The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something else that may prove to be an asset to keep in mind. Most everything we know about any of the e(strange)d relationship between Meghan, her father and half siblings have all been generated and gleaned from the media which, of course, has its own agenda in all of this.

We have no clue or any kind of an inkling of Meghan's feelings in all this or any solutions they're tossing about or what they plan to do. We, effectively, have been "frozen out" in this regard as much as the Markles and the press have been.

Its actually none of our business to begin with when we think about it.

At the end of the day, this is Meghan's decision. None of us know how she really feels, or what is going on behind the scenes regarding her family. If she feels that meeting her father and working on their relationship is the best solution, then so be it. Folks may not like it, but it's not our relationship. This is between Meghan and her dad.

Last edited:
Meghan could always meet up with her mum Doria in New York or somewhere else on the east coast rather than fly all the way to California. Now wouldn't that put a spoke into P.Ms plans. Not to mention the Markles plans, if they didn't know about it before hand.

This just makes me think. I know Doria is her own person and has her own life, but I would just love it if she moved to England to be near her grandchildren when Meghan and Harry have children. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Then Meghan and Doria could spend all the time the want together without the press and their prying eyes taking notes everytime she goes to California to see Doria and doesn't go to Mexico to see Tom, Sr. That would really put a kink in the press and the Markles attempts to "shame" her in that respect.

:previous: That's a high apple pie in the sky hope. Do you honestly think there is a way this could happen and resolve things peacefully at this time like mature adults? I'm not seeing it at all.

Speaking of high apple pie in the sky hopes, there's a verse to the lyrics of that song that remind me of Thomas Markle, Sr. right about now.

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

The man also has high apple pie in the sky hopes. :D

I agree. There is nothing to resolve. Meghan and Harry tried to help her father deal with the media attention and he threw it back in their face. From Tom, Sr. own mouth, he said they offered to come see him, but he told them not to. Then he hired a photographer to take pictures of him getting fitted for a suit. Harry and Meghan forgave him. Then he threw that in their face and began to collude with the press behind their back and sold them out. Meghan and Harry have done nothing wrong. When they realized that he did not want help and only wanted to sell them out, they cut off contact. In the position they are in in the British Royal Family, they can't have a close relationship with someone who is not trustworthy or dependable. He has proven he is a loose cannon and could easily twist any conversation they have or even make up a lie about something that was said in their conversations. If she does decide to talk to him, it will not be private for the reasons listed above. Tom, Sr. won't like that so talking to him will just make things worse. If Tom, Sr. can't stand up and be the father he is supposed to be, there will be no relationship. Tom Sr, Samantha, and Tom Jr. have made their own uncomfortable bed. They are going to have to lie in it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, this is Meghan's decision. None of us know how she really feels, or what is going on behind the scenes regarding her family. If she feels that meeting her father and working on their relationship is the best solution, then so be it. Folks may not like it, but it's not our relationship. This is between Meghan and her dad.

I agree. We have to let them work this out in the way they see fit. I see the positive side of a meeting and talking.

Dman, you are not alone.

I agree. We have to let them work this out in the way they see fit. I see the positive side of a meeting and talking.

I, too, think that an attempt at rapprochement must be made. If the father and daughter did, indeed, have a reasonable relationship before this, then repairing it may be possible. If my elderly parent suddenly became unreasonable, I would want to find out the reasons for it myself. Having a short (and well-chaperoned)
meeting between Meghan (and Harry) and Markle Sr. might be enough to cool the situation off. Taking the high road can’t make Meghan look bad, and she will feel better for it.

Many children have forgiven their parents- and vice-versa- much worse things than indiscreet rambling to the press.

I agree. There is nothing to resolve. Meghan and Harry tried to help her father deal with the media attention and he threw it back in their face. From Tom, Sr. own mouth, he said they offered to come see him, but he told them not to. Then he hired a photographer to take pictures of him getting fitted for a suit. Harry and Meghan forgave him. Then he threw that in their face and began to collude with the press behind their back and sold them out. Meghan and Harry have done nothing wrong. When they realized that he did not want help and only wanted to sell them out, they cut off contact. In the position they are in in the British Royal Family, they can't have a close relationship with someone who is not trustworthy or dependable. He has proven he is a loose cannon and could easily twist any conversation they have or even make up a lie about something that was said in their conversations. If she does decide to talk to him, it will not be private for the reasons listed above. Tom, Sr. won't like that so talking to him will just make things worse. If Tom, Sr. can't stand up and be the father he is supposed to be, there will be no relationship. Tom Sr, Samantha, and Tom Jr. have made their own uncomfortable bed. They are going to have to lie in it. Just my opinion.

