The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where they're going to go from here. They've turned everything into a bit of a circus now. Are people going to want them to address conferences on serious subjects, knowing that the press are going to be hoping for a bit of sniping about the Royal Family rather than a speech about climate change or supporting disadvantaged children? OK, some organisations might welcome them as clickbait, but more serious ones probably won't.

I dont watch anything like that but does that mean that they might (when Covid fades away) have a camera crew following htem as they take A to school, do the odd charity engagement.. go skiing etc?? it doesnt sound all that interesting.. and Im surprised that they'd get money for that. I thought that they'd make programmes about issues or docu dramas or dramas written by professioinal writers and acted by pro actors...

Actually I didn't think of cameras following around, which might appeal to some. I thought they are expect to produce documentaries on the environment, health and wellness, landmines, etc.

Actually I didn't think of cameras following around, which might appeal to some. I thought they are expect to produce documentaries on the environment, health and wellness, landmines, etc.

They said they have no plans to produce a reality show about their daily lives ( like cameras following them around).

In addition to the documentaries you mentioned, they said they are interested in children programming, including animated movies.

I don't know as I don't watch most recent TV.. but honestly i cant' see loads of people watching stuff about the environment or health problems for long....
Its not exactly thrilling is it? The only interest would be that it is "Meghan and Harry" talking about the dangers of plastics or landmines or what have you..and I can't see that being a long lasting interest for tv watchers...

If they do charity tours, like "semi royals" there might be some draw in that, if they were in Africa.. but last time they did that, they ruined their good work by complaining about their own hard lives...
I just wonder what they are going to make programmes about. I thought that it would be some stuff about their charity work and perhaps documentaries on say the experiences of African Americans or immigrants in the US or the UK,,,

I just can't see either of them coming up with anything interesting or worthwhile - that would require far more intelligence than either have displayed up to this point in time.

I just can't see either of them coming up with anything interesting or worthwhile - that would require far more intelligence than either have displayed up to this point in time.

I am inclined to agree but presumably Netflix is taking a chance that for now, their names will sell programmes even if they are not up to much.. but IMO if they dont start to deliver, Netflix be asking for the money back or at least refusing to renew the deal...
and from what Har has said, it sounds as if he kind of blundered desperately into the deals out of fear that he'd run out of money.. so how much commitment has he got to the idea of working for a living or making some money...
Its as if he thinks that someone will help him out somehow, and give him money..

When someone is in the business of "making a difference" and helping other people to find help and solutions for issues they're experiencing, it didn't help the Sussex goal of promoting mental health by Meghan just elaborating on what she felt and what she was experiencing (which, btw, I take as valid). She was having issues getting help she felt she needed. She left it there. She didn't go anywhere near what she *did* do to solve her mental health issues. Do they still exist? Have they dissipated? Is she still suffering mentally because of what she experienced and is she talking to a professional at all?

She did a good job of throwing the blame on others for not listening and providing help when needed but there were no solutions mentioned at all. It all stopped after the accusations against others not doing anything for her. What did she then do for herself? What did Harry do? Was the move away from the "toxic environment" the cure or was it actually running away from the core issues? None of these answers were provided. We just were given the stone wall that Meghan perceived she ran into. Big, bad stone wall did it.

When someone is sitting on the pity pot, that pot gets awfully comfortable. ;)

I agree to an extent that I would have asked alot more questions about her mental health- especially since she made a big deal about suicidal and not getting the help she needed at that time. I wanted to know how did she get help? Is she in therapy?..etc..etc.

I disagree about the spirit of Archewell being at odds with the couple's. I don't believe they're bad people with no good intentions and as such cannot have a philanthropic foundation.
I believe they felt terribly disappointed and hurt at the treatment they received being senior members of the royal family. They never threw anyone under the bus- they simply explained how they felt and their version of the events- their "truths".

Its as if he thinks that someone will help him out somehow, and give him money..

I don't see that happening at all. If things did get really dire and everything falls apart for the Sussexes, I can see Charles stepping in but with very stringent conditions such as returning to the UK and living relatively like Andrew is at Frogmore Cottage. Stay out of sight and out of the public eye and I'll provide you with the necessities kind of thing. Anything related to the monarchy would be totally out for the couple.

Somehow though, I don't see Harry and Meghan meekly accepting those kind of terms at all. Harry may want to but I don't think Meghan would.

Let's just hope that this couple does go on to be self sustainable and make their own way in the world nicely and raise their family happily in California with no further mud slinging about the way things were. They've done enough in that vein.

On the contrary, Meghan is quite intelligent and could create and/or produce documentaries or docuseries on a wide variety of topics from women's rights (she's been advocating since she was a pre-teen), homelessness, blindness...etc. Harry can capitalize off his veteran and combat experience by doing similar things on war, combat, veterans...and that is just the beginning!

I agree to an extent that I would have asked alot more questions about her mental health- especially since she made a big deal about suicidal and not getting the help she needed at that time. I wanted to know how did she get help? Is she in therapy?..etc..etc.

I disagree about the spirit of Archewell being at odds with the couple's. I don't believe they're bad people with no good intentions and as such cannot have a philanthropic foundation.
I believe they felt terribly disappointed and hurt at the treatment they received being senior members of the royal family. They never threw anyone under the bus- they simply explained how they felt and their version of the events- their "truths".

They've thrown the entire family under the bus with the skin tone comment. Firstly, if they knew it would be very damaging, why bring it up at all? Now when they have neither given the context nor named anyone, the public would look at everyone with suspicion, except for Queen and Prince Philip. Harry said that he did not want anyone to suspect the Queen or Prince Philip, does that mean it's okay for them to suspect his father and brother even though they might not have been the ones who said it?

Even if I accept for a second that they didn't throw anyone under the bus with the skin tone comment, she DEFINITELY did throw Kate under the bus well knowing that she wouldn't respond. Is it really that important to her? It is SO petty. So kindergarten.

Last edited:
I don't see that happening at all. If things did get really dire and everything falls apart for the Sussexes, I can see Charles stepping in but with very stringent conditions such as returning to the UK and living relatively like Andrew is at Frogmore Cottage. Stay out of sight and out of the public eye and I'll provide you with the necessities kind of thing. Anything related to the monarchy would be totally out for the couple.

Somehow though, I don't see Harry and Meghan meekly accepting those kind of terms at all. Harry may want to but I don't think Meghan would.

Let's just hope that this couple does go on to be self sustainable and make their own way in the world nicely and raise their family happily in California with no further mud slinging about the way things were. They've done enough in that vein.
but clearly Harry did think that Dad would keep on coughing up.. and it was only when he didn't that he, Harry, signed the netflix deal. so to me that doesn't seem to say that Harry is fully committed to the deal and eager to turn in ideas to make money from it and to go on with more deals in the same vein. I think that if things do go pear shaped Charles will offer help but in terms of yes something like coming back ot the UK and living quietly on an allowance...

There has been speculation for some time in various media forums / press with regards the relationship between the 2 couples.

It varies between, one lot was jealous of the others popularity or one lot was jealous of the others position in the family. Nobody really knew if there was any truth in any of it. Last year at the abbey was the first sign, but it is perfectly clear now that the two women did not get on for whatever reason.

Unfortunately Meghan appears to still hold negative thoughts about the situation and despite her promotion of kindness and compassion it does not stretch to the Cambridges.

Will this have an effect on their brand of kindness and compassion which she clearly fails to demonstrate herself. According to Meghan , Kate sent flowers and a note but she does not appear to want to accept this , it was mentioned in the interview and now the e mails. After 3 years I find this an unhealthy obsession.

When I read the email yesterday that the Sussexes wanted released....I wondered what the value add was supposed to be.

IA- it makes Meghan look obsessed on the subject. I mean- she’s emailing staff about an article from years ago? Move on. What an effective use of time. (While this doesn’t come across as bullying, it says something about what working for her must have been like. Not good IMO.)

She comes across as obsessive about her image. And IMO it really looks like she just wants to make Catherine look bad- despite Catherine’s- in Meghan’s own words- kind overtures.

I would agree, it certainly does further damage to the kindness and compassion brand. She isn’t showing it.

They've thrown the entire family under the bus with the skin tone comment. Firstly, if they knew it would be very damaging, why bring it up at all? Now when they have neither given the context nor named anyone, the public would look at everyone with suspicion, except for Queen and Prince Philip. Harry said that he did not want anyone to suspect the Queen or Prince Philip, does that mean it's okay for them to suspect his father and brother even though they might not have been the ones who said it?

Even if I accept for a second that they didn't throw anyone under the bus with the skin tone comment, she DEFINITELY did throw Kate under the bus well knowing that she wouldn't respond. Is it really that important to her? It is SO petty. So kindergarten.

The skin tone comment was reportedly said by *one individual*. Only had that person been named could one make an argument that the particular individual was thrown under the bus- but no name was given. On the other hand, if such a racist comment with bad intentions that individual deserved to be thrown under the bus.

Kate was definitely not thrown under the bus. Really? Her name came up as an example of the powers that be failing to correct a story and perpetuating a story that made Meghan out to be villain. If anything Meghan showed how genuine, kind, and a what a real class act Kate is by mentioning how she apologized and sent her flowers after incident.

The skin tone comment was reportedly said by *one individual*. Only had that person been named could one make an argument that the particular individual was thrown under the bus- but no name was given. On the other hand, if such a racist comment with bad intentions that individual deserved to be thrown under the bus.

Kate was definitely not thrown under the bus. Really? Her name came up as an example of the powers that be failing to correct a story and perpetuating a story that made Meghan out to be villain. If anything Meghan showed how genuine, kind, and a what a real class act Kate is by mentioning how she apologized and sent her flowers after incident.

That one person could have been anyone apart from Queen and Prince Philip. So yes, by bringing it up and not naming them, the entire family has been thrown under the bus because of an individual's comment, racist or not.

Meghan didn't have to bring it up at all coz it was long forgotten. N Kate's name didn't come up as an example, it was well planned. Mails have been leaked regarding that, what's the obsession? N even now people swear by the fact that Kate was the one who cried because of Meghan's behaviour towards her staff, and I believe that. How do we know that there couldn't have been another incident where Kate did cry? So, she did throw Kate under the bus.

Last edited:

With respect to the comments about the way a child would look, I think we only have to listen to the question to Prince William about whether the royal family is racist. This would be similar to a situation in which there is a public claim that someone in your family said something racist, but they wouldn't give a name. You, along with everyone else in your family, would be suspected. Moreover, you admit that it would make a difference if the comment was made with bad intentions, but we don't know whether it was because they refused to provide the context.

Regarding the Meghan made Kate cry story, Meghan could have just said it wasn't true but she insisted on trying to make Catherine look bad. Perhaps that is why the media office didn't want to respond. Actually, I really doubt Meghan's version of events. If Kate made her cry, why wasn't that revealed in Finding Freedom? Apparently, if Finding Freedom, they were more concerned about who leaked the story. Calling it a "leak" implies that the original story was accurate. If the story hadn't been true, why didn't Finding Freedom explain that they concerned about who was spreading false stories about Meghan.

I think they threw everyone under the bus.

The Queen has had it right for all these years: do whatever possible to keep up the mystery. Letting people see behind the royal curtain chips away at the fascination. It's never more true than today. It takes very little to undermine that mystique, with social media and round the clock blogging that dissects every move. H & M may remember this interview and their behavior afterwards as the moment that they became celebrities and not royalty. Which is fine, if that's what they want. I'm not sure they do.

If they want to make money, and lots of it, it's time to bring back the Tig and go full California. Use Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop as a model. Yes, Gwyneth gets roasted for it and the site has many ridiculous elements, but it's been an enormous success and continues to expand into new areas. Help the individual, not the world. That's going to pay for their house.

The Queen has had it right for all these years: do whatever possible to keep up the mystery. Letting people see behind the royal curtain chips away at the fascination. It's never more true than today. It takes very little to undermine that mystique, with social media and round the clock blogging that dissects every move. H & M may remember this interview and their behavior afterwards as the moment that they became celebrities and not royalty. Which is fine, if that's what they want. I'm not sure they do.

I agree. But on the other hand, if they talk anymore than this, nobody would give them the time of the day. They would eventually get bored, and ask them to give it up and move on already.

We don't even know what was said, maybe it was something completely innocent, such as " do you think your child will look like you or Meghan", so until we have a direct quote from that conversation, it is impossible to judge, that' why I think Harry should own up and name the person and say exactly what was said and in what context, otherwise it's very unfair to the RF

Now they have the contract with Netflix but there's no sign of anything being produced, and I wonder if he (OR maybe Meg too) has the least idea what they will need to do to fulfil the deal...
I dont know what the deal is, but I presume if they don't come up with successful ideas and put them out, Netflix will pull the deal or not renew it and they will look ridiculous. It looks right now as if they have taken an advance but so far have done nothing to earn it...

But we don't know what they are actually doing. They didn't talk about it and it's not usus to talk about projects before they are at a stage to be presented. netflix' managers are not known to buy the cat in the sack (as we say in Germany), even if the cat allegedly wears a little coronet. I can imagine that they have ideas and plans and are working on it now. We'll see.

What can be critizised is what they said in the interview and that is enough for me to think they are hypocrites when they talk about compassion and bash Harry's family so much. They might still have a talent for the production of TV documentaries and might be able to bring positive things in. But I hate what they have done while preaching compassion and forgiveness. That is something that has actually happened and the whole world could watch. OTOH what the media has done is awful as well and could have made them go away. Still, talking like that on the TV screen is spiteful and not compassionate!

That one person could have been anyone apart from Queen and Prince Philip. So yes, by bringing it up and not naming them, the entire family has been thrown under the bus because of an individual's comment, racist or not.

Meghan didn't have to bring it up at all coz it was long forgotten. N Kate's name didn't come up as an example, it was well planned. Mails have been leaked regarding that, what's the obsession? N even now people swear by the fact that Kate was the one who cried because of Meghan's behaviour towards her staff, and I believe that. How do we know that there couldn't have been another incident where Kate did cry? So, she did throw Kate under the bus.

Had Meghan give multiple instances of various family members saying offensive and racists things then yes perhaps. However she gave just one incident of a one individual making such a statement. That is definitely not throwing the family under the bus.

Regarding the Kate incident it has been the one longstanding story that refuses to go away. People believe allegations about staff abuse because of that story. The reality is that Meghan portrayed Kate in a flattering way as someone who was kind and humble- someone who apogized when they were wrong and even gave Meghan flowers. Meghan said nothing bad about Kate.
The fact that you would believe Meghan made Kate cry despite the leaked emails that state otherwise and despite the fact that Meghan clarified that it was just the opposite just about says it all.

We don't even know what was said, maybe it was something completely innocent, such as " do you think your child will look like you or Meghan", so until we have a direct quote from that conversation, it is impossible to judge, that' why I think Harry should own up and name the person and say exactly what was said and in what context, otherwise it's very unfair to the RF

It was quite clear from the interview that whoever said it- said it a malicious and racist way. Why else would Harry say that it would be "damaging " to explain more and reveal the person's name?

Had Meghan give multiple instances of various family members saying offensive and racists things then yes perhaps. However she gave just one incident of a one individual making such a statement. That is definitely not throwing the family under the bus.

Regarding the Kate incident it has been the one longstanding story that refuses to go away. People believe allegations about staff abuse because of that story. The reality is that Meghan portrayed Kate in a flattering way as someone who was kind and humble- someone who apogized when they were wrong and even gave Meghan flowers. Meghan said nothing bad about Kate.
The fact that you would believe Meghan made Kate cry despite the leaked emails that state otherwise and despite the fact that Meghan clarified that it was just the opposite just about says it all.

Why is Meghan keeping it going if Kate sent flowers and apologised, why is it not forgotten.
Why did They not raise the other stories they claimed were wrong , Tiara gate as an example.

With respect to the comments about the way a child would look, I think we only have to listen to the question to Prince William about whether the royal family is racist. This would be similar to a situation in which there is a public claim that someone in your family said something racist, but they wouldn't give a name. You, along with everyone else in your family, would be suspected. Moreover, you admit that it would make a difference if the comment was made with bad intentions, but we don't know whether it was because they refused to provide the context.

Regarding the Meghan made Kate cry story, Meghan could have just said it wasn't true but she insisted on trying to make Catherine look bad. Perhaps that is why the media office didn't want to respond. Actually, I really doubt Meghan's version of events. If Kate made her cry, why wasn't that revealed in Finding Freedom? Apparently, if Finding Freedom, they were more concerned about who leaked the story. Calling it a "leak" implies that the original story was accurate. If the story hadn't been true, why didn't Finding Freedom explain that they concerned about who was spreading false stories about Meghan.

I disagree. The couple made it clear that only one individual made such comment- they never passed judgment on the whole family. Moreover, any honest fair person would admit that the actions of one individual doesn't speak for the actions of many.

Let me play devil's advocate- imagine if Meghan simply said "it wasn't true"- no one would believe. She gave more details and many on this forum don't believe her- how much more so if she was vague. I never read Finding Freedom so I cannot comment on it- I can only comment om what I have seen and heard come out of Meghan's mouth via the interview.

One vague reference to one comment casts a suspecting shadow over each member of the family: Was it him? Was it her? All would be suspected, none would be excluded. So yes, the whole family was thrown under the bus.

Had the Kate incident been truly settled, with Kate apologizing, etc., then the way to address Oprah's question about it would have been to say, "Kate and I worked all that out, we're good. Next question." Instead she felt compelled to point out that Kate was supposedly completely at fault. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Then there was the mention of "Waity Katie" and the subtle dig at Kate's work experience prior to the wedding. Meghan had to make sure we knew that she had worked a job since she was 13 years old. Contrast that to the notion that many still have that Kate did not have a "proper job" before she married William.

Meghan took several opportunities to disparage Kate during the interview. If you didn't catch them, I would suggest you take off the blinders.

Alluding that the it could have been any one of the members of the family, outside of the Queen and Philip, most definitely is lining them all up with the wheels of that proverbial bus.

Just as if someone came out and said that "someone on The Royal Forums made this remark and its horrible", it would put each and every one of us under suspicion of having said it because we're all saying things on here. If it was something said three years ago, we'd be combing the archives to find out who the guilty party is. ;)

Why is Meghan keeping it going if Kate sent flowers and apologised, why is it not forgotten.

Why did They not raise the other stories they claimed were wrong , Tiara gate as an example.

I’d forgotten that.....somehow. Lol That does lend credence IMO to the idea that Meghan wants to make look Catherine look bad- while still trying to make herself (Meghan) look good while doing so. So she folds in the apology and flowers and how all is forgiven...

I disagree. The couple made it clear that only one individual made such comment- they never passed judgment on the whole family. Moreover, any honest fair person would admit that the actions of one individual doesn't speak for the actions of many.

Let me play devil's advocate- imagine if Meghan simply said "it wasn't true"- no one would believe. She gave more details and many on this forum don't believe her- how much more so if she was vague. I never read Finding Freedom so I cannot comment on it- I can only comment om what I have seen and heard come out of Meghan's mouth via the interview.

This is not so.

"There [were] many opportunities for my family to show some public support.... Yet no one from my family ever said anything. That hurts."

People saying his decision not to name anyone throws the entire family under the bus are appreciating his comment and his decision in the larger context- including comments like the above- of the entire interview.

My guess is that the the story about Kate along with the skin tone comment happened within the private lives of the royal family where there's an element of trust that exists that they can be themselves without fear of it being blared on the next day's red top. Tiara gate involved actual Buckingham Palace staff the could rebut and disprove the story more credibly than family members that Meghan *knew* wouldn't respond to the claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom