The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Great patronages! So happy we finally know what Meghan has been up to over the last year. These charities represent her interests well. And 2 from the Queen? Brava!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

I think these 4 patronages (plus the RF + Hubb Project) are a great balance. I was hoping she would announce a few more, but perhaps she will announce more over the next month or so. It makes sense that she wants to be focused on these 4 before her maternity leave before announcing more though as well.

I am very excited to see what programming she digs into with the NT. The Director discussed her value add in supporting diversity programming and community outreach in addition to the fundraising work in the UK/US.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Courtier

What a wonderful vote of confidence to be given two important patronages. I also love that she has visited these charities for about a year and let the press knew nothing about it.......
Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

Oh and all the hand wringing about her only picking international charities or whatever after the Rebecca English article last month, as usual, turned out to be much ado about nothing.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

This is a good balance of Meghan's interest to start her first patronages and charities to go along with the Royal Foundation.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Comments from CEO and co-founder of Smart Works.

Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
Follow Follow @RE_DailyMail
More
Kate Stephens, CEO of @SmartWorksHQ said afterwards: She’s a natural. She’s very empathetic, relates to our clients. She’s very relaxed and puts everyone at ease and offers great advice as well. She was very hands on in there. She helped with the dressing, the interview coaching.

Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
6m6 minutes ago
More
Co-founder Juliet Hughes-Hallett said: ‘She is really good at it. She instantly wanted to get stuck in.
‘When you see these women dressed well their shoulders go back, their confidence blooms and they think ‘this is possible. I can get this job’.

And a nice shout out to Prince's Trust:
Emily Andrews

Verified account

@byEmilyAndrews
Following Following @byEmilyAndrews
More
Video: #meghan helps Ruma Parvin, 29, with interview coaching alongside coach Marina Novis. Ruma was referred by the Prince’s Trust.

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...29217549484032
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Great to see her first patronages, lovely mix indeed

They really do show a mix of her interests. And great to see the queen hand over two patronages to her already. Yes she is handing over them for a few years but these are two big ones and she could have waited with Meghan.

The universities are a great combination with Harry and his youth ambassador role. It seems to lay the path for a more commonwealth role in the future.

Smart works is a fantastic cause, glad to see Meghan taking it on.

Love that she found an animal charity to take on. Something her and Camilla have in common
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=evolvingdoors;2187156]

The national theater I feel should have remained in the hands of a monarch or consort (or future one) as it is a major national organization, rather than be given to a minor royal.

[...]

I personally think they were all very smartly selected, all fitting Meghan very well.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Majesty

I have to say this was an underwhelming engagement. Meghan basically acted as a stylist, pulling out a few items for the women to wear, as if they couldn’t do that themselves.

Still it’s good she has four patronages.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I have to say this was an underwhelming engagement. Meghan basically acted as a stylist, pulling out a few items for the women to wear, as if they couldn’t do that themselves.

So you conveniently missed the entire coaching part.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Actually, that is a very real challenge for a lot of women. Whether they don't have the clothes or they don't understand how to dress for an interview or those simply don't have the confidence. I've never had an issue with it, but I do remember explaining what you should wear to job fairs and interviews being part of career counseling when I was in college. For the woman Meghan worked with specifically, she's been out of work place for 16 years. Part of doing well is dressing the part. Meghan also did do a coaching session today. And from the sound of things, it's not the first time either.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post

The national theater I feel should have remained in the hands of a monarch or consort (or future one) as it is a major national organization, rather than be given to a minor royal.

The commonwealth universities would have been a better fit for a royal who actually studied and graduated from a university in a commonwealth country.

Of course that’s just my personal opinion on the matter.
There are dozens of national charities. I guess you could argue that the future monarch should continue to have hundreds if charities but the are moving away from numbers. There are plenty of national charities held by more minor royals like Andrew. Do you protest them or just Meghan?

Meghan can't understand universities because she went to an American one? Oh I guess that means that she doesn't know the importance if education. Or the struggle to pay your way through. Certainly a royal who had their education paid for would understand that struggle more.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I rather enjoyed it. This is what they actually do whether one finds it underwhelming or not. They are women who likely can't afford (which is why they are there) and are seeking help making a specific look. Yes they can technically do it themselves but they want the physical and emotional support. She also spoke one on one with some of them and helped them build confidence to go out and interview. Another aspect of the program.

This was on a smaller scale for press but it seems she has been helping since last March. Good on her. If the women this organization helps are grateful and are able to advance their lives then that is all that matters. Glad she is part of it.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
So you conveniently missed the entire coaching part.

It should be noted that Meghan has visited the charity since March and has been involved in coaching as well as helping with styling and she also donated her own bags to the organization.

I love her 360 approach.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I rather enjoyed it. This is what they actually do whether one finds it underwhelming or not. They are women who likely can't afford (which is why they are there) and are seeking help making a specific look. Yes they can technically do it themselves but they want the physical and emotional support. She also spoke one on one with some of them and helped them build confidence to go out and interview. Another aspect of the program.

This was on a smaller scale for press but it seems she has been helping since last March. Good on her. If the women this organization helps are grateful and are able to advance their lives then that is all that matters. Glad she is part of it.
And looking at the numbers they've helped women find jobs is amazing. I personally know one woman, who got help from a similar organization. She had been a SAHM for 20 years, now kids are big, but she had lost all ambition, drive, and confidence in getting back to work. Through that organization she got into a course to brush up her prior skills from education, got the boost needed, and practical advice to interview well. And voila she got a good job she enjoys.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Another engagement announced.

Kensington Palace

Verified account

@KensingtonRoyal
Follow Follow @KensingtonRoyal
More
The Duchess of Sussex will visit @TheMayhew on Wednesday 16th January.

Her Royal Highness will meet staff, volunteers and beneficiaries, and hear more about the animal welfare charity’s various initiatives, from community engagement to international projects.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

There are dozens of national charities. I guess you could argue that the future monarch should continue to have hundreds if charities but the are moving away from numbers. There are plenty of national charities held by more minor royals like Andrew. Do you protest them or just Meghan?

Meghan can't understand universities because she went to an American one? Oh I guess that means that she doesn't know the importance if education. Or the struggle to pay your way through. Certainly a royal who had their education paid for would understand that struggle more.

The national theater is a major national organization, not some minor company. So yes I find it fitting that they would have a senior royal as patron.

I said nothing about not understanding or not knowing the importance of education.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Gentry

The way I see it, if someone (an individual or organization) is truly helping others, they shouldn't be criticized. I mean, criticize the way they do things, if it's warranted. But, not for the mere fact that they're helping. Even if the women can "do it themselves".

Even if the only thing they did was provide outfits for interviews, it would be a worthy endeavor. It's not like doing this will render them unable to help themselves or harm them. So it just seems wrong to be negative about it. I'm sure the women who have gotten jobs through their help don't feel "underwhelmed".

I mean, this organization is trying to help women and they (and Meghan) are getting criticized for it. Isn't it better to do that, instead of just saying "they can do it themselves"? Even if they can, isn't it better for experienced people to give them guidance?

Quote:
It should be noted that Meghan has visited the charity since March and has been involved in coaching as well as helping with styling and she also donated her own bags to the organization.

I wondered way back how she would handle things and whether she would feel stifled and bored. But, seeing her find a way to be hands on like this is really heartening.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

I think it's a bit odd to question how suitable or unsuitable these patronages are for Meghan, but re the National Theatre and ACU, The Queen herself chose Meghan to continue after herself, so that should end the discussion as who should be the patron of them. Jmho, of course.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Gentry

I like the familiar way Meghan and the first lady greeted each other. (I'm watching at work, so I don't have sound) I assume she's in charge or works there?