This is a man who publicly defends Samantha’s atrocious 2yr bullying. And even blames Meghan for it. No wonder he never spoke out to defend Meghan against this cruelty all that time.

Everyone is different but I’d find it hard to embrace a proven liar of a man who publicly insults & belittles my mum. A man who has no scruples dragging a long deceased woman into his mess in order to manipulate.

Let’s not forget that this is someone who courted the media. He contacted TMZ according to them. And he did that in the week leading up to the wedding and made it all about him.

Last edited:
All I’m saying, these folks have to meet and say some few syllables to each other or matters will get worse.

It was a mistake for Mr. Markle and Harry to not have met after the engagement announcement. That meeting should’ve taken place by now. The summer is here. The royals are off. Take this downtime to meet. Have a sit down with some cake and coffee or tea and talk.

If talks fail, then there’s nothing can be done. Over the phone won’t cut it. Face to face talks can go a long way.

Most of us would prefer Meghan not speak to her father again. That is where I am now. However, Thomas Markle is 74, and suppose something happens to him and they have not spoken or made peace? Do we really want that guilt and anguish for her? Think about it! Seriously!!

I am thinking maybe she needs to go see him, she and Harry and let him know things have changed between. Just be kind but lay it on the line firmly.

Meghan knows her dad so if she decides to meet with him and he shuts up and respects her pleas? Excellent! That would be the best outcome.

If she meets him and he still acts a fool, well then she tried and that is all you can do. Although I suspect many here would somehow change tune and find fault if she did meet up with him...

Both -Father and daughter- should be talking to each other. I could care less about Sam and Tom Jr., but at least Mr. Markle and Meghan can help calm things down between them.

You are right in that this is a situation that is not the ideal--but wanting and wishing it to be different isn't enough. It is very sad, but it is what it is.
I was an advocate for Meghan's dad until the GMB interview--and the info that he ignored Meghan's attempts to reach out to him right before and after the wedding. The only one who can fix this relationship is really Tom Markle Sr., if he turns himself around and stops talking to reporters.

Last edited:
:previous:
Zaria:
Maybe some would change their tune as you suggest yet I personally would never back any meeting between someone who has repeatedly betrayed me again and again all for money and attention on the world stage, that right there would destroy any chance of a meeting ever. And if that person who was the betrayer past on in life, so be it.......you move on with your life as it is the only life you have and that happened to me.....someone was so cruel and hateful to do what they did to a child and made life hell, break away and learn to live your own life and they pass on and not one tear ever fell for that parent ever to this every day. It takes total betrayal by someone to take that strong a stand in life.....for as I learned what we as individuals have is just this one time around and must make the very best of our life first........I sincerely hope Meghan know that and what a sacrifice it would be to have such a meeting with a parent who BETRAYED her time and time again.....Mental health is also one of the very reason a person needs and must take care of themselves first in life and that is a very hard lesson to learn.....but it can be done!

It was only 2 years ago she posted this message to her Instagram. Would be a shame if things can’t be repaired between them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djso0hYUYAA3nvf.jpg

That was then and this is now, and times change and sometimes you can't go back all because of what someone did to you to make you leave them behind, this is not on Meghan, this is on Sr, and Sam and Jr......they betrayed her, she did not betray them ever........they lied, they took money for interviews, they spoke of personal info, they threatened, they are the only ones responsible for this whole mess, not Meghan here. I am sick that some think this is Meghan's fault......HOW, please explain to me how this is the fault of a girl who ask them to be quiet, not talk to the media, and they Sr does this BEHIND her back......give me a break here.....

You are right in that this is a situation that is not the ideal--but wanting and wishing it to be different isn't enough. It is very sad, but it is what it is.
I was an advocate for Meghan's dad until the GMB interview--and the info that he ignored Meghan's attempts to reach out to him right before and after the wedding. The only one who can fix this relationship is really Tom Markle Sr., if he turns himself around and stops talking to reporters.

We know that Meghan and Tom Sr. love each other very much. We know that Meghan would like her dad to be part of her life and family. They just have to sit down and talk things through. Tom have to stop talking to the media about their problems, because the media have no business getting involved with their personal relationship.

I just hope things are worked out. There shouldn’t be any petty drama getting in between this family. Meghan need the support of both her parents and Harry and Tom should be establishing a good relationship with each other. Tom will be a grandfather to those Sussex babies in the future and I know he'll want to be a present grandad.

We know that Meghan and Tom Sr. love each other very much. We know that Meghan would like her dad to be part of her life and family. They just have to sit down and talk things through. Tom have to stop talking to the media about their problems, because the media have no business getting involved with their personal relationship.

I just hope things are worked out. There shouldn’t be any petty drama getting in between this family. Meghan need the support of both her parents and Harry and Tom should be establishing a good relationship with each other. Tom will be a grandfather to those Sussex babies in the future and I know he'll want to be a present grandad.

I agree with all you've said, it is awful when a family is torn apart. I just don't see how it is possible to work things out unless Dad chooses a different path. Maybe Meghan & Harry could make him understand the situation if he doesn't and forgive him if he changes, but that is a big IF.

As far as reconciling with Samantha--I don't think that will ever occur as Samantha doesn't want that and she has been pretty clear about her feelings about Meghan over the past 2 years. She has been truly hateful.

The Mirror is putting out more details on this "family reunion"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ghan-markle-prime-mover-decision-13037689.amp

Meghan allegedly instructed palace staff to call Dad. If this is true this shows she still doesn't trust him or she would have called him herself. I still think the meeting is a bad idea but it looks like she's going to call the shots. With KP staff involved it's on the record what transpires. Location would be set by the palace to lessen the chance the tabloids will be bugging the room. Dad may be searched for audio or video devices and also have his cell phone confiscated before talks begin. If dad gives an interview to Piers or anyone, or it gets back to the half sibs and they talk Dad will be cut off for good. Dad can forget future royal grandchildren and not count on a Sussex child take a Markle family name.

I do think that a face-to-face meeting should have happened before the engagement was announced. Especially since at that point the intention was for Tom Markle to be part of the wedding; they even asked him to join them in announcing the engagement.

I can't help suspecting that Markle tried to parlay that (His participation in the wedding) into certain conditions - conditions that Meghan had no intention of fulfilling.

Maybe it concerned a blanket invitation for other family members, maybe it involved financial support...I don't know.

But I do believe some form of extortion was part of it.

Honestly, I think it is a stretch saying that we know these two people "love each other very much" .... we don't know that. There is no way we can know that. It is best to let the parties involved make these decisions.

@Mirabel - I don't know about the engagement announcement but if Dad demands money at this alleged meeting he crosses into extortion. If he doesn't want the Miranda warning read to him he better not try.

That was then and this is now, and times change and sometimes you can't go back all because of what someone did to you to make you leave them behind, this is not on Meghan, this is on Sr, and Sam and Jr......they betrayed her, she did not betray them ever........they lied, they took money for interviews, they spoke of personal info, they threatened, they are the only ones responsible for this whole mess, not Meghan here. I am sick that some think this is Meghan's fault......HOW, please explain to me how this is the fault of a girl who ask them to be quiet, not talk to the media, and they Sr does this BEHIND her back......give me a break here.....
How right you are ! Of course !:flowers:

No, we don't know that. Tom's action show that he loves himself far more than his daughter. It could be that he is incapable of showing the love that might be somewhere deep down. Meghan so far indeed showed that she cares (her own words!) about her father by repeatedly forgiving him for his stupid actions and still wanting him to be part of her wedding. And currently, she clearly doesn't want him in her life or he would have been able to contact her directly and she would be talking to him regularly.

I think most of us hope that things work out but not because of all the blackmailing but because I would wish that for any family. I don't see how Meghan needs the support of a man who has shown no respect for her boundaries nor is willing to follow her requests that she set in place to support her in this journey. Normalizing the situation somewhat would be great but I don't see him ever having an important role in her support system (he is currently the one she needs to be protected from!). In other situations, it would of course be great if family members support you when entering a new life but unfortunately Meghan is not that lucky.

If he truly wants to be a present granddad he should start with the grandchildren he has. I am afraid he mainly is interested in them because of their father and because they will be in line to the British throne.

But as you said yourself, it's all up to Meghan and not to either one of us. So, maybe we should leave out the 'should' this and 'have to' that.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it is a stretch saying that we know these two people "love each other very much" .... we don't know that. There is no way we can know that. It is best to let the parties involved make these decisions.

Before all this mess got out of hand, both Tom and Meghan have spoken very lovingly about each other. We do know the mutual love is there, but of course parents and children have their ups and downs. That’s just the facts of life.

People have to put their own anger over the Markle Debacle to aside and let any form of meetings take place. The only ones that can calm the waters for a more peaceful family future is Tom and Meghan.

Please tell me how you or anyone knows just what Meghan is thinking? I do not know what she wants to do and it is Her decision and some forget here one very important FACT.......she has someone in her life that has lived through this time of betrayal and hate, her HUSBAND and if anyone is an influence on her that would be Harry first and foremost.........she will want to make the very best decisions for herself and her marriage going forth........

Maybe some here do not understand betrayal or the lack of TRUST between people for they might not have experienced that in life. Meghan has experienced that starting before her marriage by Sam and then Jr and now her father.....I would not wish that man to be anyone's father on this earth, would anyone here? Just take a very long look at this other children and how he treats them, Meghan is all he cares about and it shows all the time......why, she married a member of the BRF that is the only reason he wants contact with her...not love that a parent has for a child for he has shown no love for Meghan and why can;t people see that?

People have to put their own anger over the Markle Debacle to aside and let any form of meetings take place. The only ones that can calm the waters for a more peaceful family future is Tom and Meghan.

People don't have to do anything as people have absolutely nothing to do with the situation at all. All people can do is look at things from the outside looking in and comment and have opinions on it all. What happens, happens. :D

Letter to Dad, delivered by palace lawyers. You have made it crystal clear that you do not love or respect me. I accept and will say good-bye. If you change your mind and accept my terms, let me know, through the lawyers. Meg

Before all this mess got out of hand, both Tom and Meghan have spoken very lovingly about each other. We do know the mutual love is there, but of course parents and children have their ups and downs. That’s just the facts of life.

Nobody is doing anything to prevent Tom and Meghan from meeting (well, except for Tom himself, the tabloids who work with him and anyone who is setting him up against his own daughter). So, I don't see what role 'people' could have in all of this.

Before all this mess happened Meghan and her dad didn't think it important enough for Tom to meet Harry, so not a sign of them having a close relationship at all (they might have had at some point in the past but that's not a reason for people who don't know them to force them into meeting each other because he is blackmailing her. He clearly wasn't that important in her life but suddenly wants to be very important just because she became a royal duchess... and is willing to make her life as hard as possible. Not so loving...

Samantha's story keeps changing. Her publicist, Rob Cooper and the Sun's Dan Wootton are friends.

I agree with many of you and Osipi. Trip to U.S. is Rumour. Just that a rumour. If it were a secret trip then we wouldn't hear about it.
Meghan is trying to get pregnant and doesn't need negative Markle debacles dogging her every thought. I firmly believe in striving for happy harmonious families. But what we have seen from the Markles is that they don't want this. Very sad situation. No one here would want their private life and thoughts splashed all over the front pages.
I would prefer to see our newly weds keep to themselves and carry on with their duties and hopefully start a family very soon.
Once settled into a routine then they can see about dealing with Dad.
The silent treatment I believe is best for now.
And yes I would love to see Doria move to the UK when Harry and Meghan are blessed with a little one. Even if it is only for a month or two. A new Mum needs that nurturing help from her own mum.

Just my opinion folks.

Nobody is doing anything to prevent Tom and Meghan from meeting (well, except for Tom himself, the tabloids who work with him and anyone who is setting him up against his own daughter). So, I don't see what role 'people' could have in all of this.

Before all this mess happened Meghan and her dad didn't think it important enough for Tom to meet Harry, so not a sign of them having a close relationship at all (they might have had at some point in the past but that's not a reason for people who don't know them to force them into meeting each other because he is blackmailing her. He clearly wasn't that important in her life but suddenly wants to be very important just because she became a royal duchess... and is willing to make her life as hard as possible. Not so loving...

Oh, I think her father did think it important, absolutely no doubt in my mind that is where all this came from. The fact that Meghan didn't think it important to introduce her fiance speaks volumes.

He was important enough for her to send him Father's Day posts from her Instagram account and various other mentions right up until the day of the wedding. Or was all that just a facade to keep the outside world from knowing how broken their relationship was and had been for years?

The most fortunate thing about Meghan's father initially being too cowardly to look Meghan, Harry, the Queen, etc in the eye after getting caught staging photos is that he never met Harry or had any actual interaction with the Royal family. That's the trump card Meghan and Harry currently have, but once they give it up it's gone forever. Right now the only actual scandal is the British tabloids exploitation of her family. Meghan meets with her father and she legitmatizes and validates him and all future comments he makes to the media. Italso opens up claims he was paid off for his silence, which the media would then turn into an actual scandal. Misuse of tax payer funds Eve 8f they aren't technically tax payer funds is what gets
the Royals in actual scandal. It's the cover up that always gets people in trouble. There's reason the media is pushing for a meeting because otherwise the story is dead. Anyone wanting Meghan and Harry to meet her father has to justify why that's worth the risk of giving up the trump card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom