The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, if you are american citizen, you have to have a known address in the country so official documents can be delivered to you. That could be a lawyer's office as well. It doesn't matter where you actually live, it is for official business and has to be in the US. Of course HM could have chose to give the papers to Meghan and Harry over tea, but if the story is true at all, I guess it was because of that.

I have US friends and while they worked at the US Army in Germany, so the US authorities knew exactly where they were, they still had to give authority to her parents along with their address to receive certain documents.

I agree with you here. While living in Germany for two years doing a Master's degree, my official residence was in Berlin, however, I had to maintain a U.S. address, or have a U.S. address contact info. It would be the same for Meghan, even if she was moving overseas indefinitely. She is not a British citizen yet, and would need to maintain a U.S. address, if only for that reason, and her mother's address would have been more than suitable.

I'm also not stating what Tom Sr. said is true or not, BUT only that Meghan still has financial and legal responsibilities in the U.S. which would mean she has to maintain a legal U.S. mailing address. Her mother seems the likely choice.

But wouldn't the requirement for a US address apply to US government documents?

Why would the British government be required to follow US rules in the matter of delivering official documents?

it seems to me that the person who wrote the article about Doria moving to the Uk has done less research than the people on this forum.

Hello Magazine is officially over the Markles. They say they won't be writing about them anymore.
They don't say they won't be writing about the Markles.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...e-dad-thomas-markle-speaks-out-new-interview/

As far as I can tell from the article Hello will not be writing more about the more sensitive details of this new interview.
They don't say they won't be writing more about the Markles.

I would indeed be very surprised if a magazine that specialize not least in royals should stop writing about a major (and ongoing!!) news story.
Some magazines actually do, but they are not aimed at an international audience.

The latest tirade by Thomas Markle is merely exposing him even more as a very childish, immature and self-centered person.
If he has indeed said to Harry that it would be better if he was dead, that nails it.
He is a man with issues. Only children, people suffering from dementia and egocentrics would say something like that.
And considering how eager he is to say he would never hurt M&H, he sure is busy doing just that. - And earning well, so why not give people the full melodramatic show?

- And you think this is about as low as it can get? Oh no!
I can easily imagine a scenario, where Thomas Markle is committed to hospital (doctors after all have to adhere to confidentiality and remain silence.) We will see daily press meetings with a Samantha Markle, (barely being able to conceal her glee) announcing how her critically ill daddy is calling for Meghan to come and visit him on his death bed, and bring Harry - so he can give them their blessing before he expires.
- That he happens to live on will be attributable to a miracle brought on by the (very temporary reconciliation...)
Can you hear the violins?

But wouldn't the requirement for a US address apply to US government documents?

Why would the British government be required to follow US rules in the matter of delivering official documents?

I'm not stating what Tom Sr. said is correct or not, but only that Meghan is required to maintain a legal address in the U.S. for some reasons, such as legal and financial reasons.

As for the British government, you are correct. The maintenance of U.S. domicile is for U.S. government only. Once a U.S. resident or citizen relocates out of U.S. territories, anything having to do with the new place of residence is dealt with their new residence. They would only need to have a U.S. address for again legal and financial responsibilities, i.e. voting, etc. if they are still a legal resident.

It's completely different if she were to relinquish her U.S. citizen. That's a different story all together.

The wording that he's quoting is from the minutes of the March Privy Council meeting in which the Queen provided her assent.

http://privycouncil.independent.gov...018/03/2018-03-14-List-of-Business-Part-1.pdf

It makes no sense that a scroll would be made of that particular piece of government administration.

Worth noting, the Instrument of Consent was actually signed with the Great Seal in May, not in March.

I, for the life of me, cannot fathom where Tom, Sr. got the notion that he would even receive a copy of this Instrument of Consent. He didn't even call it what it really is but rather an "engagement announcement". Even worse, it was reported to be a valid story by a *British* tabloid that should have known the difference. Especially if they had reported on the document back when it was released.

I honestly believe that the only people that would have been given the document with all its carefully done and beautiful artwork would be Harry and Meghan as it pertains to them. Its not an generic wedding announcement nor is it an invitation or is it something everybody got but its a legal governmental document required by the Queen and her privy counsel to give assent to this marriage according to the Royal Marriage Act. Without this document, Harry's marriage would not have been recognized as valid for him to remain in the line of succession, be a Councilor of State and probably a few other things to boot.

Thomas Markle, Sr. showed his ignorance when talking about this matter. Not only ignorance but total confusion as to how things in the UK work. He sees what he wants to see and every little thing is now a slight to him. He obviously isn't willing to learn either. I'm expressly disappointed that a *British* paper (even if its a tabloid) that should have known better, proceeded to print this garbage as if it were in fact true.

Stories coming from Thomas Markle, Sr.'s mouth are getting to be from so far out in left field from a galaxy far, far away that the man has zero chance of any kind of credibility to his name and once credibility is gone, so goes respect for him as a person. He will never be able to "fix" his image. Ever.

it seems to me that the person who wrote the article about Doria moving to the Uk has done less research than the people on this forum.

Very true.

Reading the government links, it doesn't seem to me that she fits any of the categories unless she becomes dependent on Meghan and can't get affordable similar care in the US. There may be other options too. Perhaps she can visit for 6 months and go back to US for 6 months.

If these stories of Doria perhaps moving to the UK persist, next up in line will be Tom, Sr. insisting that he should be given the same opportunity. That's the ticket. Move Tom to the UK and ensconce him in a palace somewhere, give him a royal title where he'll be treated as the royal father-in-law he is and perhaps even an honorary seat in the House of Lords where he can be a mouthpiece for his daughter, Samantha who we all know is a gen-u-ine humanitarian and activist that should be listened to.

Eh, the way the man is going now with his grossly exaggerated sense of self importance, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. :D

I'm not stating what Tom Sr. said is correct or not, but only that Meghan is required to maintain a legal address in the U.S. for some reasons, such as legal and financial reasons.

As for the British government, you are correct. The maintenance of U.S. domicile is for U.S. government only. Once a U.S. resident or citizen relocates out of U.S. territories, anything having to do with the new place of residence is dealt with their new residence. They would only need to have a U.S. address for again legal and financial responsibilities, i.e. voting, etc. if they are still a legal resident.

It's completely different if she were to relinquish her U.S. citizen. That's a different story all together.
You are right! :flowers: I was just trying to come up with reasons why there could be a bit of truth in the whole story. Maybe it's simply that Meghan wanted to let Mom see it, have it and be proud and she asked (innocently enough as a Non-Royal) if they could send a copy to her Mom - thinking they'd just post it... But as there is no way to verify what really happened, let#s just deal with it like another non-verifyiable Markle-sprout of potential lies.

"think this has been coming for a while. Even before the wedding she told me how she misses her Megs so much"

Just saying but Americans really don't say "her Megs" we really don't say that.

Another mistake:Meghan, who grew up in Windsor Hills, has raved about her birthplace in interviews, saying she misses the LA lifestyle of “palm trees, the heat of the sun and the ocean breeze.”

Meghan did not grow up in Windsor Hills.

I honestly believe that the only people that would have been given the document with all its carefully done and beautiful artwork would be Harry and Meghan as it pertains to them.

I'd 'lay money' that the original document will be consigned to the Royal Library at Windsor Castle 'in perpetuity'. Just possibly the Duke and Duchess may hold a copy, but tbh I think its unlikely. The Marriage certificate, CERTAINLY, but not the 'instrument of consent'.

As for 'Moaning Markle'.. he can sing for it...

Last edited:
What you say makes even more sense than what I wrote, m'friend. You're probably absolutely right that the original is going to be put somewhere safe and protected in the royal archives for posterity.

As far as I can tell from the article Hello will not be writing more about the more sensitive details of this new interview.
They don't say they won't be writing more about the Markles.

I would indeed be very surprised if a magazine that specialize not least in royals should stop writing about a major (and ongoing!!) news story.
Some magazines actually do, but they are not aimed at an international audience.

The latest tirade by Thomas Markle is merely exposing him even more as a very childish, immature and self-centered person.
If he has indeed said to Harry that it would be better if he was dead, that nails it.
He is a man with issues. Only children, people suffering from dementia and egocentrics would say something like that.
And considering how eager he is to say he would never hurt M&H, he sure is busy doing just that. - And earning well, so why not give people the full melodramatic show?

- And you think this is about as low as it can get? Oh no!
I can easily imagine a scenario, where Thomas Markle is committed to hospital (doctors after all have to adhere to confidentiality and remain silence.) We will see daily press meetings with a Samantha Markle, (barely being able to conceal her glee) announcing how her critically ill daddy is calling for Meghan to come and visit him on his death bed, and bring Harry - so he can give them their blessing before he expires.
- That he happens to live on will be attributable to a miracle brought on by the (very temporary reconciliation...)
Can you hear the violins?

They, the Markles will do *anything* and *everything* to get Meghan to respond to them......nothing is out of bounds with them even death.

The Markle's OWE the tabloids now, so they must keep up the hate and vile stories to get to Meghan for if not then the media might turn on them and they can not afford that for then they would lose money and all that attention that puts them on the world stage, that is so addicting now that it has become their drug of choice. There is no other way out of this for them now, only the media must put a stop to it once and for all.

I think we are in for along ride with these people until they are shut down by others or someone in a position of authority.

Why on earth would Doria move in with her daughter's brother-in-law and his wife at either of their homes? That just seems...odd. I can't imagine my brother's or my husband's brothers' mothers-in-law moving in with me for any length of time--maybe a few days visit if need be.

And Anmer is a fair distance from London and the Cotswolds.
Well for starters, there is definitely more bedrooms and bathrooms at Apt. 1A than there are at Nott Cott.? We have not received a timeline for the renovation work being done at Apt. 1 which is reportedly being readied for the Sussexes to move into. So for the time being if Doria needed a place to stay, then a few nights at Apt. 1A is unlikely to be an issue for anyone. ?

Well for starters, there is definitely more bedrooms and bathrooms at Apt. 1A than there are at Nott Cott.? We have not received a timeline for the renovation work being done at Apt. 1 which is reportedly being readied for the Sussexes to move into. So for the time being if Doria needed a place to stay, then a few nights at Apt. 1A is unlikely to be an issue for anyone. ?

Have the Gloucesters moved then?;)
?

Very true.

Reading the government links, it doesn't seem to me that she fits any of the categories unless she becomes dependent on Meghan and can't get affordable similar care in the US. There may be other options too. Perhaps she can visit for 6 months and go back to US for 6 months.

I agree. She apparently owns the property she lives in so she has assets so that makes "dependency" a tricky one.

Just my opinion but I have always thought that if Meghan's British citizenship was rushed through, the public would generally say ok (not everyone though), but it will not be acceptable for her mother. People who are British have been told their family members can't settle in UK. It would cause a major political storm.

But I still think this is a nonsense story.

Have the Gloucesters moved then?;)
?
Have not seen anything on an alleged move from the Gloucestersame but there was scheduled work for Apt 1 in 2018.
If speculation turnso out to be true that the Sussex couple are moving to Apt 1, we might hear something soon.

What you say makes a whole lot of sense to me, Sturf. Without uttering a single word, Meghan's whole demeanor during all this tabloid frenzy with her e(strange)d family reminds me so much of a childhood taunt that actually seems to be applicable in this case.

"I am rubber, you are glue, everything you say sticks right back to you." :D

I don't see Doria moving. People were trying to claim this right after the wedding too. I think if anything it would be Doria will spend a few months out of the year once grandchildren are in the picture. Meghan is her only child. So would anyone be all that shocked if she wants to be there for her child/grandchildren? I would hope not.

Daily Mail is really pushing Meghan to patch it up with Daddy

RICHARD KAY: The Royals' handling of the Thomas Markle debacle is turning into an existential crisis | Daily Mail Online

Nice spin putting this on the palace for not treating Dad like a king and the nieces and nephews weren't invited, people Meghan haven't seen in ten plus years. Richard Kay apparently thinks if there is an embarrassing relative spouting off to the press stroke their egos and more or less buy them off with access and possibly perks. Kay brought up Kate's Uncle Gary for false equivalency and that really didn't work out because Uncle Gary still made embarrassing headlines after being brought in.

Tom and Gary are two different troublesome in laws where there is no one size fits all solution to deal with them.

Anyone that would agree with the things Kay states in this recent article clearly do not understand that one does not negotiate with terrorists. Perhaps the Markles are not the definition of being terrorists but they're surely doing their part to terrorize and demean and denigrate both Harry and Meghan any way that they can to the point of sounding ludicrous and unbalanced mentally.

To give the Markles, any of them, any kind of attention to placate them, pay them off, bring them into the "fold" or even acknowledge at this point that they even exist, would be telling the world that these people were right, result in a loss of dignity and credibility to not only themselves but also to the monarchy they represent and on top of that, gives the go ahead for any Markle to spew whatever they want to keep the cash flow going.

I seriously doubt that its a conversation topic let alone a crisis at Balmoral, at Buckingham Palace or Kensington Palace or even Burger King and Dairy Queen at this point. The Markles are no more than the annoying gnats at the royal BBQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that man really say Meghan should have invited people she hasn't talked to in DECADES just because...?

GMAFB! Hell nah. No Meghan shouldn't have invited the Markes who have made it their hobby to attack and use her. This is absurd. I am so over these wannabe family therapists trying to tell Meghan how to deal with the father she has known her ENTIRE LIFE. Like, shut up. You don't know them or their real issues.

If Meghan has iced out her father so publicly knowing all the push back then step back and realize it likely is for a very good reason. Look at his actions of late. He has no issue emotionally blackmailing his daughter for the world to see. Now imagine how he is in private.

Good on Meghan for ignoring it. She clearly has the full backing of the palace, so continuing doing what you need to do to stay mentally healthy.

If she at some point wants to talk to Thomas, then she will. If not, then whatever.

Good for Meghan to have put abusing relatives in their place & keep them at a distance for her own mental well-being. These relatives have proven that it’s not worth having a relationship with them.

As Alow Vera said there is no scandal here. What they are trying to do is pressure Meghan and the Palace into creating one. It's a media trap much like Tom initially got himself caught it in. The media tells you how you need to improve your image. If you just do these things it will make it better, and then once you agree to it. Boom. They got you. There is no scandal now. In fact if anything it's been good for the BRF as a whole in being seen as embracing Meghan, particularly for Charles. The scandal is the minute anyone from the Brf gives any of the Markles money or perks. Private money or not it will be seen and labeled by the media as tax payer money. Can you imagine what the scandal stories would have been if the Palace had in fact sent a babysitter for months to Mexico for Thomas like many of the media suggest should have been done? All about misuse of tax payer funds to silence a private citizen.

Have not seen anything on an alleged move from the Gloucestersame but there was scheduled work for Apt 1 in 2018.
If speculation turnso out to be true that the Sussex couple are moving to Apt 1, we might hear something soon.

I always thought they ready Apt.1 for the queen's use while BP is being renovated? Or will she permanently move to Windsor? Was something said about this?

Anmer is in Norfolk not in London.

I don't think Doria will go to London permanently. The climate alone would send her back to LA very quickly, especially in winter. Doria has her home, relatives, friends, church community and work in California. We don't know whether she will retire at 60, may want to work and be independent for several years more. Long visits on the cards instead, IMO, after her grandchildren are born.
I think I read somewhere that she is sixty-two years old. Prior to the wedding, it was reported that Doria had quit her job for the private sector and the latest media report which included her mentioned she visited her home on several occasions but always accompanied by Security. I wondered why we hadn't seen her putting out the rubbish for a while. :D
Doria don’t have to move anywhere. I’m just saying it would be beautiful if she moved to London to be near her daughter and son-in-law. She wouldn’t have to take the long flights back and forth to see them and her future grandchildren.

I’m sure if she moved, all the legal stuff would be taken care of.
Agreed.

Yes, they have been working on Apartment 1, but most of it seems to be on the structural exterior such as repointing the brick chimneys and repair or replacement of the slate roof. The fact that the Gloucester's have remained on site during the repairs seems to support this report.

It is my belief that Doria changed her address for security and her job to enable her to travel as needs be and wouldn't we all expect her to be available to her daughter should she become pregnant. Especially since her father has gone off the rails.

To those media hacks who cry crocodile tears insisting that Meghan meet to clear the air? Go mess with someone else's life. Just see what milage Tom has got with phone calls and Samantha with no contact but plenty of hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom