The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part One

Commencing September 4, 2020

This replaces the General News and Current Events threads.
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional Notice:

This thread is to discuss News and Events of the the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and replaces the previous General News and Current Events threads, which are now closed.

In recent months, the Moderating team have found many instances where there is a crossover of discussion between the two previous threads. Further, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex carry out far fewer official engagements as members of the Royal Family and it seems appropriate to merge the two subjects into one.

Members wishing to post their thoughts, comments and responses may do so in a constructive way and in a manner that promotes mature and thoughtful discussion. When posting, members are expected to act civilly, reasonably and responsibly both towards one another and towards the subject matter.

Members who do not comply with these requests will be warned and may be suspended.

The following subjects and types of posts are off-topic and unacceptable:

• The couple's split from the Royal Family
  • The media, journalists, journalism, paparazzi, photographer, reporters etc
  • Relationship with other members of the Royal Family
  • The Markle family
  • Finances
  • Titles
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other members and the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Repetitive and circular discussion
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many Sussex friends have been seen around Montecito, I think the Duke and Duchess must be having a busy, busy social life.

David Foster, and his wife Katharine McPhee, have been photographed there just these last days. And have been seen entering a house a few doors away from Harry and Meghan.

Also Royal wedding guest Abigail Spencer, photographed selling flowers out of a van in a Montecito street. Lots of photos, and again just in recent days.

Misha Nonoo and husband were reported as viewing properties, after renting there during the summer.

Jameela Jamil was reported as visiting the Royal Couple, and also photographed on one of Montecito's beaches.

Some gathering for the Prince's upcoming birthday perhaps.

Certainly the couple don't appear to be isolated and rattling around their estate without company.

Even the local weekly community magazine made them the cover story, and subject of the Editor's Letter, a few issues back.

Links below -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...er-wife-Katharine-McPhee-visit-Montecito.html

https://issuu.com/santabarbarasentinel/docs/mj_34_26_full

The restaurant the Duke and Duchess were photographed at a week or so ago - Stonehouse, at San Ysidro Ranch - is one of only eleven open-air dining places across the US to have been awarded two Michelin stars during these Covid times.

Lucky them getting to eat out at such a place, only a short distance from their home.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of friends of Meghan have been seen. Any reports of any of Harry's close friends prior to Meghan?

Sounds like a lot of friends of Meghan have been seen. Any reports of any of Harry's close friends prior to Meghan?

Seeing as most of Harry’s close friends are based in the UK and it’s not wise or feasible to do any non-essential traveling at the moment with the pandemic, it’s probably very unlikely that they’ve been able to visit yet. Maybe they will visit once things calm down a bit... there are certainly worse places to visit on vacation than beautiful Southern California!

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's move to Montecito may have coincided with major changes to the Santa Barbara/American Riviera area, brought about by Covid.

Always a semi-rural though moneyed place - one of the first three locations in the US to establish a polo club - it's nature may be undergoing change.

Previously serviced by local family businesses, the celebrities escaping Covid are attracting the attention of high-end/luxury retailers.

"Women's Wear Daily" has done an interesting article - behind a paywall - quoting a local as saying Harry and Meghan, "SoCal royalty", haven't brought paparazzi and drones with them.

Last edited:
I hope the Sussexes haven't been affected by the fires currently going on in the West Coast at the moment. Knowing their charitable work I can imagine they are doing things to help the victims.

I hope the Sussexes haven't been affected by the fires currently going on in the West Coast at the moment. Knowing their charitable work I can imagine they are doing things to help the victims.

I've been watching that too HereditaryPrincess.

Australia has sent fifty-five firefighters to help - experienced managers and men who can help with the logistics. (More than just fifty-five more bodies to tackle the flames.)

The area has been affected by smoke haze, but the fires themselves are not in the area.

Though they just had their highest September temperature in history a few days ago and the power was down in some areas for up to ten hours, so no relief with air-conditioning.

Last edited:

Someone must have read your question Somebody. :lol:

A repeat of an article about the Duke's friend visiting him - before the move from the Beverly Ridge house to the Rockbridge Rd home.

A few more details, but this was reported at the time - I remember because I posted it.

Anyway, there is a nice photo of Mr Pelly on the internet if you check out the website for the company he works for. (Princess Bea has hers there too, but hers is not as professional looking.) And what a company - clients taken on ski trips etc.

Once internationl travel is re-opened, people with time and money will be on the move again, so no lack of friends dropping by I think.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...arry-court-jester-Guy-Pelly-raise-morale.html

Last edited:
Several posts have been removed, as off-topic. I'm unsure how Harry and Meghan are now expected to publicly police Netflix content that they do not produce.

Responses to deleted posts have been also removed.

Here's the weather/air quality report for Santa Barbara Co. To be honest it's worse in other areas to the north and the south. However they can remain indoors with air conditioning if anyone ie Archie would be sensitive to air pollution.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/air_quality_watch_for_santa_barbara_county_in_effect

Smoke-filled air from wildfires burning across California on Friday prompted local public health and air quality officials to issue an air quality warning “until conditions improve" in Santa Barbara County.
The alert will remain in effect until Monday morning, according to Lyz Hoffman, the Air Pollution Control District's public information officer.
Hourly air quality updates are available on the agency website by clicking here.

An “unprecedented” number of large wildfires in California are producing significant smoke that is being held in the upper atmosphere and is reaching ground level throughout the state, Hoffman said.
Several fires were burning in California on Friday, including blazes in Monterey and Los Angeles counties, according to CalFire.

Here's the weather/air quality report for Santa Barbara Co. To be honest it's worse in other areas to the north and the south. However they can remain indoors with air conditioning if anyone ie Archie would be sensitive to air pollution.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/air_quality_watch_for_santa_barbara_county_in_effect

Noozhawk is a great source of information about the Duke and Duchess's new area TLLK - they have a very active facebook, updated regularly.

I also like the Montecito Journal, published online each Wednesday. The people behind both seem like very down to earth types.

The Journal staff say their publication is "compiled, compounded, calibrated, cogitated over and coughed up”. Sounds like they have a lot of fun working on it.

And one of Andrew Morton's friends Richard Mineards, who has worked as a gossip columnist for decades, lives there and - in normal, non-Covid times - covers all the social happenings for this publication. Small, small world.

I think it must be a bit of a new experience for Prince Harry to be living in a fire zone.

If you haven't experienced it, it can be quite something. And a regular thing, regular fire season to deal with every year.

A very different experience to his former life. Dry heat, the Santa Ana winds, bush smoke.

I saw an article about the need for a rethink of the eucalyptus trees that have been previously planted.

Great for the dry terrain, but an un-needed fire hazard if they've been introduced.

Last edited:
Noozhawk is a great source of information about the Duke and Duchess's new area TLLK - they have a very active facebook, updated regularly.

I also like the Montecito Journal, published online each Wednesday. The people behind both seem like very down to earth types.

The Journal staff say their publication is "compiled, compounded, calibrated, cogitated over and coughed up”. Sounds like they have a lot of fun working on it.

And one of Andrew Morton's friends Richard Mineards, who has worked as a gossip columnist for decades, lives there and - in normal, non-Covid times - covers all the social happenings for this publication. Small, small world.

I think it must be a bit of a new experience for Prince Harry to be living in a fire zone.

If you haven't experienced it, it can be quite something. And a regular thing, regular fire season to deal with every year.

A very different experience to his former life. Dry heat, the Santa Ana winds, bush smoke.

I saw an article about the need for a rethink of the eucalyptus trees that have been previously planted.

Great for the dry terrain, but an un-needed fire hazard if they've been introduced.

Harry's going to need to learn that Fall and Winter should be renamed "fire and mudslide" in some years. Good point regarding the eucalyptus trees that I hadn't considered.

Several posts have been deleted. Do not continue posting on a topic that a moderator has noted is off topic. If you have questions about deletions they can be addressed to the moderator via PM.

Seems like I read his good friend Nacho F. lives close by too, if so Id imagine they visit each other.

LaRae

Seems like I read his good friend Nacho F. lives close by too, if so Id imagine they visit each other.

LaRae

Nacho and his family are mainly based in Florida and Argentina (though they spend a lot of time in the Hamptons for polo). His polo team is based out of Wellington Florida. The family has a massive horse ranch and stunning home near Buenos Aries which is their personal main home. But it does seem Nacho is in California for work and play often so I am sure they will see each other.

Glad to see Meghan participating in the meeting with Smart Works. It is an important initiative and I was happy she took it on.

I quite like the black and white print above the fireplace.

I wonder if the "I Love You California" print was brought to Meghan's attention by Elton John's decorator - he has been reported as being recommended to style their new home, Countessmeout.

Seems more likely to be the Duchess's taste to me though.

And if you saw the "paint swatches" on the wall a few weeks ago - another media mistake.

They have been identified, from old photos, as being a wall speaker and the base of one of the wall lamps. So no, the couple aren't going for grey and black walls in that room.

Yes, I agree Mr Figueras, and his wife, must have a strong association with the Santa Barbara area Pranter.

They have done several photo spreads in the local SB glossies over the years.

Here's an example - cover and ten page article about half way in.

https://issuu.com/santabarbaramag/docs/145_polo16

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1433449/prince-harry-meghan-markle-elton-john-california/

I saw a report that the one thing the Duchess wanted in her US home more than any other was a great garden/good grounds - which she seems to have achieved from the photos I've seen of their new property.

Last edited:
I want to live in that tea house on the property...it looks amazing!

I want to live in that tea house on the property...it looks amazing!

Doesn’t it just. Tea-houses are a thing by the look of it Pranter.

There are lots of photos of Oprah Winfrey’s tea-house on the net. Quite different to the Sussex’s.

The Children’s Playhouse looks interesting too, a good studio or office space if their son doesn’t want it. (The roundish building covered in flowers just behind the playground ... the one with the sculpture of the boy and dog on the side.)

I would link some photos I’ve saved - I like property - but I think a lot of sites have been scrubbed, and some fan sites have mistakes in them.

Of course, any photos that have been seen would be changed by the Duke and Duchess as they make it more their home.

Even some photo are from different sales years with different furnishings, so what we’re seeing won’t be what the couple end up living in.

The layout of the grounds won’t change much I guess.

Having that creek run through it must be a plus in such a dry place. If they keep Archie away from it for safety, but the same could be said of the swimming pool.

(Here in Australia all pools have to have child-proof fencing around them.)

Water must be an issue. I’ve been reading that Ms Winfrey only has two private wells, and there has been some disgruntlement about her accessing other water.

The Sussexes are reported as having four private wells. Plus less land to keep green, so they should be ok.

Last edited:
I'd never seen a tea house until recently and that's only in pictures, that doesn't exist in my part of the U.S. ..it must be a west coast thing?

I don't know about the water there. We live rural so we have a private well. It's common here.

LaRae

TV appearance coming up for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex -

https://www.eonline.com/news/118856...g-the-stars-appearing-in-abcs-time100-special

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Markle-feature-televised-TIMEs-100-list.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...s-of-Sussex-Prince-Harry-TIME100-royal-latest

"Time's 100 Most Influential People" will be broadcast on September 22nd in the US.

Harry and Meghan will make a personal appearance on the show according to the reports.

And Omid Scobie has confirmed it on his twitter ... "you'll be seeing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle there!".

Last edited:
Delightful. The property is small, where is Harry going to put the barn for his polo ponies(jest). I'm sure he will be playing in polo charity functions. I think this probably influenced the buying of the property in this area. Great for Harry I think he must miss the thrill of riding and his polo buddies.

Last edited:
Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder.

The vacuity of the modern age.

This is an unsubstantiated report from the Daily Fail, which constantly drags up negative and imaginative stories about the Sussexes. Note that it says that Harry is going to borrow helicopters, thereby establishing a freeloader narrative again.
I'll believe it when I see photos of Harry in a helicopter at this club, or when he and/or Meghan speaks about it.

:previous: But come on unnamed 'royal sources' are always reliable :whistling:

The DM is totally unbias. They would never print anything that wasn't fully proven to be true first. I mean they wouldn't want to paint Harry and Meghan in any kind of negative light at all.

Harry hasn't felt the need to keep up his flying since he left the army how many years ago. Why would he suddenly now?

Meghan pays tribute to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg who passed away Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom