The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil

273px-Combined_Coat_of_Arms_of_Harry_and_Meghan%2C_the_Duke_and_Duchess_of_Sussex.svg.png

Combined Arms of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Eight

Commencing April 2023

The previous thread can be found here.
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

Prior to posting, news-links from reliable sources can be posted freely. Links to support factual information [f.e. to a wikipedia article] can be posted freely.

Articles from semi-reliable sources will have to be sent to the mod. team prior to posting.

• The mod. team will check these links and assess if they can be posted.
  • The mod. team will post the links themselves, while crediting the poster who sent it.
  • Moderators for this thread will be the British mods: Zonk, JessRulz, soapstar, Ista, HRHHermione and Marengo. It is best to cc all of us.
Opinion articles, columns and videos can not be posted at all.

The following aspects are considered off-topic:

• Rehashing of events from 2017-2021, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo. Social media is not a source. All new information must be accompanied by a link to a media outlet. An exception is made for the accounts of established royalty reporters.
  • Debates over titles or stripping of titles
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards the subject, other members or the media
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

Reliability of News Sources

To assist in keeping discussions as factual as possible, the moderating team has created the following example list of international news sources and grouped them based on their reliability and previous history to provide factual or correct information.

Please use this list as a guide when viewing and forming opinions on information. If your source is not listed, base the reliability off of a similar source.

Reliable Sources
BBC
The Times / The Sunday Times
The Telegraph
Guardian

Semi-Reliable Sources
The Daily Mail
Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror
Daily Express
The Sun
Vanity Fair
People Magazine

Unreliable Sources
Social Media pages
Page Six
National Enquirer

Not wanted: opinion columns, opinion news shows or opinion vlogs. We can form our own opinions without their help. This includes the Murdoch press that is active in several anglo-saxon countries.

Last edited:
Yesterday, April 18, the Duke of Sussex appeared via video link during a reception at the state representation of North Rhine-Westphalia in Berlin in the run-up to the Invictus Games 2023:

** Pic ** dm article **

Has anyone read Town & Country? A “friend” of Meghan’s has spoken to T&C about Meghan’s reasons for not attending the coronation.

Has anyone read Town & Country? A “friend” of Meghan’s has spoken to T&C about Meghan’s reasons for not attending the coronation.

I just saw the article. I guess its not the first time friends of Meghan have spoken to People magazine anonymously. Each of us can draw our own conclusiosn.

"Meghan wants to be there to support her father-in-law, but at the same time, the scrutiny she receives outweighs the support." I guess Meghan has always supported her father-in-law, through the Oprah interview and the Netflix series, to name but a few instances.

Last edited:
I just saw the article. I guess its not the first time friends of Meghan have spoken to People magazine anonymously. Each of us can draw our own conclusiosn.

"Meghan wants to be there to support her father-in-law, but at the same time, the scrutiny she receives outweighs the support." I guess Meghan has always supported her father-in-law, through the Oprah interview and the Netflix series, to name but a few instances.
Same old story every time.

I am probably in the minority, but I think that Meghan's decision not to attend the
Coronation is probably a good idea. A lot of focus would be on her. We do not know
what goes on behind the scenes. She might have had a conversation with her father=in-law that we know nothing about. She might have a good relationship with
king that we KNOW NOTHING about.

Harry alone is easier to stomach than Harry and Meghan together.
That they have 2 young children in California and it happens to be Archie's birthday is the perfect excuse.

A palace insider speaking directly to People is no worse than Meghan's friends "anonymously" speaking to People.

I'm happy Meghan has taken the high road in this. All eyes would have been on her, and not on the King. It's his day after all. The royal family need Harry and Meghan, because honestly, without them, the RF is dull. There needs to be honest reconciliation with both sides committing to not using the press to humiliate each other, and allowing each member of the institution to thrive in their skillset. Harry and Meghan have much to contribute. I come from a Commonwealth nation, and we love Harry and Meghan.

I am probably in the minority, but I think that Meghan's decision not to attend the
Coronation is probably a good idea. A lot of focus would be on her. We do not know
what goes on behind the scenes. She might have had a conversation with her father=in-law that we know nothing about. She might have a good relationship with
She has an odd way of showing it, if she has a good relationship with Charles. Why did she not deter her husband from writing a nasty book about his fahter and family. Why did she lie and say that Charles was going to remove HRH from Archie?

I'm happy Meghan has taken the high road in this. All eyes would have been on her, and not on the King. It's his day after all. The royal family need Harry and Meghan, because honestly, without them, the RF is dull. There needs to be honest reconciliation with both sides committing to not using the press to humiliate each other, and allowing each member of the institution to thrive in their skillset. Harry and Meghan have much to contribute. I come from a Commonwealth nation, and we love Harry and Meghan.

I don't think Meghan is taking any "high road". While her decision not to attend might be convenient for everybody (including the BRF), I am pretty sure that Meghan and her surrogates will weaponize her absence as part of her "victimization" narrative.

We have already seen it in the discourse that Meghan is not attending the coronation because she and her kids are "not wanted" and would be snubbed or ostracized if they attended. I expect that version to be repeated by the usual Sussex mouthpieces over the months following the coronation.

Last edited:
Sure thing. She is on speaking terms with her father-in-law whose son is barely on speaking terms with him.

She has an odd way of showing it, if she has a good relationship with Charles. Why did she not deter her husband from writing a nasty book about his fahter and family. Why did she lie and say that Charles was going to remove HRH from Archie?

Once again, this is holding HRH The Duchess of Sussex responsible for the actions of HRH The Duke of Sussex. She is neither his minder nor his mother. It is not her responsibility to rein in her husband's impulses, especially about issues that predate her even meeting him. Also, no wife would publicly denounce her husband even if she disagreed with him, so why should that be expected of HRH The Duchess of Sussex?

HRH The Duchess of Sussex has done enough for her own actions to be criticized without lumping in, either partially or unilaterally, her husband's.

What skill set do they have? The BRF are actually doing quite well without them and the BRF being “dull” is okay, they aren’t comedians so them being dull is no problem. H&M are mainly the ones who have been attacking the family in the media, heard of Harry’s book Spare? If you have, maybe you’ll rethink them being “needed”. Their way of doing things wasn’t compatible with the BRF and the institution, with their silly commercial ventures that have mainly being involved in insulting the family.

What skill set do they have? The BRF are actually doing quite well without them and the BRF being “dull” is okay, they aren’t comedians so them being dull is no problem. H&M are mainly the ones who have been attacking the family in the media, heard of Harry’s book Spare? If you have, maybe you’ll rethink them being “needed”. Their way of doing things wasn’t compatible with the BRF and the institution, with their silly commercial ventures that have mainly being involved in insulting the family.
Im not sure whom you are speaking to, but if its me, I havent' said any of the tings that you seem to be mentioning.

Once again, this is holding HRH The Duchess of Sussex responsible for the actions of HRH The Duke of Sussex. She is neither his minder nor his mother. It is not her responsibility to rein in her husband's impulses, especially about issues that predate her even meeting him. Also, no wife would publicly denounce her husband even if she disagreed with him, so why should that be expected of HRH The Duchess of Sussex?

HRH The Duchess of Sussex has done enough for her own actions to be criticized without lumping in, either partially or unilaterally, her husband's.
They work together, and if Meghan had a good relationship with Charles, she would surely have told her husband that it was going to harm both her and the children for him to write a book attackig his brother and father.

Im not sure whom you are speaking to, but if its me, I havent' said any of the tings that you seem to be mentioning.
Sorry I hadn’t realised I responded to your post by accident, I meant to respond to someone else who mentioned the things I talked about.

HRH Tal Duchess, The Royal Family -The Monarchy doesn't exist to be an "entertainment mechanism" for the Public. That is not their "Mondus Opperendi". Actually they prefer to be low key, carry out their work and support their Patronages. Steady, reliable, relatable.

Not Celebrities. Dating back to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, George Vl and Queen Elizabeth. QEll and Prince Philip.

As a matter of fact when these Royal "stars" get blinded by their OWN popularity, it rarely works out well for them.
Whether it be the once incredibly popular Prince of Wales, Prince Edward, later Duke of Windsor OR Diana Princess of Wales. Both, in their time, global icons.

The Sussex's are not "needed" by The Royal Family. They left "empty handed", after their strong arm attempts to force the Firm to accept a HI-HO work proposal was categorically denied.

I think Harry and Meghan are finding that cold hard reality out. To their increasingly bitter bewilderment too. And frustration, as they are now the butt of very popular American media skits (South Parks Worldwide Privacy Tour) and late night sketches from Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, and comedian Chris Rock even had a go at Meghan too.

Meghan, in my opinion hasn't taken "the high road in this". I can't pretend to know what She thinks, but obviously the thought of being publicly booed before The World at The Coronation, and labeled a brazen hypocrite after ALL her attacks on The Family-Firm probably influenced her decision to pass. A good one too.

And while down the line there can always be *some* hope of a thawing in Family Relationships, I don't believe The Sussex's "skill set" (whatever that is ) or "contributions" will EVER be put to use by working for The Institution. Ever.
Too many hurtful and demeaning allegations by The Sussex's were made against The Family-Firm to EVER make that a possibility.

Last edited:

All eyes on her like at the Jubilee where she felt the need to lower the window of her car to be seen? And to play that skit at the window with the Philip and Tindall girls?

The only person taking the High road was The King, he invited them despite a great deal of mumblings in the media and elsewhere that they should not be asked. Even the souvenir programme has her photograph in it. So I do not agree that Meghan is taking the high road. I personally think she has run out of road.

Once again I need to disagree, who has written a book, appeared in Oprah, completed a docuseries. Mocked the curtsy to the Queen, mocked the uk with zoom calls drinking tea with her friend wearing garden party clothes.

Who Divulged very personal information about family members , text messages and conversations.. I do agree that in the beginning they did appear to have a skill set that would have been an asset to the RF but as time goes on I am not so sure about all this.

The Rf have not required them for the last 3 years, they have managed without them.

Why did Meghan mock the late Queen with her curtsy, she has to take a lot of responsibility for her own actions. She is not an innocent in all this.

All eyes on her like at the Jubilee where she felt the need to lower the window of her car to be seen? And to play that skit at the window with the Philip and Tindall girls?

Yeah that was a blinder. Only adult to appear at that window with the kids. But then maybe they all did but she was the only one photographed. She must have known they would photograph her. I would have stayed well away. But then maybe the kids for less judgemental company. Who knows?

Interestingly they only showed at the two events where they were guaranteed a picture. At the other two…where they would have no doubt been at further out they weren’t there. I don’t think they even saw the Queen at trouping. Just the family and then they didn’t want to go to lunch with them.

A long series of off-topic posts and responses re-litigating past history and invoking comparisions have been removed. This is a reminder that before posting on this thread members need to check the thread rules on the first page of the thread to avoid having their posts deleted. Through long trial and error, the moderating team have found that only when those rules are followed is it possible to keep the thread open, so to avoid thread closure please make sure that your posts do not violate any of the Sussex thread rules. Further posts along those lines will be deleted without warning.

They came to the Jubilee and they didn't "overshadow" anyone. In fact almost everything we heard about them came from their sources (how no one came to Lili's birthday, how they didn't like being seated with the cousins) and then they left early because it *wasn't* about them and everyone was busy. Well if they'd waited a few days....

Most of what we heard about them during most of the funeral activities was stuff about petty things like Harry's blessed uniform, things their surrogates like Scobie were only too happy to try and discuss on national TV. If they hadn't gone that route the coverage probably would have been both positive and minimal. And it wouldn't have been a bad thing for either side.

And let's not forget that last time Meghan did not attend a significant event she sent out a press release deliberately timed by PR people to land just as the funeral was starting and couldn't stop briefing that she and Prince Philip had a very special relationship because they were both outsiders. Etc Etc Etc.

The Sussexes live to make it about themselves IMHO. If it was a point of principle that she wasn't going to come then they would have announced it themselves weeks ago instead of BP confirming Harry's attendance.

That said, I think it is probably for the best that she isn't coming for several reasons but it isn't magnanimous on her part and based on past behaviour it is likely that something will drop during the festivities.

Last edited:

It’s true that there is less to write about the British royals without them (good or bad) which can be dull. But is dullness bad when it’s royalty? They don’t need to be most exiting people like celebrities promoting their personal life. More like representing the entire family as a collective, promoting the commonwealth countries and charities.

In any case weather it would have been good or not for Harry and Meghan to return, I really don’t see any way for them to return currently. I don’t think either party is interested. Earliest the royal family would change their mind is that there is many significant deaths in the family (like Charles, Camilla and Anne) before Williams kids are out of university and more people is needed. And that there really has been long time passed (maybe decades) and they have some assurances there won’t be more books written at very least.

It’s less clear what Harry and Meghan would really want. I don’t think Meghan wants to return anyway. Harry would need apparently have a change how press, security and money is handled it seems. But he seems just generally be really upset too over things that can’t be changed. But maybe he would change with time. Both of them might still change their mind if they did start to loose publicity and money. I don’t think they want to end up having similar image as Sarah Ferguson. Or Duke of Windsor charging money to see him. They are fine now but might not be in their 60s, at least if they maintain these security costs and if their children aren’t actually interested in staying in publicity to give them more attention. It depends a lot how they have handled their finances and if they have back up career plans if public looses interest.

The royal family need Harry and Meghan, because honestly, without them, the RF is dull.

I disagree with you but I'd take dull over celebrity any day. I don't want my Head of State and his/her family to keep hitting the front pages due to family dysfunction. We had our fill of that in the 1990s with the Wars if the Wales's and Sarah Ferguson making an exhibition of herself. I want efficiency and dignity, sprinkled with the sort of fun provided by the current working family when they visit places. I don't want drama, wingeing and tantrums. I definitely don't want wealthy, overprivileged, wannabe-celebrities trashing their family on TV or in books. Regardless of how much you love Harry and Meghan in the commonwealth, they're extremely unpopular here in the UK. They've made their choices and the monarchy moves on without them.

Will Prince Harry be with the Royal Family when they make an appearance on the balcony on Coronation Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom