The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we know the Sussexes are expecting a daughter this summer, depending on the timing, it just may not be feasible for Meghan to travel internationally with a newborn infant. In this case, it very well could be only Harry that attends. I don't believe attendance at something like this would solely be affected by feuds or animosity between family members but 95.5% centered on the *why* this event is happening in the first place. To remember and honor their mother and grandmother of their children. That's the top priority here.

I don't have any expectations but my guess is that the goal is for it to be both of her sons side by side unveiling it. They have until July to figure it out.

BREAKING:
Prince William and Charles 'speak to Harry for the first time since Oprah interview' - but talks were 'unproductive': Meghan Markle's friend Gayle King reveals on US morning TV show that couple told her about discussions.

She said: "Well I'm not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it's true, Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too. The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation."

No member of the Royal Family has yet spoken to Meghan after the interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...interview.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

I find Gayle King's role here very odd and confusing. I have always thought her to be a well intentioned person but, in this situation, is she acting as a friend, private counselor, or journalist/reporter? It seems to me these roles should be kept separate by her and the Sussex's.

So it would appear that to H& M their LINE is as flexible as their TRUTH . A day after his beloved Grandmother is depicted on the front cover of Charlie Hebdo in a cartoon showing her kneeling on the neck of a prone Meghan , {ala George Floyd ] , Harry is telling CBS
journalist Gayle King all about private conversation's with his Father & brother . H & M threw his grandparents under a bus & took a day after the broadcast to clarify that neither of them were the person they implied was racist . Much as it pains me I hope the BRF recorded that conversation . Because sure as eggs are eggs i have no doubt that Harry was not the only one listening to that conversation .
Prior to Megxit , { i really dislike that name ] , I thought that they seemed to be settling well into their new roles . Certainly they both seemed enthusiastic about the increased Commonwealth role , I deeply regret having been so wrong .

I heard it wasn't about the tights.
In the version I read, Charlotte's dress didn't fit, and Meghan referred to Charlotte as Fat.

Kate got upset about it, but really, it is very petty to dwell on something like that years later!

Isn't this just proving what they mean? First it was about tights, then was just Kate being hormonal, then it was about the length of the dress, and now it is Meghan calling a child fat. I mean... really?

Ugh. Just make it stop.

:previous: BOTH. The fact that both sides feel hurt by the other means it must be mutual for any healing to begin.

I'm sorry but this implies that the royal family is as much at fault as Harry and Meghan. I think it would be better for everyone if they could get past this and reestablish relationships among everyone involved. However, the royal family, although not perfect is not equally at fault here. Let's assume everything Harry and Meghan said was true:
  • ONE member of the royal family made a racist remark about their children. Harry and Meghan put the whole family under suspicion even though Meghan admits the family was very welcoming. Great way to repay them, Meghan.
  • Charles cut Harry off, making Harry pay for his family's security. Poor little, rich multimillionaire.
  • The royal family is afraid of tabloid stories. This after Meghan's whining about one story printed three years ago.
  • Kate made Meghan cry. They gave a public interview embarrassing the entire family over that one incident.
Now let's look at the major claims that are more definitely not true:
  • Archie is not a prince because of his heritage.
  • The royal family will change the rules to prevent their children from being HRHs due to racism.
  • The worst one: The royal family's deep rooted racism has endangered Archie's life because as a non-HRH, he's not getting security.
  • The royal family is perpetrating falsehoods about Meghan. The Times reporter (forgot his name) has explained why this story came out now (nothing to do with the interview) and even gave an example of a time that he personally witnessed Meghan being difficult with her staff.
  • They have said everything they are going to say. They then immediately sent one friend to the media hinting that there are more damaging stories to come.

With respect to Meghan's claim that the staff kept her from receiving needed mental health care, the allegation makes no sense.
  • Meghan ran around asking people who would not and could not help her rather than asking medical professionals who could have and would have helped her.
  • Harry sat back without lifting a finger while watching his wife suffer.
  • Harry decided not to ask his family for help, even though several members of the family - not just Harry - have admitted to needing mental health care,

Last edited:
Isn't this just proving what they mean? First it was about tights, then was just Kate being hormonal, then it was about the length of the dress, and now it is Meghan calling a child fat. I mean... really?

Ugh. Just make it stop.

Um... wasn't there something, somewhere in the mix where being rude to staff was mentioned? So many different versions from different mouths and sources from all over the place makes it feel like it's a "fill in the blanks" kind of scenario. :D

Meghan is proving that she's clutching at straws to prove that she was so right and victimized and it's pathetic. I mean, she blustered her proud impending leaving in the internet, *then* wrote an email that claimed the story about her making Catherine cry two years ago was wrong and needed correction and now, over a year after the email, she authorized Janina to claim boldly that she had "proof" and leaked the email to Scobie's sympatheric computer.

Meghan's idea of evidence don't jibe with mine. Her actions are just proving that she very much wants to be considered the innocent party but has little evidence to prove it, so she just cries harder in the hopes to be believed. Since she loves her leaks so, as proven at court during the case against ANL, let her leak something more serious... but she doesn't. Why?

Last edited:
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

BREAKING:
Prince William and Charles 'speak to Harry for the first time since Oprah interview' - but talks were 'unproductive': Meghan Markle's friend Gayle King reveals on US morning TV show that couple told her about discussions.

She said: "Well I'm not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it's true, Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too. The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation."

No member of the Royal Family has yet spoken to Meghan after the interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...interview.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Thank you Blog Real for the update!

For a couple who cares about privacy, they surely are not stopping Gayle King from invading William’s (or even Royal Family’s) privacy, given that it was a private conversation between the brothers :whistling:

Unless of course the Sussexes took actions against her friend for leaking the private phone call out by talking to the press [emoji41]

Last edited:
Thank you Blog Real for the update!

For a couple who cares about privacy, they surely are not stopping Gayle King from invading William’s privacy, given that it was a private conversation between the brothers :whistling:

Unless of course the Sussexes took actions against her friend for leaking the private phone call out :cool:
Next, it's going to be "William stopped taking my calls!" *sad face*. My, I wonder why that would be.

Wonderful start to healing the rift, Harry! Good job!

How is anything productive supposed to get discussed when Meghan is giving Gayle King a blow by blow account of everything and authorising her to tell the morning shows? This isn't a couple that's interested in reconciliation and privacy.

At this point I'd be afraid to literally say anything more than "hello" in case it was being recorded to be "leaked" to the world via "hacking" aka handed straight to Scobie or King. Let alone discuss any of the true hurts that might have gone on.

Especially as by the time it's relayed to us third hand its possibly twisted beyond recognition *again*.

This is really the only thing they have to stay relevant. Why not announce some positive plans that aren't about the BRF you hate?

And yet if William or Charles started talking about private conversations he'd had with his brother or son that showed him in a less than positive light or how they think Harry has gotten himself unhappily "trapped" we'd be back to screaming victimisation.

Last edited:
I think the actions right now aren't being thought out rationally by Meghan or Harry. They feel the need and the right to "set things straight" and one way of doing that is to a) give an interview laying out all the ways they have been victimized getting to the point where they're at right now and b) rebut everything that may come out in the press whether it be true, false or about something totally different. As an example, screaming "I have old emails to prove this!".

This is all playing out in the public domain where, for the most part, its being taken as *entertainment*. Talk shows and interviews done by Oprah are *not* journalistic reporting of world wide news. They are purposely putting themselves right now into the category as *entertainment*. With people seeing them in this vein, it stands to reason that going forward, *Archewell* is going to be seen as *entertainment* as in "Archewell Productions". (Netflix and Spotify). On the platform they had as working royals, they were seen as "being of service". Now they're *entertainment*.

They've traded in their coronets and tiaras for jester hats in a sense.

At this point I'd be afraid to literally say anything more than "hello" in case it was being recorded to "get hacked" and "leaked" to the world. Let alone discuss any of the true hurts that might have gone on.

Especially as by the time it's relayed to us third hand its possibly twisted beyond recognition *again*.

Even that "Hello" would be twisted and turned to just be "Hell!" :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the version I read, Charlotte's dress didn't fit, and Meghan referred to Charlotte as Fat.

I really find that hard to believe - even at her worst, Meghan doesn't seem like that type of person. If anyone cried, it was probably not the actual words, but the tone that was upsetting.

I think it is very possible that this is exactly what we'll see but we won't be able to read between the lines of what the family is actually feeling. People come together for funerals that are on the outs with each other and behave civilly towards each other in respect for the reason they're there. They've all lost someone. It'll be the same with remembering Diana and unveiling the statue. *Both* are Diana's sons equally and Diana *is* the grandmother of their children. They will be able to put personal feelings aside (I hope) for that one time and focus on the reason they're there.

I expect/hope they’ll be able to set their issues aside for a few hours.

On another note- I wonder if Harry and Meghan have given any thought to the fact that someday their children will be able to watch that interview, read all about the last year and a half on the internet.....

So I have to ask, did anyone watch Harry and Meghan's hands during the interview with Oprah? I fully admit that I absolutely did not and that I really didn't notice them at all. And frankly, I really can't drag myself through watching that farce again just to watch their hands.

The reason I ask? I read an article yesterday (don't ask me where, I'm functioning on very little sleep and can't remember) that stated that during the interview, when Harry spoke, Meghan would discreetly tap him on the hand and he would almost immediately go silent. Now, I admit, I've never found Harry to be a particularly eloquent speaker either while giving prepared speeches or in these sorts of settings and it's been noted time and again that he tends to put his foot in his mouth in these settings but, I didn't notice the hand tap. I also wasn't paying any attention at all to their hands. So, did anyone notice a hand tap?

I am not into the back and forth with the Sussexes and the rest. All this weekend I saw many stories quoting "palace aides close to [insert royal]" reacting to Harry and Meghan. So many clear briefings from the various households. And now we have Gayle speaking out too. There really is no difference. And I doubt it will stop.

This is not good, from 2 points, one they are not making progress and secondly they are divulging private family conversations.
It would appear that as soon as the couple are off the front page they find something to get them back in the news.

Agreed.

It is sad that they’re not making process. I’m not terribly shocked though. Whatever the state of their relationships were prior to this interview- the interview surely didn’t improve things. And if Harry and Meghan stand by everything they said and did- and doing so publicly...I can see why they’re not getting anywhere quickly.

Clearly Harry and Meghan still don’t see a need to keep private family matters...private. That won’t help mend things either.

Kate got upset about it, but really, it is very petty to dwell on something like that years later!

Oh my. I genuinely hope that's not true. I'd love to say that I could never in a million years believe that it is but honestly, I'd put nothing past her. Maybe it isn't true and I certainly hope it's not but, well, I don't suppose we'll ever really know for sure.

I will say, I think it's highly likely that by the end of the day both women may have ended up in tears. Granted, that's purely speculation on my part. Kate had very, very recently given birth and anyone who's been in that position knows the emotions and hormones that can cause easily shed tears. Meghan was dealing with quite a lot between wedding stress and her father and I'm sure those things would also lead to easily shed tears.

If the story regarding the tights is true, I can certainly see it being a case of Kate raising the "just in case you weren't aware, girls in royal weddings traditionally wear tights, just FYI" and Meghan taking that a criticism and slam at her intention that they not do so. Again, purely speculation on my part. But I can certainly see something as innocuous as that causing hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and, apparently, quite a lot of resentment and possibly tears on Meghan's part. And, given what we know of Meghan, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised to learn that she snapped something about "my wedding, my way" or some nonsense that may have led to tears on Kate's part.

Let's hope that it was something regarding the "normally they wear tights" vein rather than calling a small child fat.

I am not into the back and forth with the Sussexes and the rest. All this weekend I saw many stories quoting "palace aides close to [insert royal]" reacting to Harry and Meghan. So many clear briefings from the various households. And now we have Gayle speaking out too. There really is no difference. And I doubt it will stop.

You have a point but the palace is notorious for leaks, including many that make the royal family look bad. They have a lot of people around them almost 24 hours a day. The question is whether the royal family or Meghan and Harry authorized anyone to speak out.

We know that Meghan and Harry did so after the Oprah interview, perhaps they didn't this time - we'll know if this friend is frozen out. If the royal family authorized some or all of these leaks, then they are equally at fault.

Last edited:
If anything like that did happen it was most likely it along the line of “Wow Maybe the measurements are wrong ..it looks too tight” Or the like. A little innocent sounding comment. I don’t believe Meghan would be so obviously ugly against a small child but not about catty digs that can be taken any way you want of course :)

If anything like that did happen it was most likely it along the line of “Wow Maybe the measurements are wrong ..it looks too tight” Or the like. A little innocent sounding comment. I don’t believe Meghan would be so obviously ugly against a small child but not about catty digs that can be taken any way you want of course :)

It may be a question of context. Perhaps Meghan and Charlotte were giggling and Meghan said something in a cutesy voice thinking it was a joke.

Of course, Meghan doesn't give anyone else the benefit of the doubt, so she shouldn't be given the benefit of a doubt.

You have a point but the palace is notorious for leaks, including many that make the royal family look bad. They have a lot of people around them almost 24 hours a day. The question is whether the royal family or Meghan and Harry authorized anyone to speak out.

We know that Meghan and Harry did so after the Oprah interview, perhaps they didn't this time - we'll know if this friend is frozen out. If the royal family authorized some or all of these leaks, then they are equally at fault.

The only difference is the platform. Gayle is saying it on her morning news show but I mean we don't even have to go back that far in this very thread to how how articles in the UK press state the same for the royals.

Over the weekend there were articles in the Times by Roya Nikkah going on about how Charles was disappointed and "let down." Richard Kaye had a piece with source close to William saying the same. Camilla Tominey sourcing Cambridges aides saying that they want peace. I can go on and on...

And I can guarantee that the rest of this week and into next we will have more.

Eh... the difference is that Gayle is relaying this directly from The Sussexes. Not through "a courtier" or "close source". Directly from Harry and Meghan to Gayle herself.

So any thing they ever say about privacy ever again shows exactly what kind of hypocrites they are.

The only difference is the platform. Gayle is saying it on her morning news show but I mean we don't even have to go back that far in this very thread to how how articles in the UK press state the same for the royals.

Over the weekend there were articles in the Times by Roya Nikkah going on about how Charles was disappointed and "let down." Richard Kaye had a piece with source close to William saying the same. Camilla Tominey sourcing Cambridges aides saying that they want peace. I can go on and on...

And I can guarantee that the rest of this week and into next we will have more.
After I posted my remark that both sides may be equally at fault, it occurred to me that there is a difference: The royal family has been accused of racism. It is only natural that they would want to respond in some form. Unfortunately, unless a high profile family member gives an interview, their response won't receive the same level of publicity. The bottom line is Harry and Meghan started it. That can be a childish response but given the nature of the charges, it makes a difference. I know I would want to try and set the record straight.

Last edited:
"Sources" are one thing. That's why tabloids are widely disbelieved - because their royal "sources" are too often a mere fabrication.

Gayle stood up with her name and connection to the Sussexes. Presumably, with their blessing.

It just isn't the same.

But I'll grant the Sussexes this: they haven't opened their mouths. They said they wouldn't and they didn't. They didn't come out publicly. They are now simply using mouthpieces, so they're keeping to the letter of their promise. It makes Harry's words that he'd "heal things" a little hypocritical but the letter is kept.

That really boggles my mind that in a real-world with huge problems two grown women argue about who made who cry over 2 years ago,

Two grown women are arguing about who made who cry? Unless I missed it one of them hasn't said anything about it. What I thought when I saw that part of the interview is THAT is what upsets Meghan? She really thought BP should set the record straight on that?

But I'll grant the Sussexes this: they haven't opened their mouths. They said they wouldn't and they didn't. They didn't come out publicly. They are now simply using mouthpieces, so they're keeping to the letter of their promise. It makes Harry's words that he'd "heal things" a little hypocritical but the letter is kept.

You know, this is true, I suppose. However, when those mouthpieces make an absolute point of saying "I spoke to them and they said" or "I absolutely have their blessing to speak" or "they told me it was fine to say this on the record" I find it very, very difficult to use the "we said we wouldn't and we aren't, they are" defense. This really is splitting hairs. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with what you said and I'd bet good money that this would be Meghan and Harry's line of defense if questioned directly about why they said they wouldn't speak but they are. However, I just don't find it a very watertight defense. Technically correct, yes. But actually correct, not by a long shot.

It won’t matter to Charles, William and the rest. It came from Harry or Meghan indirectly and that’s all that matters. Continuing to reach out to them is simply Casting pearls before swine IMO

We literally had “William and Harry make contact” on the front page of the Times this weekend with the “source” coming from the Cambridges. Harry seemed to confirm it. Though all of it is second hand.

We literally had “William and Harry make contact” on the front page of the Times this weekend with the “source” coming from the Cambridges. Harry seemed to confirm it. Though all of it is second hand.

Did the Times have anything about the content of the conversation? If not, that indicates that it was someone who knew there was a call but no one who knew the results were authorized to speak about it.

You know, this is true, I suppose. However, when those mouthpieces make an absolute point of saying "I spoke to them and they said" or "I absolutely have their blessing to speak" or "they told me it was fine to say this on the record" I find it very, very difficult to use the "we said we wouldn't and we aren't, they are" defense. This really is splitting hairs. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with what you said and I'd bet good money that this would be Meghan and Harry's line of defense if questioned directly about why they said they wouldn't speak but they are. However, I just don't find it a very watertight defense. Technically correct, yes. But actually correct, not by a long shot.
To be honest, I don't think it's much of defense either. But that's one of the ways fans can twist the situation to their advantage. No, scratch this. It's the only way. I can't think of another.

Then again, *they* might wholeheartedly believe it's totally correct. These are the people who thought that "working toward becoming financially independent" meant "whining to Dad and Dad-in-law to keep us in grander and costier style than the one we would have had back in the UK", so... I have to say, it was Meghan who surprised me more on this count. This placed a peculiar twist on her claims of being a strong, independant woman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom