The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding politics Harry mainly seems to be the one who tries to stay rather neutral - as is expected of him. Give Trump a chance is not a statement of support but mainly to withhold judgment and let's see what Brexit brings (or something along those lines) is neither a statement in favour nor against Brexit but accepting the status quo.

Sometimes the worse of things can be the blessing, as you say, duchessrachel, that when the going gets tough, you find out where your strength and stay is. I'm willing to bet my last BBQ chip with cream cheese on it that the BRF is most definitely in Meghan's corner right now and are there for her.

You know what, I am calling FOUL on this entire interview.

What a TACKY TACKY thing to do.

Yes, I can understand how Mr. Markle would like to control the narrative to his own story. It must be horrible to be in the position of reading and hearing things about you that may or may not be true by people who may or may not know you. So, I understand why he felt the need to clear the "air." What I don't get is why he felt the need to share personal conversations that he had with his daughter and son in law. That was not necessary AT ALL. Talk about a lack of discretion.

And I am sorry, I find it hard to believe that unless it was a general comment that Harry felt the need to share his thoughts on two political minefields. With someone he barely knows? Or perhaps, if he did share his thoughts, he thought they were safe with his father in law. What's the saying....FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON ME FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON YOU.

Yeah, I think Thomas Markle Sr. has set the tone (or provided an example) of what can and/or will be his relationship with his daughter and/or son in law. He can't be trusted. If they do have a relationship with him he certainly will not be privvy to anything substantial. Personally, I wouldn't blame them if they kept him at arms length.

You know what, I am calling FOUL on this entire interview.

What a TACKY TACKY thing to do.

Yes, I can understand how Mr. Markle would like to control the narrative to his own story. It must be horrible to be in the position of reading and hearing things about you that may or may not be true by people who may or may not know you. So, I understand why he felt the need to clear the "air." What I don't get is why he felt the need to share personal conversations that he had with his daughter and son in law. That was not necessary AT ALL. Talk about a lack of discretion.

And I am sorry, I find it hard to believe that unless it was a general comment that Harry felt the need to share his thoughts on two political minefields. With someone he barely knows? Or perhaps, if he did share his thoughts, he thought they were safe with his father in law. What's the saying....FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON ME FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON YOU.

Yeah, I think Thomas Markle Sr. has set the tone (or provided an example) of what can and/or will be his relationship with his daughter and/or son in law. He can't be trusted. If they do have a relationship with him he certainly will not be privvy to anything substantial. Personally, I wouldn't blame them if they kept him at arms length.

Now, how do you know for sure Harry and Meghan did not give their okay for this interview? You are judging him, Harry and Meghan.

I think she should not have done it But maybe they okayed it. We just don't know.

:previous: Sorry @AmericanObserver7, but there's no way M&H or the royals would have approved Mr. Markle to be interviewed on GMB by Piers Morgan! :ermm:

Exactly @Osipi and @Zonk, and many others who've commented in this thread. It's really hard for us to know what's going on behind-the-scenes, or what attempts may have already been made to assist Mr. Markle thus far during what has been an extremely difficult transition for a man who apparently is sweet, but also seems to have poor judgment, as we all do in certain life situations. He admits he was told not to talk to the press, but then it seems he has been taken in by media outlets such as TMZ and GMB to think they can help him from being blindsided by negative stories, when of course these untrustworthy tabs are also doing the blindsiding and manipulating.

Piers was definitely talking out of both sides of his mouth and clearly inappropriately squeezing Mr. Markle for details in a way that Mr. Markle is obviously unprepared and ill-equipped to handle. Unscrupulous media have clearly been pushing Mr. Markle's buttons, via seeing the opportuity to appeal to his pride, vanity and his overall ignorance of how to manage this type of world-wide fame. But I still think he's a sweet man who's simply out of his element in his 70s, a time when it's difficult to make behavioral changes. Meghan has sort of outpaced all members of her family with her success, except for her mother, Doria, who is her mainstay and champion.

Here's the gist of the problem I think:
This is an unfortunate set of circumstances because the royals are not used to being in the position of needing to guide and coddle relatives of a royal wife. Normally, relatives understood they took a backseat and willingly did so. Quite often, royal wives would have decreased interactions with their family after marrying anyway (which has changed a bit recently). Meghan's situation carries an even more unique set of circumstances, partly due to her being an American and a former succesful actor who is estranged from many of her family members. The Markle half-siblings are one thing, and they should be ignored and completely cut-off.

Mr. Markle, OTOH, simply does not seem to understand the ramifications of speaking out even despite being told not to.
He doesn't seem to have any idea of how to distinguish between reputable journalists and shysters who are actually trying to use him in ways that can be harmful and upsetting to Meghan and her new family. He clearly does not understand anything about royal protocol, British royal history and the ins-and-outs of being related to a member of the British royal family in the modern age. He had some charming and innocuous things to say, but too many private confidences were also revealed.

The interview is posted on Youtube in unnumbered sections. This is the beginning portion (with other parts available on the page gallery), and it's possible to click on 'CC' for closed-captions for those who may need that feature:

Last edited:
Now, how do you know for sure Harry and Meghan did not give their okay for this interview? You are judging him, Harry and Meghan.

I think she should not have done it But maybe they okayed it. We just don't know.

Yeah, I don't think so.

Especially since Rebecca English, is reporting that Kensington Palace had NO IDEA he was doing this article. I am going to give Rebecca the benefit of the doubt on this one.

And I can't imagine that Harry, growing up with the British tabloids and knowing how each and everything the BRF does and says can be misconstrued would have say, Sure! Have a sit down with Piers Morgan! And while you are at, please disclose the details on every personal conversation that you and I have ever had. And yeppers, don't forget to talk about how bad your daughter wants to have kids.

I am not buying it for a second.

I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt.

But when it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck.

Guess what?

It's a duck!

He is a grown American male living on his own in Mexico. IMO, he is in way over his head.

But equally, and whatever his daughter requests, it is his life to lead. He was raised in a country with free speech. But he will also have to live with the consequences of his chattiness.

Please let's not get into that free speech, he is an American he can say whatever he wants, the 1st Amendment, etc. discussion again.

This has NOTHING to do any of that.

So if he was from Europe, Asia or Africa, it would be okay?

No, it wouldn't.

I just don't see how he doesn't understand why he shouldn't speak with the press. It never makes it better. Hasn't he already from his earlier interaction with the press that he CAN"T CONTROL THE NARRATIVE? And plus, he received money for the interview?

How utterly tacky.

You know, when Meghan announced that none of her family would attend the wedding (save her parents) people gave her all kinds of grief. And you know what, she knows who she is related to and we don't.

That's why she has kept them at arms length. That's why Harry said being with the BRF was like being with the family she never had. With the exception of her mother, almost all of her CORE family has sold her out.

It's one thing not to trust strangers, but not to trust your siblings or your father.

How sad.

And make no mistake, I know there are children all over the world who have it much worst than Meghan in terms of familial relationships. I feel bad for them as well. So I am not making light of her family situation or making it like she grew up in extreme poverty with no one to care for her.

Last edited:
Didn't Meghan put stuff on her lifestyle blog about herself and Harry as well though? and an interview about how in love they were prior to getting engaged as well if I recall. It's a bit much to say her family are this and that as though she is all that is great herself. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and I don't see that it has in Meghan's case either.

... And I am sorry, I find it hard to believe that unless it was a general comment that Harry felt the need to share his thoughts on two political minefields. With someone he barely knows? Or perhaps, if he did share his thoughts, he thought they were safe with his father in law. What's the saying....FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON ME FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON YOU.

I agree with your views, except that after hearing Mr. Markle close-up, I tend to think he's simply sweet and clueless. I also believe that Meghan has been aware for some time that her father is a sweet clunker of a man who means well, but who has a tendency to make poor choices. It's also likely from what I've read and surmised that her Dad may have failed her on occasion in the past, but that she's always forgiven him and never forgotten his love, nurturing and emotional support throughout her life. We don't know how the interfering and whining siblings may have impacted Meghan's relationship with her father, particularly in the aftermath of her career success in Toronto.

Regarding the leaking of Harry's private 'hearsay' comments about Trump and Brexit, first of all, Piers was clearly out-of-line in pushing Mr. Markle to reveal such 'off-the-cuff' conversational details. Piers even came back to this topic again at the end of the interview in a brazen attempt to squeeze more information from Mr. Markle. That's when Mr. Markle finally had the presence of mind to point out that it was a 'loose conversation' during which Harry was trying to be supportive and encouraging toward Mr. Markle's upset feelings over Trump. I don't see the private comments that were IMO unwittingly revealed by Markle Snr, as being indicative of Harry's personal feelings nor his actual political beliefs.

I'm sure Harry did not anticipate the conversation being leaked. But even still, it seems to me that the encouragement-related context toward Mr. Markle, shows that Harry tries to stay neutral regarding political matters even during a private conversation with a soon-to-be close relative. It is nothing to say: “Give Trump a chance.” Regardless of their feelings about Trump, lots of people across the political spectrum were saying that at one point. And we don't know the timing of when the conversation took place between Harry and Mr. Markle either. As far as Brexit, again the private comments should never have been revealed, but again Harry's reported words were neutral and innocuous. The royals have no control over the British populace having voted for Brexit. So of course, it makes sense if their public and even their 'private' stance is to simply deal with the current political situation that exists, and with events as they unfold.

Last edited:
I regret to say this pathetic business was reported on the main BBC Radio 4 news at 10pm, including that Markle sr ONLY 'gave his consent' to the union once assured the Duke would never 'raise his hand' to the Duchess...
The tone adopted was one of wry amusement, and not a little ridicule...Markle & Morgan [a comedy duo] risible attempts to involve The Duke in political controversies weren't mentioned.

Last edited:

Piers said KP didn’t know until maybe an hour before. And even if he didn’t say it, there is no way KP would ok something like this. This is just not how you deal with problems.

So did he really have a heart operation or not. He says he did but I thought the press couldn’t find the hospital.

So did he really have a heart operation or not. He says he did but I thought the press couldn’t find the hospital.

I will say that after today, I’m pretty sure he did. He did name the medical center (which I thought was a dumb move because guess where is the first place they’ll look for next time he seeks medical treatment for anything?) and shared details that I just don’t know one would know unless they’ve gone through the procedure themselves or was there while a loved one went through it. It sounded like he was having troubles with his heart even before then, but everything just added to it and it got to a pain where they needed to do the procedure and could no longer wait.

Didn't Meghan put stuff on her lifestyle blog about herself and Harry as well though? and an interview about how in love they were prior to getting engaged as well if I recall. It's a bit much to say her family are this and that as though she is all that is great herself. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and I don't see that it has in Meghan's case either.

No she did not disclose anything intimate regarding Harry on The Tig. Hell she went on holiday for 5 days in Botswana at the start of their relationship. BP gave the OK for the Vanity Fair interview seeing as they got engaged not long after.

No one not even the media knew that until the engagement interview. We don't know a lot of things about their initial courtship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meghan did that with the approval of Harry and whomever else's approval was needed...and she didn't say anything like what her father has said in this interview.

LaRae

Meghan speaking to the press about HER relationship is a lot different than her father sharing the details of a personal conversation with another party with the press. It's her relationship, she can talk about it if she wants to. And as previously, stated Harry and KP knew about it. Did they give their consent for Dad to share their confidences? I don't think so.

MaiaMai_53...I love it that you are giving Thomas Sr. the benefit of the doubt. I might of as well if I didn't know he got paid to share his thoughts.

If he wanted to clear about any facts about the staged photots, his heart attack, his missing his daughter's wedding..he should have just stuck with the facts. Even if you aren't press savvy you know or should know enough to say..I rather not discuss that. I am not comfortable sharing this information or the old stand by.....No Comment.

Meghan never shared her own relationship on The Tig. Before or after she met Harry. Most people that followed her on IG and Tig never even knew she was dating Cory or Harry until October 2016. Her vanity fair interview was mostly about just her and her work. She didn’t share anything we didn’t already know by observing their interactions or what was already out there.

I don't see how or why it would even cross your mind to equate Meghan's rather harmless 'wink-wink' Instagram posts with Mr. Markle's indiscretions during this ill-advised GMB interview with Piers Morgan!

Even Meghan wasn't aware of Piers' reputation until after she began dating Harry and she was subsequently warned that Piers could absolutely not be trusted. Meghan happened to have exchanged a few private career-related networking tweets with Piers sometime before she was in London for Wimbledon in June - July 2016. By coincidence, she may have met with Piers right before or a few days prior to her first date with Prince Harry (which Piers enjoyed alluding to during the Markle Snr interview, although at the time he had no idea whom Meghan was meeting for a date).

BTW, Meghan never referenced Harry on her Tig lifestyle website. There were a few presumed Harry-related Instagram posts which were nothing more than a picture of two spooning bananas, and a picture of two crossed matchsticks with the tips forming a red heart, along with the picture of a teapot and teacups. The picture of Meghan's dog Guy wearing a British flag warmer is neither here nor there since the warmer was purchased for Bogart and handed down to Guy before Meghan ever met Prince Harry. These harmless Instagram posts, particularly the one of Meghan wearing the matching bracelet Harry had given her are IMO partly ways in which Meghan was communicating with Prince Harry during their unavoidable periods apart. As they said during their engagement interview, they were both committed to making their long distance relationship work. As their relationship progressed, and the tabloids began to close in, Meghan began to realize she couldn't continue her social media presence, and she stopped posting altogether.

The Instagram posts I cited above appeared during the early months of the M&H relationship prior to Meghan fully understanding the tabloid nonsense and harassment that would descend upon her and her family. As he said in the engagement interview, Harry had conversations with Meghan regarding the royal firm and what that would entail and how their privacy would be invaded by the media. However, I'm quite sure he focused more on how he would protect their privacy as much as possible. These were likely very delicate conversations during which Harry was intent upon not scaring Meghan away. That's why he wanted them to get to know each other in private for as long as possible, so that when the media storm struck, they could be bolstered by the solidity and strength of their relationship, which luckily for them, is the way it turned out in the end.

Last edited:

His description sounded as if he had percutaneouscoronary*intervention (PCI)*which includes cardiac catherization. This is not comparable at all to open heart surgery (he would not have been allowed to leave hospital before the wedding in that case either), so not what I would describe as a heart operation but he did receive treatment for his heart and his condition seems to have worsened considerably because of stress, so that explains the timing.

Regarding the leaking of Harry's private 'hearsay' comments about Trump and Brexit, first of all, Piers was clearly out-of-line in pushing Mr. Markle to reveal such 'off-the-cuff' conversational details. Piers even came back to this topic again at the end of the interview in a brazen attempt to squeeze more information from Mr. Markle. That's when Mr. Markle finally had the presence of mind to point out that it was a 'loose conversation' during which Harry was trying to be supportive and encouraging toward Mr. Markle's upset feelings over Trump. I don't see the private comments that were IMO unwittingly revealed by Markle Snr, as being indicative of Harry's personal feelings nor his actual political beliefs.

First off, thanks m'friend for the link to the interview with closed captioning. They didn't do a good job of it at all but I got the gist of what the interview was like and what amazed me the most was, as you state, the goading and pushing of Piers to return again and again to a topic of conversation where it was obvious he was pushing Mr. Markle for a response and goading him to say something "controversial".

I actually could only stomach the first two segments of the YouTube video. After Piers stated for the third (or was it fourth) time that Mr. Markle was alone in a small B&B watching his daughter on a *small* television set, it was too blatantly obvious to me that he was going for the jugular vein as would a experienced hunter knowing just where to aim his sights to bring down his prey.

Mr. Markle was visibly uncomfortable and its proves to me that my initial reaction of his being a Mr. Magoo being caught in the headlights like a startled deer is a correct one. Tom, for the most part wouldn't even look directly at the camera in front of him and for the majority of the interview, he had downcast eyes. When he did show his hands, I could see them visibly shaking and this was not a man comfortable in his own skin and was one being subjected to being goaded and pushed and prodded for reactions and responses.

Piers Morgan should be ashamed of himself for this interview but then again, he had a perfect patsy that walked right into his trap. Tom Markle, Sr. was blatantly taken advantage of but then again, Mr. Markle, with being in full control of all his faculties walked into this trap openly and willingly.

Once again, this is something that has backfired on Mr. Markle no matter if his motives and intents were to be nothing else but the proud father of the new Duchess of Sussex. Sometimes it takes multiple stabs at a lesson before the lesson finally sinks in.

His description sounded as if he had percutaneouscoronary*intervention (PCI)*which includes cardiac catherization. This is not comparable at all to open heart surgery (he would not have been allowed to leave hospital before the wedding in that case either), so not what I would describe as a heart operation but he did receive treatment for his heart and his condition seems to have worsened considerably because of stress, so that explains the timing.

Having gone through this kind of a procedure with someone close to me, its a procedure that is done quite often and a lot of times is even out patient surgery. I do get where Tom Sr. is coming from that it didn't seem that big of a problem the first time he was in the hospital and even said, himself, that he checked himself out against medical advice as the "big day" was approaching and he felt better. It turned out to be the wrong move for him to make. What happened is the heart condition did escalate and he wasn't feeling "much better" and it all came to a head where he had no choice but to take care of himself first.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that none of us know that much about Meghan, not really. We are quick to say that her family members are so awful etc but we don't know enough about what they say about her to know if it's true or not. I suppose only time will tell.

The flowers on Doria's doorstep are apparently a yearly tradition for mother's day. So that explains that part of the rather awkward week and a half before the wedding.

I for one felt Meghan shouldn't have talked to Vanity Fair either; to me it seemed tacky. IMO a royal gf or fiance should stay quiet no matter what until the engagement interview. Perhaps her dad thinks it's ok for him to talk because she talked.

Last edited:
He now states that he made a mistake when he tried to brush up his image the first time, so he apologized but thinks this time him brushing up his image will somehow magically result in a very different outcome?

In no way does it look at all to me like Mr. Markle is being deceptive or intentionally trying to harm or 'harass' his daughter. Anyone who watches the entire interview in context (if they can get past the squirm-worthy supercilious questioning by Piers and his co-host), surely can't fail to see that Mr. Markle is a sweet guy and a regular 'Joe' who is simply in over his head.

I watched it and I don't agree with you. I see zero sweet about this man and frankly hardly have. I don't think he is any different than Samantha and Thomas Jr. He is just as shady and manipulative. He plays off this "Oh gee I am old man who doesn't know any better" but he does and he proves it when he does stuff like calls TMZ or Piers Morgan behind his daughter's back. Sorry. He doesn't fool me whatsoever.

He is a grown American male living on his own in Mexico. IMO, he is in way over his head.

But equally, and whatever his daughter requests, it is his life to lead. He was raised in a country with free speech. But he will also have to live with the consequences of his chattiness.

Give me a break. He is a grown man. If his daughter asked him to respect her privacy and NOT talk to the press then do it. The fact he went against her wishes just proves how little he respects her. And that is enough of a reason for me to hope she walks away from him. Freedom of speech. Please. That is his excuse for betraying his daughter. Fascinating.

Last edited:
I watched it and I don't agree with you. I see zero sweet about this man and frankly hardly have. I don't think he is any different than Samantha and Thomas Jr. He is just as shady and manipulative. He plays off this "Oh gee I am old man who doesn't know any better" but he does and he proves it when he does stuff like calls TMZ or Piers Morgan behind his daughter's back. Sorry. He doesn't fool me whatsoever.

He’s no different than the siblings. Meghan would do well to keep him at arms’ length. He can’t be trusted. He isn’t going to stop selling her out. It’s too lucrative.

Oh my goodness.
Sharing hearsay of conversations with family on a World wide forum is not loyal.
It's sad that Meghan can not trust her father. She will always have to be very cautious with what she shares.
It's obvious that she knows him so decides to stay clear though is sensitive and caring to him.
There is something quite "regular guy finding himself in the floodlights" about Mr Markle; I don't see him as malicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your follow-up @Osipi. I completely agree with your comments. And indeed, the interview was hard to watch. It must be painful for Meghan seeing the way her father is being exploited, especially being that she loves him, understands his faults and is aware that he's made poor choices in the past. Again, it's difficult to try and guide an autonomous 70+ year old adult in a situation like this.

There were some harmlessly interesting and humorous responses by Mr. Markle in the interview. But yes, with the ever-increasing smarmy prying by Piers and the female host, Mr. Markle looked visibly more uncomfortable, almost as if he might have another heart attack on the set. :ohmy: He had to hold the concealed microphone over his ear, his voice shook at times, and his eyes twitched. But again, he's clearly proud of his daughter and he loves his daughter, and he showed concern for Meghan and Harry when he spoke of hoping they would have a chance to get away soon. His obvious love and concern makes it all the more sad that he seems incapable of discreetly handling the spotlight and the OTT exploitation. And it's tragic that he doesn't realize he's adding to Harry's and Meghan's media pressure.

It would be nice if discreet Mr. Middleton could show Mr. Markle the ropes, but that's very unlikely to happen.

I regret to say this pathetic business was reported on the main BBC Radio 4 news at 10pm, including that Markle sr ONLY 'gave his consent' to the union once assured the Duke would never 'raise his hand' to the Duchess... The tone adopted was one of wry amusement, and not a little ridicule...

The fact that Mr. Markle was manipulated by Piers Morgan to give specific details about what he said to Harry when he was asked for Meghan's hand in marriage, is what led to the comment which has been twisted as somehow being a negative implication against Harry. If you listen to the context, it becomes clear that it was a request by Mr. Markle which shows his loving care for his daughter. It's obviously something that Mr. Markle would have said to and required of any man marrying his daughter. For all we know, Mr. Markle likely said the same thing to Meghan's first husband (if Mr. Markle was asked as a courtesy for her hand in marriage, in that relationship).

They may as well also make fun of the question asked by ministers at weddings before vows are recited, as to whether anyone present knows a reason why the couple may not be joined together. ;) The question is asked, without anticipation of there being a reply. Mr. Markle made the request of Harry because he loves his daughter, not because he believes anything negative about Harry's character. Mountain out of molehill. And obviously that's the reason to use discretion, or better yet as a family member related to a royal in-law, to remain completely quiet.

This was a stupid move by Tom Sr. Meghan and Harry have no reason to trust him now. And he took money for this interview, making him look as awful as Sam and Jr. Right after the interview Piers Morgan made a beeline to Daily Mail telling that Sr was paid thousands of pounds for the chat session. I bet Sr didn't count on that. I also bet Sr doesn't realize he's invited the media to really dig into his past now.

TMZ must be ticked off now . It was getting exclusives from Sr and now he turns on them. I bet TMZ is going to lead the charge to get dirt on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom