The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A renovated smallish house that wasn’t half of what Andrew, Anne, Edward, William got. The Sussexes already explained in 2019 that the renovations of the KP flat would have cost more from the Sovereign Grant monies that the FC did. It also wasn’t apparently available for a long time as the Gloucesters were in occupancy.

Harry could have bought a property? So could William, who inherited the same amount of money from his mother! And Harry and Meghan liked Oxfordshire and rented there but the security was non-existent.

Probably Meghan wasn’t expected to become pregnant so quickly and the PTB thought that they could be at Nott Cott for a while longer. Also the plans for the renovations at Frogmore were lodged with the Windsor council in the same month and year as the Sussex wedding, so maybe the couple weren’t going to be given the KP flat at all.

We will probably never know why choices were made the way they were but if I could just put in for discussion that from their own mouths the couple said in the interview that they had not blindsided the queenas they had told her 2 years before that they wanted a different life. Could that have influenced the family's decision on what home they were given.
Do we actually know that Harry and Meghan were upset at the home they were given.

Was anything bought for HM's other grandchildren upon their weddings (other than William's, for obvious reasons) and if so, how did it compare to what was given Harry? You know, since the couple is so fond of bringing other royals and other grandchildren to compare with their own situation.
So, did she buy Zara, Peter, Eugenie, and Beatrice comparable residences? I know nothing about Peter and Zara and I think I remember Eugenie in a rather smallish house but I don't know if it was her permanent one and who provided it.

Nothing was bought for William at all. The apartment at Kensington Palace is property of the Crown Estate. Anmer Hall is on the Queen's Sandringham estate and eventually will be inherited by William when he is King (It'll be Charles' in the interim). Only properties that the Queen actually bought as gifts for weddings of her children were Andrew's Sunninghill and Anne's Gatcombe Park. Edward leases a Crown Estate property, Bagshot Park. Andrew now has a lease on another Crown Estate property, Royal Lodge.

Highgrove actually was bought by the Duchy of Cornwall and will pass to William when he becomes the Duke of Cornwall. ?

It is now 2021. Two years back takes it to 2019. We know from previous reports and from the Queen’s own statement at the time they left that talks had been going on about their unhappiness with the Press and aspects of their roles for months, certainly through the summer months of 2019.

The Sussexes moved into FC in the Spring of 2019, and as I posted before, the plans for the renovation of FC into a private home were with the Windsor Council in May 2018, so it looks as if FC was earmarked for them from the beginning, not Apartment 1A which continued to be occupied by the Gloucesters for months.

What ‘nice chunk of property’ did Harry get? Frogmore Cottage was longterm ex staff quarters, a building long neglected and falling to bits. It was also small as royal quarters go, only five bedrooms, and without the ton of extras the Fail ascribed to it.

Its location isn’t ideal either, near the royal cemetery and quite near a public road. It had staff parking adjacent to it before the couple moved in. A bit different to Royal Lodge, Gatcombe or Anmer!

Entitlement, much? An "only five-bedroom" house on a royal estate for two people and an infant, renovated to your exact specifications with someone else's money, which at the time was officially spun and spun again by their fans as providing the low-key peace and privacy the Sussexes so fervently wished for.

Saying that that wasn't good enough, they were hard done by and everyone else got better, and Harry and Meghan deserve 16 bathrooms and double saunas for being self-expats certainly doesn't make me feel any sorrier for them.

It is now 2021. Two years back takes it to 2019. We know from previous reports and from the Queen’s own statement at the time they left that talks had been going on about their unhappiness with the Press and aspects of their roles for months, certainly through the summer months of 2019.

The Sussexes moved into FC in the Spring of 2019, and as I posted before, the plans for the renovation of FC into a private home were with the Windsor Council in May 2018, so it looks as if FC was earmarked for them from the beginning, not Apartment 1A which continued to be occupied by the Gloucesters for months.

For accuracy they had been asked if they had blindsided the queen and their answer was that they had been in discussions for 2 years before they left which is 2018. The Gloucesters needed to be rehoused first so there probably would have been a delay.
As I asked before is there any evidence that they were unhappy with the home they were given.
Are we discussing a pointless topic.

Wasn’t Anmer, a far bigger property, renovated to exact specifications with ‘someone else’s money?’ Actually the Sovereign Grant.

The Sussexes have paid back the SG money for the renovations to Frogmore, and some of their money was also spent on indoor decorations etc.

Thank you Osipi, I had forgotten that Highgrove is owned by the Duchy. I still wonder if the intention was for Harry to live there as he always seemed closer to that area in spirit than William.

Anmer renovations weren't paid for by public funds, it was said at the time they would use private funds. Sovereign Grant funds are used only for the royal palaces as these are state owned properties.

HM has treated all her grandchildren the same except for William and there are obvious reasons for that.
If anything H&M were treated differently and more favourably.

Last edited:
Wasn’t Anmer, a far bigger property, renovated to exact specifications with ‘someone else’s money?’ Actually the Sovereign Grant.

The Sussexes have paid back the SG money for the renovations to Frogmore, and some of their money was also spent on indoor decorations etc.

The Queen paid for the renovations from her own private wealth because it's her own private property. IIRC, William and Catherine paid for the interior remodeling and renovations to their specification. The Sovereign Grant didn't come into play because it wasn't a Crown Estate property like Frogmore Cottage is.

For accuracy they had been asked if they had blindsided the queen and their answer was that they had been in discussions for 2 years before they left which is 2018. The Gloucesters needed to be rehoused first so there probably would have been a delay.
As I asked before is there any evidence that they were unhappy with the home they were given.
Are we discussing a pointless topic.

As far as I’m aware, no, they haven’t expressed unhappiness with Frogmore. That said, I do believe they addressed the Apt. 1 issue in their manifesto and noted that they turned it down.

As far as I’m aware, no, they haven’t expressed unhappiness with Frogmore. That said, I do believe they addressed the Apt. 1 issue in their manifesto and noted that they turned it down.

My guess is if they had a problem with the house, we’d know. They haven’t been shy about whining.

To be fair, they didn't express unhappiness with Archie's style either... until the interview.

I think we might hear more about Frogmore in the future... after all, although being more than most of us could buy after a lifetime of work, it wasn't as grand as William and Catherine's abode, so...

As someone who is currently trying to renovate a flat one feature per an (increasingly rare) offer for work projects, I have to say I'd be flying somewhere between the sun and the moon if someone offered me something three times smaller than Frogmore at someone else's expense.

They turned it down largely because of the renovation costs which were estimated to be costing more than FC did. And seeing the tabloids going to town about the Sussex ‘extravagance’ with their home (at the time they were working royals) though the royal reporters knew darned well that it was SG money that paid for the renovations there, it was no wonder they turned 1A down!

And Sovereign Grant money paid for the majority ofCambridges apartment renovation costs, no complaint at the time from any tabloid.

The Cambridges are still working royals, that's why the money didn't have to be paid back. If the Sussexes hadn't left their jobs, or probably even if they hadn't left so soon after all that money was spent on renovations (all for nothing!), they wouldn't have had to pay back the money either.

If the Sussexes didn't like Frogmore, they shouldn't have spent so much money on renovating it. The idea that Frogmore wasn't good enough for them speaks of so much entitlement, I can't even.

Granny only bought them a five bedroom house as a wedding gift and they got 2,4 million pounds to renovate it as they liked. That's nothing. Surely they deserve much more than that. I think that because they are so much more special than everyone else in the BRF and hierarchy doesn't matter where they are concerned, they should have been given Kensington Palace all to themselves. That might have been just about good enough - maybe. :whistling:

To be fair, they didn't express unhappiness with Archie's style either... until the interview.

I think we might hear more about Frogmore in the future... after all, although being more than most of us could buy after a lifetime of work, it wasn't as grand as William and Catherine's abode, so...

As someone who is currently trying to renovate a flat one feature per an (increasingly rare) offer for work projects, I have to say I'd be flying somewhere between the sun and the moon if someone offered me something three times smaller than Frogmore at someone else's expense.

One could say that about all the properties members of the BRF live in, whether working royals or not. That’s not something at all restricted to Harry and Meghan.

The Cambridges are still working royals, that's why the money didn't have to be paid back. If the Sussexes hadn't left their jobs, or probably even if they hadn't left so soon after all that money was spent on renovations (all for nothing!), they wouldn't have had to pay back the money either.

If the Sussexes didn't like Frogmore, they shouldn't have spent so much money on renovating it. The idea that Frogmore wasn't good enough for them speaks of so much entitlement, I can't even.

Granny only bought them a five bedroom house as a wedding gift and they got 2,4 million pounds to renovate it as they liked. That's nothing. Surely they deserve much more than that. I think that because they are so much more special than everyone else in the BRF and hierarchy doesn't matter where they are concerned, they should have been given Kensington Palace all to themselves. That might have been just about good enough - maybe. :whistling:

The Queen didn’t buy them anything. Frogmore Cottage is Crown property on a royal estate. And they didn’t ‘get’ a cheque for 2.4 million pounds. The money was and remained Sovereign Grant money. Neither Harry nor Meghan asked for a home anywhere as far as I know. I believe they would have been quite happy in their Oxfordshire farmhouse but apparently security was difficult and indeed was breached by drones.

Last edited:
One could say that about all the properties members of the BRF live in, whether working royals or not. That’s not something at all restricted to Harry and Meghan.
Definitely. That's why I'd appreciate it if people this privileged at least don't whine about their sad lot and how little they were given.

In all honesty, the Sussexes haven't, at least until now. For now, we're discussing a moot point.

The Queen didn’t buy them anything. Frogmore Cottage is Crown property on a royal estate.
The flat I live in officially became mine only a short time ago. I definitely appreciated the fact that my parents provided me with a home of my own and spared me the troubles of paying rent for years, despite the fact that it was their names on the papers and not mine.

The Sussexes were provided with a home. That's another feature of their privilege. It was even a feature of privilege for me, denoting that my parents could afford it when most of my fellow students had to spare a chunk every month for rent.

Do you think the Apt in KP was not modern enough for Meghan. I don't intend that to sound rude, but when you see what they have bought it is nothing remotely like any of the royal palaces.
Also I go back to my original point that FC would be an ideal base if they were going to only be here part of the time.

They turned it down largely because of the renovation costs which were estimated to be costing more than FC did. And seeing the tabloids going to town about the Sussex ‘extravagance’ with their home (at the time they were working royals) though the royal reporters knew darned well that it was SG money that paid for the renovations there, it was no wonder they turned 1A down!

And Sovereign Grant money paid for the majority ofCambridges apartment renovation costs, no complaint at the time from any tabloid.

Of course the tabloids also went to town about the Cambridge "extravagance" at the time of the renovation! I still remember that.

Quick Google search:
"Ripped out... the gleaming £38,000 kitchen that the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William didn't want"
"Kate spends £1.5m turning historic home into a 'WAG palace' with an orange roof after Queen kicks out tenant on Sandringham estate"
"Your bill to refurbish Kate's palace is now £4MILLION: New kitchen, nursery and several bathrooms quadruples the cost"
"Kate's 'Barratt home': Duchess angers Sandringham neighbours by replacing tiles on her Georgian mansion with bright brick-red roof"
"Tennis lover Kate forks out £60,000 'to move her court just 36ft': Duchess of Cambridge plans to spend an eye-raising sum to improve the view at Anmer Hall in Norfolk"
"So why wasn't this £50,000 designer dream good enough for Three Kitchens Kate?"
"So that's how Kate is going to iron Wills' trousers! From a fridge with NASA technology to a hands-free iron and taps you turn with your feet, secrets of Kate's super-bling new kitchen"

I really don't know where this idea comes from that the tabloids have never gone after any member of the BRF except for Harry & Meghan.

Except the renovation in Anmer Hall is not from the Sovereign Grant. :whistling:

It was paid privately from the Royal Family fund, given that Sandringham Estate is the Queen's property.

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/r... the birth of,from private Royal Family funds.
https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambr...of-cambridges-renovation-of-anmer-hall-30948/

Of course the tabloids also went to town about the Cambridge "extravagance" at the time of the renovation! I still remember that.

Quick Google search:
"Ripped out... the gleaming £38,000 kitchen that the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William didn't want"
"Kate spends £1.5m turning historic home into a 'WAG palace' with an orange roof after Queen kicks out tenant on Sandringham estate"
"Your bill to refurbish Kate's palace is now £4MILLION: New kitchen, nursery and several bathrooms quadruples the cost"
"Kate's 'Barratt home': Duchess angers Sandringham neighbours by replacing tiles on her Georgian mansion with bright brick-red roof"
"Tennis lover Kate forks out £60,000 'to move her court just 36ft': Duchess of Cambridge plans to spend an eye-raising sum to improve the view at Anmer Hall in Norfolk"
"So why wasn't this £50,000 designer dream good enough for Three Kitchens Kate?"
"So that's how Kate is going to iron Wills' trousers! From a fridge with NASA technology to a hands-free iron and taps you turn with your feet, secrets of Kate's super-bling new kitchen"

I really don't know where this idea comes from that the tabloids have never gone after any member of the BRF except for Harry & Meghan.

Very well said Princess_Eleanor, couldn't have put better! In fact a lot of members of the royal family get flacks and criticism from the tabloid on renovation costs of properties on the Crown Estate, not just Harry & Meghan. Recently, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester got negative headlines for the refurbishment of Old Stables on Kensington Palace grounds, as their new down-sized residence.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...st-dozen-yards-costing-taxpayer-1MILLION.html

Let's not forget Omid Scobie (or Sussex's mouthpiece) throwing the Gloucesters under the bus in order to make Harry & Meghan look good. Harry & Meghan only had been Senior working royal for less than 3 years, while the Duke and Duchess of Gloucesters have been working for more than 40 years and continues to support the Queen. :whistling:

Last edited:
I wrote about the costs of the KP Cambridge apartment in the last post, nothing about Anmer.

I think this may be where the confusion came from.

Quick Google search:

I’ve never said they have. What I have always said and believe to be true as that Meghan was attacked day after day, week after week, month after month, on both SM and in the tabloids for over three years, and continues to be, in a fashion never seen before.

And did the tabloid journalists at the time continue to mention the ‘public money’ spent, in practically every article about the couple as they did about the Sussexes for months? Even today (now the SG loan is paid and so they can’t get them on that) every time there is a Sussex article in the Fail there is mention of Harry/Meghan’s California ‘mansion’ and how much it costs, as if were being directly taken out of the pockets of UK citizens.

Last edited:
Do you think the Apt in KP was not modern enough for Meghan. I don't intend that to sound rude, but when you see what they have bought it is nothing remotely like any of the royal palaces.
Also I go back to my original point that FC would be an ideal base if they were going to only be here part of the time.

Meghan wanted to live in SoCal because her mother lives there and Hollywood is there (not necessarily in that order). I don't think there's much in SoCal that bears any resemblance to any of the royal palaces - just a very different architectural style.

I have to say, I’m still just baffled by this whole argument that Harry and Meghan deserved a bigger or better property or a large estate in their names rather than a property owned by the Crown. They were treated no differently, better actually, than all of the other grandchildren except the direct heir to the throne. They, or Harry, are not children of the monarch. Someday, yes. Today? No. What on earth would make anyone believe they deserve any more or anything different than what they got? I genuinely don’t understand the argument. I’m just as genuinely confused by the argument that the LP should have been changed for Archie? Why? What on earth would entitle them to changes in the LP or property/housing that was more than what they ended up with?

Last edited:
I have to say, I’m still just baffled by this whole argument that Harry and Meghan deserved a bigger or better property or a large estate in their names rather than a property owned by the Crown. They were treated no differently, better actually, than all of the other grandchildren except the direct heir to the throne. They, or Harry, are not children of the monarch. Someday, yes. Today? No. What on earth would make anyone believe they deserve anymore or anything different than what they got? I genuinely don’t understand the argument.

Especially as at the time it was said this was exactly what they wanted.

And did the tabloid journalists at the time continue to mention the ‘public money’ spent, in practically every article about the couple as they did about the Sussexes for months? Even today every time there is a Sussex article in the Fail there is mention of Harry/Meghan’s California ‘mansion’ and how much it costs, as if were being taken out of the pockets of UK citizens.

You said that there were no complaints at the time about the Cambridge renovations, yet there were many. And of course it kept being mentioned for a while, that's how the tabloids work. Other than the other members of the BRF, Harry and Meghan never waited for any of these waves of criticism to pass - and they almost always do.

Probably because, of all the Queen’s grandchildren, Harry was (a) a full time working royal. As was Meghan. The others werent/aren’t with the exception of course of William. (B) Harry was high profile and popular. The PTB had hopes of ‘Fab Four’ etc. (C) Harry is the only other offspring of the Prince of Wales, the heir. The other grandchildren obviously aren’t. (The Sussexes received a small property owned by the Crown.) The situation of an heir to the Throne with adult children who obviously have to be housed somewhere and are full time royals had never happened before in British history.

Last edited:
I wrote about the costs of the KP Cambridge apartment in the last post, nothing about Anmer.

Could I ask why you feel Harry as the son of the heir rather than the monarch is entitled to better housing than he received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom