The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I read something similar. Basically stating that for now she is their patron but indicating that patience was running short and that she would need to prove that she both wanted to and could remain active and involved in order for the arrangement to continue to work. I think what I read said that if by Easter the administrators of the NT felt that they were getting short shrift then they would seek to change the arrangement. Again, though, it appears that this wasn't any official statement but rather someone from the NT providing his thoughts and opinions on the situation.

yes I realise that it was not an official announcement.. but all the same, I am not so sure that someone living mainly abroad is going to be welcome as a patron for a charity/organisation in a far off country. Even if they are not expected to make frequent visits...

yes I realise that it was not an official announcement.. but all the same, I am not so sure that someone living mainly abroad is going to be welcome as a patron for a charity/organisation in a far off country. Even if they are not expected to make frequent visits...

I don't disagree. Frankly I'd be floored if this patronage or some of the others were continued through the rest of this year, let alone following the 12 month review. That said, I was just pointing out that it wasn't actually an official statement by someone authorized to speak on behalf of the NT but rather the thoughts of someone within the NT.

Far off country? This isnt a hundred years ago when it would have taken months to travel back and forth. Royals have managed to represent organizations in other countries easily enough for years.

The reality is that royals only visit their patronages a few times a year for events often enough. There is no problem with Meghan doing so when she is in the country.

Love how when the Director of the National theater makes a statement that Meghan will continue people's response 'well its not an official statement from the palace so who knows'. But when some random west end producer not involved in the theatre and its running says 'she has to step up or she is out' the response is 'Well there it is, proof she is going to get kicked out.

The theatre has said that Meghan will continue with their patronage. How about we try believing the official statements that have been released, until they are proven false.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that there was a story that someone in the NT had said that she was tehir patron but that she would have to "prove herself"..

No that wasn't anyone with the National Theatre.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11017861/meghan-markle-easter-deadline-royal-patron-national-theatre/

Frankly she has a right to her opinion but what she thinks really means nothing as long as the director and all those involved with the National Theatre are fine with the arrangement. What she thinks means as about as much as I think.

And again Rufus has went on record with his opinion and that is the one that matters.

I think what it will boil down to will be the decisions of the patronages and the charities and incentives themselves. We saw this after Andrew's disastrous interview that it was the organizations themselves that removed and distanced themselves from Andrew. Perhaps the same will happen with any of the Sussex patronages? I don't know. Depends on if they want Meghan, herself, or that it was Meghan being royal that was the draw in the first place.

Time will tell the stories.

The discussion about Meghan and the National Theatre is going around in circles. Let’s move on from the topic, please.

Don't know whether this should go in this thread, but there is a new collaboration between Smart Works and the shirt designers who helped with Meghan's fashion capsule collection for Smart Works last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...announces-new-partnership-clothing-brand.html

Clothing brand loved by Meghan Markle announces collaboration with her patronage Smart Works and will mirror the royal's first fashion collection by donating a shirt to the charity for every item sold
Meghan Markle, 38, is patron of Smart Works and has often worm WBU shirts
Shirt brand announced collaboration with charity for International Women's Day
Revealed for every shirt bought, a second shirt would be donated to Smartworks
Project is almost identical to the Duchess' Smart Set collection in September
By HARRIET JOHNSTON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 04:05 AEDT, 3 March 2020 | UPDATED: 08:31 AEDT, 3 March 2020

Last edited:
That’s fantastic for Smartworks, their initiative deserves all the support people can offer.

Don't know whether this should go in this thread, but there is a new collaboration between Smart Works and the shirt designers who helped with Meghan's fashion capsule collection for Smart Works last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...announces-new-partnership-clothing-brand.html

Clothing brand loved by Meghan Markle announces collaboration with her patronage Smart Works and will mirror the royal's first fashion collection by donating a shirt to the charity for every item sold
Meghan Markle, 38, is patron of Smart Works and has often worm WBU shirts
Shirt brand announced collaboration with charity for International Women's Day
Revealed for every shirt bought, a second shirt would be donated to Smartworks
Project is almost identical to the Duchess' Smart Set collection in September
By HARRIET JOHNSTON FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 04:05 AEDT, 3 March 2020 | UPDATED: 08:31 AEDT, 3 March 2020

The ripple effect that Meghan spoke about last year. Love to see it in action!

Comments about the media and Meghan and Harry's decision to leave the BRF have been deleted. Let’s stick to discussing Meghan’s charities.

I think they are doing a very professional job at the moment so well done them.

Yes they are being thoroughly professional and I'm enjoying seeing them both. I'm also looking forward to seeing whatever project Meghan has planned with the National Theatre.

It is hard to take that story seriously when the Cambridges posted a picture of them on their IG while Harry, Anne, Sophie, and Charles all had engagements that were promoted all over their social media accounts. Harry's was very widely known to be happening.

So all that was fine but Meghan visiting her patronages and highlighting an exhibit that is closing this weekend has the palace upset? The same palace that was posting about the Endeavour Fund the same time the royal rota was tweeting about Camilla?

I know the papers love to clickbait and make up silly stories but this one is a doozy.

It is hard to take that story seriously when the Cambridges posted a picture of them on their IG while Harry, Anne, Sophie, and Charles all had engagements that were promoted all over their social media accounts. Harry's was very widely known to be happening.

So all that was fine but Meghan visiting her patronages and highlighting an exhibit that is closing this weekend has the palace upset? The same palace that was posting about the Endeavour Fund the same time the royal rota was tweeting about Camilla?

I know the papers love to clickbait and make up silly stories but this one is a doozy.

It is a doozy, not to mention childish, but a lot of people (incl here) will still fall for it.

And the students were obviously delighted to meet Meghan. Everyone had a ball. A joy to see.

They really did say “goodbye” to all their patronages. No surprise that Omid was invited, it’s quite clear that in the U.K. at least they’re shaping their own press voice, and to me, it hasn’t gone down well.

I believe this is Meghan’s first visit/meeting, in public, with the ACU is that right?

Three reporters were invited to cover the event: Omid Scobie (ABC/ Harper's Bazaar), Byrony Gordon (The Telegraph), and Victoria Murphy (Daily Mirror).

Omid's article:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a31405025/meghan-markle-transition-out-of-royal-life/

Excerpts of what Gordon and Murphy wrote for their publications can be found on this website (scroll down):
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lE0hvUYw...5fzhDTHMx9H6xsyMdYACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/mzs11.jpg

Three reporters were invited to cover the event: Omid Scobie (ABC/ Harper's Bazaar), Byrony Gordon (The Telegraph), and Victoria Murphy (Daily Mirror).

Omid's article:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a31405025/meghan-markle-transition-out-of-royal-life/

Excerpts of what Gordon and Murphy wrote for their publications can be found on this website (scroll down):
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lE0hvUYw...5fzhDTHMx9H6xsyMdYACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/mzs11.jpg

Reading these articles, broke my heart a little bit...it also makes me a little angry. For some reason so many people didn't see Meghan has a human being with feelings (not a character in a movie) who had lies, daggers and cruelty thrown at her for no reason. Was she perfect? No, but again she was human and no human is.

Meghan, with the exception of one time, put on a brave face and forged forward, working hard to try and help those that needed it. And it showed through the interactions with the people involved in the patronages and charities that she worked with, they all seemed so happy and engaged with her.

I'm glad that Omid and Byrony were able to bring the human aspect back into story. I really hope that the Sussexes and their little boy are able to find some peace and happiness and are able to be successful in their mission to be global humanitarians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom