor, and she has plenty of work among the middle classes, but every time she applied for a job among the upper classes,she was turned down, granted, I don't know if was not liked not because she is middle class, I am just relaying what she had told me

or possibly upper class people dont particularly want to learn Russian... Kate Middleton is middle class and she's married the future King.. Sophie RHys Jones likewise has married one of the queen's sons...

Here they are with Louise: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...pg?crop=0.566xw:1.00xh;0.184xw,0&resize=768:*
And with James: https://ta-images.condecdn.net/image/vZoLX2z7njG/crop/1620/f/gettyimages-78594690.jpg
(With Louise Sophie stayed in the hospital for longer than usual, for obvious reasons...)

Honestly it was one of the more laughable parts of that interview. Of course they knew that that was expected. Damn, barely a month before the wedding they seen Catherine and William doing so. They organized it this way - and there are statements coming from their office that prove that.

The only thing I can believe is when they said to their office "we want to keep the birth private and don't want photos outside of the hospital" they were told ok. So, yeah, people might have not told them to do so, respecting their decision.

Or staff may have said "the press will get cross with you if you don't show off the baby for a few mins like most royal mothers have done.. but if you dont want to do it, we can't make you..."

Last edited by a moderator:
They couldn't match up the stories, he said one conversation in the early days before they were even engaged she had said several conversations when she was pregnant...

I admire that you are putting up a defence for Meghan but it does not hold water.

It's not a matter of M&H 'matching up stories.' They spoke from the heart, based on their personal, painful experiences. The fact that somebody spoke to Harry about 'skin color' concerns before he and Meghan were married, does not negate that a number of subsequent conversations occurred once Meghan was pregnant.

I don't need to put up a 'defense' for Meghan. I'm merely sharing my views and perceptions in an honest, forthright way based on what I've seen, read, researched, witnessed and in certain aspects, personally experienced.

It strikes me that I don't think "Earl of Dumbarton" was ever used once in the interview, was it?

As in 'Archie has a title that we should have been using and chose not to, so we're focusing on the title that he was never meant to have at this stage, trying to gain sympathy from people who don't know how this works'.

M&H did not discuss the Earl of Dumbarton title in the interview that was edited and broadcast. I doubt Oprah knew much about that courtesy designation, or she probably would have brought it up. Since the name 'Dumbarton' was being made fun of online even before Archie was born, I would think there's a perfectly understandable reason why M&H decided that Archie would not be officially known by that title. Since no questions along those lines were asked of them, what any of us might assume is speculative.

In my opinion, the Sussexes have continued to endure more than their fair share of negative speculation. It's enough already.

Last edited:
or possibly upper class people dont particularly want to learn Russian... Kate Middleton is middle class and she's married the future King.. Sophie RHys Jones likewise has married one of the queen's sons...

yes, you might be right

Hopefully HRH etc will be kept to the main line. I would actually go further as I've mentioned before in the titles thread.

Security is a question for the Met Police because it comes out of taxpayer funds. If they want to pay privately that's up to them.

Yes, true. Both of these questions are now 'water under the bridge,' in regard to M&H's offspring. Harry is paying for his family's security. Both of their children will be raised in California, with likely some visits to the U.K. and to other locales around the world. They will be global citizens aware of the importance of having a social conscience. Neither will be in need of bearing royal titles. In fact, their parents aren't using HRH either.

Yet, Harry will always popularly be known as Prince Harry, plus his birthright as a royal prince, a soldier, a patriot, and a citizen of the U.K. will remain a part of him. And I'm sure he will pass the important legacies and lessons of his upbringing on to his children.

There are all sorts of reasons that someone might be turned down for a job. Kate, Sophie, Mike Tindall and Autumn Kelly are all middle class.

In fact, their parents aren't using HRH either.

True, they may not be using the HRH but, for a couple who clearly despises the RF and "The Firm" so much, they sure are using the heck out of those Duke and Duchess titles. :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom