The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An extended video of her engagement at Mayhew. Meghan visited right before the holidays per a lot of her comments.

It wouldn't surprise me if their newest dog came from Mayhew. Its been stated that Meghan has visited the shelter before. We didn't know that when we got word that they had a new member of the family.

Omid Scobie is stating in his article that the second dog is a rescue and a black Labrador.
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...markle-mayhew-baby/?__twitter_impression=true
But though tempted to bring Minnie back to Kensington Palace to join her other two rescue pooches, the duchess lamented, “We can’t take another dog before the baby... our hands are too full!”

Also, the charity has received widespread interest and publicity with Meghan becoming its patron which will help this small charity in fund raising.

Last edited:
It seems Richard Palmer’s report wasn’t cut. Meghan was on the cover of Express, Sun, Metro, and DM. Two with pic from the evening and two from the event in the morning.

Shorter visit makes sense. Length of visits are based on many things including the activity. Yes Kate was at hers for two hours, but hers included watching a dress rehersal of a show which takes time. Meghan as simply taking a tour.

It seems people are looking for bad optics. Once again she showed an evident passion and connection. And from the fact she not only recognized staff but some of the animals tells us she has indeed made more then one visit. It's not about the amount of time but the impact they make.

I hope one day we know about the new dog. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a rescue. Be touching if from Mayhew. Camilla rescued her dogs from a shelter she is patron of.

Last edited:
Nice to see Meghan once again prepared for her charity visit. She’s always learning and sharing, lovely interaction with everyone. The Mayhew does amazing work locally & internationally, especially for a small charity. Terrific that Duchess Meghan has brought more attention & interest to this important cause.

A sweet compilation video of Duchess Meghan’s official visit as patron, by Mayhew staff, at link below.

“We're delighted to have welcomed The Duchess of Sussex on her first visit as our Patron this afternoon. The Duchess met with our CEO, Mayhew staff and volunteers; as well as members of the community we've helped and animals under our care, to see our work first-hand”.

Court Circular 16th January:
The Duchess of Sussex, Patron, this afternoon visited Mayhew, Trenmar Gardens, London NW10, and was received by Mr. Kevin McGrath (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London).

I'm happy to report the Jack Russell Terrier that stole Meghan's heart, Minnie, has been adopted.

Doubt it. On top of her comment about having their hands full, Minnie also has to be the only pet in the house.

There is a funny video of Meghan trying to get her assistant Amy to adopt Minnie.

I'm glad to hear that the Jack Russell was adopted - I'm glad that more royals are getting involved in animal welfare charities and that more animals can have loving forever homes. IIRC Meghan is a dog lover (as are most of her in-laws) so I'm sure this engagement was right up her street!
Somewhat reminds me of the time Camilla adopted her Jack Rusells (the royals seem to have a knack for attracting Jack Russell's attentions!) Beth and Bluebell from Battersea after she visited for an engagement.

Omid Scobie indicated on his podcast yesterday that there is some sort of awards on January 25 which is next Friday. So maybe we should see Meghan and Harry then. The awards is in connection with one of Meghan's patronages ... either the ACU or the National Theater ...forgot which one.

Last edited:
I feel this provides poor optics because m all of her other engagements so far have been over an hour long. So yes it provides bad optics when she stays there only a mere 35 min on her first official visit. It sends, in my opinion as someone who has been in the world of rescuing and fostering for over 15 years, a message that her patronage with them is not because she has a true interest in their cause. It has the feel of what I call a “vanilla patronage”- something light that would provide good PR for her (as animals charities usually do for royals - I mean who doesn’t like cute dogs and cats?) but which she has little to no real interest in.

I’m not sure whether the concern is that she finished a scheduled 45 minute engagement 10 minutes early or that the engagement was only scheduled for 45 minutes in the 1st place. Watching the video, Meghan had to work extremely hard to get the content and context out of the staff/clients that she did. I don’t think she could’ve stretched anymore without some activity involving the public as you suggested. This was Meghan’s 3rd visit plus she’s been a staunch advocate for pet adoption so I don’t question her commitment to the cause. And with 100+ years serving the community, I’m sure Mayhew does great work. However, I do think Meghan-KP-Mayhew need to have a “help me, help you” conversation to revisit how to best showcase it for the media.

A few interesting points from podcasts...

- Meghan found and selected Smart Works and Mayhew based on her own research. KP contacted them, they didn’t contact her.
- She made 4 or 5 previous visits to Smart Works in private. The founder said Meghan established relationships and built trust during those visits and that’s why there weren’t leaks from clients or staff.

I’m excited about Meghan’s patronages and think they’re a great fit for the areas she’s always been passionate about. I don’t need them to be edgy or controversial just genuine. I think what will be unique is taking a hands-on approach to work closely to grow these orgs rather than a transactional relationship where she visits annually if they’re lucky.

:previous:

IMO, DoS Meghan is clearly actively involved with everything she is doing as Duchess of Sussex. She absolutely hit the ground running and she's kept up an amazing pace with clearly genuine, involved interest, well-developed ideas and detailed background research. Meghan has had a very positive influence on the royal family, despite all the petty tabloid blather claiming the contrary.

The current profile that we see of Meghan is definitely aligned with things Meghan has stated in pre-Harry interviews about her desire to be hands-on with anything she becomes involved with. Case in point: Meghan's work with UN Women and One World in Toronto, which she discusses during her 2016 AOL Build interview, available on Youtube. Meghan's Create & Cultivate interview in Atlanta, in October 2016 (before news of her dating Prince Harry broke) is posted in the General News thread for the Sussexes. That's another great interview which reveals the essence of Meghan's work ethic, her positive, determined outlook on life, and her gift for giving back.

Kensington Palace
‏Verified account @KensingtonRoyal

The Duchess of Sussex will make her first visit as Patron to the @NationalTheatre on Wednesday 30th January. The visit will explore the organisation's work, and see The Duchess meet some of the talented teams and apprentices working behind the scenes.

&

The Duchess of Sussex make her first visit as Patron of the @The_ACU on Thursday 31st January to meet students and academics from across the ACU’s network of 500 university members. The ACU helps to advance knowledge, promote understanding, broaden minds and improve lives.

Yay, we’ll see Meghan three days in a row.

It's going to be a really busy week for Meghan.

:previous: Compared to people who work 40 hour weeks, 3 work days is not busy. Or even for someone like Charles or Anne that would be a slow week. But for some of the younger royals, three working days in one week is actually a descently busy schedule. Especially first year of marriage and pregnant. Nice to see that they are increasing their visibility.

I look forward to seeing her next two patronage visits.

Last edited:
Last time I looked, engagements on 3 days didn't make "a really busy week "! ?

3 subsequent days, with several engagements a day - and out of London too. Including first public visits to 2 of her new patronages.
And these are only the engagements we know about.
Why is it so wrong to assert that it looks like she might have a busy week?

:previous: Compared to people who work 40 hour weeks, 3 work days is not busy. Or even for someone like Charles or Anne that would be a slow week. But for some of the younger royals, three working days in one week is actually a descently busy schedule. Especially first year of marriage and pregnant. Nice to see that they are increasing their visibility.

Where is she on January 29th?? I only see the two days we see her.

I look forward to seeing her next two patronage visits.

It would shock you on busy the royals really are behind the scenes, not just when we officially see them out and about on official engagements. Not everything is officially announced.

3 subsequent days, with several engagements a day - and out of London too. Including first public visits to 2 of her new patronages.
And these are only the engagements we know about.
Why is it so wrong to assert that it looks like she might have a busy week?

Because it is Meghan.

Anyways they also have the Endeavour Fund Awards the week after. I am glad all the young royals are stepping up. They said it would happen and it has. Seems all next week will be active for KP between the two couples.

Busy rota.

Then again, the three engagement days are the ones that are made public. We don't know what their appointment books are like for the rest of the week. The behind the scenes kind of stuff, for the most part, isn't made public.

It would shock you on busy the royals really are behind the scenes, not just when we officially see them out and about on official engagements. Not everything is officially announced.

Then again, the three engagement days are the ones that are made public. We don't know what their appointment books are like for the rest of the week. The behind the scenes kind of stuff, for the most part, isn't made public.

I could not agree more. Often, there is a fair amount of work that goes on that is not recorded in the CC. Just because there are three public appearances for Meghan next week, it does not make it a particularly busy week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not agree more. Often, there is a fair amount of work that goes on that is not recorded in the CC. Just because there are three public appearances for Meghan next week, it does not make it a particularly busy week.

I used to be ignorant of how much work the royals do. Back in the day, I had no clue how much work it took for them to carry out their official duties - both behind the scenes and publicly. It takes a village and the royals are always on the move. The downtime they have is the most precious.

I’m so happy to see, Meghan, throwing herself into the work; especially leading up to the baby’s big debut.

No one is saying that Meghan is revolutionising the concept of a working royal. Or that she is working 80hr weeks.
Someone simply stated that she seems to have a nicely packed week ahead of herself. The horror, I guess?

And no, she doesn't have "3 appearances". She has several public engagements over the course of 3 consecutive workdays, mixed with bts work.

:huh:

Someone simply stated that she seems to have a nicely packed week ahead of herself. The horror, I guess?

Perhaps you just need to look at post 198 and reference to "a really busy week for Meghan" and my response in post 199 before you jump onto your high horse :)

I think Meghan is trying to do as much as she possibly can before she goes on maternity leave but even with royal ladies and maternity leaves, that doesn't mean they're not working behind the scenes to prepare when maternity leave is over. We just don't hear about it.

I've written about this problem with recorded work in the engagements thread. The fact is that many meetings & 'behind the scenes' work takes place outside of visits & this applies to all of the royal family. For someone just starting out, the amount of unseen, unrecorded background work will be even greater because they haven't yet established the links & projects of those who have been in "the firm" for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom