The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no advocate for Tom Markle but he knows his daughter, and if he says she looks pained at times I believe him, unfortunately.

No he doesn't. He clearly doesn't know anything about this woman and proves it constantly. Honestly the only times Meghan looks noticeably off all had to do with him and his other children. Her life probably would be a lot less stressful if he just went away and left her alone. His comments are a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time an article pops up about them, I roll my eyes. So over them and their nonsense. I don't even read those. If her father wanted in, he should have curbed his desire to completely embarrass her in public.

BTW...I really don't want this thread to close, so let's just ignore the family dynamics of the Markle family.
You are right, if we pay no attention it would be better. Poor Meghan:flowers:

I don't like the Markles as most of you know, and I certainly believe that Tom should just shut up.

However, his remark about Meghan's smile looking pained on some public engagements resonated with me. I've followed her since October 2016 and it does seem to me that at times the spark that she used to have seems to have dimmed somewhat.

It has nothing whatever to do with what Tom went on to rant about, the attitudes and customs of the BRF, which he doesn't understand. I believe that the Royal family have been warm and welcoming to Meghan. However, I also believe that the British media, including the tabloids, have been in attack mode since last November.

the British tabloids have attacked her for protocol. However, it hasn't stopped there. There have been critiques on her feminist credentials, her hugging people (in Scotland,) dress sense, bringing the monarchy into disrepute/trying to 'bring down an age old institution' by her demeanour and so-called attitudes, and on and on in the same mode.

It's easy to dismiss these tabloids, especially the Fail, but the fact is they are read by millions and can form opinion in Britain. This is a very new member of the Royal family who is trying very hard to fit in. Frankly, I have seen Meghan looking subdued and a little bit confused at times on more formal occasions, and I know it must be so very difficult for her, and how painful the continuing negativity of the Press in her husband's country must be.

I'm no advocate for Tom Markle but he knows his daughter, and if he says she looks pained at times I believe him, unfortunately.

Then perhaps Thomas Markle ought to consider the impact of his relentless exploitation of Meghan in the media, the constant lies for cash, emotional manipulation, bullying, the implied threats and unbecoming behaviour of the so-called loving parent & members of his own family. And their gross sense of entitlement.

Imo and as bad as it is, unfair media criticism or attacks on public personalities are nothing new. Meghan has also dealt with racism, been an activist. These are ways of life she’s lived with and is used to. And I don’t think I ever noticed her subdued or dragged down, because she’s a strong determined woman.

Being betrayed frequently in the most awful manner by a parent who continues to show he has no boundary but whom you cared for, is a completely different kettle of fish. My opinion. It must take Olympian efforts to diminish the impact of such behaviour or try dress it up any other way.

But it isn't just Tom and the rest of the Markles, is it? And I'm certainly not discounting the awful effect Tom's antics and statements had, especially in the lead up to the wedding. And he should shut up and speak to Meghan privately if he has to.

However, IMO it's a bit too easy to offload all the problems on to the Markle family and to say that they are to wholly to blame for some of the genuine sparkle and enthusiasm I saw in Meghan in her engagement period becoming somewhat dimmed more recently.

The Markles and Tom aren't to blame for articles insinuating that Meghan with her feminist and American ways is hellbent on changing the British Royal family and their way of doing things.

That's what I meant by Meghan's pained expression in my earlier post. I don't know whether she reads all or any or those articles. But in my view the cumulative effect must be that they hurt. Meghan hasn't been given a chance to shine so far, and to me that is an enormous shame.

I don't think he is all the issue but I think he is a majority of it. Most the attacks against her come from what the media use from the Markles. That is just fact. Attacking her feminism and career as an actress and whatnot is ridiculous but honestly her achievement speak for themselves. That is why those attempts typically go nowhere. It is her paternal family's attacks that typically are the major headline news. And I would say at this point Thomas and Samantha are her biggest villains with the help of the media.

Meghan will never be given a real chance to shine for many reasons but we can all pin point the main one. It is a shame but it is what it is and I think she walked in knowing it since they have been attacking her since day one.

Last edited:
Well, he certainly doesn’t understand the phrase lay low and let it blow over, does he?

My assessment of the man continues to be an overt sense of self-importance and fragile ego of a man who is likely the shell of what he once was.

Well he is telling The Sun he plans on going to London with or without an invitation. Good luck with that. Hope you enjoy the tourist sights because you won't be seeing Meghan.

While one can see a change in Meghan, it may be less substantive than apparent, having more to do with how and where we see her now, in what venues. :cool:

Prior to November it was all to do with her career as an actress, and then we saw her in the engagement interview. Lots of energy, lots of opportunities for personality to be expressed to the camera. But in fact nothing comparable has taken place since the engagement interview, just 'set pieces' that require a 'sombre mien', Meghan making sure she is paying attention to protocol and who goes first, photo calls whose viewing is limited by the location of the camera, a lot of watching her watching others. All that doesn't lend itself to a bubbly effusive 'image'. If it did we'd have another Sarah Ferguson in front of us who 'plays' to everyone. Meghan doesn't do that, so she seems to have changed but she may not have done so. Or I sincerely hope she hasn't. :flowers:

It is my one fear for her and has been from the outset: that her spirit will be crushed. However, I think what is taking place is the formulation of a public royal persona which requires very little of her personality to be in evidence (so far). She has had two occasions where she spoke publicly. In the end she may find herself having a great deal in common with Prince Charles in this regard: endlessly pilloried by the tabloid press and the public that goes along with that, but yet 'privately' does her work and charms as she goes. :flowers:

I do not understand why the Royal family and Megan take care of the father and teach him to shut up, he is not helping his daughter !

I think the most difficult part for her is going from a life where it’s about self promotion. Celebrity, Lifestyle blog, Instagram and the like, to a life where’s she’s now required to be a team player. It’s about promoting the institution, not the individual. Monarchy works because everyone knows their place sort of speak.

She’ll eventually find her stride. I think the upcoming six month Samantha Cohen ‘boot camp’ will go a long way to helping her out.

While one can see a change in Meghan, it may be less substantive than apparent, having more to do with how and where we see her now, in what venues. :cool:

Prior to November it was all to do with her career as an actress, and then we saw her in the engagement interview. Lots of energy, lots of opportunities for personality to be expressed to the camera. But in fact nothing comparable has taken place since the engagement interview, just 'set pieces' that require a 'sombre mien', Meghan making sure she is paying attention to protocol and who goes first, photo calls whose viewing is limited by the location of the camera, a lot of watching her watching others. All that doesn't lend itself to a bubbly effusive 'image'. If it did we'd have another Sarah Ferguson in front of us who 'plays' to everyone. Meghan doesn't do that, so she seems to have changed but she may not have done so. Or I sincerely hope she hasn't. :flowers

It is my one fear for her and has been from the outset: that her spirit will be crushed. However, I think what is taking place is the formulation of a public royal persona which requires very little of her personality to be in evidence (so far). She has had two occasions where she spoke publicly. In the end she may find herself having a great deal in common with Prince Charles in this regard: endlessly pilloried by the tabloid press and the public that goes along with that, but yet 'privately' does her work and charms as she goes. :flowers:
So agree with your post:flowers: The Markle family are yesterday's news; I so agree with 'you can choose your friends but not your family':bang: I so hope that the Duchess turns a blind eye and deaf ear to criticism and continues in her journey towards being a valued member of the BRF That the Queen and Duchesses have singled her out for special attention speaks volumes; the Duchess of Sussex has chosen a difficult task but together with her supporters among the peoples of the Commonwealth, we can make it work:flowers:

That man does not blame the media with whom he is in cahoots with, he blames Meghan's new family. His remarks are self serving and manipulative. If she is not smiling as she used to perhaps its because her so called Dad continues to sell her out, continues to harm her husband and continues to behave in an unbecoming manner.

I'm not going to soften that man's actions because he is the cause of her pain.

Exactly. I simply cannot take this man or anything he says seriously at this point, as it's painfully obvious that he has an agenda.

And I can't say I've noticed any difference in Meghan's smile. It still seems as genuine and bright as it's always been. She does seem more cautious and nervous at times but that is understandable, given that she's in a completely new/different environment. I fully expect her to loosen more up more in time.

Meghan dropped social media a long time ago and she knows how to be a team player. She was part of an ensemble for 7 years. I really don't think she has issues knowing her place as much as people love to remind her of it. That has been shown plenty.

It will be an adjustments as it would be for anyone making a drastic change like she did moving to a new country and adapting. I think her biggest challenge is just ignoring the press but it seems she got that down.

Samantha Cohen is a great addition to their team though. I felt similarly with Catherine Quinn with Kate. They need these women in their corners to help them transition and succeed.

Last edited:
Well he is telling The Sun he plans on going to London with or without an invitation. Good luck with that. Hope you enjoy the tourist sights because you won't be seeing Meghan.

See this is one of the parts that just didn’t make sense to me. How does he expect to go see his daughter in London with or without an invite? I’m really confused at this point about who he thinks is pissed at him? Meghan or Harry? Or the BRF? Why is he blaming the BRF for Meghan being pissed at him? He’s still stuck on the photo gate as if that’s his only mistake. Although I think letting him know the GMB interview and this is a mistake at this point is fruitless. I read a book recently that talked about interpersonal relationships and management and how no one likes to be told of their mistakes and will try to justify it in their minds. Even regarding things that are far worse.

I found it interesting his harping on the clothes. IMO this sounds more like it originated with jealous Samantha than Thomas SR. I don't know many (any) 73 year old men who comment on fashion or skirt length. It just doesn't ring true to me. I think Samantha strikes again.:ermm:

I found it interesting his harping on the clothes. IMO this sounds more like it originated with jealous Samantha than Thomas SR. I don't know many (any) 73 year old men who comment on fashion or skirt length. It just doesn't ring true to me. I think Samantha strikes again.:ermm:

Wouldn’t surprise me. He strikes me as a man that listens to whoever is the last person he talked to. I will keep my comments on Samantha to myself so I don’t get banned.

I do not understand why the Royal family and Megan take care of the father and teach him to shut up, he is not helping his daughter ! Unless he has some type of dementia, but somebody in the right mind knows that she should to stop talking to the media about his daughter

I don't know what more they can do at this point. Thomas has said more than once he was offered help. He was being taken care of. He admits he screwed up but seems to not care how it has hurt his daughter. Instead he says things like, "I should be able to sell teacups with her face on it." I mean what? Meghan tried and he stomped all over it. Now she is done. Can you really blame her?

These weird threats he is making through the press just proves he doesn't care about his relationship with Meghan. He just wants to be a part of the royal circle and it kills him that Doria is welcomed with open arms and he has to run to the likes of TMZ to try and get their attention. Let him try this stunt though. It will end badly.

I do not understand why the Royal family and Megan take care of the father and teach him to shut up, he is not helping his daughter ! Unless he has some type of dementia, but somebody in the right mind knows that she should to stop talking to the media about his daughter

You hit the nail on the head! :sad: He is fuddled. It's so clear. His behavior from the moment of the pictures has indicated such. If he were able to be dealt with, his children would be talking with him. As much as people dislike Tom Jr, the guy did try to 'reconcile' with Tom Sr recently with the resulting comment made 'it will take time'. Even Doria might try, maybe she has, but we won't know and it doesn't appear she has impacted if she did try. These are clues.

Mr Markle has enough money to do what he wants, fuddled or not. The tabloids need to leave him alone. It would be the decent thing to do. It must be incredibly painful (in private) for Meghan to see this taking place. Even for Doria. It's also possible that Mr Markle's 'condition' (whatever it may be) was stimulated by stress, and everyone is as puzzled as is the public. It's the tabloids that need to shut it all down. :sad:

Last edited:

I think you may be on to something. Either way, I would say his words are more hurtful to Meghan than anything the tabloids could print. But she has already said she doesn't read anything and I doubt her stance on that has changed.

As much as people dislike Tom Jr, the guy did try to 'reconcile' with Tom Sr recently with the resulting comment made 'it will take time'.

That was so staged. I don't believe Tom Jr was at all sincere especially since he had a camera crew in tow. I mean, really? That was the Markles once again trying to grab any kind of attention they can and it worked for 5 seconds.

Anyways they can try all they want but Meghan will be protected. The BRF will not let them anywhere near her.

See this is one of the parts that just didn’t make sense to me. How does he expect to go see his daughter in London with or without an invite? I’m really confused at this point about who he thinks is pissed at him? Meghan or Harry? Or the BRF? Why is he blaming the BRF for Meghan being pissed at him? He’s still stuck on the photo gate as if that’s his only mistake. Although I think letting him know the GMB interview and this is a mistake at this point is fruitless. I read a book recently that talked about interpersonal relationships and management and how no one likes to be told of their mistakes and will try to justify it in their minds. Even regarding things that are far worse.

I find it peculiar that this man who claims to be at deaths door would spend his last moments on earth pursuing fame and money and not chasing after better health or his grandchildren. I wish someone in the media would wake up! Even if you HATE Meghan, this man's actions are ridiculous. Instead of parroting this man's inane rantings what happened to the media that questions?

Andrew Neil is a very well respected journalist for the BBC. He’s the former editor of the Sunday Times.

He once said (paraphrasing) the only thing the British tabloids love more than a royal wedding is a royal divorce. He was speaking about Charles and Diana but the principal applies in general.

The tabloids love this sort of stuff from the Markles. It’s train wreck journalism.

And as long as they keeping yapping, the tabloids will keep printing it.

That was so staged. I don't believe Tom Jr was at all sincere especially since he had a camera crew in tow. I mean, really? That was the Markles once again trying to grab any kind of attention they can and it worked for 5 seconds.

Ah, didn't know that. :cool:

Prior to November it was all to do with her career as an actress, and then we saw her in the engagement interview. Lots of energy, lots of opportunities for personality to be expressed to the camera. But in fact nothing comparable has taken place since the engagement interview, just 'set pieces' that require a 'sombre mien', Meghan making sure she is paying attention to protocol and who goes first, photo calls whose viewing is limited by the location of the camera, a lot of watching her watching others. All that doesn't lend itself to a bubbly effusive 'image'.

I'm looking forward to her picking up some patronages and giving speeches as a duchess. That should give her more opportunities to show her personality. And maybe some solo engagements or some more informal ones with Harry. I think Wimbledon might be the most relaxed thing she's done since she got married. As far as official engagements go, I mean.

As I see it Mr Markle is essentially saying his little girl has lost her sparkle. Perhaps he is right. However, given time Meghan will adjust - just as every other new bride who has joined the Royal family has taken time to adjust. Just wait and see Meghan will soon relax and feel confident that she is doing a good job as a representative of the family and her Sparkle will return. Personally I think she has done very well ever since she first appeared.

As I see it Mr Markle is essentially saying his little girl has lost her sparkle. Perhaps he is right. However, given time Meghan will adjust - just as every other new bride who has joined the Royal family has taken time to adjust. Just wait and see Meghan will soon relax and feel confident that she is doing a good job as a representative of the family and her Sparkle will return. Personally I think she has done very well ever since she first appeared. Who knows she may be suffering from an entirely different kind of conflict that will make us all very happy in 8 months or so.

Yea, that’s not what he’s saying. What you are talking about is finding a balance. He’s gone pst that. At this point, he just sounds like a child who isn’t getting his way and thinks a temper tantrum is the way to go.

:previous:
As they say when a child acts out, he/she is looking for attention in all the wrong places by doing all the wrong things....that sums it up for me regarding Sr. here.

Andrew Neil is a very well respected journalist for the BBC. He’s the former editor of the Sunday Times.

He once said (paraphrasing) the only thing the British tabloids love more than a royal wedding is a royal divorce. He was speaking about Charles and Diana but the principal applies in general.

The tabloids love this sort of stuff from the Markles. It’s train wreck journalism.

And as long as they keeping yapping, the tabloids will keep printing it.
Sadly I have to agree. Samantha and Tom Jr. have nothing to lose by speaking to the media. Their relationship with their half-sister ended years ago, but the tabloids have shown that they're more than willing to keep printing their "exclusive stories" or rants.

As a parent I can understand his concern for Meghan's change in demeanor, however she is living a very different life than the one she'd had in the U.S. and Canada. Even though she's about to celebrate her 37th birthday, she'll always be his child.

Tom Sr. on the other hand is going to lose everything with his youngest child if this behavior continues. :sad: However he's obviously investing time and effort into his relationship with the tabloids.

The tabloids will continue to print what they print because it fits a narrative they long decided on. They have to fill the column pages somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom