The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what happens when you make arch enemies out of the tabloids. They’re are not going to rest until they destroy any sympathy and likability that H&M have, which can have nothing but bad consequences for their popularity

Except the tabloids made Meghan their enemy – or their favourite punching bag – way before the Sussexes started hitting back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, wise, and measured comments from HSH Prince Albert. But I do wish journalists would STOP asking heads of State and governments to weigh in on what is essentially a personal family matter for the British Royal family.

[...]

Agree that it was a wise response and that it is not appropriate for journalists to ask another HoS and Head of Government for their opinion on the interview. I'm a bit surprised that he just didn't offer a simple message stating that it was a private family matter that he couldn't comment upon.

It sounds to me that journalists (?) are trying to bleed this interview and its repercussions until it can bleed no more.

As much as I do believe that the interview was a very bad mistake to make and all the grievances should have remained within the family itself, I also believe that the interview should not overshadow each and ever move the Sussexes make going forward.

The donation to Nottingham for example. That is part and parcel of what the Sussexes plans are going into the future. They did say that they had no intention of giving up their UK incentives and personal charities. They probably are restricted too by what they can and can't do with the remaining funds that were leftover from their incentives with the Royal Foundation. I have no reason to believe that they'd not take any kind of action that wasn't legal and above board.

It's a shame though that the interview can and does create questions about motive but I can't think that *everything* they do going forward is tainted by ulterior motives.

Excellent, wise, and measured comments from HSH Prince Albert. But I do wish journalists would STOP asking heads of State and governments to weigh in on what is essentially a personal family matter for the British Royal family.

[...]

That's how the big royal family around the world show their loyalty to HM&family (without H&M if course). ;-)
Even royals who are more or less mostly out of the spotlight did comment like the archduke of austria.
It's a way to comment for those who cannot not comment (the BRF).
So they might not all have close bonds, they do stand together when needed!

And it can be a signal to the Sussex, too. I doubt there will be many invitations for the couple in the future, but this is a human reaction not specifically royal.
People intend to stay out of trouble of others and prefer to strengthen who they consider to earn more respect than the "fallen".

Except the tabloids made Meghan their enemy – or their favourite punching bag – way before the Sussexes started hitting back.

this is the reality of joining a high profile family such as the RF. i hear this over and over, as if camilla and kate didn't get abuse when they joined the royal family!

Agree that it was a wise response and that it is not appropriate for journalists to ask another HoS and Head of Government for their opinion on the interview. I'm a bit surprised that he just didn't offer a simple message stating that it was a private family matter that he couldn't comment upon.

i am surprised too, but what albert said wasn't controversial. one can say is basic common sense - private matters should be dealt in private.

michelle obama also was recently asked about the interview and also commented. she had a very classy reply saying that 'public service is about the people we serve, not about us' which i thought was also quite spot on.

I think Prince Albert was very moderate in his comments. He just said what a lot of people are saying.

This is what journalists do. Every time the Prime Minister or another minister gives a Covid briefing, you can guarantee that they'll be asked a load of questions about things which have nothing whatsoever to do with Covid. And, of course, it would make a great headline if someone high profile came down heavily on one side (seeing as Harry and Meghan have chosen to make this seem like a war) or the other. I thought Prince Albert's comments were very moderate and very sensible.

How the times have changed. There was a time when the Grimaldi were not considered equal by the BrF...

I don't see where that comes into it? There are a lot of people being asked to comment. There's nothing in there to say whether Albert or the BRF consider themselves equal or not. Just that he was asked and provided a common sense answer. His opinion is of interest to people because he's the son of an American actress who married into European royalty/princely family (most don't see a difference). And also because he used to be in the habit of phoning up People magazine for a chat but never started slagging off his family or anyone else.

As someone who did buy Together, I wish all the money made was going to Grenfell. I really loved the idea of a group of women coming together and using their skills and family recipes to turn their lives around and rebuild their community. And I loved the idea that Meghan brought her own skills to the table - which was the ability to shine a light on the issue and get a publisher and use her voice to promote it.

The money going elsewhere, albeit to another worthy cause where it is needed, is a sad because of that. And a little eyebrow raising mostly because I do think this will be an issue they have to be very careful about with three different entities named "Archewell". There's a reason most for profit and non-profits have different names even if they're run by the same people. It's way too easy for things to become confused.

Money going to charity is a good thing but there needs to be a clarity on what goes where so that people know what they're donating to.

And it would be great if people who constantly talk about fake news could make sure they're 100% clear on if they're donating from personal funds or donating charity funds they already had. Both are good but they aren't the same at all.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Prince Albert felt comfortable enough to speak about this and actually answer the question even if his answer was along the fairly predictable line. It does give me the feeling, though, and we can probably pretty accurately guess the mood about it among the various royal households and families when we've seen at least a couple of members of royal families around the world comment about it and their comments have all been in the same general vein.

I think Prince Albert was very moderate in his comments. He just said what a lot of people are saying.
Exactly my thoughts too and I liked how he wished him 'judgement and wisdom' at the very end.

How the times have changed. There was a time when the Grimaldi were not considered equal by the BrF...

In 2021, when reigning European royalty equal only a handful and are having their relevance questioned by the citizenry more intensely than ever....the days of one dynasty looking down the nose at another House are probably gone. Forever.:cool:

From the remarks of the Austrian archduke and now Monaco, it seems that they realize the precarious position they are in and feel that Meghan and Harry let down the side. In the past Albert's comments about the couple have been nothing but supportive.

And not coincidentally, Albert's throne is one of the most secure in Europe.

Last edited:
Women's shelters are very private and their first order of business is to shield their guests from harm. Their locations are very confidential. I know about this.

So, it was very disheartening to see that particular women's shelter in pics accompanying the Sussex donation news story. First rule of business, you do not post photos of the shelter if there are distinctive things in the photos that can pinpoint the place.!!!

Harry and Meghan should have asked to keep the donation confidential.

In THIS situation, the place would be better off without their show-off money and giveaway details in the photos.

Thank you for pointing this out Leopoldine.

IMO all people of all skin colours are capable of bias, unconscious or otherwise about others.

However, it’s very odd that the Mirror should be publishing this about Genevieve Roth, when neither of the articles Genevieve wrote in Primer and Good Housekeeping that they sourced are exactly new. Writing about something written a year or months ago as if it’s new is dishonest journalism IMO.

IMO all people of all skin colours are capable of bias, unconscious or otherwise about others.

However, it’s very odd that the Mirror should be publishing this about Genevieve Roth, when neither of the articles Genevieve wrote in Primer and Good Housekeeping that they sourced are exactly new. Writing about something written a year or months ago as if it’s new is dishonest journalism IMO.

I actually don't disagree that it's somewhat dishonest journalism or at the very least, misleading. That said, why is that dishonest and misleading when the misleading headlines and tweets that were discussed yesterday here in depth, aren't? Seriously, it's a legitimate question. Why are those that make Meghan look good not misleading and dishonest while those that could be perceived more negatively are?

I wrote in a post yesterday that all journalists (or their editors) write misleading headlines, with the facts tucked away in the text, especially in tabloids.

I actually did not think that the tweet from Scobie that I myself linked was misleading as it was quite short. However some posters hadn’t read it. And tweets of course do not have headlines.

The story in the Mirror was not about Meghan but Harry and his similar comments to Roth on race and being married to someone of another colour. The British tabloids adore attacking what they call his ‘wokeness’.

Last edited:
I don't see where that comes into it? There are a lot of people being asked to comment. There's nothing in there to say whether Albert or the BRF consider themselves equal or not. Just that he was asked and provided a common sense answer. His opinion is of interest to people because he's the son of an American actress who married into European royalty/princely family (most don't see a difference). And also because he used to be in the habit of phoning up People magazine for a chat but never started slagging off his family or anyone else.

Oh, I'm an old lady and can clearly remember the times when the British newspapers wrote how the Grimaldis were upstarts with no manners, not really in a league with the British Royals etc. Monaco was not considered a sober souverain principality but a glitzy, rich Las Vegas-like party place at the Cote d'Azur by conservative Royal Watchers. I mean - Louis II was the son from an annulled marriage. He legitimized his daughter from an affair with a cabaret-dancer and married her off to a comte de Polignac to prevent a German Duke from the House of Wuerttemberg (son of a princess of Monaco) to inherit. The marriage was disolved as well. The son from that marriage, prince Rainier married actress Grace Kelly. Then the scandalous early lifes of prince Albert, princesse Caroline and Stephanie including lots of illegitimate children... That changed when Caroline married Ernst August of Hannover and then Albert married Charlene (he had been quite the playboy before) and they all now live a less partying and more serious life of a reigning family. You might not remember that (or the times when the Scandinavian Royals were called as parts of the "Biking monarchies" in contrast to the BRF but that was before the War of the Waleses.

So to quote Albert as the "golden prince" and Harry as the misfit is just funny. Nothing more. The only thing it shows is that Albert is nowadays more discreet when it comes to his family and has improved a lot since he is the reigning prince.

Unless you think she's changed her mind I don't see what being said last year has to do with it. It's relevant now because of her new ties to Harry and Meghan.

Meghan baked a lemon and olive oil cake for Women’s History Month and sent it to Chicago to the women at World Central Kitchen, a non profit charity which has Archewell has worked with in providing food for those who need it in the area. The cake looks delicious and Meghan used lemons from her own garden in the recipe.

https://www.republicworld.com/enter...-oil-cake-to-honour-womens-history-month.html

That's a beautiful cake! I love lemon cake, though not sure about putting olive oil in one.

But it looks delicious.;)

I think The Mirror article on Genevieve Roth was initially from The Telegraph (I might be wrong on that), before being picked up by other news publications or opinions columns. Bear in mind, The Mirror is a left leaning tabloid, while The Telegraph is a right leaning news publications with paywall.

Sussexes' aide says all white people are 'rife with internalised racism'
Genevieve Roth, the Duke and Duchess' new strategist, said she realised her 'unconscious bias' after marrying her black husband
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...e-says-white-people-rife-internalised-racism/

There were outrage particularly those who oppose Critical Race Theory and generally those on the political right. Calvin Robinson (Political advisor and Senior fellow at Policy Exchange) spoken to Julia Hartley-Brewer on TalkRadio on the obsession with race by these progressives. Robinson himself is biracial and has been very critical of identity politics.

talkRADIO @talkRADIO
Conservative commentator Calvin Robinson criticises an “insane” claim made by Harry and Meghan’s new strategist that all white people are “rife with internalised racism”.
“I’m quite angry…this constant race-baiting by race hustlers has got to stop.”
@JuliaHB1 | @calvinrobinson
8:17 PM · Mar 25, 2021·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut​

Here is the full blog page written by Genevieve Roth herself.

“I Discovered Racism In My Own Marriage”
One writer on realising that the world is a very different place for her husband and daughter
https://primer.com.au/racism-marriage-genevieve-roth/

P.S. I managed to read the Telegraph article on he 23rd-24th March, where the paywall was off on the Day of Reflection. I have also kept a copy. Please PM me if interested, but I may not get back to you straightaway ?

Last edited:
That's a beautiful cake! I love lemon cake, though not sure about putting olive oil in one.

It sounds as if it could be an Italian recipe, with that combination, but I'm useless at cooking so I may be completely wrong there!

Comments and discussion about racism should be limited to the the topic of the thread. This is not the place for a broad debate about what is and is not racist.

The cake had me at lemons. And... as someone that uses extra virgin olive oil wherever oil is needed for anything, I'd use it in a cake too. Now I really, really want a lemon cake and don't have any ingredients to make one except the olive oil. :lol:

I like the support given to World Central Kitchen in Chicago. If there is one city that has been hit hard by this pandemic, it'd be Chicago. Meghan also has ties to the city as she spent her university years there at Northwestern.

[...]

I really liked Prince Albert’s response too. He acknowledged the pressure of being a royal, while rightly IMO noting that a public interview wasn’t the place to complain about private family matters. He said it nicely though.

It would be nice if the media wouldn’t ask everyone’s opinion about essentially private family matters, but unfortunately Harry and Meghan opted to make it public. So- naturally- they’re going to ask.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom