The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Seems Beatrice and Eugenie have more respect for themselves and the monarchy than Harry does. He is clearly using his title to help get a role that he is unqualified for. Interesting how this helps their financial situation, I can’t imagine the salary from this is enough to help them out that much. Wonder if he is getting his feet under the table before a stock market flotation.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Executives at the same sort of level in similar Silicon Valley firms reportedly take home seven figure annual salaries. BetterUp is apparently valued at well over a billion dollars. However, I read an article early today, can’t find it again, that stated Harry was given stock in the company in lieu of a salary.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:53 AM
Serene Highness

Who you are and who you know opens doors for a lot of people. I'm sure all the second generation Hollywood actors and models are good at their jobs, but I'd imagine it was a lot easier for them to get a foot in the door than it would've been for Joe or Josephine Bloggs, who might have been just as good. But Beatrice and Eugenie have both got degrees, and have always worked, so I don't think it's very fair to criticise them: they can't help being who they are. Harry's "job" is different, because he's not really qualified to do anything other than be an Army officer, but, if he focuses on that rather than on whingeing and moaning and telling lies about the Royal Family, then I hope it works out for him.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Executives at the same sort of level in similar Silicon Valley firms reportedly take home seven figure annual salaries. BetterUp is apparently valued at well over a billion dollars. However, I read an article early today, can’t find it again, that stated Harry was given stock in the company in lieu of a salary.
They actually work and make decisions. That isn't Harry's job. He basically just has a face job. Nothing wrong with it . It's what he can do. He wouldn't earn seven figures for it.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
They actually work and make decisions. That isn't Harry's job. He basically just has a face job. Nothing wrong with it . It's what he can do. He wouldn't earn seven figures for it.
Indeed nothing wrong with it, i know some people wouldn't consider it 'work', but don't underestimate the value a 'face' can have for a business, with regards to gaining interest, sponsors, other prominent people's support etc etc

and the beauty is, that Harry can combine several of these tasks for various organisations and causes

and ofcourse he's new to this line of work, so imo we should give him a chance to find his footing

As long as they never resort to dissing the RF again (either themselves or via 'friends') i say it's all good...
(an apology and retraction of the interview 'truths' would be better, but i have no hope for that)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:09 AM
Majesty

True but Harry's only a "face" because of his rank and because he just did an interview where he largely dissed his royal family... Other people may be a "face" whihc htey can use to make money.... for shallow reasons, sports success, reality show success etc.. but its a LITTLE bit more than just being the son of a prince who has been on TV attacking his family...
It si rather shocking that his atack on his family, is what's largley got him this notice - that got him the job.
That showed him to be an angry confused and disloyal person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
What connection? What Archewell? What have Harry and Meghan done with this foundation except for putting up a website and having a famous employee leave? Right now, Archewell is a startup charity created by two people who have made it clear that they are desperate for cash and nothing more. It isn't a big name that's going to get loads of good publicity.
I agree. That's why i think they'd be better to concentrate on money making (there's nothing WRONG with making money) and not try to mix it in with this charity stuff.. when they have build themselves a steady income, then they can move over to charity work, or part time charity work. It doesn't seem clear where Archwells money that they give in donations is coming from. Is it money that they put in? Is it money that they got form public donations? i think that at the moment a charity is going to muddy the waters as they ARE now clearly panicking and trying to find a way of making money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Who you are and who you know opens doors for a lot of people. I'm sure all the second generation Hollywood actors and models are good at their jobs, but I'd imagine it was a lot easier for them to get a foot in the door than it would've been for Joe or Josephine Bloggs, who might have been just as good. But Beatrice and Eugenie have both got degrees, and have always worked, so I don't think it's very fair to criticise them: they can't help being who they are. Harry's "job" is different, because he's not really qualified to do anything other than be an Army officer, but, if he focuses on that rather than on whingeing and moaning and telling lies about the Royal Family, then I hope it works out for him.
But he's not going to, is he? They had a chance with this interview to promote their charity, to talk about their future plans for earning a living, to focus on what they CAN or plan to do.. but they didn't do that. They went so far the other way that even i was surprised at how they behaved. They've attacked the RF as racist, heartless, etc etc and as far as I can see said NOTHING about their new life.. except that they are clearly annoyed that the "racist heartless family" who treated them so badly, wont pay them money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunking View Post
I read several articles about them not taking money for the interview. Since they had 17 million veiwers they proved themselves bankable. This will help them get more jobs.
I wonder if Harry has now been seeing getting a job because even to US people his apparent belief that Charles should have bankrolled him for years and years may have come across badly. I mean that US people not aware of the nuances of RF may have been less skeptical about most of his claims than UK people were. But they will probably notice that it seems a bit odd for him to diss his family and then come up with "Oh but Dad should be paying for me."
I think that he really showed true colours (sadly)when he came out with the whole thing that yes he had left UK to earn a living but was annoyed that Charles would not cough up money for him indefintiely...and that he'd only done the Netflix deal because "he had no money and Dad would not pay for him"....
Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

i wonder if the casual watcher of the Oprah interview really "got" all the layers that we has royalty watchers have picked up from it...

i think what remains as an impression for many people who just looked at it on the surface are things like:
- independent
- modern
- anti-racism
- open about mental health issues

these four things alone make H&M a good 'face' for many companies.... just maybe not in the UK (and maybe not in western europe either..)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
i wonder if the casual watcher of the Oprah interview really "got" all the layers that we has royalty watchers have picked up from it...

i think what remains as an impression for many people who just looked at it on the surface are things like:
- independent
- modern
- anti-racism
- open about mental health issues

these four things alone make H&M a good 'face' for many companies.... just maybe not in the UK (and maybe not in western europe either..)
How about disloyal, incoherent, confusing in what they say? how about odd in that they continually criticize the RF yet still cling to the titles and expect the money?
and how can anyone see them as open about mental health issues when it seems that harry was embarrassed by his wife having them and did not know how to get her the help she needed?
Old 03-25-2021, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I agree. That's why i think they'd be better to concentrate on money making (there's nothing WRONG with making money) and not try to mix it in with this charity stuff.. when they have build themselves a steady income, then they can move over to charity work, or part time charity work. It doesn't seem clear where Archwells money that they give in donations is coming from. Is it money that they put in? Is it money that they got form public donations? i think that at the moment a charity is going to muddy the waters as they ARE now clearly panicking and trying to find a way of making money.
One thing I've noticed about Archewell is that its a .com rather than a .org. So, to me that means its not a non-profit organization but rather a commercial venture for profit. This makes sense with having Archewell Productions as part of it. Their Netflix and Spotify work entails hiring people and the finances for Archewell Productions will be handled by the foundation itself and is not the Sussexes private bank account. They're not doing things for free or for "charity". They're effectively setting up their own company much like BetterUp is for a purpose of not only getting a message out that they want to put out but also to generate income and pay for staff and float the foundation's expenses. I imagine that both Harry and Meghan can draw a salary from the foundation also. They probably have a team of lawyers and accountants that make sure everything is above board. It takes a while to establish something like this and get it running smoothly. Effectively, Archewell is a startup itself.

"Org and .com domain name extensions are used at the end of website URLs in order to help categorize them. They are also called TLDs ( Top Level Domains ) . Org is primarily used by non-profit organizations, while .com is used mostly by for-profit businesses."

https://makeawebsitehub.com/org-vs-c...t%20businesses.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I think what people took issue with was the idea that Charles (or whoever) would want to change the LP for the grandchild(ren) of mixed racial background. They have every right to do whatever they want but you have to admit if that had occurred many would have questioned why...

I guess if could still happen and they can still explain why they don't want Archie and his sister to be a prince and princess once Charles becomes King.

Except that, for the nth time, limiting HRH among the King's grandchildren to the heir's children has been a trend for the past 40 years in several European monarchies (the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden) and has nothing to do with race.

I don't know if Charles as King will make any changes to existing rules, but it has been long expected (long before Harry met Meghan) that such changes might come in the next reign and, if they do, nobody in the UK will be surprised, or ask for an explanation, or consider it a casuistic move targeting Meghan's children specifically because they are biracial. On the contrary, I think most people would welcome a slimmer, less costly Royal Family.

That is why what Meghan said to Oprah makes no sense at all for most people in the UK, but might resonate with some viewers in the US who are not aware of the context I described above
Old 03-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I've noticed about Archewell is that its a .com rather than a .org. So, to me that means its not a non-profit organization but rather a commercial venture for profit. This makes sense with having Archewell Productions as part of it. Their Netflix and Spotify work entails hiring people and the finances for Archewell Productions will be handled by the foundation itself and is not the Sussexes private bank account. They're not doing things for free or for "charity". They're effectively setting up their own company much like BetterUp is for a purpose of not only getting a message out that they want to put out but also to generate income and pay for staff and float the foundation's expenses. I imagine that both Harry and Meghan can draw a salary from the foundation also. They probably have a team of lawyers and accountants that make sure everything is above board. It takes a while to establish something like this and get it running smoothly. Effectively, Archewell is a startup itself.

"Org and .com domain name extensions are used at the end of website URLs in order to help categorize them. They are also called TLDs ( Top Level Domains ) . Org is primarily used by non-profit organizations, while .com is used mostly by for-profit businesses."

https://makeawebsitehub.com/org-vs-c...t%20businesses.
well then! It seems very blurred as to whether they are using ti to make money or to raise funds to donate to good causes. I thought soemthing like this would happen.. that there would be a blurred line between their charitable work and their money making....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Except that, for the nth time, limiting HRH among the King's grandchildren to the heir's children has been a trend for the past 40 years in several European monarchies (the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden) and has nothing to do with race. Even in Denmark, although Prince Joachim's children for example are still princes, they are only HHs rather than HRHs.

I don't know if Charles as King will make any changes to existing rules, but it has been long expected (long before Harry met Meghan) that such changes might come in the next reign and, if they do, nobody in the UK will be surprised, or ask for an explanation, or consider it a casuistic move targeting Meghan's children specifically because they are biracial. On the contrary, I think most people would welcome a slimmer, less costly Royal Family.

That is why what Meghan said to Oprah makes no sense at all for most people in the UK, but might resonate with some viewers in the US who are not aware of the context I described above
yes of course but now she has put this out there, people may well now think if charles does decide not to give Archie HRH when he is king.. that it IS because of A's racial heritage....
Old 03-25-2021, 09:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
yes of course but now she has put this out there, people may well now think if charles does decide not to give Archie HRH when he is king.. that it IS because of A's racial heritage....

The only way I can interpret it is that Harry and Meghan, the supposed progressive, egalitarian and "new kind of" royals, surprisingly care greatly about their children being HRH Prince/Princesss (unlike for example Edward & Sophie), and are using the race card to blackmail Charles into not making any changes in the future.

The excuse that they needed Archie to be an HRH to have security doesn't hold either considering that Beatrice and Eugenie are HRHs and don't have public security.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The only way I can interpret it is that Harry and Meghan, the supposed progressive, egalitarian and "new kind of" royals, surprisingly care greatly about their children being HRH Prince/Princesss (unlike for example Edward & Sophie), and are using the race card to blackmail Charles into not making any changes in the future.

The excuse that they needed Archie to be an HRH to have security doesn't hold either considering that Beatrice and Eugenie are HRHs and don't have public security.
Also Prince Michael of Kent does not currently receive security and as far as I know has never received it even though he has had the style and title of a prince since birth.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:37 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
She’s been married before herself. She knows that you have to sign the marriage certificate and have two witnesses sign it as well in the US.
That may be true in your state, but it certainly is not true for all of the U.S.

https://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marri...-requirements/
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 AM
Courtier

I really think that we cal all, well almost all, agree that having or not having the HRH doesn’t have any impact on whether or not one receives security. And frankly, I think we can all agree that Meghan just straight up lied when she claimed that it did. She blatantly lied about it because she was selling this load of nonsense to an American audience that doesn’t know any better and doesn’t care enough to actually look up the answer. Which, by the way, is ridiculously easy to find.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Except that, for the nth time, limiting HRH among the King's grandchildren to the heir's children has been a trend for the past 40 years in several European monarchies (the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden) and has nothing to do with race.

I agree. And Meghan has set it up now publicly that if Charles had planned and does change it, he will be called racist by some.

Quote:
well then! It seems very blurred as to whether they are using ti to make money or to raise funds to donate to good causes. I thought soemthing like this would happen.. that there would be a blurred line between their charitable work and their money making....

Is there something about having to reside/be born in the UK - for Harry’s children? Similar to Madeline’s? If they stay in the States I cannot imagine anyone thinking it appropriate for British taxpayers to support them no matter what their titles and styles may be.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree. And Meghan has set it up now publicly that if Charles had planned and does change it, he will be called racist by some.
Precisely. And judging by everything that’s happened over the last year and a half including the interview, I’d bet my last dollar that she knew exactly what she was doing and that that was the plan and not just an unfortunate consequence. They didn’t get the HRH they wanted for him at birth because HM didn’t issue a special LP changing the established rule. They’re mad that it was made very clear that in the world of the monarchy, their children simply don’t rank as highly as the Cambridge kids. “So, we can’t have the HRH when we want it? Fine. We won’t use any title at all and, by the way, we’ll make sure you can’t use new LPs to change the rules in the future without being deemed a racist. Watch us work.”
Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Is there something about having to reside/be born in the UK - for Harry’s children? Similar to Madeline’s? If they stay in the States I cannot imagine anyone thinking it appropriate for British taxpayers to support them no matter what their titles and styles may be.
In terms of public opinions on Royal security (founded by British taxpayer and decided by Met Police), there was a YouGov poll conducted on 31st March 2020 with 2334 British adults. The question was
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reportedly moved to Los Angeles, USA. Under this circumstance, who do you think should pay for their protection, if anyone at all?
Most of the responses suggested that neither the British nor US government should pay for Harry & Meghan's protection. This is one of the polls on Royal Family with a low percentage of "Don't know" answer, usually there are a quarter or even a third of the surveyed adult.
The British government: 3%
The US government: 6%
Neither: 80%
Don't know: 11%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics.../03/30/e959b/3
Old 03-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I don’t believe so. I’m no expert on that sort of thing but I’m pretty sure we’d have heard about it long before now if there were. Though, on a personal note, I certainly think it’s worth creating. I know it caused a bit of confusion or uproar in Sweden when Madeleine decided to leave the country but all in all it seems like a pretty succinct and efficient way to be sure everyone knows the expectations.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Exactly. And while the whole title issue is galling, Harry will always be a “face” in the US because he is Diana’s son and a prince. Obviously the powers that be at Better Up wanted his titles and well known face for PR. Welcome to Corporate America!

Closed Thread