The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt the tabloids would have picked up the cost of the plane tickets and hotel accomodations in exchange for an exclusive interview reporting on the wedding.

Exactly.

I find it so disgusting, how TM has been trying to manipulate his own daughter about everything. The wedding, trying to get her to invite the markles, and Samantha. He's trying to erase Meghan's own wants and needs to favour what he wants. And in things that have absolutely nothing to do with him.

The media is upset that Meghan is not caving to the Markles and they are trying to turn public opinion against her and the royal family. The press has invested too much money on their would be informants Sr, Jr and Sam through the interviews.

So Sr wanted input on the wedding, trying to force the siblings on the guest list? After the public attacks prior to the wedding I can see the queen saying no to that. Sr is obsessed with Harry and Meghan's children because they will be heirs to the British throne. His five other grandchildren are "commoners" and it has to hurt them, maybe not the Dooleys, to hear that. The Markles that are not vicious must be humiliated by their outbursts.

Which does beg the question, how come Meghan’s maternal family who haven’t met Harry and weren’t at the wedding don’t feel as entitled or the need to behave like a pack of dysfunctional wild hyenas...clinging onto Meghan’s coattails? I mean from the outset the tabloid writers had already written off Meghan’s mum and her side. They were unfairly labelled and cast as the ones to watch out for. And yet it’s turned out not to be the case.

Even the loathsome Thomas Markle acknowledges that his own family is “dysfunctional”... Imagine that!

A pity he lacks the self-awareness or just simply refuses to see that his own abusive behaviour towards Meghan is beyond the pale.

At this point Tom Markle Sr is just making things up after the fact. I don’t believe he thought most of this 2 months ago. He is feeling sorry for himself and enjoying the attention. I think listening to his eldest daughter and the writers from the tabloids has helped him create all his woe is me fiction.

I hope Thomas Markle stop talking , I think he has made his point. He is really not saying anything unkind about Meghan he is mostly slamming Harry. Harry to me was just protecting his then fiancée based on what she told him.To me he seems more hurt because of the way he perceived he was treated. I don’t know it its right or wrong but that’s the way he feels.
There are several things I take away from this. The mistake of not meeting him and getting to know him before the wedding is troubling to me. Her mother was only there for three days. The only family member at her wedding was her mom , that is so shocking. This was a royal wedding , this is no ordinary wedding , yet no family member ,with the exception of her mother was invited. I just can’t wrap my head around that.
Meghan used to constantly praise her father. She has no family member in a new environment. I know some of you will say , the royal family is her family now . It’s just not the same. If something goes wrong between Harry and Meghan ( I hope nothing does) who do you think they will side with?
This is an embarrassment for everyone , Meghan needs to find some way to fix this with her father. I know that’s not a popular opinion but that’s the only way to fix this. Harry and Meghan are really just now getting to know each other , because their courtship was long distance and they need the peace to do that and not be distracted by this. Thomas was wrong to stage those photos and he has handled this entire thing in an awful way. I just feel is intent is not malicious, he feels slighted and hurt.

So Meghan should just suck up the abuse tossed at her by her father? Pass. Meghan doesn’t need to do anything that will mentally harm herself. You say it will fix it. Fix what? You don’t know these people or their true relationship. Meghan choosing to praise a father from yesteryear doesn’t mean that the current version isn’t a vile human not worth her time.

People paint images for the public. Doesn’t mean it’s the reality. We have seen this truth more than we like to admit. So remember that Meghan has publicly withdrawn from her father despite the press attacking her. It’s clearly for a reason. Also can we even find recent pictures of Meghan and Thomas like we can of Meghan with Doria. The last image of them was well over a decade ago. She didn’t introduce Harry for a reason.

Again. The clues are there.

The media is upset that Meghan is not caving to the Markles and they are trying to turn public opinion against her and the royal family. The press has invested too much money on their would be informants Sr, Jr and Sam through the interviews.

So Sr wanted input on the wedding, trying to force the siblings on the guest list? After the public attacks prior to the wedding I can see the queen saying no to that. Sr is obsessed with Harry and Meghan's children because they will be heirs to the British throne. His five other grandchildren are "commoners" and it has to hurt them, maybe not the Dooleys, to hear that. The Markles that are not vicious must be humiliated by their outbursts.

Harry and Meghan's children will be commoners, too. In Britain, anyone who is not the monarch or a peer (a Lord with his own title, not a courtesy one) is a commoner. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are commoners as is Princess Anne. James Viscount Severn is a commoner, as only his father is a peer, he as his father's heir has only a courtesy title. At the moment, only the members of the Royal family who are male and married and thus have been granted a peerage are not commoners. Their wifes are "peeresses" as they share their husband's rank, bit they are still commoners. Only Diana's father, once he was Earl Spencer, was not a commoner, all other members of his family were commoners. Prince Harry till he became The Duke of Sussex was a commoner.

It's different in other countries, but as we are talking Britain here, it should be pointed out that most people, even most members of the Royal family, are commoners. It's nothing to look down at.

I don't know much, but what I do know, that anyone saying 'You'd be nothing without me, I made who you are, you're what you're now because of me' is extremely hurtful. And if those words came from a father to his daughter, it would be even worse.

I don't agree at all, that it's on Meghan to fix this situation with her father. She didn't cause it, she's not the one keeping it going. And as long as TM keeps talking to the press, and allowing his other children be his mouth pieces, the situation isn't going to be fixed.

So Meghan should just suck up the abuse tossed at her by her father? Pass. Meghan doesn’t need to do anything that will mentally harm herself. You say it will fix it. Fix what? You don’t know these people or their true relationship. Meghan choosing to praise a father from yesteryear doesn’t mean that the current version isn’t a vile human not worth her time.

People paint images for the public. Doesn’t mean it’s the reality. We have seen this truth more than we like to admit. So remember that Meghan has publicly withdrawn from her father despite the press attacking her. It’s clearly for a reason. Also can we even find recent pictures of Meghan and Thomas like we can of Meghan with Doria. The last image of them was well over a decade ago. She didn’t introduce Harry for a reason.

Again. The clues are there.

I don’t know these people but neither do you , or any of us. You are right, people do paint pictures, so Meghan and her father are painting pictures. Some will choose to side with Meghan, some with her father. I am staying neutral, but what I see it needs to be fixed and it is Megan’s power to do so .

I don’t know these people but neither do you , or any of us. You are right, people do paint pictures, so Meghan and her father are painting pictures. Some will choose to side with Meghan, some with her father. I am staying neutral, but what I see it needs to be fixed and it is Megan’s power to do so .

How is it remaining neutral to say it's up to someone that's been abused and blackmailed publicly to make up with those that are trying to dish out humiliation at her at every turn simply because they aren't getting their way? Meghan isn't trying to paint a darn thing. She's been staying above it all and maintain dignity. Something both Tom Markle and his elder daughter can learn a thing or two about.

I don’t claim to know him. I’m judging him on solely on his current actions that tell me a lot about him. Meghan doesn’t need to fix anything with a man who publicly bullies her. I will never understand that mindset. One can side with Thomas and his ghastly behavior but he has shown the world his clear intentions over and over again.

Meghan invited this man to her wedding. Instead of supporting his child, he instead spent that week emotionally terrorizing her. We all remembered it. The TMZ "will I or won’t I attend" debacle. Him admitting he ignored her calls while talking to the media instead. Meghan made her decision. The media attacks her for it and she standing by it. That should say it all.

Maybe one day it can be savaged but I’m not holding my breath that it’s anytime in the foreseeable future. So maybe we should respect it and stop trying to force her into a relationship she might not actually want or emotionally/mentally need.

Last edited:
I hope Thomas Markle stop talking , I think he has made his point. He is really not saying anything unkind about Meghan he is mostly slamming Harry. Harry to me was just protecting his then fiancée based on what she told him.To me he seems more hurt because of the way he perceived he was treated. I don’t know it its right or wrong but that’s the way he feels.
There are several things I take away from this. The mistake of not meeting him and getting to know him before the wedding is troubling to me. Her mother was only there for three days. The only family member at her wedding was her mom , that is so shocking. This was a royal wedding , this is no ordinary wedding , yet no family member ,with the exception of her mother was invited. I just can’t wrap my head around that.
Meghan used to constantly praise her father. She has no family member in a new environment. I know some of you will say , the royal family is her family now . It’s just not the same. If something goes wrong between Harry and Meghan ( I hope nothing does) who do you think they will side with?
This is an embarrassment for everyone , Meghan needs to find some way to fix this with her father. I know that’s not a popular opinion but that’s the only way to fix this. Harry and Meghan are really just now getting to know each other , because their courtship was long distance and they need the peace to do that and not be distracted by this. Thomas was wrong to stage those photos and he has handled this entire thing in an awful way. I just feel is intent is not malicious, he feels slighted and hurt.

These endless interviews are ego trips for Dad. I don't think he is thinking about Meghan at all, just making himself feel better because he screwed up. He just can't take responsibility and is making things up to salve his conscience for his actions that have had consequences he doesn't want to acknowledge are a result of his words and actions. He is the only one who could fix this.

I disagree, he is being unkind to Meghan with the things he is saying now.

As for the wedding--there are many rumors that several of Meghan's relatives attended the wedding--but to protect them from the media it was not announced. Her mother only stayed a short time because she has her own life. I'm sure at some point she'll go for a visit--and we may not know anything about it.

Obviously, dad, half sister and half brother would be of no support whatsoever if Meghan needed such a thing. Her mom and her very close friends would be sufficient. They are discreet and loyal.

This is only an embarrassment to the Markle family involved in this ongoing soap opera. An annoyance like a gnat for everyone else, yes. Meghan is not responsible for her ridiculous family and cannot fix anything.

How is it not being unkind towards her by calling her stuck up and allow his older daughter to call her every name in the book without at least trying to tell her he disapproves?

And I'm not sure what the point about not a normal wedding, but a royal wedding has to do with which family she invites. The way her life is now, she has to close rank. It's an unfortunate part about having so much attention and curiosity on you. People can sell you out, so you have to be selective with who to associate with. How much family are these people really if they haven't been in touch for years? How much support can they really offer her? Meghan was hardly alone with her mother on her wedding day. She had the people that she loves and has been there for her for years there. They might not be "family" in the sense of DNA, but they've certainly been there for her far more than "family" that hasn't bothered to be in touch with her for years until she met Harry.

While I don't think Tom Markle started out to be malicious to Meghan, he has shown an extreme case of bad judgment and selfishness again and again. As an adult, I expect that he would get a grip over himself instead of letting things spiral completely out of control like it is now. As a parent, I expect him to protect his child rather than feed her to the wolves. He's the one with the power to STOP selling out his daughter. Meghan shouldn't have to put herself and her husband's privacy into unknown territory to just to appeasement someone who doesn't deserve it at this point. Based on his own account, Harry and Meghan went out of their way to make sure he is at the wedding and is a part of it. Just because he's not getting his way with THEIR wedding in every aspect, doesn't mean they weren't being inclusive to him. They had everything taken care of for him and ready for him. He can't even do the one thing they asked of him, which is not to talk to the press. It's not just for Meghan and Harry's benefit, but also Tom's, which he clearly sees now, yet refuses to rectify the situation because he can't stop acting like a spoiled and ignorant child who is not getting his way.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACO

No, it is only in Tom Markle Sr's power to try to repair his relationship with his younger daughter--he caused the problems. Meghan cannot fix it and she shouldn't try--she'd only be drawn into the ongoing drama.

Understand that this is a fundamental point of disagreement; it's not that I don't believe that it would be best if this could be fixed, it's that I don't believe that any action Meghan can take could fix it. At the end of the day, it takes two, and her family has made it quite clear that they will not allow it to be fixed.

Her father is not prepared to choose between Meghan and Samantha (despite being willing to cut his son out of his life, apparently Sam is sacrosanct). Thus, he has by default chosen Samantha because to "remain neutral" between an abuser and their victim is to inherently choose the side of the abuser. That's on him, not on Meghan. He has gone further, making statements that indicate he feels that Samantha's abuse of Meghan is Meghan's fault.

Meghan cannot fix Samantha's malice; it is sustained and has been constant for two years. Samantha has made it clear that she's going to continue to sow dissension between her father and her sister. Meghan cannot fix her father's choice to support Samantha's malice.

It's a stalemate and the only person who can fix this situation, frankly, is Samantha, because she's the source of the poison.

Royaldancer, I don't believe this situation is an embarrassment to EVERYONE at all. It has turn into a comedy that the normal person is finding silly. Meghan, I am sure, knew exactly how her family would react and told Harry and P Charles all about them. Tom Sr. has admitted that Harry and Meghan were going to meet him well prior to the wedding but he himself postponed [read the interviews he gave months ago] but now he blames Meghan and Harry. Tom Sr said he wasn't invited to the wedding and yet his name was printed on the wedding program and his suit already made. Daddy was given the same advise as Mom prior to wedding by RF only one listened as the Daddy wanted to run the show as if he was paying. Only Daddy and his two oldest children insisted on payment for their opinions. Now he wants his youngest to devote her life to caring for him in his old age. If this drama wasn't due to the fact that Meghan was now part of the BRF, good old Tom would still be in Mexico living away from his children [because he wanted to do so] and all his 5 grandchildren and not giving a damn.

The greed for money is playing the biggest part. The two older children couldn't make a decent living on their own so this is their cash cow. I say let them get paid for looking ignorant as we all know the type of reporters that are writing these lovely stories are mutations themselves. No, not Meghan's problem at all. She has shown class probably drilled into her by her Mom. I am sure that P Charles did in fact talk about a lot of this absurd nonsense prior to wedding with Meghan's Mom and they all knew what was happening. The Royals, I believe, are correct in this situation and showing proper class against reprehensible lack of morals and bizarre blackmail tactics of "want-to-be" important world acknowledged people. Nope they are just trying to manipulate themselves into wealth and ambiance. Really wrong way to accomplish. They are just acting like something out of Monty Python's Flying Circus. JMO

Last edited:
When I read this Markle stuff-it’s lunacy. I can’t add anything except it reminds me as a kid when I’d hear the words...in the name of God, what are you thinking..... I agree with most of you.

It's a stalemate and the only person who can fix this situation, frankly, is Samantha, because she's the source of the poison.

Quite frankly, I don't see a need to fix the situation with Samantha. She's irrelevant regardless if she wants to talk to not. OTOH, to fix the situation with Tom is entirely up to Tom. He can still make better choices in life and possibly salvage some sort of relationship with Meghan if he wants to. He can start by stop threatening her in the public and stop feeding into Samantha's daddy issues.

Quite frankly, I don't see a need to fix the situation with Samantha. She's irrelevant regardless if she wants to talk to not. OTOH, to fix the situation with Tom is entirely up to Tom. He can still make better choices in life and possibly salvage some sort of relationship with Meghan if he wants to. He can start by stop threatening her in the public and stop feeding into Samantha's daddy issues.

Out of curiosity, do you see a distinction between "fix the situation with Samantha" and "Samantha fixing the situation"?

Out of curiosity, do you see a distinction between "fix the situation with Samantha" and "Samantha fixing the situation"?

I find both to be irrelevant. I just don't see why or how it would be fixed at this point given that neither party wanted to make an effort in staying in each other's lives for years before this. And Samantha's interest is clearly only in money and attention to even some score in her head with Meghan. I don't see her having a sudden change of heart and have a find Jesus moment.

Nothing can be repaired PERIOD. Samantha and Thomas Jr are irrelevant....they will never be part of Meghan's life!!!!!

Thomas Snr's actions have been abusive and cowardly. What ever relationship that he had with Meghan is now over. He can never be trusted again!!!

Last edited:
I find both to be irrelevant. I just don't see why or how it would be fixed at this point given that neither party wanted to make an effort in staying in each other's lives for years before this. And Samantha's interest is clearly only in money and attention to even some score in her head with Meghan. I don't see her having a sudden change of heart and have a find Jesus moment.

I don't see her having one either. But for as long as she remains toxic, and Thomas refuses to cut ties with her, this situation will continue.

I don't think Samantha is irrelevant; I think she's the root problem. It's never going to be fixed as long as Samantha wants it to continue because Thomas and the media keep giving her oxygen.

I don't see a scenario in which Thomas and Meghan make up as long as Samantha is in play, continuing to drip poison into his ear.

I have yet to see where any of the Markle e(strange)d family have shown an inkling of respect and caring for Meghan. Samantha has pretty much come out stating that she sees absolutely nothing wrong with taking advantage of this situation and that money makes the world go around. The *only* time either sibling has said something nice in the press, it was accompanied by a begging request to be invited to the wedding.

What blows my mind is Tom, Sr. coming out and stating that even though he felt that Harry was rude in admonishing him for talking to the press, he states that Harry was right when he said "if you had listened to us, none of this would have happened". So, he admits it was a bad idea to go his own way and talk to the press yet he continues to do so as if its going to change anything. He *knows* what is he doing is causing the problems but he refuses to stop using the press as his mouthpiece. He's always giving his last interview but we've heard that so many times before that we know he's crying "wolf".

Meghan actually is trying to resolve the problem as we speak. Her method though is not any that have been suggested but as I see it, tough love. She cannot and will not play into this drama. Tom, Sr., unless he really is dense, knows what he needs to do to repair this situation but as of now, he's refused to do it.

How many of us as children have had our parents say to us "this hurts me more than its going to hurt you" when we've been naughty and are about to be punished? Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

I don't see her having one either. But for as long as she remains toxic, and Thomas refuses to cut ties with her, this situation will continue.

I don't think Samantha is irrelevant; I think she's the root problem. It's never going to be fixed as long as Samantha wants it to continue because Thomas and the media keep giving her oxygen.

I don't see a scenario in which Thomas and Meghan make up as long as Samantha is in play, continuing to drip poison into his ear.

I don't think Tom was giving her much oxygen until he started his whole poor little ole me act. In fact, she was only reduced to her Twitter as a medium. Even DM and such have stopped paying her.

I think her continued presence causes some distance for Meghan and Tom, but I don't think that would've done it all in. Meghan was clearly still trying to walk that fine line of having her father in her life while he's not cutting Samantha out of his before the wedding.

Ultimately, I don't find Samantha to be a root problem for Tom and Meghan's relationship. Tom is ultimately the root problem. He has the power to make those decisions. And quite frankly, I don't see this ending well for Samantha and Tom's relationship either. Make no mistake with Samantha's little I'm daddy's girl dance, she's a user. She's on Tom's side and stroking his ego because it's convenient for her. The problem with users is that they are always the first to turn when they no longer have use for someone. Once Tom Markle hasn't had access for awhile (long enough for him to be what Samantha was at the time of the wedding), that's when problems will start for daddy and Samantha.

Last edited:
Thomas blamed Meghan for Samantha's vile actions. He confirmed when Meghan asked him to help her get Samantha to stop attacking her he told her no. He essentially picked Samantha over Meghan. That was his choice. He is a bully who doesn't see anything wrong with others bullying Meghan (and Doria). That is the Markles. That is why Meghan makes it no secret she is close to her mother while also having no issue letting the world see her "ice out" her father.

If this was my dad I'd be icing him out too...along with the rest of them.

LaRae

Thomas blamed Meghan for Samantha's vile actions. He confirmed when Meghan asked him to help her get Samantha to stop attacking her he told her no. He essentially picked Samantha over Meghan. That was his choice. He is a bully who doesn't see anything wrong with others bullying Meghan (and Doria). That is the Markles. That is why Meghan makes it no secret she is close to her mother while also having no issue letting the world see her "ice out" her father.

I really, really, really doubt that Meghan asked her father for help in getting Samantha to back off. I think that is another of his fictional stories designed to build his ego up in his own fantasy world.

:previous: I actually believe it. I don't think it was the way he described it but I can see him 100% asking about Samantha coming to the wedding and Meghan saying no while also telling him to NOT discuss her life with Samantha. A 'keep my name out her mouth' situation.

This is a good article about dealing with a toxic parent and the situation Meghan is now facing: https://blogs.psychcentral.com/all-...parent/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Thomas, as any master manipulator, is using the press to manipulate the focus point. He wants everyone to concentrate in the paparazzi pictures. But according to his earlier interviews, Meghan and Harry said it wasn't a big deal, they just wanted him at the wedding. That didn't cause Meghan to cut contact. It was the fact, that he schemed behind Meghan's back to give an interview to GMB, Piers Morgan. He revealed extremely private information Meghan had trusted him with, as any daughter would. And he has not stopped. Each interview he gives more private information. And he makes up stuff, and acts like that too was private information. He's trying to paint Harry as an abusive bully. He's trying to make it seem like the RF wronged him. When all of this is a simple matter of TM betraying and selling out his daughter for money and fame.

Even though he's an experienced manipulator in his own level, among the markles, he's no match to the level he is now. He keeps exposing himself in each interview he gives. The recent 'I asked her to send an invite to all of the markles as a kind gesture, they couldn't afford the flights anyway, but of course that didn't happen!' He tries to make himself seem like the one wronged again, when this was him trying to manipulate Meghan to sending an invite to Samantha. He's not good at manipulating when his own words from previous interviews ar just a few google searches away, and his claims can be easily checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom