The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video of Meghan with Minnie. She was just going to pet her, but then changed her mind after standing a little bit and bent down to pick her up.

I wonder what her pups will do when she gets home. My little guy? If I dared to hold another dog while out, he's all over me when I get back sniffing me and giving me the evil eye. :lol:

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread or anything but didn't Camilla once adopt a dog from one of the charities or patronages she supports? I seem to recall that she did but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anyway, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that Minnie or another dog from Mayhew might find themselves a home with the Sussexes in the not to distant future.

Not to derail the thread or anything but didn't Camilla once adopt a dog from one of the charities or patronages she supports? I seem to recall that she did but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anyway, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that Minnie or another dog from Mayhew might find themselves a home with the Sussexes in the not to distant future.

I believe so. As for the Sussexes, they've got their hands full right now and in the foreseeable future. :lol: She had to control herself today with Minnie. :lol:

BTW, Meghan also talked about the advantage of adopting an older dog today. Which is important in my opinion because most people are look to adopt puppies. However, there are a lot of advantages to adopt an older dog that people overlook. She adopted Guy when he was older, they guessed he was about 3 based on his teeth.

Yes. That's true. But do we know if Harry and Meghan's new dog is a shelter dog? Could the dog have come from this charity?

What if this wasn't meant to be a long engagement in the first place. As been stated, Meghan has been to Mayhew before and perhaps this visit was primarily a photo op and a short meet and greet after it was officially announced that Mayhew was a patronage that Meghan was taking on.

The only thing I would have been worried about with Meghan at the shelter and being pregnant would be being around cat litter because cat feces (and soil or sand where cats have been) can carry a parasitic infection called toxoplasmosis.

She need to actually eat their feces (and they need to actually be infected) to get it. She has a better of contracting Toxo from uncooked beef than from a cat.

As for focusing on what Meghan did today that's great! Meghan showed up to an engagement for one of her first four patronages, greeted and played with some dogs as well as meeting people who support the charity, and been supported by it. She then left after 35 minutes. ?

Lets leave this here shall we, and look forward to this evenings appearance which is a little longer.

I agree that 35 min is a very short time frame for such an important cause, especially since she seems to have stayed at Smart Work for a good couple of hours and the luncheon with the hubb ladies. In my opinion this does not provide good optics to her commitment to this cause- dare I hope i’m wrong.

I agree that 35 min is a very short time frame for such an important cause, especially since she seems to have stayed at Smart Work for a good couple of hours and the luncheon with the hubb ladies. In my opinion this does not provide good optics to her commitment to this cause- dare I hope i’m wrong.

Like I said earlier, it depends on the activities they can plan. You can only stand around and talk to people for so long. She covered a good range of topics during the visit that'll provide plenty for coverage of what they do. I'm not sure how that's bad optics. Royal visits are short a lot of times. She took time and went through everything they had planned, and then left.

Yes. That's true. But do we know if Harry and Meghan's new dog is a shelter dog? Could the dog have come from this charity?

It wouldn't surprise me if their newest dog came from Mayhew. Its been stated that Meghan has visited the shelter before. We didn't know that when we got word that they had a new member of the family.

I don't know...it was said they got a Lab ...that Harry was raised around them and loves them. Not that the shelter couldn't of had one up for adoption.

LaRae

I don't know...it was said they got a Lab ...that Harry was raised around them and loves them. Not that the shelter couldn't of had one up for adoption.

LaRae

I have my doubts about the breed. When they were in Sussex, Meghan and Harry received a drawing of Guy, but she mistakenly thought it was the new dog. So I wonder.

I have my doubts about the breed. When they were in Sussex, Meghan and Harry received a drawing of Guy, but she mistakenly thought it was the new dog. So I wonder.

I hadn't heard that about the drawing...but it's quite possible the stories about the Lab were wrong also. I don't think anyone has seen the dog (media).

LaRae

How does someone not know phat? I thought it was pretty common phrase.

Maybe he isn't familiar with those cultures? I would say many folks where I live wouldn't get it either.

LaRae

I don't believe most people in my area would understand it, either. I can certainly see why the reporter was a bit shocked.

Like I said earlier, it depends on the activities they can plan. You can only stand around and talk to people for so long. She covered a good range of topics during the visit that'll provide plenty for coverage of what they do. I'm not sure how that's bad optics. Royal visits are short a lot of times. She took time and went through everything they had planned, and then left.
I feel this provides poor optics because m all of her other engagements so far have been over an hour long. So yes it provides bad optics when she stays there only a mere 35 min on her first official visit. It sends, in my opinion as someone who has been in the world of rescuing and fostering for over 15 years, a message that her patronage with them is not because she has a true interest in their cause. It has the feel of what I call a “vanilla patronage”- something light that would provide good PR for her (as animals charities usually do for royals - I mean who doesn’t like cute dogs and cats?) but which she has little to no real interest in.

This organization prides itself on major community involvement and education, there are so many activities that could have been done with the local community, maybe even with kids, while Meghan was there to showcase to the public their work and her involvement.
Because this is one of her first patronage, and there is of course the claims she’s been advocating animal welfare since she was young (though besides adopting Guy and Bogart I have not found any evidence to these claims - I’d love to be proven wrong) I would have expected a bit more.

To be honest i’m not too surprised, as I said only last week (and was told i’m wrong) that I do not think this is a good fit for her (at least not as one of the first patronage).

Again this is merely my personal opinion, I know it is likely not the popular opinion here, so I might avoid further comments - perhaps for now- since I worry I may say something that would upset anyone.

I haven’t heard “phat” used in years, so I can see why that wasn’t the first thing the reporter thought of when he heard the phrase. And to be honest, until I read it here, I wouldn’t have known that’s what she meant.

Exactly, if this engagement was slotted in at the last minute, which I'm not sure it was considering she's been involved with the mayhew for a while and her desire to become their patron was hardly sprung on them. Her first visit should have been for a longer period of time.

Agree.

What I said is fact. I just don’t make it a habit of focusing on how much time a member of the royal family spend at their engagements. I focus on what they did and people they met and the fact they showed up. You know, the real stuff. :flowers:

I get it, but it’s possible to focus on what they did and the people they met and still acknowledge that it would have been nice if she spent more time there.

A point I haven't seen brought up was coordination for today.
Meghan's engagement only started once Catherine finished at the Opera and the reporters had time to make it to Mayhew. She must have been very likely advised by KP not to leave before the RRs could head over. & she must have had a fix time when to leave from there as she had to get ready for today's evening gala.

Usually, it's not uncommon for royals to have engagements at the same time, but that would mean dividing RRs. I wonder whether today was an issue of coordinating Kate and Meg and leading the RRs to believe that they could be at both engagements.

Last edited:
Meghan's engagement only started once Catherine finished at the Opera and the reporters had time to make to Mayhew. She must have been very likely advised by KP not to leave before the RRs could head over. & she must have had a fix time when to leave as she had to get ready for today's evening gala.

Usually, it's not uncommon for royals to have engagements at the same time, but that would mean dividing RRs. I wonder whether today was an issue of coordinating Kate and Meg and leading the RRs to believe that they could be at both engagements.

This makes the most sense. I think KP did not want both Kate and Meghan carrying out different engagements simultaneously.

Typo..she was saying That.

LaRae

I don't want to speak for her but I'm fairly certain she actually did mean "phat" and that it wasn't a typo. Phat is a slang term and is complimentary if not a bit crude and it appears that this is the term the woman was using and the poster here was commenting on. I'm sure jacqui with correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, “that” wouldn’t make sense in the context it was said. The woman certainly meant fat, or phat. Still not sure which one.

Meghan's engagement only started once Catherine finished at the Opera and the reporters had time to make it to Mayhew. She must have been very likely advised by KP not to leave before the RRs could head over. & she must have had a fix time when to leave from there as she had to get ready for today's evening gala.

Back in November, Kate and Meghan had engagements on the same day and they were both able to carry out their visits, so I doubt today had anything to do with coordination.

Also, it would look pretty bad if a patronage was given a short visit, just because KP couldn’t get it together and coordinate engagements properly. If coordination is such an issue, they would have scheduled the engagements on separate days. But like I said, since they have already done engagements on the same day, I doubt that was the issue.

Last edited:
what is phat? what does that mean?

To answer this question: it means Pretty, Hot And Tempting. It's basically slang for saying a woman looks nice, but some see it as too vulgar. It really depends on the individual.

I don't think it was "Phat" either. I think she meant "Fat" as in she is big and healthy but she said it in a loving way as she gestured her baby bump. This is an elder. She not throwing slang around, IMO.

Yeah, “that” wouldn’t make sense in the context it was said. The woman certainly meant fat, or phat. Still not sure which one.

Back in November, Kate and Meghan had engagements on the same day and they were both able to carry out their visits, so I doubt today had anything to do with coordination.

Also, it would look pretty bad if a patronage was given a short visit, just because KP couldn’t get it together and coordinate engagements properly. If coordination is such an issue, they would have scheduled the engagements on separate days. But like I said, since they have already done engagements on the same day, I doubt that was the issue.

If I remember correctly, the November engagements were the same day but not at the same time. One was done before the other started.

I don't think it was "Phat" either. I think she meant "Fat" as in she is big and healthy but she said it in a loving way as she gestured her baby bump. This is an elder. She not throwing slang around, IMO.

I don't know what the context was, just answering the question as to what PHAT means.

For the record, I also thought she meant fat as in big and healthy, all good things when pregnant. But it could also be phat, I suppose. I simply wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure jacqui meant to type phat as opposed to that.

For the record, I also thought she meant fat as in big and healthy, all good things when pregnant. But it could also be phat, I suppose. I simply wanted to point out that I'm pretty sure jacqui meant to type phat as opposed to that.

You are correctly on what I was saying. :lol:

I feel this provides poor optics because m all of her other engagements so far have been over an hour long. So yes it provides bad optics when she stays there only a mere 35 min on her first official visit. It sends, in my opinion as someone who has been in the world of rescuing and fostering for over 15 years, a message that her patronage with them is not because she has a true interest in their cause. It has the feel of what I call a “vanilla patronage”- something light that would provide good PR for her (as animals charities usually do for royals - I mean who doesn’t like cute dogs and cats?) but which she has little to no real interest in.

This organization prides itself on major community involvement and education, there are so many activities that could have been done with the local community, maybe even with kids, while Meghan was there to showcase to the public their work and her involvement.
Because this is one of her first patronage, and there is of course the claims she’s been advocating animal welfare since she was young (though besides adopting Guy and Bogart I have not found any evidence to these claims - I’d love to be proven wrong) I would have expected a bit more.

To be honest i’m not too surprised, as I said only last week (and was told i’m wrong) that I do not think this is a good fit for her (at least not as one of the first patronage).

Again this is merely my personal opinion, I know it is likely not the popular opinion here, so I might avoid further comments - perhaps for now- since I worry I may say something that would upset anyone.
They've also had visits that shorter. I don't understand why this is a bad fit. She has always advocated for adoption. There are other pet shelter patronages among BRF, and it's only based on adoption. I'm not sure why it needs to be SO MUCH more with Meghan.

If you've done work in animal rescue, you should know that it's not always cute dogs and cats. Because a lot of times, they aren't always "cute" in the traditional sense. At least not by just looks. Puppies have a easier time getting adopted for the same reason. It's a struggle a lot of times to get people to adopt a grown dog than buying a puppy from the pet store for this very reason. Then you add the fact that some people might have specific breed preference and that's also a big disadvantage in pet adoption. So I'm not seeing how this is just good PR for her. If all she wanted is good PR, there are many other ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom