The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Five

Commencing June 2021

The previous thread can be found here
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Additional Notice:

Members wishing to post their thoughts, comments and responses may do so in a CONSTRUCTIVE way and in a manner that promotes MATURE AND THOUGHTFUL. When posting, members are expected to act CIVILLY, RESPONSIBLY AND WITH RESPECT both towards one another and towards the subject matter.

Members who do not comply with these requests will be warned and may be suspended.

The following subjects and types of posts are off-topic and unacceptable:

• Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other members and the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the new thread that JessRulz kindly put up a few days ago. I, for one, have run out of anything new to share or comment about the Sussexes.?

I've noticed that too and it was a wise decision to archive the old and start a new thread. The only thing that has caught my attention as far as Harry and Meghan is that there have been article headlines that purport that Harry and Meghan are to be invited to the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022 which is a non-story for me. Of course, as members of the BRF, they'll be included. HM, The Queen is the epitome of diplomacy and the fact does remain that Harry is now and always will be her grandson.

I expect that the next we'll hear from the Sussexes will be the announcement of the birth of their daughter.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the new thread that JessRulz kindly put up a few days ago. I, for one, have run out of anything new to share or comment about the Sussexes.?
I dont know if it is true, but I saw a a peice in a paper today (tabloid) saying hat Harry was planning on takng a few months paternity leave. So possibly he wont be doing anyting much for the next few months.

The Times has released a review of The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall with only a short snippet shown.

Writing good picture books for small children is far harder than it looks. A fact only reinforced after reading The Bench, the debut from Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, who follows Sarah Ferguson and Queen Victoria in the grand tradition of royals who have given it a go.

The story, so lacking in action and jeopardy you half wonder if the writing job was delegated to a piece of furniture, charts the relationship between a father and son seen through the eyes of a mother. The action takes place around the said bench, the daddies and boys changing from page to page, allowing for a diverse cast: a Sikh dad and his son play football, a father and son with plaited hair watch ...

The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review — lacking a good story and basic rhythm
Rather than entertainment for children, this reads as a self-help manual for needy parents, says Alex O’Connell
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...cking-a-good-story-and-basic-rhythm-h8236x3s3

I dont know if it is true, but I saw a a peice in a paper today (tabloid) saying hat Harry was planning on takng a few months paternity leave. So possibly he wont be doing anyting much for the next few months.

Honestly, my first thought when I read they’d both be off for a bit is that, they don’t seem to have actually done a lot of work that takes much time- though I realize our view is very limited and COVID impacted them too- - since roughly their last tour....

Maybe I’m not being fair to them. But they don’t seem to have been overly busy for a long time.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

The Times has released a review of The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review. Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall with only a short snippet shown.

The Bench by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex review — lacking a good story and basic rhythm
Rather than entertainment for children, this reads as a self-help manual for needy parents, says Alex O’Connell
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...cking-a-good-story-and-basic-rhythm-h8236x3s3

Ouch. Just the snippet included speaks volumes. “Self help manual for needy parents.” And “writing job delegated to a piece of furniture” in particular. Clearly- not impressed at all.

The one poem someone posted awhile back did make this “children’s” book sound more like a book for parents than kids. Which is what this review is saying too.

The reviewer is basically saying: they don’t like the story or the writing style.

Last edited:
Honestly, my first thought when I read they’d both be off for a bit is that, they don’t seem to have actually done a lot of work that takes much time- though I realize our view is very limited and COVID impacted them too- - since roughly their last tour....

Maybe I’m not being fair to them. But they don’t seem to have been overly busy for a long time.

Oh I wouldn't say that. I'd say that in a couple of months they have been very very vocal and busy at thier new role of talking about the RF. Meghan not so much but she's been pregnant....

Ouch. Just the snippet included speaks volumes. “Self help manual for needy parents.” And “writing job delegated to a piece of furniture” in particular. Clearly- not impressed at all.

The one poem someone posted awhile back did make this “children’s” book sound more like a book for parents than kids. Which is what this review is saying too.

The reviewer is basically saying: they don’t like the story or the writing style.
The Amazon reviews (US) are either 5 stars saying “perfect,” “amazing” or 1 star talking about how it is platitudes for parents and not a children’s book at all. The most poignant review is from a children’s librarian who talks about how many deserving authors there are and how she wouldn’t have been published if she wasn’t who she is.

Looks like it was published just in time for their fans to buy for Father’s Day.:whistling:

Oh I wouldn't say that. I'd say that in a couple of months they have been very very vocal and busy at thier new role of talking about the RF. Meghan not so much but she's been pregnant....

Well, yes. I'd certainly agree that they've been busy. But I also agree with the question of what exactly is it they'll be taking leave from? What exactly is their job? They haven't exactly been cranking out the podcasts and documentaries. What exactly do they do other than issue statements and given interviews slamming that horrible, mean, nasty, racist, uncaring, cold family that they want so desperately to remain linked to with titles and never-ending commentary?

I looked at Amazon UK and the results were either high praise or one star awful. Numerous UK. reviewers commented on the awful grammar.

Here is another quote from the Telegraph “ One wonders how any publisher could have thought fit to publish this grammar-defying set of badly rhyming cod homilies, let alone think any child anywhere would want to read it.“

Well, yes. I'd certainly agree that they've been busy. But I also agree with the question of what exactly is it they'll be taking leave from? What exactly is their job? They haven't exactly been cranking out the podcasts and documentaries. What exactly do they do other than issue statements and given interviews slamming that horrible, mean, nasty, racist, uncaring, cold family that they want so desperately to remain linked to with titles and never-ending commentary?

But that is what they are doing, isn't it? They dont seem to be doing any "normal" documentaries.. but they can fairly easily think up a few things to say about the RF to make them look bad, and to make the Sussexes seem good. And every now and then I suppose they issue some preachment about politics or "being kind" or do a day of charity work. I reckon they can go on doing these attacks on the RF for a while and it will get them noticed and sympathized with by some.. so they'll go on doing that.

We actually don't know what their lives are like outside of what has been presented in the public domain though. They could be up to their necks in projects that they're starting. They're just really fortunate that they can take this time to be together as a new family whereas so many families just can't do that.

I get the feeling that with the announcement that they're taking this time as a leave that it means we won't be hearing from them much for a while. Maybe that's a good thing?

We actually don't know what their lives are like outside of what has been presented in the public domain though. They could be up to their necks in projects that they're starting. They're just really fortunate that they can take this time to be together as a new family whereas so many families just can't do that.

I get the feeling that with the announcement that they're taking this time as a leave that it means we won't be hearing from them much for a while. Maybe that's a good thing?

Depends what they're doing. there were periods last year when they went quiet.. but presumably they were then doing their deals with Netflix, and preparing to launch their bombshell interview with Oprah.

I also saw a group of specific people campaign to review her book. Sites like Amazon can detect that kind of spam, so it will be interesting how many are legit reviews. They delete what’s targeted posting.

So far I’ve seen positive and negative newspaper reviews. It’s to be expected. Not sure why the likes of Daily Mail is comparing a very heavily promoted Hold Still to The Bench that’s had barely any. Also it’s literally the first day. I know the hate her but it’s comical.

I haven’t read the book. Not into kids novels but wish her success.

Last edited:
The Sun had an amusing headline today "Earache Break for World: Harry to take 5 months orf" which yes it's The Sun but it seems to be the general idea of what they're taking time off from. They may well have projects on the go, and Harry has his Impact officer job but he wasn't full time or anything.

They clearly have the money and desire to spend time concentrating on their growing family and that's really great for them but I think a lot of people are a little bemused by the idea that it's a big deal, which is what some articles are pushing how "Harry and Meghan are leading the way on family focused life." Because the public don't see what might be keeping them professionally busy on a day to day basis except interviews about his family.

Here's the rather scathing Telegraph review of The Bench mentioned above for those who aren't subscribers:

https://archive.ph/Uhgqw

And The Times. That picture from The Times review show that they very, very clearly want you to know the book is written by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, even just by looking at the spine:

https://archive.ph/72A8T

The Sun had an amusing headline today "Earache Break for World: Harry to take 5 months orf" which yes it's The Sun but it seems to be the general idea of what they're taking time off from. They may well have projects on the go, and Harry has his Impact officer job but he wasn't full time or anything.

They clearly have the money and desire to spend time concentrating on their growing family and that's really great for them but I think a lot of people are a little bemused by the idea that it's a big deal, which is what some articles are pushing how "Harry and Meghan are leading the way on family focused life." Because the public don't see what might be keeping them professionally busy on a day to day basis except interviews about his family.

Here's the rather scathing Telegraph review of The Bench mentioned above for those who aren't subscribers:

And The Times. That picture from The Times review show that they very, very clearly want you to know the book is written by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, even just by looking at the spine:

Ouch! Thanks so much for sharing these reviews by reputable sources!

I agree with that. They’ve definitely devoted considerable time and energy to bashing the family.

I just don’t classify that as real work.

Ouch. Those are absolutely brutal reviews. I'll be honest, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing nor reading this book for a number of reasons, including the fact that my children are all in their tweens and teens so we've moved past the picture book years. But my goodness, the reviews are scathing and based on the quoted snippets, it's easy to see why.

I looked at Amazon UK and the results were either high praise or one star awful. Numerous UK. reviewers commented on the awful grammar.

Here is another quote from the Telegraph “ One wonders how any publisher could have thought fit to publish this grammar-defying set of badly rhyming cod homilies, let alone think any child anywhere would want to read it.“

Oh my....the extremity of the reviews, so far, are notable.

Wow. That is a very strongly worded negative review. They hated every aspect of it. Though it does speak to a thought I’d had: not everyone can just up and write a good quality book.

Thank you. These are scathing in their entirety.

There does seem to be the feeling of deliberate swipes taken at the royal family from the examples they noted. I believe a bike story was included.

What little I read sounds a bit like a poetic lecture in how to parent. Which I find annoying personally.

It sure isn’t a book for kids. Why it is called a children’s book is beyond me.

If the excerpts included are basically how the book itself reads...I’m glad it wasn’t my job to actually have to read the whole thing and review it. And I love to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. These are scathing in their entirety.

There does seem to be the feeling of deliberate swipes taken at the royal family from the examples they noted. I believe a bike story was included.

What little I read sounds a bit like a poetic lecture in how to parent. Which I find annoying personally.

It sure isn’t a book for kids. Why it is called a children’s book is beyond me.

If the excerpts included are basically how the book itself reads...I’m glad it wasn’t my job to actually have to read the whole thing and review it. And I love to read.

Most of the reviews point out that normally in a children's book about bonds with parents the books are written from the child's POV for obvious reasons. One of the reviews said it's for parents who are still all gooey about having a baby which makes sense if it was written just after Archie was born.

And that bike! I feel like taking out a billboard in Montecito full of Charles and baby Harry on bikes! It's my personal petty bugbear out of all this. ;)

Most of the reviews point out that normally in a children's book about bonds with parents the books are written from the child's POV for obvious reasons. One of the reviews said it's for parents who are still all gooey about having a baby which makes sense if it was written just after Archie was born.

And that bike! I feel like taking out a billboard in Montecito full of Charles and baby Harry on bikes! It's my personal petty bugbear out of all this. ;)

Thanks. That’s interesting.

I guess they’d have to be really gooey from my POV. Lol

When I read the few excerpts and thought it came across to me as lecturing parents- it also occurred to me that it’s not the first time Harry and Meghan have struck me that way with their tone. (I can’t think of a specific older example, but I have thought that. ) What I read sounded like: child says does x/ parent should respond y. The tutu example REALLY stood out.

The only thing the books reminds me of was what my Creative Writing lecturer told us on Day One. The mark of a good musician is when they know they are out of tune as much as knowing when others are, the same can be said about writer. A good writer knows when they are writing cr*p, a bad writer always thinks they are Hemingway.

It's my personal petty bugbear out of all this. ;)

Totally and completely off the subject but can I just say that this is my new favorite word/phrase? I've only ever heard this used by friends and acquaintances from the UK and it makes me chuckle every time. :lol:

I receive monthly emails from Penguin Random House with the "books you won't want to miss" for the month. I just received it and, unsurprisingly, this book is included in the email highlight. It doesn't say any more than the already circulated press blurb but I found it interesting, though not surprising, how hard they appear to be pushing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That’s interesting.

I guess they’d have to be really gooey from my POV. Lol

When I read the few excerpts and thought it came across to me as lecturing parents- it also occurred to me that it’s not the first time Harry and Meghan have struck me that way with their tone. (I can’t think of a specific older example, but I have thought that. ) What I read sounded like: child says does x/ parent should respond y. The tutu example REALLY stood out.

I think it's quite preachy from the recaps I've read. Even the Telegraph snarked on the presumption from her that "little boys who put on a tutu for fun clearly need a lot support". There probably is a market for that though and clearly the illustrations are lovely.

I get the impression that it's a poem that probably was a very sweet gift for father's day but doesn't necessarily translate into a good book for other people/kids. Of course YMMV.

Totally and completely off the subject but can I just say that this is my new favorite word/phrase? I've only ever heard this used by friends and acquaintances from the UK and it makes me chuckle every time.

Heh, it's a good word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom