The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well who is to say they want him to stay? People on this board love to state he is not welcomed over and over. Maybe he feels that too? Maybe they told him “You should leave once it’s over.”

I don’t believe it, but hey... maybe? We have no clue.

That said, Meghan’s due date really has nothing to do with him just wanting to return to his wife and son. I mean isn’t that normal?

Again we have no idea but we shall see. For all we know he might leave on Monday, which will give him the weekend to catch up.

Well, IF he would not be very welcome, I think no one is to blame after all the mess this couple caused and the lack of responsibility they showed...!
Many "ordinary people" in Britain also think H and M can stay now where they are for good.

Last edited:
I wonder whether there might be a buffet meal for the guests after the funeral or whether that’s out due to Covid?

And if everyone has to remain in their bubbles due to Covid regulations surely there wouldn’t be any visiting between households for Harry or any of his relatives to speak to each other face to face anyway.

30 people can attend the funeral, but only 15 people can attend any wake/reception/come in for a cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards. I'm not sure what the logic of that is, but that's the rule!

Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.

Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.

Just "Meghan's friends" sources to various tabloids, so make of them what you will. For what it's worth it was the same sort of narrative the Omid Scobie who definitely has contact with approved Sussex sources was pushing a few days ago on GMB, although not quite as hard as some of the ones since.

Personally *if* true it's a cheek to say you aren't sorry about what you did before but are graciously going to forgive the family that *made* you wash your dirty laundry in public. Again, if these sources are what they wanted out there.

ETA The stripping of Harry's military appointments was apparently done after HM consulted with the heads of the armed forces and agreed with them that it wouldn't be suitable for Harry to keep them having permanently decamped to California to pursue a non royal life. That's one reason they weren't immediately dropped in early 2020.

There would necessarily be issues with something like the Invictus doc. Harry could be seen as profiting off injured soldiers whilst also being Captain General of the Marines, which would create a huge conflict of interest even though Invictus itself gets a donation.

Last edited:
Just "Meghan's friends" sources to various tabloids, so make of them what you will. For what it's worth it was the same sort of narrative the Omid Scobie who definitely has contact with approved Sussex sources was pushing a few days ago on GMB, although not quite as hard as some of the ones since.

Personally *if* true it's a cheek to say you aren't sorry about what you did before but are graciously going to forgive the family that *made* you wash your dirty laundry in public. Again, if these sources are what they wanted out there.

ETA The stripping of Harry's military appointments was apparently done after HM consulted with the heads of the armed forces and agreed with them that it wouldn't be suitable for Harry to keep them having permanently decamped to California to pursue a non royal life. That's one reason they weren't immediately dropped in early 2020.

There would necessarily be issues with something like the Invictus doc. Harry could be seen as profiting off injured soldiers whilst also being Captain General of the Marines, which would create a huge conflict of interest even though Invictus itself gets a donation.

It's kind of like the ocean "forgiving" the raindrop for making it wet. Comes across to me as superficial, condescending magnanimosity. In the grand scheme of things and the way things have gone in the past year, I don't think Meghan really matters to the "Firm" or the monarchy at all anymore. She was within that fold for a New York minute and gone. She, however, as Harry's wife, is still considered "family" by the House of Windsor. That's due to her connection to Harry though and no more.

thanks heavs and osipi.
I had important responsibilities and did not follow here or the media.

I would indeed look supergracious if the Duchess lowered herself to forgive HM&folks ,
or which the media will suggest could give proof it was DoE who dropped the comments... nothing is impossible with reporters. Heaven help!

May they all have a calm and peacefull and comforting farewell for Prince Philip.

And Meghan stay silent as any other well educated person would do in such a situation.

It's kind of like the ocean "forgiving" the raindrop for making it wet. Comes across to me as superficial, condescending magnanimosity. In the grand scheme of things and the way things have gone in the past year, I don't think Meghan really matters to the "Firm" or the monarchy at all anymore. She was within that fold for a New York minute and gone. She, however, as Harry's wife, is still considered "family" by the House of Windsor. That's due to her connection to Harry though and no more.

I am really hoping that the sources are false, just tabloid fodder, and not Meghan asking her friends to give out tit bits.
Her close friends all say she is a lovely kind person, and if so surely she would keep quiet and not be saying anything at this time other than showing sympathy towards the queen.

Also this is not the time for them to rehash all that. The focus will be on HMQ and Prince Philip. That’s said, that doesn’t mean they can’t jumpstart the lines of communication again. Hopefully they will. Drastic family events like this really can shift dynamics.

I have actually said this several times; even if they could rehash, it’s just not the time. The biggest issue, IMO, is miscommunication and misunderstanding...both of which lead to a breakdown in trust. All they need to do is to admit this, and then there is something to work with. Trust is something that will have to be regained over time, but the two M’s can be cleared up. It just feels like these three in various combinations and varying degrees have forgotten how much they love each other. They just need to start the ball rolling...

I agree that the reaction of the media has been very different in the U.S. However, first and foremost, Harry loves his family and wants to find a way a forward. I doubt the Queen or Charles would refuse to let them attend an event like the Trooping of the Color or the Jubilee. A few weeks ago, I would have believed that they would get a very chilly reception from the other royals whenever they came. But I think now more than ever, the family and even the public will pull together to support the Queen.

The more cynical side to me also thinks that they need the royal family more than the royal family needs them. I agree that the public has long memories and Harry and Meghan will probably never be completed forgiven or trusted. But there are a series of events that they will want to be part of to raise their profile for their "brand".

To do that, they will have to be at least tolerated. No one will jeer their presence as long as they are with the Queen. Appearing with the Queen in a few major public events (with minor royals and nonroyal family) and visiting her at Balmoral this summer, spending Christmas with her, etc. is the only way they will ever be tolerated in Britain.

I fully admit that I may be misreading the situation and am interested in hearing other people's thoughts.
I can see them at private family gatherings but because they have chosen not to be working royals, I really can’t see them on the balcony again. If the polls in the UK are correct, people would be furious about that. I cannot remember: has Andrew joined the family on the balcony since he stepped down (or back)?

I agree with all of this. They had control of the timing. If whatever they signed didn't allow them to control the timing of airing, they could have negotiated so it did. Oprah and CBS knew it was going to be a ratings bonanza, and supposedly H&M were doing it for free. CBS and Oprah wouldn't have said "We won't do it unless you give us sole control." And even if they did say that, H&M could have easily found another network or platform that would have given them more control. It wasn't a choice between "Either we talk to Oprah right now and CBS airs it when they want to air it, or we have to stay silent forever." They had plenty of options for when and how to air their grievances, and they chose to do it while Philip was hospitalized for what they had to know was his final illness. I said all along that their priority was getting it out there before he died.

Everything they complained about had happened at least a year in the past. The flower girl dress incident was in early 2018. The supposedly racist conversation would have been around the same time. Archie was born in May 2019, so whatever happened during Meghan's pregnancy was two years ago. Charles refusing to take Harry's calls and cutting him off financially probably happened when they posted their half-in half-out plan on their website more than a year ago. Waiting a few more months to tell the world about it wouldn't have been so terrible.
I agree with you. But I am curious about why you think they wanted to do the interview before he died. They could have waited several months or better yet, not done it at all!

It must be special for Harry being back, on his own, in his old world, in the house that was intended for him and his starting family, after all that happened, for this sad occasion.
I’ve thought about this too. I cannot imagine being away from my home country for a year and then returning to my family after I’d publicly thrown them under the bus. I would think there would be a lot of emotions: nostalgia, regret, anger, sadness, maybe even guilt. Honestly, I would not want to be in Harry’s shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see them at private family gatherings but because they have chosen not to be working royals, I really can’t see them on the balcony again. If the polls in the UK are correct, people would be furious about that. I cannot remember: has Andrew joined the family on the balcony since he stepped down (or back)?

There haven't been any balcony events since Andrew (or Harry and Meghan) stepped down due to COVID.

For Trooping in previous years this was the one chance for a lot of extended family who were not working royals or HM's descendants to be on the balcony e.g. Lady Gabriella, Lord Frederick, Lady Davina and Gary Lewis and families were invited, so it's not a "working royals" thing. But it might become that to avoid Harry and Andrew issues in the future.

I think if they'd left quietly there would be no question of them being invited back for big events but now there's always the question of trust and if they're going to give a rundown of the gossip to Oprah or Gayle or monetise it for their podcast etc.

I think, because of the bubble restrictions, Harry will catch a flight home as soon as he can. Either late Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps anything with the family can be put on the back burner until Harry possibly returns to the UK at the end of June to be there for the unveiling of Diana's statue. Maybe not. Depends on when his second child is born.

After the funeral Saturday, I think most family members will experience a sense of air being let out of a balloon as the funeral process has been completed and there's a sense of closure. To me, its not the time to worry about family relationships and disagreements and try to mend fences. If it happens that Harry does stay, that's great but I don't really think he will.
Do we know if Harry is fully vaccinated? I have not read California’s rules so I don’t know if he is eligible yet. I agree that a funeral is not the time to mend fences with his father, brother, and extended family members . However, I do hope he will get to spend some time, even if a few hours, with his grandmother who because of her age....you never know. I don’t know if the current rules in the UK would allow outside visits with masks. The Queen is fully vaccinated so the risk is less.

There haven't been any balcony events since Andrew (or Harry and Meghan) stepped down due to COVID.

For Trooping in previous years this was the one chance for a lot of extended family who were not working royals or HM's descendants to be on the balcony e.g. Lady Gabriella, Lord Frederick, Lady Davina and Gary Lewis and families were invited, so it's not a "working royals" thing. But it might become that to avoid Harry and Andrew issues in the future.

I think if they'd left quietly there would be no question of them being invited back for big events but now there's always the question of trust and if they're going to give a rundown of the gossip to Oprah or Gayle or monetise it for their podcast etc.
That is a very good point. They may choose to just include working royals as a solution to the issues that Andrew , Harry , and Meghan have caused. And it would probably be more palatable to the public.

Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that he’d prefer to leave right after the funeral?
Because he claimed he hoped to heal the relationship with his family. Meghan isn't going to give birth right now, she said summer, and small children can cope without the presence of one of their parents for a few weeks just fine. This said, I won't be surprised if he doesn't stay.

I was born when my father was away because of work. I also grew up with my father being away half of the time because of the nature of his work. Many of my friends were the same. Sometimes, you need to prioritize other things than being with your wife and child 24/7. Headlines like "desperate to return to Meghan" aren't cute in my eyes and make Harry look like downright whiny. I wonder if that's the purpose since he isn't the tabloids' favourite right now. There are many ways to express the sentiment that he wants to go back as soon as possible and they chose the one that paints him a very unflattering light. People who can't go back to their families for months are "desperate". People who aren't sure they can go back for a funeral are "desperate to go". Harry... just misses Meghan and Archie, hence the dramatic headlines? Tabloids know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Nothing's wrong for him wanting to return and stay with his pregnant wife (who has been miscarried before), no matter when the due date is. Everyone's priorities are different, that's it.

And personally I don't think it would be a great timing to heal the relationship with his family.

Last edited:
That is a very good point. They may choose to just include working royals as a solution to the issues that Andrew , Harry , and Meghan have caused. And it would probably be more palatable to the public.

So that would only be The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Duke&Dss of Gloucester, Duke&Dss of Kent, and Pss Alexandra. That would be a really small group at the balcony. But it would make sense if they decide to go that way.

I am really hoping that the sources are false, just tabloid fodder, and not Meghan asking her friends to give out tit bits.
Her close friends all say she is a lovely kind person, and if so surely she would keep quiet and not be saying anything at this time other than showing sympathy towards the queen.

And those friends spoke it themselves without hiding behind anonymous sources. Meghan hasn't been seen since the interview aired well over a month ago. We have not heard from this woman whatsoever. The only thing we got from their official spokesperson was she wanted to attend but didn't get medical clearance. That is it.

All this seems to me is the media wanting to keep her in the story because it creates conversation and clicks for them.

Last edited:
Because he claimed he hoped to heal the relationship with his family. Meghan isn't going to give birth right now, she said summer, and small children can cope without the presence of one of their parents for a few weeks just fine. This said, I won't be surprised if he doesn't stay.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he just goes home immediately after either. I really don’t have an opinion on the matter. Funerals are emotional, stressful times for families under the best of circumstances. These are obviously not good.

I still find it bizarre that Harry talked about wanted to heal things with his family while giving an interview throwing them under the bus and talking about private family matters. Did he not get how absurd the sounded? If reconciliation was truly a highly priority that interview never would have happened IMO. His views may have shifted since then, of course.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he just goes home immediately after either. I really don’t have an opinion on the matter. Funerals are emotional, stressful times for families under the best of circumstances. These are obviously not good.

I still find it bizarre that Harry talked about wanted to heal things with his family while giving an interview throwing them under the bus and talking about private family matters. Did he not get how absurd the sounded? If reconciliation was truly a highly priority that interview never would have happened IMO. His views may have shifted since then, of course.

Harry isn’t the swiftest boat in the ocean, and he seems to be impulsive, so I don’t know that he actually thought about that contradiction in wanting to heal rifts, but also airing grievances.

Harry isn’t the swiftest boat in the ocean, and he seems to be impulsive, so I don’t know that he actually thought about that contradiction in wanting to heal rifts, but also airing grievances.
If they think they're THE wronged party, there's no contradiction. If they think they did everything right and stellarly and were villainly screwed over by the RF, as they seem to show in the interview, then why woudn't they expect of the RF to prostrate itself before them and humbly beg for forgiveness? Then, they could have "forgiven" and "moved on". But since it didn't happen, Janina, Gayle and Omid were sent to the frontlines and the "healing" was left on the backburner, IMO.

Up to 6 people are allowed to meet up outdoors, so the Queen, Charles, William and Harry could all sit in the garden, provided that they didn't get too close, but I don't know that this is the time for it.

Up to 6 people are allowed to meet up outdoors, so the Queen, Charles, William and Harry could all sit in the garden, provided that they didn't get too close, but I don't know that this is the time for it.
IMO, it isn't. But it's amusing to watch the media turn around on this after all of their "Funeral is the perfect time to heal the rift!", "Harry talked to this and that!", "It's up to the Queen to take steps towards reconciliation now". Suddenly, it's all "Harry goes back". They made a mountain out of a molehill.

Funeral is about loss. Healing is another matter. Separate things.

I agree but the process of healing can begin from the loss. Being together, talking about the loved one, sharing stories, making each other laugh with a few tears. Some lunches / afternoon teas in the garden for up to 6 people would be COVID compliant and good for them all if the focus is on remembering Philip. It would also bring his wishes to the fore about being a family and might help them past some barriers eg what would Papa/Grandpa want us to do?

I agree but the process of healing can begin from the loss. Being together, talking about the loved one, sharing stories, making each other laugh with a few tears. Some lunches / afternoon teas in the garden for up to 6 people would be COVID compliant and good for them all if the focus is on remembering Philip. It would also bring his wishes to the fore about being a family and might help them past some barriers eg what would Papa/Grandpa want us to do?
It might be. But that wasn't what the media said, was it? They immediately started making it all about the great reconciliation as something that logically should take place right away, instead of letting people deal with it as they saw fit. Media tried to assign roles. I think it was only yesterday when Kate was pushed into the peacemaker mould. Before, it was TQ. There was even something about Beatrice and Eugenie...

If they think they're THE wronged party, there's no contradiction. If they think they did everything right and stellarly and were villainly screwed over by the RF, as they seem to show in the interview, then why woudn't they expect of the RF to prostrate itself before them and humbly beg for forgiveness? Then, they could have "forgiven" and "moved on". But since it didn't happen, Janina, Gayle and Omid were sent to the frontlines and the "healing" was left on the backburner, IMO.

I see your point, but I would think most people could recognize that knowingly trashing your family in front of a world wide audience audience, even if you think you are 100% the wronged party and did absolutely nothing wrong ever (ridiculous mindset IMO- but anyway)... you’d still get that your family won’t appreciate being trashed before the world and that doing so is not going to help any reconciliation. I mean....they weren’t going to thank Harry and Meghan for that interview. I mean really....Harry’s not the brightest person, but he can’t be that clueless. I hope.

I see your point, but I would think most people could recognize that knowingly trashing your family in front of a world wide audience audience, even if you think you are 100% the wronged party and did absolutely nothing wrong ever (ridiculous mindset IMO- but anyway)... you’d still get that your family won’t appreciate being trashed before the world and that doing so is not going to help any reconciliation. I mean....they weren’t going to thank Harry and Meghan for that interview. I mean really....Harry’s not the brightest person, but he can’t be that clueless. I hope.
I fear he is... that interview showed a real rift that clearly exists in Harry's mind between him and his family, real anger.. and I dont think that the RF can get over it that easilly.. but I think that Harry just thinks that attacking his father on TV will somehow bring his fahter to his knees and have him ready to help out financially, still....

Given that Gayle mentioned that the RF statement and the media weren't focusing on the right things (too busy focused on the racism accusations, imagine that!) and that "no one was talking to Meghan who is the real victim" it seemed that they might actually have expected that the family would fall over themselves to apologise and blame the media for everything and immediately issue statements that they were getting their security paid for and HRH titles for Archie and Daughter.

And one doesn't say one hopes for a reconciliation on air moments after deliberately trashing your family unless you're clueless.

Assuming ANY of the recent leaks about Meghan and the funeral and the Queen are coming from their camp then they either believe what they're saying about being the ones that have the power to grant forgiveness in this time of grief even if they don't regret the interview or they're cynically trying to trying to be part of this international outpouring without giving up their "we were wronged narrative" for later use.

Where do you get Harry is expecting anything financially from his father? He has his own money and deals. And he hasn’t taken a dime from his father in over a year it seems. So this narrative seems odd.

He spoke of what happened during the year they were suppose to be transitioning. They were in “review” yet were “cut” off at the same time. The whole thing was such a bizarre situation but it’s over

They making their own money and paid back what they were given as far as their UK debts like their home.

Last edited:
Do we know if Harry is fully vaccinated? I have not read California’s rules so I don’t know if he is eligible yet. I agree that a funeral is not the time to mend fences with his father, brother, and extended family members . However, I do hope he will get to spend some time, even if a few hours, with his grandmother who because of her age....you never know. I don’t know if the current rules in the UK would allow outside visits with masks. The Queen is fully vaccinated so the risk is less.

Not likely. California just opened it up to 16+ as of today, before that it was 50+.

IMO, it isn't. But it's amusing to watch the media turn around on this after all of their "Funeral is the perfect time to heal the rift!", "Harry talked to this and that!", "It's up to the Queen to take steps towards reconciliation now". Suddenly, it's all "Harry goes back". They made a mountain out of a molehill.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s the perfect time to start laying the groundwork for better relationships. How does anyone know how much time they have on this earth with their loved ones ? This idea, for instance, that Charles has fantastic genes so he may very well live as long as his parents may be true, but it’s absolutely no guarantee that he will - we have no idea how long he’ll be around. William - he’s half is fathers age, but still we don’t know how long he’s got. Same with the rest of the family. My point is, life is precious - and as we’ve seen especially during the pandemic, you never know when the last time will be that you speak to a loved one, say you love them.

Healing is only going to happen over a period of time, but you have to start somewhere...

Exactly. I’m pretty sure Charles came to hugely regret talking about his parents in the Dimbleby interview...and apparently Diana regretted the Bashir interview. Lessons could have been learned. Now maybe Harry did that deliberately to hurt his father and brother, much as he loves them....we’ll never know, and I won’t assume that. But, giving H the benefit of any doubt, it was still a terrible idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom