The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And as long as they keeping yapping, the tabloids will keep printing it.

The tabloids will continue to print what they print because it fits a narrative they long decided on. They have to fill the column pages somehow.

The tabloids will continue to print these stories as long as they can make money out of them. If people stopped clicking on the articles they would stop writing them.

When people went after the press for literally hounding Diana to death one of the top paparazzi (a British guy who was in all the documentaries at the time although I can't remember his name) said something of the like of "you complain about us but you're the ones who bought the papers".

This is basically what Omid Scobie said on last week's episode of On Heir - If we stop reading the articles they'll stop writing them.

Tom Sykes flipping his opinion is actually really interesting. He has been notoriously hard on Harry and Meghan, so for him to come to their defense is fascinating. Thomas Sr is just proving to the world that he is an awful person. No one is buying his "poor, naive" act anymore and thank goodness. These recent interviews killed whatever pity people had left for him.

He will get his headlines today and tomorrow Harry and Meghan are back in public with another engagement. So the focus will shift again. I am grateful Meghan really has support from her mother, husband, close friends, and now her new family. That is all she needs and the Markles can seethe.

And another piece: https://www.the-pool.com/news-views...arkle-complicated-families-and-absent-fathers

So glad people are calling him out. Samantha is on the defense but there is nothing to defend.

Last edited:

Finally but it only seems to be US publications that are actually putting it all together. UK publications are still paying him with the sole purpose of embarrassing and emotionally abusing his daughter. Put away your hatred for Meghan and ask is it right to emotionally abuse and manipulate any child. The UK press are aiding and abetting this man in his emotional abuse and bullying of his daughter and it is not right.

aiding and abetting this man in his emotional abuse and bullying of his daughter and it is not right.

*Hold the Front Page*..

Since when has any 'media' anywhere not capitalised on Family dysfunction when it could make them Money ?
The reality is they always have and always will, so it is unrealistic to expect them to change.
It is SOLELY Markle Sr who is responsible for selling his Daughter 'down the [proverbial] River'.

If he shut his mouth, and his wallet, none of this would be happening.

Last edited:
*sigh* Tom Markle. Again. Ugh. Now, I will say that I, too, see Meghan's smile being a little dimmer or tighter and her overall demeanor appears a bit more on edge and nervous and she appears to have toned down that over eager vivaciousness that we saw from her previously. But, I think that's probably a combination of a lot of things and certainly not to be solely blamed on the royal family. In fact, I'd say that most of it has to do with her own family and certainly with her father. Combine that with the full force of joining the royal family, learning about a new position and a new role and a new country, settling into marriage, and being constantly scrutinized by the press and the public and I think anyone's smile would be a bit forced and their demeanor a bit dimmed.

They should go...

...to see Meghan’s mother sometime this summer. And while they are there, arrange to see Mr. Markle in a hotel- get him a room. That way, Harry could meet him, and Meghan could be seen to be taking the high road.

She really doesn’t want to risk his dying with this issue unresolved.

Show him the wedding pictures and some snaps of their home, keep the conversation light. This way, he doesn’t have to travel, there’s no issue of his meeting the family and talking about it to the press, and Meghan and Harry will have done the right thing. Maybe even have a picture taken together.

Short, sweet, and it would leave very little for him to talk to the press about. This is how they ‘vaccinate’ themselves against charges of cruel neglect (perceived). He is her father, and he isn’t exactly evil, just foolish.

*sigh* Tom Markle. Again. Ugh. Now, I will say that I, too, see Meghan's smile being a little dimmer or tighter and her overall demeanor appears a bit more on edge and nervous and she appears to have toned down that over eager vivaciousness that we saw from her previously. But, I think that's probably a combination of a lot of things and certainly not to be solely blamed on the royal family. In fact, I'd say that most of it has to do with her own family and certainly with her father. Combine that with the full force of joining the royal family, learning about a new position and a new role and a new country, settling into marriage, and being constantly scrutinized by the press and the public and I think anyone's smile would be a bit forced and their demeanor a bit dimmed.

I honestly think it has more to do with the events. We got a bit of that vivaciousness when they were at the sports complex with the kids. It was almost like back to one of their engagements during the engagement tour. In general, I do think people feed off the energy of those around them. If the event is generally demur, then yea, they'll be calmer. But if the crowd has a lot of excitement, then their demeanor will also reflect.

There is a backdrop to the Ireland tour that we, as royal watchers, didn't see a lot of or discussed a lot in the press (which is appropriate), and that's the security issue. While the security relaxed since the last time the Queen was there, it was still unbelievably tight. Omid reported that when they did the walkabout, there were 11 people just surrounding them, plus on rooftops and such. That has to be a concern as well. I did notice their walkabout were much more controlled, even from Harry.

*Hold the Front Page*..

I like this. A lot. :lol: This could be the new shut the front door.

Last edited by a moderator:
*. Combine that with the full force of joining the royal family, learning about a new position and a new role and a new country, settling into marriage, and being constantly scrutinized by the press and the public and I think anyone's smile would be a bit forced and their demeanor a bit dimmed.
I am honestly positively surprised how Meghan deals with it all. That father of her's is a typical example of those egoistic fathers who can see their cvhild only as a belonging, but noone to respect. I personally think it is not so bad for Maghan (or that there is at least a bit of light in all this) because it makes people sympathize with her, at least those who have a bit of experience with dysfunctional families. And I am sure Harry and William have a lot of understanding after having had to deal with their parents' public shenanigans and scandals. Plus I like the way Catherine reacts to Meghan on taking her by the hand - it was cute to see how Meghan looks to her or Harry for clues and tries to react immediately, doing all she can not to stand in the sun and casting shadows on Catherine.

...to see Meghan’s mother sometime this summer. And while they are there, arrange to see Mr. Markle in a hotel- get him a room. That way, Harry could meet him, and Meghan could be seen to be taking the high road.

Show him the wedding pictures and some snaps of their home, keep the conversation light. This way, he doesn’t have to travel, there’s no issue of his meeting the family and talking about it to the press, and Meghan and Harry will have done the right thing. Maybe even have a picture taken together.

Short, sweet, and it would leave very little for him to talk to the press about. This is how they ‘vaccinate’ themselves against charges of cruel neglect (perceived). He is her father, and he isn’t exactly evil, just foolish.

More of a diplomatic meeting. That would be painful for Meghan but on the other hand he is not going away. Strategic mediation is needed in this matter. Meghan can't talk to him because he will spill or tape that conversation. Perhaps a benign greeting card.

*Hold the Front Page*..

Since WHEN has any 'media' anywhere not capitalised on Family dysfunction when it could make them Money ?
The reality is they always have and always will, so it is unrealistic to expect them to change.
It is SOLELY Markle Sr who is responsible for 'selling his Daughter 'down the proverbial River'.
If he SHUT his mouth, and his wallet, none of this would be happening.

I stand by my thoughts. The UK media is selling the narrative or the poor victimized Dad to shame and embarrass Meghan, Tom Sr. is using the media's need to shame Meghan to make a buck. It is a marriage of equals.

Noone is asking questions just reporting what is fed to them in order to shame Meghan. Hence they are both aiding and abetting each other.

No no and no. Talk about rewarding bad behavior.

The problem with this scenario is the very clear and present risk that what happened at the hotel ends up plastered all over the tabloids within 48 hours.

Better yet, the old "take me out to the ballgame" ploy would work. Very public, very scheduled meet and greet and very superficial conversations as there would be a "trusted" royal reporter following them (I nominate Arthur Edwards).

Sure, it would turn seeing Daddy into a PR stunt and would most likely embarrass the heck out of Mr. Markle but what the heck, isn't this the kind of game he's been playing all along? It would also leave no room for any kind of speculation as both parties are out in the open and what happens is witnessed.

It's noteworthy, that Mr Markle seems to lament the fact, that he's not allowed to make profit out of Meghan and her marriage. He's pretty much saying, that he will do whatever he wants, he will give interviews if he wants, he will spill any info he wants, and Meghan needs to get over it. It's her duty as his daughter to respect him, and he's not giving her any space either. He also said, that Meghan should use her actress skills to heal the rift between his other children. To me that sounds like a very unhealthy relationship.

Exactly! She doesn’t have to do anything for him. He’s emotionally abusing her. She needs to keep him as far away from her life as possible. He’s not remorseful or contrite. He’s a narcissist, vying for attention.

The Sun posted a new article saying it would be the "Final interview" this time placing the blame on the two half siblings and telling them to leave her alone.

I think it might be removed but just a heads up he is talking out both sides of his mouth. Working with the half siblings and then blaming the half siblings so typical playing both sides against Meghan. I believe its called triangulation.

I agree - I think this is the most prudent next step. He is not going away. By coming to California.. and meeting there H&M can explain to him AGAIN that he may not speak to the press if he wants a relationship with his daughter at all... essentially this will be a test. And the message should be delivered in person.

One of the things that really irritates me are the quotes about how he wants to meet the Queen - what does that have to do with mending fences with his daughter? It was similar to his 11th hour change of his mind on the wedding where he said he wanted to be part of history. This gives the connotation of a very large ego in play (odd for a recluse and more of what i would expect from Samantha and Tom Jr). However there must be some ego there, as the perception of how HE is portrayed in the press seems to have been the driving factor in all of his poor decisions thus far.

I think there needs to be another attempt to assuage the situation - It will only continue to boil and explode once she becomes pregnant. Hopefully it can be calmed down to some point and if everyone behaves perhaps Tom can meet the inlaws at the Christening.

Last edited:
No no and no. Talk about rewarding bad behavior.

This isn’t about rewarding Mr. Markle and his bad behavior. It’s about removing Meghan and Harry from a position in which they can be criticized. How about these headlines:

Thomas Markle Dies; Had Not
Seen his Daughter since 2015

Duchess Flies to US to Attend Funeral of Estranged Father

If the Sussexs are seen to make an effort, and have an anodyne 3O minute visit with him, yes, he may talk thereafter; but then the relationship will have ended on their terms.

She may never forgive his behavior, but he is her father. And she will be severely criticized if she is seen to make no attempt to rectify things. It’s not her fault that her family is acting badly. But the guilt and blame will all fall on her shoulders if it ends this way.

I’m sure they don’t want to make this effort, but they have the time and the wherewithal to make the trip. Have the meeting in a public place with a few well-chosen eavesdroppers nearby. Sometimes you have to resort to a painful remedy to heal a wound.

If Meghan meets with him, it will be all over the tabloids in minutes!
He can't be trusted; he can claim she said all sorts of things, and short of denying it, what recourse would she have?

It's sad to say, but she had better keep him at a distance, or she will regret it, imo.

From reading all the above on this man and how he so disrespects his daughter and is emotionally blackmailing her and Harry the only thing I hope she does is so walk away and never look back. I know this works for a fact as I did the very same thing to my father that was just plain evil and that lasted till his death and I never cried one damn tear....at 18 and learned to live MY life and work on me from that time on......no one is born to be subservient to another even a parent. No, to any meeting in Ca ever or anywhere....not in private nor in public, and never look back on people wanting to tear you down........NEVER!

I think there needs to be another attempt to assuage the situation - It will only continue to boil and explode once she becomes pregnant. Hopefully it can be calmed down to some point and if everyone behaves perhaps Tom can meet the inlaws at the Christening.

I think she has attempted enough. At some point you have to protect yourself. I doubt all we have seen publicly is all that has occurred. If Meghan has reached the point of changing her number and the KP liaison has ignored him, then clearly they have reached their limit.

The Markles just want to exploit Meghan. That has become clear and I think the day Meghan announces a pregnancy they will all be right back in the media. So it is likely for the best she has distanced herself. Who needs that stress?

Never reward bad behavior. Thomas Snr wants a reaction from Meghan and the palace. He is not getting it so he lashes out. In all his interviews he has subtly threatened the BRF. Who does that? He is emotionally abusing his child. Frankly he has showed his true colors and at this point the royals needs to steer clear of him.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex do not have time for such overdone excess from estranged relations. Meghan's Dad was offered the opportunity to be brought into the royal fold. He declined out of ignorance, stupidity, pride or all three, etc. Frankly, I don't believe Meghan has been too close with her Dad for years. There's obviously been ups and downs. Yet she clearly has kept in touch with him, or she wouldn't have informed him when she began dating Prince Harry.

It's fortunate that the media never located her Dad until sometime after the engagement announcement! I think the older siblings have been a thorn in the Dad's side since forever with their bickering and their bitterness. Likely, Meghan's growing success on Suits had led to further jealousy from the half-sobsters. But as someone posted on the recent Tom Sr. DF story, nobody knew or cared back then. Meghan had become successful in Toronto, but she was still an under-the-radar star on a successful, but not widely watched cable television series, so there was no interest by the press in baiting her family members to tell-all. Therefore, the crazy family drama was not publicly broadcast until Prince Harry entered the picture. Meghan had survived her divorce, the Markles, and her parents' break-up and moved on with her life. I'm sure her Dad was supportive and helpful as she was struggling to make it in Hollywood, and proud once she did make it by landing Suits.

However, the older sibs were probably fit-to-be-tied once Meghan began making a lot of money and garnering increasing success in Toronto, especially since Sam & Tom Jr. both appear to squabble over and covet money. That could be one reason why Markle Sr. decamped to Mexico to get out of their line of fire. But he cluelessly had to be listening to Sam's rants and meddling 'advice' to have begun engaging with the tabloid press himself. That's the road Markle Sr. went down which has cooked his goose with the Palace. Meghan may be heartbroken, but I think she had a good cry and then (with Harry's support) she got over her Dad and his betrayals soon after he blabbed to TMZ about not going to the wedding. Once he was confirmed unable to go for medical reasons, that was it. Not being at your daughter's wedding is unthinkable. I'm sure he was offered help, and any medical problems could have been attended to earlier had he been willing to go to London sooner. He allowed himself to be dragged down by his own pride, anxiety and the nagging by his older offspring. It kind of seems to me that he was uneasy about attending the wedding anyway. Maybe he wanted to go, but was conflicted.

To be honest, I actually do not think Markle Sr. was truly wanted at the royal wedding after his first faux pas, despite spin to the contrary. How can he be trusted? He can't be. The morning show appearance definitely sealed his fate. At least before he made that bonehead decision, Meghan was still in contact with him. By appearing on the British morning show that was definitely the final straw/ nail in the coffin of estrangement. Although, I still think Markle Sr. was obviously used by Piers Morgan and crew.

In any case, the Markles have now made pretty much all the big money they are going to off of Meghan's royal fame. I think the big bucks leeching is over, although the press may not be completely through with trying to wring them for trash-talking. They all just need to go away.

OMG re the additional stuff Markle Sr said (apparently to The Sun) about Meghan's 'pained' smile. :ermm: Please, Mr. Markle, you are only adding to any discomfort she might be feeling. If Meghan is at all anguished right now, it has to be due to having to overcome the specter of odd family members such as yourself trying to tear her down, when this should be the happiest time of her life. Good grief!

From reading all the above on this man and how he so disrespects his daughter and is emotionally blackmailing her and Harry the only thing I hope she does is so walk away and never look back. I know this works for a fact as I did the very same thing to my father that was just plain evil and that lasted till his death and I never cried one damn tear....at 18 and learned to live MY life and work on me from that time on......no one is born to be subservient to another even a parent. No, to any meeting in Ca ever or anywhere....not in private nor in public, and never look back on people wanting to tear you down........NEVER!

You're like my spirit animal when it comes to this mess of a family.

There is an overused quote, but it fits this situation fairly. "Fool me once, shame on YOU. Fool me twice, shame on ME." I'm sorry, but short of a phone call to check in on him (and then monitor the channels to see if he bleats about the conversation to the press), the DoS should not be MANIPULATED into any sort of meeting with her father. Just because he was once "daddy" doesn't mean you disregard his very bad behaviour after her trying all of the time. Yes he's her father, however she doesn't deserve to be emotionally blackmailed by him. She needed to nip it in the butt so to speak, and it seems like she has. If he had learnt his lesson and not gone to the press again, maybe he would still have her number and maybe he would still be talking with her. However, he seems to be the type who is a glutton for punishment, so his punishment is banishment from his daughter and her new family.

This isn’t about rewarding Mr. Markle and his bad behavior. It’s about removing Meghan and Harry from a position in which they can be criticized. How about these headlines:

If the Sussexs are seen to make an effort, and have an anodyne 3O minute visit with him, yes, he may talk thereafter; but then the relationship will have ended on their terms.

She may never forgive his behavior, but he is her father. And she will be severely criticized if she is seen to make no attempt to rectify things. It’s not her fault that her family is acting badly. But the guilt and blame will all fall on her shoulders if it ends this way.

I’m sure they don’t want to make this effort, but they have the time and the wherewithal to make the trip. Have the meeting in a public place with a few well-chosen eavesdroppers nearby. Sometimes you have to resort to a painful remedy to heal a wound.

You are not taking into account the fact that she has a very legitimate reason to stay away and that was played out in the public eye. There is no anonymous source on anything. We know because it's right there.

The tide keeps turning. Seems like KP and Meghan made the right decision by choosing not to engage or do anything about it.

https://jezebel.com/meghan-markle-s-dad-is-really-bumming-me-out-these-days-1827623578

We also have to consider the fact that Meghan no longer just has herself to think about. Like it or not, she's not in a typical situation. She does have a duty to not only protect her new family, but the institution as well.

Last edited:
Apparently Samantha called into the Wendy Williams show and dropped a hint she was part of Celebrity Big Brother. I had been hearing this rumor but good grief. These Markles.

:previous: I've never watched any Big Brother show, and this latest non-celeb addition won't get me to either. Blah!

Her father is the cause of the wound and if he really wanted to see her he would stop hurting her. Whether he dies or not without seeing her is all down to him; he could have been close to her like her mother or like the Middleton's to Will and Kate but he CHOOSES to continue talking thereby choosing the consequences. Whatever the headlines are this is about Meghan herself and her wellbeing, her father is an emotionally abusive manipulative man and you don't engage with people who have behavior like that! She has cut him off and things should stay that way.

Apparently Samantha called into the Wendy Williams show and dropped a hint she was part of Celebrity Big Brother. I had been hearing this rumor but good grief. These Markles.

In her dreams maybe. The insurance on letting someone with MS and is wheelchair bound participate in this alone with make it a nonstarter.

One thing I've noticed is that these latest "whines" (serve the man some cheese please to go with them) that Mr. Markle has run to The Sun with, just happens to coincide with the release of Prince Louis' christening portraits and its all over every publication and news feed. Beautiful picture of Meghan with her new family. Acting like a family and being a family and smiling and happy because of the birth of a new wee one. That had to sting.

It goes totally against the grain of how Mr. Markle paints her smile as "pained". I've yet to see that anywhere. Most appearances that we've seen Meghan at, she is actually "working" and like the rest of the British royals, when they work, they put on their "game face" just as they put on what clothes they are wearing.

Thomas Markle, Sr. has stated that he's done his last interview. I'll believe that when I don't see it or hear about him any longer. Not going to hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom