The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The man appears to be a full blown narcissist. Period. They can’t be fixed, and no relationship with them can be anything but toxic.

If you want to help shut the Markles up don’t click on any news stories about them.

If you want to help shut the Markles up don’t click on any news stories about them.

I don't, i can read it all here for no click bites whatsover! But I am totally in the camp that they should all be quiet from now on, especially the father who's only got himself to blame; he could have been a guest, in the wedding photos, he'd been invited. It's all sour grapes and it's all of his own making.

The man appears to be a full blown narcissist. Period. They can’t be fixed, and no relationship with them can be anything but toxic.

That’s been my approach lately. It’s remarkably liberating.
I read an article about twitter shutting some guy’s account down. Sam seems to resort to tweeting inflammatory things when her press exposure wanes - I wonder what it would take for her account to be shut down:evil:

I would call my father up, tell him to get his behind over to the UK and have a good talk with him. Doing things over the phone limits impact. I’d be sweet and kind and even make him a cup of tea. If he maintains stubbornness and get out of hand, I’ll tell him where to pick it up and where to lay it down. Dad would be shown the door and I’ll carry on like he never existed.

Somebody have to make a move to help end this. There’s plenty of blame to go around for this debacle.

This is an utterly ridiculous plan, given the situation. It’s appeasing an emotional abuser, it’s playing into his game, it’s adding fuel to the fire, it’s ignoring that they’re long past the point of a face-to-face convo being advantageous...

Even aside from all that, just think about the bottom-line logistics of Meghan’s life now and what her father’s favorite points of complaint are. For them to get together, at the very least he’d have to deal with her security officers that would need to take control of making sure the meeting place is safe for her; if he went to the UK he’d find himself surrounded by the wealth he’s so jealous of. In either case, before either opened their mouth to say hello he’d be handed ammunition to go off the rails complaining about her not writing him a blank check, or her being high on her own sense of self importance...he can’t be trusted to have a calm conversation in that context right now.

Really, that’s the bottom line: to engage in the kind of meeting you describe requires a certain degree of trust. He has shown the world he’s not worthy of that trust. It doesn’t matter that he’s her father. It simply does not matter once you cross a certain line with your behavior.

There’s truly nothing Meghan can do to engage that doesn’t make things worse. The idea that she can stop him is a pipe dream. He’s too far gone for that.

That’s been my approach lately. It’s remarkably liberating.
I read an article about twitter shutting some guy’s account down. Sam seems to resort to tweeting inflammatory things when her press exposure wanes - I wonder what it would take for her account to be shut down:evil:

I think Twitter can't shut Samantha's account down because it's a private account.

I don't understand why people are believing the tabloid stories. :huh: I find it disquieting the level to which Mr Markle is being trashed here as a result of tabloid stories. The tabloids must be doing a jig. JMO.

I would call my father up, tell him to get his behind over to the UK and have a good talk with him. Doing things over the phone limits impact. I’d be sweet and kind and even make him a cup of tea. If he maintains stubbornness and get out of hand, I’ll tell him where to pick it up and where to lay it down. Dad would be shown the door and I’ll carry on like he never existed.

Somebody have to make a move to help end this. There’s plenty of blame to go around for this debacle.

And if Mr Markle decides, that he doesn't want to get his behind to UK. He records this phone call and sells it to the highest bidder. Or if he gets his behind to UK, but comes with his own list of demands? And if you don't comply, he sells this meeting to the tabloids, and adds a few more made up, more dramatic, details. You, with meeting him, gave him credibility, and you will be called the bully.

Mr Markle has decided he's the victim. Nothing anyone says is going to change that. An alleged call from palace aide to help graft an apology was an insult to him. Doesn't matter if this call happened or not, it just shows how Mr Markle makes himself a victim of every situation.

TM is an adult man with a very unhealthy sized ego, he's extremely self centred, jealous, manipulative, and entitled. Trying to make demands on him against his own wishes simply won't work. Telling him how things will happen won't work. Only way to maybe quiet him down for a minute would be to give into his demands, and those demand would be too ridiculous to fulfil.

ETA: The tabloid stories Mr Markle has been trashed for are his actual interviews.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are believing the tabloid stories. :huh: I find it disquieting the level to which Mr Markle is being trashed here as a result of tabloid stories. The tabloids must be doing a jig. JMO.

Tom Markle Sr is cooperating with the tabloids, being interviewed and in several cases being interviewed on camera. There is nothing ambiguous about that. That is why he is being “trashed.” He has said some things that are not very nice.

Last edited:
I think you're right there, AlowVera. This is just my impression but from following Meghan since the news she was dating Harry broke, I didn't see anything in her lifestyle that pointed to living the life of "the rich and famous".

She seemed to live moderately in Toronto and it never was the case that she was reported to spend excesses of money on the "good life". This leads me to believe that she's invested her money wisely and has lucrative investments that are conductive for "rainy days". This is all part and parcel of having a good work ethic.

It also points to a person that is comfortable in their own skin where the glitz and the glamor aren't goals. She has stated quite a few times that her acting career was one that gave her the opportunity to do her humanitarian work.

So to be honestly truthful here, I think the draw for her towards Harry was not the tiaras and the palaces and the wealth of the BRF but the wonderful platform being married to Harry would provide as far as making a difference in our world. Of course, the *main* reason was she fell in love with Harry and Harry fell in love with her but I do think she saw different "perks" than what a lot of people have insinuated. :D

Not at all...very little by TV standards.

LaRae

I think you're right there, AlowVera. This is just my impression but from following Meghan since the news she was dating Harry broke, I didn't see anything in her lifestyle that pointed to living the life of "the rich and famous".

She seemed to live moderately in Toronto and it never was the case that she was reported to spend excesses of money on the "good life". This leads me to believe that she's invested her money wisely and has lucrative investments that are conductive for "rainy days". This is all part and parcel of having a good work ethic.

It also points to a person that is comfortable in their own skin where the glitz and the glamor aren't goals. She has stated quite a few times that her acting career was one that gave her the opportunity to do her humanitarian work.

So to be honestly truthful here, I think the draw for her towards Harry was not the tiaras and the palaces and the wealth of the BRF but the wonderful platform being married to Harry would provide as far as making a difference in our world. Of course, the *main* reason was she fell in love with Harry and Harry fell in love with her but I do think she saw different "perks" than what a lot of people have insinuated. :D

To me the BRF doesn't seem to live that opulently when you consider their wealth and how other wealthy people live.

I do think what attracted her to Harry was their very common interests and goals. Having the physical attraction too is just icing on the cake.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all...very little by TV standards. LaRae

That's £37,000 per episode (or close to $50,000 US dollars per episode) for her role as Rachel Zane in Suits. This means she earned £333,000 per year (or approaching $450,000 US Dollars). That's close to one half million a year. :huh: I'm impressed! Given Meghan's status as an 'unknown' that is fabulous money! [However, by my tally she was making far more than that for Suits, well over half a million per annum, and add to that her side gigs promoting fashion lines, etc, she could easily have been clearing $1 million a year imo, making the $5 million net worth conservative. JMO]

I think people are gauging money by celebrity status which really ratchets up the numbers, especially in a wildly popular show. Suits was a very respectable show (7 seasons is a successful show) and I would assume what Meghan was paid steadily increased as the show wore on and her character became integral to the show. We don't know when she was making the sum indicated (or if it's even the true amount). Personally, I would be more than pleased to be making that sum of money, at her stage in her career, as it then was. Just saying. :flowers:

I, too, have to laugh when I see people stating that the BRF live opulently and have all these amazing "perks". I just have to recall the story when Charles was little, he came back to the house and had lost a dog lead. HM sent him back out there to find it as "dog leads costs money". HM does seem to live frugally and as simple as possible on her own time. Tupperware holding cereals and BBQs out of doors at Balmoral etc.

Harry was raised partly by Charles and although Charles has been cited for excesses, I believe its due to going for quality that lasts. The man has shoes over 40 years old. He's also a very astute businessman and makes wise investments not only for himself but for his duchy and his charities such as the Prince's Trust.

This "frugality" of living, to me was reflected in Harry and Meghan's courtship. They preferred staying in and cooking their own meals and walking the grounds of Windsor Castle. Simple things. Normal things. Not exactly the life of "the rich and famous" where bigger and sparkle is better. They could afford the best there is but that's not their goals at all.

To me the BRF doesn't seem to live that opulently when you consider their wealth and how other wealthy people live.

Was just listening to an interview where someone who apparently would know made mention of how very modest the royals live. 'Even shabby' was a phrase used to describe the impression given in some sections of private royal residences. :cool:

I do think what attracted her to Harry was their very common interests and goals. Having the physical attraction too is just icing on the cake. LaRae

He loves her and that makes all the difference for her I would think (plus as you say she fell for him, too). I doubt she would have budged had he not proven himself to her. Not worth the sacrifices she has made otherwise. :flowers: JMO.

Last edited:
That's £37,000 per episode (or close to $50,000 US dollars per episode) for her role as Rachel Zane in Suits. This means she earned £333,000 per year (or approaching $450,000 US Dollars). That's close to one half million a year. :huh: I'm impressed! Given Meghan's status as an 'unknown' that is fabulous money! [However, by my tally she was making far more than that for Suits, well over half a million per annum, and add to that her side gigs promoting fashion lines, etc, she could easily have been clearing $1 million a year imo, making the $5 million net worth conservative. JMO]

I think people are gauging money by celebrity status which really ratchets up the numbers, especially in a wildly popular show. Suits was a very respectable show (7 seasons is a successful show) and I would assume what Meghan was paid steadily increased as the show wore on and her character became integral to the show. We don't know when she was making the sum indicated (or if it's even the true amount). Personally, I would be more than pleased to be making that sum of money, at her stage in her career, as it then was. Just saying. :flowers:

Again I said by TV standards it is very little money. You have some TV actors making 1 million per episode. I wasn't comparing her income to the average person.

LaRae

That of course is before taxes. The US and Canada have tax agreements but not sure how it works.

I'm putting on my skeptical hat. She was on a cable TV show that was never big and she was in her mid 30s. Not 'old' by normal standards, but by Hollywood. She never really had a big breakout role. I'd never heard of "Suits" or her until she dated Harry. She knew her acting years were slowing down ("Suits" had been on 7 seasons and the storylines are repetitive). She really didn't sacrifice her career. She wasn't the multi-millionaire the press tried to make her out to be.

Don't flame me, but the charity and humanitarian stuff seemed to be PR. It struck me as she was almost trying to campaign to be in the royal family. Of course, KP isn't good with PR either.

Last edited:
I mean that is your opinion but she was volunteering and doing that work long before Harry was in her life.

It ramped up significantly when they started dating.

PS: I don't dislike Meghan, but I have a healthy dose of skepticism.

Last edited:
You don't have to like or dislike her. It just not into downplaying stuff she did because people are convinced she spent her life trying to bag a prince. She was involved in a lot of charity work for years. It had nothing to do with Harry. Her volunteering at the food banks and organizing the left over craft services from her set to be sent to shelters wasn't some grand scheme to grab the attention of the royal family 4 years before she met Harry.

Also I don't think anyone is claiming she was some A list actress but she was on a hit and long running show. A show that is still airing and likely she would still be on. Actors evolve. She clearly was pursuing other avenues. Who knows what her next plan would have been. She was very, very close to with the head of NBC Universal. She knew a lot of producers and directors. That comes in handy when looking for work. It wouldn't have been unrealistic for her to land another show. Example: Her good friend Abigail went from Suits to Timeless and just announced a new show. It is about who you know.

So yes her walking away from something she worked a long time to get is hard. I don't think she has regrets because she has gained a lot but Meghan also sacrificed plenty.

Last edited:
The woman has been striving to make a change in this world since she was a kid. She worked very hard to make her dreams come true to become an actress and landed a big role on a successful tv show for 7 seasons. That’s quite the accomplishment in her own right.

Its always good to have a healthy dose of skepticism on hand to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to what we read about anyone in the media,

I have to disagree with you that her charitable work ramped up after she met Harry. If anything, the relationship was kept at an under the radar level so much that if anything, Meghan cut down on things that would have called for public appearances, activism in any shape or form, deleted her social media and her blog "The Tig" and lucrative sidelines such as her association with Reitman's clothing. She basically went into hiding so to speak.

I'm putting on my skeptical hat. She was on a cable TV show that was never big and she was in her mid 30s. Not 'old' by normal standards, but by Hollywood. She never really had a big breakout role. I'd never heard of "Suits" or her until she dated Harry. She knew her acting years were slowing down ("Suits" had been on 7 seasons and the storylines are repetitive). She really didn't sacrifice her career. She wasn't the multi-millionaire the press tried to make her out to be.

Don't flame me, but the charity and humanitarian stuff seemed to be PR. It struck me as she was almost trying to campaign to be in the royal family. Of course, KP isn't good with PR either.

Meghan had other non-acting opportunities she was involved in before she met Harry. Her life style blog and her contract with Reitmans both made her money.

Even the DM gives credit to her for her charity/humanitarian work BH (before Harry).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6043141/Resurfaced-video-shows-Meghan-Women-campaign.html

"Meghan has worked with UN Women since 2014 as an 'Advocate for Political Participation and Leadership'"

Meghan Markle | Ambassador | World Vision Artist Collective

"Lifestyle expert and actress Meghan Markle became a World Vision Global Ambassador after travelling to Rwanda with World Vision in February 2016."

Last edited:
My main skepticism comes from it seemed she she tried to do a PR push... a PR campaign. I'm obviously outnumbered here. I'll submit to you all.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that it was *because* of Meghan's basically going into hiding to keep her relationship at the time with Harry in an under the radar manner that propelled the media to do a whole lot of digging to find out just who Meghan Markle was because there was a gigantic interest in her.

The more the media dug, the more they found out that this woman was one of many accomplishments and had quite a bit of humanitarian endeavors behind her *before* she ever laid eyes on Harry.

The media found a wealth of information about this woman and there has yet to be any skeletons found in her proverbial closet that caused a really negative narrative. Of course, there were aspects of Meghan that the media could create mountains out of molehills with and they sure did but nothing was really ever found that put black marks against her character.

I'll say it again. Harry grabbed the brass ring on the marriage-go-round ride. :D

My main skepticism comes from it seemed she she tried to do a PR push... a PR campaign. I'm obviously outnumbered here. I'll submit to you all.

No need for that. You have a right to your opinion. If you feel her charity/humanitarian work was just all PR, that is fine. I clearly disagree but we can have that discussion. I just curious to why you feel like the stuff she did years before Harry was on her radar was for solely for PR and not genuine. And also do you feel that about all the royal work? It is just for show and not cause they actually care. Because that is a real critique many people have about their patronages.

Last edited:

When do you think she did a PR campaign? What actions do you see that way?

As Osipi said, once she and Harry got serious, Meghan shut down social media and any gigs outside of Suits. She didn't seem to be out there promoting much of anything, IMO.

I, too, have to laugh when I see people stating that the BRF live opulently and have all these amazing "perks". I just have to recall the story when Charles was little, he came back to the house and had lost a dog lead. HM sent him back out there to find it as "dog leads costs money". HM does seem to live frugally and as simple as possible on her own time. Tupperware holding cereals and BBQs out of doors at Balmoral etc.

Harry was raised partly by Charles and although Charles has been cited for excesses, I believe its due to going for quality that lasts. The man has shoes over 40 years old. He's also a very astute businessman and makes wise investments not only for himself but for his duchy and his charities such as the Prince's Trust.

This "frugality" of living, to me was reflected in Harry and Meghan's courtship. They preferred staying in and cooking their own meals and walking the grounds of Windsor Castle. Simple things. Normal things. Not exactly the life of "the rich and famous" where bigger and sparkle is better. They could afford the best there is but that's not their goals at all.

Harry has shoes with holes in them. The Royal family has massive wealth but they do come from a culture in which excessive flaunting of wealth is frowned upon especially by Hollywood standards.

I thought that clickbait article was a false narrative because it made Meghan's Suits money seem glamorous when in terms of TV shows it is still the lower rung but then again she was not the lead actor. Being on a TV show makes one well off but the business is so unstable you have to make your money last. Also you have to pay for a manager, stylist etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom