The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan was picked by Her Majesty the Queen to take on these patronages from her. They align with Meghan's personal and public advocacy and journey. I will trust the Queen's instincts in this instance.

Last edited:
Yes, I think she is, Dani.
I love the clip showing the round table discussion. Meghan is always so confident and articulate. She looks interested in what people have to say.

I like the familiar way Meghan and the first lady greeted each other. (I'm watching at work, so I don't have sound) I assume she's in charge or works there?

The lady in the flower print dress, who seemed even more familiar with Meghan, is the CEO. The lady in the coat is the co-founder of Smart Works.

I like the familiar way Meghan and the first lady greeted each other. (I'm watching at work, so I don't have sound) I assume she's in charge or works there?

The lady in the flower dress is Kate, the CEO of Smart Works. I haven't yet figured out who the lady in the trench is, but we can assume she works there since she and Meghan know each other and since she introduces the third woman. The third woman, in lilac sweater and black skirt, is Anita, a woman benefiting from Smart Works.

(And I, too, know the joys of sneakily watching things at work with no sound :lol: )

Having read about the charity this morning, I'm excited about Meghan's patronage of Mayhew. She's had 2 rescue dogs herself so we know animal welfare is a personal interest.

I've always had rescue dogs as there are always so many needing homes. So for me, it's great to see such a charity being supported by a high profile royal like the DoS & I hope they do very well out of it.

BTW, I'm happy that she has these as her patronages. I think in time, she will add more. I think starting small and increasing as her interests increase is a good thing and a great fit for her. It was lovely seeing her interact with the women today. From first hand experience, coaching for interviews is very important. There is only so much "googling" you can do to figure out what to wear, how to approach, body language and what to say in an interview. It's best to have someone help to walk you through it. It also helps to set up mock interviews.

All in all, I can't wait to follow along with the developments over the next few years.

Please note that several rather bickering posts have been deleted/edited as they are off-topic. This thread is not a platform to debate the seniority of members of the Royal Family or the Duchess of Sussex's education or any topic that serves only to derail the discussion.

Members are encouraged to respond in a respectful manner toward other members, especially when opinions differ.

Finally, please note that post containing links MUST be accompanied with an explanation or brief commentary on what the link is about - those that don't have and will be deleted.

I'm so happy for Meghan's new patronages. They seem great and they fit Meghan's interests. They were well chosen indeed. I'm so excited to hear more and see her visit these places.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've proof positive now that Meghan hasn't been idle up until now waiting and twiddling her thumbs waiting for patronages to be announced first. We, the public, are the last to be informed about things. What we do see and hear about with any royal's work is like the tip of an iceberg. The rest is hidden below the surface. :D

Meghan obviously has gained confidence that she can do the job if HM, The Queen deemed it a good move to trust some of her patronages to Meghan. In this regard, I'm leaning towards the opinion of the Queen. If anyone knows what's going on and who can or cannot do something, it would be her.

These Patronages are a good fit for the Duchess.

The way I see it, if someone (an individual or organization) is truly helping others, they shouldn't be criticized. I mean, criticize the way they do things, if it's warranted. But, not for the mere fact that they're helping. Even if the women can "do it themselves".

Even if the only thing they did was provide outfits for interviews, it would be a worthy endeavor. It's not like doing this will render them unable to help themselves or harm them. So it just seems wrong to be negative about it. I'm sure the women who have gotten jobs through their help don't feel "underwhelmed".

I mean, this organization is trying to help women and they (and Meghan) are getting criticized for it. Isn't it better to do that, instead of just saying "they can do it themselves"? Even if they can, isn't it better for experienced people to give them guidance? :bang:?

I wondered way back how she would handle things and whether she would feel stifled and bored. But, seeing her find a way to be hands on like this is really heartening. ?

Dani257, you've said it better than I would have. When someone/anybody is helping they should not be criticized for helping.

Last edited:
The way I see it, if someone (an individual or organization) is truly helping others, they shouldn't be criticized. I mean, criticize the way they do things, if it's warranted. But, not for the mere fact that they're helping. Even if the women can "do it themselves".

Even if the only thing they did was provide outfits for interviews, it would be a worthy endeavor. It's not like doing this will render them unable to help themselves or harm them. So it just seems wrong to be negative about it. I'm sure the women who have gotten jobs through their help don't feel "underwhelmed".

I mean, this organization is trying to help women and they (and Meghan) are getting criticized for it. Isn't it better to do that, instead of just saying "they can do it themselves"? Even if they can, isn't it better for experienced people to give them guidance? :bang:?

I wondered way back how she would handle things and whether she would feel stifled and bored. But, seeing her find a way to be hands on like this is really heartening. ?

I agree. I think the charity is a good fit for Meghan who has highlighted feminist issues before her marriage to Harry. Meghan seems to be suitable for all these charities and I'm glad they've been chosen for her. My mother has donated a number of her older designer pieces that she no longer fits in to to Smart Works and plans to donate some more pieces that she still has in her wardrobe as the wear at her office no longer requires smart designer clothes.

Last edited:
Nice to see she is getting to grips with some patronages and smart to have been visiting them so much before they were announced so she can really feel confident in talking about them.

I do worry about the optics of someone so renowned for wearing new and so expensive clothes (as all royal ladies do) being the face of a charity helping women who can't afford clothes for an interview. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I do feel it will create some comments in the media.

:previous: Agreed. Its a balance that Meghan will need to adjust to. When attending events such as this, she (or her assistant) will need to think...hmmm...what are the optics of me wearing expensive clothes to a charity where the average participant is struggling? It can be done...as you said...many royal ladies wear expensive clothes.

Of course in her pregnancy, it might just be whatever is comfortable...though if she can rock those shoes...she might be comfortable in anything.

But its nice to see her out and about and glad her visit was well received by the people of the organization.

Eh, the media is always going to find a reason to criticize Meghan. I don't think there's anything she can do to change that. If she swerves left, there will be people who want her to swerve right, and vice versa. As far as criticisms of her, the only thing she can do is do her best, and if she has the support of Harry and the royal family, and the approval of the queen, there's not much else that can be done.

As for the charity, I doubt any optics will make them suffer for having her as a patron. Unless human nature is even worse than I imagine, I don't think they'll lose support because they have her as a patron. So unless she's directly detrimental to them, I don't think optics should matter.

Private visits are almost never reported in the press. All royals do ‘behind the scenes’ research. Just yesterday, Camilla Tominey was talking about Kate making visits to patronages that aren’t reported. It’s pretty par for the course.

Meghan is following in the tried and true practices of royals who have come before her.

Right, all the royals get involved with the patronages they support and make every effort to be as hands-on as possible. Princess Anne is certainly a very hard-working role model, and so is Prince Charles. But Meghan too in such a short period of time has brought her own brand of hard work ethic, and she's been setting an impressive pace. Just as Kate brought a new and welcome presence and ambiance to the royals, Meghan is also bringing new and positive attention to this ancient family and institution. IMO, it's all good, despite the recent negativity in the tabloids.

It's always important how a person responds to outside pressures and stresses. As far as I can see Meghan is doing fine. She seems focused on what matters: her marriage, her pregnancy, the patronages she will be supporting, planning for her new home, and settling in/ fitting in with her new family. She's had an amazing year, and she's stood strong against the negative pressures.

... I was hoping she would announce a few more, but perhaps she will announce more over the next month or so...

I believe it was stated on KP Twitter and on Emily Andrews' Twitter that DoS Meghan would be announcing more patronages in the coming months.

Another engagement announced...
The Duchess of Sussex will visit @TheMayhew on Wednesday 16th January.

Her Royal Highness will meet staff, volunteers and beneficiaries, and hear more about the animal welfare charity’s various initiatives, from community engagement to international projects.

I'm so glad to see Meghan involved with this wonderful animal charity. I too love animals, and I feel a connection to her in that way.

I think it's a bit odd to question how suitable or unsuitable these patronages are for Meghan, but re the National Theatre and ACU, The Queen herself chose Meghan to continue after herself, so that should end the discussion as who should be the patron of them. Jmho, of course.

Indeed. I believe HM the Queen, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, among others, have gotten to know Meghan well by now, and thus have no qualms about her abilities. Meghan conducted herself beautifully and with flying colors during the South Pacific tour. And everyone can see how well Meghan has handled the negative press from all sides -- mostly by not engaging, and not allowing the noise to distract her from being focused.

And as you say, the Queen has spoken.

BTW, I'm happy that she has these as her patronages. I think in time, she will add more. I think starting small and increasing as her interests increase is a good thing and a great fit for her. It was lovely seeing her interact with the women today. From first hand experience, coaching for interviews is very important. There is only so much "googling" you can do to figure out what to wear, how to approach, body language and what to say in an interview. It's best to have someone help to walk you through it. It also helps to set up mock interviews.

I agree. I am familiar with similar groups in the U.S. There's an organization called Dress for Success that began in the U.S. many years ago. It is now operating worldwide: https://dressforsuccess.org/ As the Smart Works charity has pointed out, so many women who were unable to find work have been helped through counseling from Smart Works volunteers. The statistics are impressive and speak volumes.

As someone mentioned earlier, the guidance, coaching, stylist and wardrobe help fosters confidence and a feeling of well-being in these women. Some of the quotes by the women who were helped today also show the importance of the work this charity provides. Meghan was asked for specific advice, and her words of inspiration were posted on Twitter by one of the royal journalists.

:previous: Agreed. Its a balance that Meghan will need to adjust to. When attending events such as this, she (or her assistant) will need to think...hmmm...what are the optics of me wearing expensive clothes to a charity where the average participant is struggling? It can be done...as you said...many royal ladies wear expensive clothes.

Okay, I can understand this. I thought it was that she shouldn't be a patron at all. Sure, she should think about what she wears when she goes there. But, more for how it might effect the actual women there.

Okay, I can understand this. I thought it was that she shouldn't be a patron at all. Sure, she should think about what she wears when she goes there. But, more for how it might effect the actual women there.

I don’t think I understand-patrons generally are wealthy. There wouldn’t be any point in having a patron who is a store clerk.

Nice to see she is getting to grips with some patronages and smart to have been visiting them so much before they were announced so she can really feel confident in talking about them.

I do worry about the optics of someone so renowned for wearing new and so expensive clothes (as all royal ladies do) being the face of a charity helping women who can't afford clothes for an interview. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I do feel it will create some comments in the media.

How would you suggest such avoidance? The rich royals not representing poor charities? William lives in a castle, is it bad optics he visits the homeless?

I have to say this was an underwhelming engagement. Meghan basically acted as a stylist, pulling out a few items for the women to wear, as if they couldn’t do that themselves.

Still it’s good she has four patronages.

A lot of women can't.

In undermining the visit you are doing it to the charity. Many women don't know how to dress themselves for interviews. Even those with the money to buy clothes. Many of us rely on friends. These are women who lack self confidence, who have been out of work and possibly vulnerable situations. They need the boost of a makeover and coaching for confidence. This charity had helped thousands of women find work, by doing exactly what Meghan did. Sometimes a new outfit and a bit of coaching means a huge difference in the confidence to go into an interview.

Last edited:
How would you suggest such avoidance? The rich royals not representing poor charities? William lives in a castle, is it bad optics he visits the homeless?

A lot of women can't.

In undermining the visit you are doing it to the charity. Many women don't know how to dress themselves for interviews. Even those with the money to buy clothes. Many of us rely on friends. These are women who lack self confidence, who have been out of work and possibly vulnerable situations. They need the boost of a makeover and coaching for confidence. This charity had helped thousands of women find work, by doing exactly what Meghan did. Sometimes a new outfit and a bit of coaching means a huge difference in the confidence to go into an interview.
I completely agree with you ! The comparison of William and the homeless is very right !

Meghan would be dragged by the tabloids for something regardless. Had she reused her pre-royal clothes, the press would've ignored it anyway. This woman got dragged for touching her own baby bump.

These people know Meghan is a filthy rich royal and can afford clothes they never can. Meghan wearing H&M for this engagement isn't going to change that. And to me it would appear fake, wearing cheaper clothes than usually just for a charity visit. I'm sure the ladies Meghan met didn't put one thought on the price tag of Meghan's clothes. That's my take on this.

These people know Meghan is a filthy rich royal and can afford clothes they never can. Meghan wearing H&M for this engagement isn't going to change that. And to me it would appear fake, wearing cheaper clothes than usually just for a charity visit. I'm sure the ladies Meghan met didn't put one thought on the price tag of Meghan's clothes. That's my take on this.

I agree with this. They all knew who she is and that money for clothing is not an issue for her. If the royals have to wear cheaper clothes to be fitting for the engagement, things would have to change completely in the entire royal wardrobe landscape for everyone.

:previous: Good point!!

Frankly, its not about the cost of the clothes that is drawing these women together. Its how to make outfits that are put together to state "Here I am and ready to take on the world". The price tag on an item doesn't always say this.

Its about looking like a million bucks and feeling like a million bucks when you step out the door. Its also about having other people that may potentially hire you think you look like a million bucks too. Confidence in knowing the message your clothing and body language are presenting makes a world of difference.

Frankly, its not about the cost of the clothes that is drawing these women together. Its how to make outfits that are put together to state "Here I am and ready to take on the world". The price tag on an item doesn't always say this.

Its about looking like a million bucks and feeling like a million bucks when you step out the door. Its also about having other people that may potentially hire you think you look like a million bucks too. Confidence in knowing the message your clothing and body language are presenting makes a world of difference.

You hit the point right on the head.

I understand the concept of people needing help dressing up for an interview, or for work.
I grew up in a country where we wore school uniforms, up through high school.
In college (a small Catholic College run by Nuns) apart from the usually college curriculum, we had on-going instructions on how to dress, walk, talk, sit, eat, etc. Every weekday we were required to practice by dressing up for classes as though we were going to the office. Most of us didn’t have enough dresses to wear for a whole week, so we were taught how to mix/match, switch skirts & blouses to give an impression of a different outfit, so not to look like you’re wearing the same dress two days in a row. Yeah! I still use some of the tips I learned from the Nuns in college.

I have to say this was an underwhelming engagement. Meghan basically acted as a stylist, pulling out a few items for the women to wear, as if they couldn’t do that themselves.

Still it’s good she has four patronages.
I have to admit I initially thought your post was very dismissive and then I thought, no, maybe just a man who doesn't understand that not every woman is gifted with the talent to pick out a perfect ensemble.

After 20 years in the military, I have to admit the idea of putting together a civilian wardrobe was daunting and the experience even worse. My niece pulls a hanger off the rack that, to me, looks awful but, when I try it on it both fits and works. Needless to say, I rarely shop for clothes alone . . . except of course for shoes, as they are of course works of art.

After a long time off the job market, especially if you have been ill, confidence can be seen as an almost insurmountable wall to scale. Anyone that can sit you down and teach you how to "interview" for a job with a degree of self-confidence and not cost you money you don't have, is a gift beyond measure.

I’m kind of surprised at the lack of coverage Meghan’s charities announcement received considering how much hype was associated with it.

At least one reporter commented there was nothing groundbreaking about the charities.

There was a blurb on the front page of the telegraph but that was it.

The Sun, DM, Express, Mirror, The Times, Daily Star and Metro didn’t even mentioned it on their front pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom