The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, there's quite a bit of emotionally and highly charged opinionated chatter that has not been reflective or thoughtful. But as they say, to each their own way of expressing opinions and emotions whether based on reliable information, gossip or tabloid stories.

I'm glad that it appears Meghan will be continuing with her patronages. I'm sure SmartWorks and Mayhew are glad too. I'm not as familiar with Meghan's behind-the-scenes work with the ACU and the National Theatre. So I wonder what might be in store with those two patronages going forward.

It would be nice if rather than associating themselves with particular charities in Canada they visited different ones every time so that they can highlight their areas of work. Patronage’s are a very royal thing to have but now they broke free and could organise themselves a bit differently to give different worthy causes a bit of air time.

They tried that with their monthly following in IG which now they cut to only one. I think they prefer to focus and have in-depth and lasting works with a few orgs rather than giving fleeting fame to many.

I'm glad that it appears Meghan will be continuing with her patronages. I'm sure SmartWorks and Mayhew are glad too. I'm not as familiar with Meghan's behind-the-scenes work with the ACU and the National Theatre. So I wonder what might be in store with those two patronages going forward.

Lets see how all of this evolves. Personally, I would be surprised if Meghan did much with UK based charities in the future, or frankly visited the UK.

Lets see how all of this evolves. Personally, I would be surprised if Meghan did much with UK based charities in the future, or frankly visited the UK.

At least a couple of her charities have posted on Twitter that they are in contact with her and she has told them she fully intends to keep involved with their organization.

LaRae

meghan only had a handful of patronages:

Mayhew
Smart Works
The Association of Commonwealth Universities
The Queen's Commonwealth Trust
The Royal National Theatre

as for mayhew and smartworks, those seem to be what they called 'private patronages' so it would seem meghan will keep these.

we know what will happen with the The Queen's Commonwealth Trust - they remain president & vicepresident.

i assume that for The Royal National Theatre, since meghan took over someone else in the RF as patron, this is one of those patronages where she would represent the queen, so i assume she will no longer hold this one?

what we don't know is what will happen with The Association of Commonwealth Universities. maybe something similar to The Queen's Commonwealth Trust?

in addition, meghan visited regularly a number of initiatives (such as the hubb kitchen or luminary bakery), i assume she will continue her involvement with these.

One thing we do know is that the physical and public visits to the charities and organizations that Meghan supports is only the tip of the iceberg as far as involvement goes. So much is done behind the scenes. Meghan could very well be totally involved still by remote access and communications and still come up with incentives such as the clothing line for Smart Works or the cookbook collaboration with the Hubb Kitchen easily without having to physically be there.

This is the beauty of instant communication in the global community we all live in these days. It used to be that the physical attendance somewhere was the only way to really be "seen" and participating. That has changed drastically just in the past decades.

At this point it is impossible to tell how much involvement Meghan will have with UK charities going forward: whether she will keep the ones she has long term, whether she will add more, or whether she will do a slow fade. I could see any of those things happening, and while we have heard what the intention might be, how that will play out over time is an open question. No matter how authoritatively any poster makes a statement, one way or the other, the bottom line is that this is all a work in progress, and I don't think anyone has any idea how this is all going to look three or four years from now. Based on other confident predictions over the last 2-3 years, which have been proven incorrect, I think a wait and see attitude is probably the best one.

Looking at their recent Instagram stories, it does seem that they are getting involved in Canadian charities and causes, which I think is great! Even though they won’t have many of their former patronage’s, charity and giving back is important to both Meghan and Harry and I’m glad to see that they are continuing it in their new life and country of residence.

Per their IG stories, it looks like the Duke & Duchess of Sussex are already advocating for charities within Canada

Last edited:
Numerous off-topic posts have been deleted. This is not another thread to hijack with the repetitive discussion we were seeing in the "Stepping Back" thread. Keep the discussion to Meghan's patronages, or they will be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that Meghan was no longer on the National Theater patronage. I guess reading this that's not true.

I read that Meghan was no longer on the National Theater patronage. I guess reading this that's not true.

Where did you read either statement? Was it from Buckingham Palace or their spokesperson?

Unless something comes directly from Buckingham Palace or the Duke and Duchess of Sussex themselves, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing has been released from either so it’s fair to say that this is not true at this time.

Actually it was "sources" from the National Theater. And I read it all over the place. American and British papers.

I'm backing you up on this one but the information is different. I remember too that the National Theater was one of the places Meghan visited right before the bombshell announcement and at that time right after the announcement was made, a spokesperson from the NT said Meghan reassured them that she would remain involved. Even the latest statement on their Instagram account stated that they would retain some "royal" patronages they already have. The National Theater is one of those. ?

Actually it was "sources" from the National Theater. And I read it all over the place. American and British papers.

The only source from National Theatre has been from the director who went on the record and stated Meghan was staying on board and they had projects coming up. Unless the other sources are legit and know more than him than it is basically just gossip hearsay.

Looking at their recent Instagram stories, it does seem that they are getting involved in Canadian charities and causes, which I think is great! Even though they won’t have many of their former patronage’s, charity and giving back is important to both Meghan and Harry and I’m glad to see that they are continuing it in their new life and country of residence.

Harry and Meghan have no official standing in Canada. I suppose then that, if they get involved with any Canadian charity, it will be in a private capacity only.

Well I read it in the Guardian and the Times of London. I don't associate them with "unsubstantiated gossip".

Depends on what their source is. Sometimes these guys all report the story using the same source. IF the source is the DM or Sun etc...well.

LaRae

Well I read it in the Guardian and the Times of London. I don't associate them with "unsubstantiated gossip".

These are the only articles published by The Guardian or The Times on this topic. None state that "Meghan was no longer on the National Theater patronage."

The Guardian, February 19, 2020
“He [Rufus Norris, the director of the National Theatre] also denied reports of a rift between the theatre and its patron Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, saying there was “ongoing, very productive dialogue with the duchess and her team”.”
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/feb/19/national-theatre-boss-denies-being-part-of-left-of-centre-elite

The Times, January 11, 2020
“A spokesman for the National Theatre confirmed that the duchess would remain as patron and that the theatre was “very much looking forward to continuing our work with her”.”

The Times, February 19, 2020
“Last night it was reported that the duchess had promised the National Theatre that her work as patron would be “business as usual”. Rufus Norris, its artistic director, told The Daily Telegraph that the duchess and the theatre were exploring projects to use her “star reach”. “From our perspective, I don’t think it’s going to change anything,” he said.”

Harry and Meghan have no official standing in Canada. I suppose then that, if they get involved with any Canadian charity, it will be in a private capacity only.

But Meghan was seen visiting 2 charities a few weeks ago...

I'm not sure what the argument/discussion is...as of April 1, 2020 all of their involvement with ANY charities will be done in a private capacity.

These are the only articles published by The Guardian or The Times on this topic. None state that "Meghan was no longer on the National Theater patronage."

The Guardian, February 19, 2020
“He [Rufus Norris, the director of the National Theatre] also denied reports of a rift between the theatre and its patron Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, saying there was “ongoing, very productive dialogue with the duchess and her team”.”
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/feb/19/national-theatre-boss-denies-being-part-of-left-of-centre-elite

The Times, January 11, 2020
“A spokesman for the National Theatre confirmed that the duchess would remain as patron and that the theatre was “very much looking forward to continuing our work with her”.”

The Times, February 19, 2020
“Last night it was reported that the duchess had promised the National Theatre that her work as patron would be “business as usual”. Rufus Norris, its artistic director, told The Daily Telegraph that the duchess and the theatre were exploring projects to use her “star reach”. “From our perspective, I don’t think it’s going to change anything,” he said.”

Nope. I read it in both. Also USA Today and some Canadian paper. But we'll see if it's true or not.

Please note that posts attacking other members and subsequent responses have been deleted. Now let's move on please.

Nope. I read it in both. Also USA Today and some Canadian paper. But we'll see if it's true or not.

What is suppose to be true or not? The actual director of the National Theater had an interview and said Meghan is their patron and the rumors circulated were not true. Can’t get more direct and factual than that.

What is suppose to be true or not? The actual director of the National Theater had an interview and said Meghan is their patron and the rumors circulated were not true. Can’t get more direct and factual than that.

I thought that there was a story that someone in the NT had said that she was tehir patron but that she would have to "prove herself"..

I thought that there was a story that someone in the NT had said that she was tehir patron but that she would have to "prove herself"..

I believe I read something similar. Basically stating that for now she is their patron but indicating that patience was running short and that she would need to prove that she both wanted to and could remain active and involved in order for the arrangement to continue to work. I think what I read said that if by Easter the administrators of the NT felt that they were getting short shrift then they would seek to change the arrangement. Again, though, it appears that this wasn't any official statement but rather someone from the NT providing his thoughts and opinions on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom