The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so true. Sr. has crossed so many lines. I question the empathy of people in the media who are trying to bribe Meghan to meet with this man.

My opinion would be to diplomatically meet with him just so the that side of the family and their enablers can't hold that over her head forever. Of course any meeting should be in the presence of a mediator, taped so that untrustworthy person cannot twist what happend. This man is not deserving of respect when he gives none in return. Just bang and get it over with so he can't hold the sympathy card.

Meghan has already done enough! Why should she have to take more abuse to make others feel better? Even if she chooses to meet with him, someone will claim that’s not good enough. If she doesn’t meet with him, someone will say it’s not good enough.

After the fact, we know Meghan spoke with her father regularly, her father was offered everything that her Mum accepted, but he chose to refuse. His choice. Her father said in one of the interviews that Meghan flew him from Mexico to the US to be fitted for clothes, yet he turned around and staged a different scenario with his other daughter to make himself look like a fool. All he had to do was sit quietly & all would’ve been taken care of for him.

Regardless of what Meghan chooses, there are still people that will hold her actions over her head, that is why she must do what is good for her & that should be respected by everyone.

What's interesting in this whole mess is that, of everything that's been said, by everyone that's the talked, including Samantha. NOT ONE account of Meghan behaving badly towards family. Even when Samantha described their last conversation in 2014, it was clear that Meghan was going to handle things as diplomatically as she can without compromising herself. Samantha was upset because Meghan wouldn't cough up any cash, but even then, it was cordial on Meghan's side.

Given the entitlement and bratty behavior we've seen, Meghan has been exemplary in her behavior in dealing with these people, before and after Harry.

All Meghan needs to remember is that shitty things happen in life. What doesn't break you makes you stronger and keep holding your head high. If other grown adults wants to flash their behind in public, that's their business.

Last edited:
What's interesting in this whole mess is that, of everything that's been said, by everyone that's the talked, including Samantha. NOT ONE account of Meghan behaving badly towards family. Even when Samantha described their last conversation in 2014, it was clear that Meghan was going to handle things as diplomatically as she can without compromising herself. Samantha was upset because Meghan wouldn't cough up any cash, but even then, it was cordial on Meghan's side.

Given the entitlement and bratty behavior we've seen, Meghan has been exemplary in her behavior in dealing with these people, before and after Harry.

Exactly. I was just thinking the same - and it's even more evident when Samantha goes into a "poor little me" phase when they are publicly attacked by the media or commenters online. Meghan has been wise and impeccable during this whole debacle, and, well, just pure mess. If I were in her shoes now that she's married to Harry and living in England, I would have cut off ties with Samantha and Thomas (who seems to be no better) a long while ago.

Meghan never said anything bad about her close family or estranged relatives on her social media accounts. Yet she has relatives who have used every form of media to disparage her. They are bullies, the relatives & media who have given them a platform to abuse!

It’s horrible that in this current environment when there are so many anti-bullying campaigns, so many are taking an active part in encouraging the bullying of a victim who chose to peacefully walk away.

I thought it might be of slight interest to learn how the non-British/American press cover this.

I think a little side-remark by the journalist in this Danish tabloid article is typical.
The article provides a brief and faithful summary of the latest. I.e, Samantha Markle expressing her discontent with Meghan not contacting her father at all, despite recent rumors that they are to meet.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/meghan-markles-halvsoester-i-ny-sviner-jeg-har-aldrig-set-noget-saa-koldt

This is telling I think:
Den tidligere 'Suits'-skuespiller har en familie, hun sandsynligvis gerne vil nøjes med at se i et fotoalbum. I hvert fald har både hendes halvsøster og halvbror svinet hende til i alverdens medier efter forlovelsen. Og hertugindens aparte familie give hender fortsat problemer.

The former Suits-actress has a family she'd probably prefer only to see in a photo-album. Both her half-sister and half-brother have (this is difficult to translate directly. It's slang for putting someone down in a mean way) put her down in all sorts of media since the engagement. And the singular family of the Duchess continue to cause problems for her.

To the extent that this is covered in the, in this example, Danish press, the Markle family is openly talked about by journalists with scorn.

It’s horrible that in this current environment when there are so many anti-bullying campaigns, so many are taking an active part in encouraging the bullying of a victim who chose to peacefully walk away.

There will always be the caliber of people that will congregate watching a man standing on a ledge and participate in the event by yelling "Jump!"

This is the caliber of people that feed on tabloids and shows like Jerry Springer and Big Brother and the sad part is that those kinds of media rake in millions and millions of green dollars.

I am going to admit that in the past I have sat through episodes of the Jerry Springer show. To me, it was so insulting to human intelligence that I found it comical. I had a friend that went on the show even with his wife and they thought it was fabulous (it was a makeover show). To each their own. What floats one person's boat sinks another person's. Differences make the world much more interesting.

I thought it might be of slight interest to learn how the non-British/American press cover this.

I think a little side-remark by the journalist in this Danish tabloid article is typical.
The article provides a brief and faithful summary of the latest. I.e, Samantha Markle expressing her discontent with Meghan not contacting her father at all, despite recent rumors that they are to meet.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/meghan-markles-halvsoester-i-ny-sviner-jeg-har-aldrig-set-noget-saa-koldt

This is telling I think:
Den tidligere 'Suits'-skuespiller har en familie, hun sandsynligvis gerne vil nøjes med at se i et fotoalbum. I hvert fald har både hendes halvsøster og halvbror svinet hende til i alverdens medier efter forlovelsen. Og hertugindens aparte familie give hender fortsat problemer.

The former Suits-actress has a family she'd probably prefer only to see in a photo-album. Both her half-sister and half-brother have (this is difficult to translate directly. It's slang for putting someone down in a mean way) put her down in all sorts of media since the engagement. And the singular family of the Duchess continue to cause problems for her.

To the extent that this is covered in the, in this example, Danish press, the Markle family is openly talked about by journalists with scorn.

Thanks for the information. I actually haven't thought about getting the truly foreign media's opinion on this (likely because I don't speak the languages). It's interesting since I think Samantha has actually done interviews with Expressen.

It’s human nature, gossip sells and generates clicks. Emily Andrews said on one of her podcasts, the reason they do so much ‘behind the scenes’ and gossipy bits is because that’s what people are interested in. It’s why fashion gets so much coverage.

Speaking of behind the scenes. The mail online have pictures of Meghan’s childhood homes.

Photos show the inside Meghan Markle's childhood homes in Los Angeles | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Modest homes?!?

Apart from the flat above the garage, there is plenty of room in those homes.

:previous: Modest homes?!?

Apart from the flat above the garage, there is plenty of room in those homes.

American standards differ from European standards...

Thanks for the information. I actually haven't thought about getting the truly foreign media's opinion on this (likely because I don't speak the languages). It's interesting since I think Samantha has actually done interviews with Expressen.

Unfortunately, the Dutch media isn't that critical when recently reporting about the 'crisis meeting' to decide how to go about Meghan's family. They mainly focus on how inconvenient it is for the BRF.

I'm in agreement with Somebody. those apartment flats are very similar to what my ex and I had in the 70s before we were able to acquire our own home which isn't that much different from the residence that Tom and Doria lived in when first married.

Very much what we would deem "modest" here in the US and affordable by all kinds of families from all walks of life back then in the 70s.

I can't remember which program it was exactly that I watched but Doria's former landlord of the open front garage/apartment spoke very kindly in regards to Doria and Meghan.

Nope, the Markle family drama really isn't on the headlines everyday. If you even google Meghan Markle, you'll see mixed news articles about her and Prince Harry, and then some about Samantha and her father. In other words, it's all normal coverage. I think what the Sussexes are doing right now is perfect, letting the Markles do their worst. It might seem like it's on the news all the time but it's not--her engagements, her outfits, the couple's appearance dominate the news so much more than the family drama.

Agree 100%. :flowers: Do any search and it's pretty hard to find all the stuff that is being talked about on this thread. In fact, for me, this thread is the source for all this, not the news media.

The only ones paying this continuous attention is really the digital tabloids.

Are those on this thread. ;) It's really a hot-house environment on the thread. Pretty intense. Creating it's own weather system imo. ;)

Agree 100%. :flowers: Do any search and it's pretty hard to find all the stuff that is being talked about on this thread. In fact, for me, this thread is the source for all this, not the news media.

Are those on this thread. ;) It's really a hot-house environment on the thread. Pretty intense. Creating it's own weather system imo. ;)

I agree, I don't see very much about Meghan's family--a headline here or there about Samantha's lastest rant or Thomas's latest interview with a heftly sprinkling of Meghan's clothes and a few nasty she broke some protocol stories.

I think in the greater world, most people don't care. Some may feel a passing thought of sympathy because Meghan has a mostly crummy paternal family--but people are getting tired of the non-story.

I think some people here at TRF are more invested in this than anyone but maybe Samantha.?

I just don’t want Markle Sr. to die before he and Meghan have some sort of understanding. It could happen, and I would hate for her to have to carry that through life.

And he also has to keep a relationship with Samantha because, pathetic as she is, he really has no one else.

I agree, I don't see very much about Meghan's family--a headline here or there about Samantha's lastest rant or Thomas's latest interview with a heftly sprinkling of Meghan's clothes and a few nasty she broke some protocol stories.

I think in the greater world, most people don't care. Some may feel a passing thought of sympathy because Meghan has a mostly crummy paternal family--but people are getting tired of the non-story.

I think some people here at TRF are more invested in this than anyone but maybe Samantha.?

Don't forget the British tabloids!

As Rudolph said...this is excellent click and bait and will assist in advertising dollars.

So the continuing Markle saga isn't hurting their business. I also see a large number of random articles in my yahoo page about it. I can't tell if its because its new or its because I google search the Markles.

I just don’t want Markle Sr. to die before he and Meghan have some sort of understanding. It could happen, and I would hate for her to have to carry that through life.

And he also has to keep a relationship with Samantha because, pathetic as she is, he really has no one else.

Part of me thinks the same as well but part of me thinks that sometimes you just don't get closure.

And yes, it does appear that he isn't close to any of his family other than Samantha. He doesn't talk to Thomas Jr., and his brother and his family don't seem to know what's going on with him either. I remember one of his neices saying she didn't think he was invited to wedding when in fact he was. We all know how that turned out but still. He also doesn't seem to have a relationship with any of his grandchildren but still holding out for the royal ones.

Last edited:
American standards differ from European standards...

That's true. However, we have to take into context of this being in the 80s and 90s for the most part. I don't think the home sizes were that out of control at that time. People actually lived without closets that are the size of bedrooms and kids actually shared rooms.

The fear, however, is that meeting with him will just lead to a cycle of "meet, rapprochement, betrayal, silence, calls for her to meet with him again", endlessly. She could meet with him and in six months be back in a position of being estranged from him. And then people would say "but what if he dies?"

Someone above said that Meghan needs to "make amends" with Sr. Making amends is something you do towards someone you've wronged. Not someone who's been publically attempting to abuse you into a relationship while making it impossible for you to meet them halfway.

We all recognize that "be nice to me and I'll stop hitting you" is not a healthy dynamic. Somehow "be nice to me and I'll stop saying terrible things about you" doesn't get recognized as equally unhealthy.

The tabloids see that dragging the Markles is good for the bottom line. Look at the DM story about Meghan's childhood homes. Calling it a rags to riches story the Markles are labeled the rags. Doria is unfortunately lumped into this mess bit sh3 won't care. The Markles are another matter. Dad's pride is not going take being dismissed as the problematic poor relation of the Windsors that needs to be managed and Sam can't stand she is labeled the evil stepsister. That's why they lash out not only at Meghan but anyone that comes for them. The world is labeling them as losers but they put that tag on themselves. Dad has earned Emmys for his work but apparently that not enough for him. The Markles have low self esteem demons they don't know how to handle or want to learn how to handle. Thinking forcing Meghan and the BRF to embrace the Markles the world will respect them and the truth is it won't. They will be regarded as classless blackmailers still.

:previous:
Good question for I wondered the same ..........

The thing here is that the Markle;s have *NOTHING* new to talk about, there is absolutely nothing new coming from Meghan, Harry or KP for them to talk about, so they drag up anything and everything to keep the focus on them and their vile lives....soon and very soon the media will dump them for all their threats, interviews, tweeting , and what nots, is not working so with no media in their back pockets off they go and thing will die down to a normal boring life here......??

Then we can enjoy all the events that Harry and Meghan do with pleasure.....

:previous:
Good question for I wondered the same ..........

The thing here is that the Markle;s have *NOTHING* new to talk about, there is absolutely nothing new coming from Meghan, Harry or KP for them to talk about, so they drag up anything and everything to keep the focus on them and their vile lives....soon and very soon the media will dump them for all their threats, interviews, tweeting , and what nots, is not working so with no media in their back pockets off they go and thing will die down to a normal boring life here......??

Then we can enjoy all the events that Harry and Meghan do with pleasure.....

Most likely too with a flood of overdue payment requests to Samantha from her "publicist". ?

I think some people here at TRF are more invested in this than anyone but maybe Samantha.
?

Exactly what I see. :flowers: There is so much going on in the world of far greater import requiring our attention, after all.

As for that, there is nothing for her to 'carry'. Certainly not guilt. It's the person who passes that needs to come to peace with the world before crossing over. ;)

So the continuing Markle saga isn't hurting their business. I also see a large number of random articles in my yahoo page about it. I can't tell if its because its new or its because I google search the Markles.

That's what you are seeing. ;) Use someone else's computer (who is not into royalty) to see the radical difference in what pops up. What we see on the internet is really skewed to our interests and hence can be very misleading.

What is the point of this article?

None of those homes are rags. I mean they look like typical middle class homes. Do people in the UK live in mansions? Seems like the DM does'nt really get property values in the US. All of those homes are easily worth more than 400 K based on the overpriced California market.

Yes, it's just clickbait, and random stuff at that! The homes looked quite nice to me, though the journalists concerned threw in 'notorious' and 'rundown' a few times in order to emphasise 'rags to riches' nonsense. And of course there was 'hippy' this and 'hippy' that, referring to her parents' marriage.

A two bedroom apartment is a bit small but of course the older siblings had moved out by the time Meghan was in high school. None of those places were anything like the really rundown properties you can still see in some parts of London and other British cities and some of the comments pointed that out. It really is a non-story, except for the throw-away line about there being tensions between Meghan and her father over his irresponsibility when she was in her late teens.

That's what you are seeing. ;) Use someone else's computer (who is not into royalty) to see the radical difference in what pops up. What we see on the internet is really skewed to our interests and hence can be very misleading.

Absolutely true, and a little scary.

I'm a librarian, a few years ago our director wanted us to buy oodles of copies of a certain book. It was tangential to a topic he was very interested in personally. He was seeing lots of reference and links to this book because of his personal interests and searches and assumed there was high interest everywhere. The book ended up not really being very popular at all with our library customers, his expectations were skewed by what his computer was showing him.

Last edited:
The interesting thing about the Daily Mail article is the brief snippet about Meghan being a youth minister at her church and meeting a woman in Ireland who knew her from that time. Meghan apparently took her faith seriously as a teen.

Also, Doria owned a clothing and knick-knack store? First I have heard about that. I thought she worked in travel while Meghan was growing up.

Those kinds of tidbits to me were much more interesting than the pics of the flats that now look nothing like they did when she lived there or the narrative they are trying to sell of lower class Meg.

The fear, however, is that meeting with him will just lead to a cycle of "meet, rapprochement, betrayal, silence, calls for her to meet with him again", endlessly. She could meet with him and in six months be back in a position of being estranged from him. And then people would say "but what if he dies?"

Someone above said that Meghan needs to "make amends" with Sr. Making amends is something you do towards someone you've wronged. Not someone who's been publically attempting to abuse you into a relationship while making it impossible for you to meet them halfway.

We all recognize that "be nice to me and I'll stop hitting you" is not a healthy dynamic. Somehow "be nice to me and I'll stop saying terrible things about you" doesn't get recognized as equally unhealthy.

Another common sense post.

I’ll never understand the logic from certain quarters in placing the burden on a victim of abuse rather than the perpetrator. And the infantilism of the ‘wrong doer’/bully ..is just :ermm:

Also, the ‘demands’ usually get bigger & bigger in these kind of scenarios...

Yes, it's just clickbait, and random stuff at that! The homes looked quite nice to me, though the journalists concerned threw in 'notorious' and 'rundown' a few times in order to emphasise 'rags to riches' nonsense. And of course there was 'hippy' this and 'hippy' that, referring to her parents' marriage.

A two bedroom apartment is a bit small but of course the older siblings had moved out by the time Meghan was in high school. None of those places were anything like the really rundown properties you can still see in some parts of London and other British cities and some of the comments pointed that out. It really is a non-story, except for the throw-away line about there being tensions between Meghan and her father over his irresponsibility when she was in her late teens.

The inconsistencies of various narratives from the snippets I’ve seen so far and the unreliability of some rather proven (dodgy-with-truth) ‘sources’ for that book, i.e. Tom Jr ..just leaves me :ohmy:

When I was reading the article on the housing it brought to mind one of Dad's burn interviews which he claimed to have made 250,000USD a yr. during his career. Even with the cost of living in LA how did just get a two bedroom apartment? The Daily Beast got a hold of Dad's tax returns for 2016 and claimed to make approximately 48000 a year. Meghan's ex husband Trevor still lives in the house they shared and he can't be a player in Hollywood if he lives on Sunset Strip behind a club called Whiskey a Go Go.

We all know the Markles are motivated by greed and resentment for making money from Meghan. This article simply makes the case.

Last edited:
When I was reading the article on the housing it brought to mind one of Dad's burn interviews which he claimed to have made 250,000USD a yr. during his career. Even with the cost of living in LA how did just get a two bedroom apartment? The Daily Beast got a hold of Dad's tax returns for 2016 and claimed to make approximately 48000 a year.

Who knows? :sad: Money obviously ran through his fingers like water. Dunno. But where he was living was not cheap and near the school is nice.

Meghan's ex husband Trevor still lives in the house they shared and he can't be a player in Hollywood if he lives on Sunset Strip behind a club called Whiskey a Go Go.

Why can't he be 'a player' if he lives where he does? Do you know something I don't know? Where do 'players' live?

Just for clarity, the club has a lot of history but is very much a normal place one can bring anyone for 'good clean fun'. Nothing racy or honkey-tonk. ;) Also, it is located on Sunset Blvd (not Sunset Strip) and the area (given the way LA's neighborhood's work) has nice places all around there: houses and apartment buildings gated and upscale. One could say it's 'cute' in an LA kind of way. JMO. (There may be others who know more than I do about the area, please chime in).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom