The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
There's nothing sweet about a father selling out his daughter and son-in-law's private conversations without their consent and give an interview about these conversations. It's a betrayal. HUGE betrayal. He's only concerned about himself, and no one else.

Piers confirmed, that Snr was paid, and Harry and Meghan were not aware of this interview happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senior was paid a few thousand pounds for the interview KP have made no comment and were unaware.

Frankly I think everyone including the press were unaware, this seems to be quite a coup for GMB.

Remember all the rude and crude and racist and sexist remarks that ‘dear old Philip’ has said through the years, and we’ve all been encouraged to regard that as Philip being Philip? Surely he knows better. Mr. Markle hasn’t said anything remotely as obnoxious as those things.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/prince-philip-best-gaffes-quotes-133848
Can't disagree there.

The one that comes out looking ugly here is Harry (and Thomas for obvious reasons) to be quite honest. Giving Trump a chance? Oh honey, that is about the dumbest thing you can say. If he really did say that, f*ck you forever. It's cute giving Trump a chance when you are not affected by his actions one bit.

Can't disagree there.

The one that comes out looking ugly here is Harry (and Thomas for obvious reasons) to be quite honest. Giving Trump a chance? Oh honey, that is about the dumbest thing you can say. If he really did say that, f*ck you forever. It's cute giving Trump a chance when you are not affected by his actions one bit.

Are you really taking Thomas Snr and his word as the truth? Do people REALLY believe, that Harry would discuss with Snr about Trump and Brexit? The only one looking bad here is Snr, he betrayed Meghan and Harry's trust, talked about private matters, and NONE of this should be a public discussion.

I fell so bad for Meghan. There’s a big reason why that the only family member she had at her wedding was her mother, Doria. Her family not only have their own issues, but they’ve been out to hurt her for a long time. Her father wants to hurt her. That must be devastating for Meghan to even comprehend.

I refuse to even look at the interview. I will not be a part of the hurt towards Meghan. I just can’t do it.

Last edited:
I think the things Tom said were sweet but that he said them is a betrayal; if Meghan asked him to keep quiet and he is choosing to go against her wishes it shows a slight selfishness on his part. Especially when he knows it will just cause his daughter (Samantha) to have more free minutes of fame as she comments on Twitter and everywhere else. Its clear to me now that all the Markle's can't shut up and stop talking and that Tom is just like his kids.

A remark that says more about Mr Markle, than about Harry IMO.. Why would he EVEN think that a possibility about someone he doesn't know and seems not to have yet met [unless it's in his own repertoire] ???

I’ve actually known a few parents (not my own) that has flat out stated because that’s their one thing whereas otherwise they keep very open mind and stay out of their children’s love life.

As for the rest of that interview. The topics of trump and Brexit might make people slightly uncomfortable, but Harry handled it like his training would teach him. Not offer any personal view but live with what’s already decided and get on with it.

As for the rest of this situation, Thomas Markle needs to develop a thick skin about what the press say and get over himself. He seems to have difficulty that. I understand that he’s frustrated and him following the advice of don’t speak to the press didn’t make them go away when he did exactly that when he was found last November. But he needs to understand this isn’t going to do it either. I suppose some people will just have to learn the hard way.

I’m not going to speculate about Meghan’s relationship with her father as she seems to be able to forgive a lot more than me and I’m not talking about going to the press. Had my father pulled the stunt that he did before right before my wedding, I would’ve handled it a lot worse than Meghan even taking out the media piece. I have no qualms about cutting out people who can’t their their crap together and seems to not think through the consequences of their actions, or just react to things rather than have control over how they handle things in life. She seems to love and care for her father probably because of what he has done for her when she was younger. However, he needs to realize how much he is failing her now and how much he is hurting her because he’s pride is a little hurt over what strangers are saying even if he feels it’s unfair. Don’t go into that back and forth with the press, no one ever wins other than them.

I realize this might be a new world for Thomas Markle unlike anything he’s seen in the first 70 years of his life. But he needs to come to terms with the fact that this is his new normal. It’s unfair, but it’s not going to change.

Can't disagree there.

Harry did whatever his training taught him, which is to remain neutral on politics despite what their personal hope for the result would be on specific issues or policies. Once it’s decided, the royals DO support the work the politicians needs them to do. What do we think all the soft diplomacy tour is about or rolling out the BRF at CHOGM. They don’t discuss policies, but they are certainly there to make things easier for those that do discuss them. Members of the BRF didn’t take an opinion on if Brexit should or shouldn’t happen. But once it did happen, they are working to support the government on their transition during this time.

Its clear to me now that all the Markle's can't shut up and stop talking and that Tom is just like his kids.

He has really let his daughter down- again!

To think some people called the Middletons low-class and pushy; they are positively saintly compared to most of Meghan's family.
At least she can count on her mother.

I'm sorry but no, yes the Markle's are a problem but there is still no excuse for only having 1 family member at her wedding.

I'm sorry but no, yes the Markle's are a problem but there is still no excuse for only having 1 family member at her wedding.

What do you suggest she do then? Invite those that’s been lashing out at her because they aren’t getting the recognition they feel they now deserve by sheer genetic lottery that they are related to her or extended family that she’s not close with? She invited people that’s been close to her since she was a young adult.

I don't blame her at all for only having Doria there.

Very few families are the 'Leave it to Beaver' ...everyone has their various dysfunction (including the BRF). Also not all families have a large extended group. I have cousins I haven't seen in decades along with other family..we were never close or raised around each other. I wouldn't (and didn't) invite them to my wedding.

The last thing I'd do is invite people who were known to try and cause problems.

LaRae

Mr. Markle worked in Hollywood in the media scene and was very successful there. You don't get Emmys for being naive or just a good director of photography. We know he read about Meghan and Harry, so he must have known that Meghan shunned Piers Morgan as soon as she learned from Harry about him. Or a phonecall would have made him find out. That he went there anyway is a real betrayal. OTOH Meghan and Harry seem to be able to rely on their friends to keep their mouthes shut. We have an old saying in Germany: friends are God's excuse and recompense for the family he settled you with. Maybe this explains why Meghan was so friendly received by the BRF.

Count me as one who doesn’t think that Mr. Markle is obliged to keep his mouth shut for the rest of his days. He’s an American citizen who doesn’t have to keep his opinions to himself lest he upset the grey men of BP or KP. Besides that, what he said was pretty anodyne.

He may have the right to talk to whomever he likes, but in choosing to exercise that right in this way he’s shown his daughter and son in law that he can’t be trusted.

Just because you can do a thing doesn’t mean you should.

The media and royal watchers online has pretty much failed to understand the true extent of the damaged relationships within the Markle family.

At first, I thought this craziness was about a family not being able to handle the media attention Meghan and Harry’s relationship brought. Well, it goes much deeper than that. The Markle family have a lot of demons in their history. It’s only coming to light because of the spotlight this royal relationship. Now we’re understanding why Meghan distance herself from her family and didn’t invite them to her wedding.

Meghan obviously loves her father and wanted him to be at the wedding, but her relationship with him remains bad in a way. There’s a reason why no effort has been made for Harry to even meet him. I think it has something to do with his relationship with his daughter.

I don't blame her at all for only having Doria there.

Very few families are the 'Leave it to Beaver' ...everyone has their various dysfunction (including the BRF). Also not all families have a large extended group. I have cousins I haven't seen in decades along with other family..we were never close or raised around each other. I wouldn't (and didn't) invite them to my wedding.

The last thing I'd do is invite people who were known to try and cause problems.

LaRae

Yeah, every family have their issues, including the royal family. I just feel bad that Meghan’s own father seems to be out to hurt her. He’s refused the help of Harry and Meghan and palace officials on dealing with everything.

Last edited:
The media and royal watchers online has pretty much failed to understand the true extent of the damaged relationships within the Markle family.

At first, I thought this craziness was about a family not being able to handle the media attention Meghan and Harry’s relationship brought. Well, it goes much deeper than that. The Markle family have a lot of demons in their history. It’s only coming to light because of the spotlight this royal relationship. Now we’re understanding why Meghan distance herself from her family and didn’t invite them to her wedding.

Meghan obviously loves her father and wanted him to be at the wedding, but her relationship with him remains bad in a way. There’s a reason why no effort has been made for Harry to even meet him. I think it has something to do with his relationship with his daughter.

Yeah, every family have their issues, including the royal family. I just feel bad that Meghan’s own father seems to be out to hurt her. He’s refused the help of Harry and Meghan and palace officials on dealing with everything.

He says that Meghan cried over him not being there, but during that time he was calling up TMZ giving them a play by play of his heart issues. WHO DOES THAT!! there are no excuses for this man. Why would he gaslight his own daughter when his name was on the program.

He also said that Harry offered help on the ground but he refused! and yet they want to blame Harry and Meghan for this?

If they don't tell him all their plans its because he spills to his children, who then sell the information to the press.

Are you really taking Thomas Snr and his word as the truth? Do people REALLY believe, that Harry would discuss with Snr about Trump and Brexit? The only one looking bad here is Snr, he betrayed Meghan and Harry's trust, talked about private matters, and NONE of this should be a public discussion.

I don’t believe Harry has spoken to Markle about Brexit or Trump. He’s shown he can’t be trusted, so why discuss something so politically sensitive with a man willing to repeatedly sell out his daughter. Nah.

Mr. Markle worked in Hollywood in the media scene and was very successful there. You don't get Emmys for being naive or just a good director of photography. We know he read about Meghan and Harry, so he must have known that Meghan shunned Piers Morgan as soon as she learned from Harry about him. Or a phonecall would have made him find out. That he went there anyway is a real betrayal. OTOH Meghan and Harry seem to be able to rely on their friends to keep their mouthes shut. We have an old saying in Germany: friends are God's excuse and recompense for the family he settled you with. Maybe this explains why Meghan was so friendly received by the BRF.

Actually, Piers Morgan is quite reputable in US to those that don't follow UK media a lot. He hosted his own show on CNN while he was here and that's how most American knows him. I'm not saying he is reputable because I'm well aware of his connection to DM, but I didn't know this about him until I was here. Meghan has never spoken about her one meeting with Piers, and I doubt she ever will. Just because she closed ranks after meeting Harry doesn't necessarily mean she's going to think to warn her father off of Piers specifically (until now, there is no reason for them even to bring up Piers Morgan in private conversations I'd imagine).

As for his success as a lighting director, it doesn't mean he knows anything about how to deal with the press. He's an introvert man who has obviously chosen to live a quite secluded life before this. The fact that we, as royal watchers who has spent years watching how those around royals are expected to react to unfair press coverage, doesn't change that fact.

I don’t believe Harry has spoken to Markle about Brexit or Trump. He’s shown he can’t be trusted, so why discuss something so politically sensitive with a man willing to repeatedly sell out his daughter. Nah.

Because until like three months ago, Thomas hasn't spoken to the media. I mean I know we all like to jump on instincts and slam the man. But he did remain silent for a long time even when they stalked his home. And it's not as if Harry went into in-depth conversation about it. It sounded like a passing comment to an upset man.

Last edited:
Please note that posts making specific statements in respect of the current US President that could lead to political arguments within the thread have been edited/removed. We can discuss Harry's comments in context but nothing further. Thank you.

Absolutely no way Harry would have politically charged conversations with a man who he has yet to meet. First he went to TMZ, next he seeks out Piers to further embarrass.

I think that IF Harry said what Pa Markle has repeated it is not controversial. It is a neutral response as both results the outcome of a public vote.

HE would have been in serious trouble if he had come down as directly positive/negative on either issue.

We don't know if the words use by Markle were actually the words spoken by Harry either.

He may have the right to talk to whomever he likes, but in choosing to exercise that right in this way he’s shown his daughter and son in law that he can’t be trusted.

Just because you can do a thing doesn’t mean you should.

Good point loonytick. Sadly I believe that Tom Sr.'s past and current actions are going to eventually affect his relationship with his youngest child and her husband. :sad: Now had the very private and discreet Doria Ragland been the one to speak to GMB, then I believe that she would have only done so with the blessing of the Sussexes and I'd have a very different feeling toward her participation.

I think that IF Harry said what Pa Markle has repeated it is not controversial. It is a neutral response as both results the outcome of a public vote.

HE would have been in serious trouble if he had come down as directly positive/negative on either issue.

We don't know if the words use by Markle were actually the words spoken by Harry either.

Agreed. You just said much better than what I tried to say earlier. There is nothing controversial about it. But of course, the press will make mountains out of mole hill.

He says that Meghan cried over him not being there, but during that time he was calling up TMZ giving them a play by play of his heart issues. WHO DOES THAT!! there are no excuses for this man. Why would he gaslight his own daughter when his name was on the program.

He also said that Harry offered help on the ground but he refused! and yet they want to blame Harry and Meghan for this?

If they don't tell him all their plans its because he spills to his children, who then sell the information to the press.

You do realize that I’m not making any excuses for Mr. Markle, right?

I’m just stating that everyone pretty much failed to understand the extent of the fraught relationship Meghan have with her family. No one (that I know of) is blaming Meghan and Harry. There’s just a lot of personal breakdown within the Markle family. That’s what we’ve been seeing for months. This is why Harry made that comment that Meghan now have the family she never had. She have her mother, Harry and the rest the royal family. She loves her father, but their relationship is not on the best footing, sadly.

Harry did whatever his training taught him, which is to remain neutral on politics despite what their personal hope for the result would be on specific issues or policies. Once it’s decided, the royals DO support the work the politicians needs them to do. What do we think all the soft diplomacy tour is about or rolling out the BRF at CHOGM. They don’t discuss policies, but they are certainly there to make things easier for those that do discuss them. Members of the BRF didn’t take an opinion on if Brexit should or shouldn’t happen. But once it did happen, they are working to support the government on their transition during this time.

Exactly as a few royal reporters have pointed out. He said the company line.

"Richard Palmer: It’s not ideal for royals to be caught discussing politics but if he had agreed with Mr Markle on Trump and said anything negative about Brexit it would have been more damaging."

Thomas Markle flat out said he opened the conversation saying he was upset about Trump and all Harry said was that neutral statement but then said he thinks Harry probably has changed his mind since then. He is ridiculous. He is also the one who brought politics into the conversation. It seemed very deliberate with his "That is his, not mine" comment.

Piers on This Morning spoke of how Thomas Markle contacted them to tell his side of the story, ala TMZ. So he is constantly seeking out the media despite knowing how much Meghan and Harry don't want him to. He is more concerned about how the public views him than his relationship with his child.

Actually, there were some of Meghan's family at the wedding. I'm pretty sure it was a couple people on Doria's side.

Thomas Markle has terrible judgement, why can't follow his ex-wife's example and remain silent (as he's been asked to do)? Nothing positive will come out of this interview. This is not how you mend a relationship. As a parent, he should be putting his daughter's needs ahead of his own. (I expect his other children will get more press coverage again in response to this interview). If I were Meghan, I'd be so embarrassed and upset with him.

Last edited:
Certainly he's NOT a man to be trusted, and altho' the Duchess is [understandably] not likely to sever all links, I think the Duke will be very unlikely to form much of a bond with his Father-in-law, if ANY at all...
Harry & William know are all too familiar with the untrustworthy, and they freeze them out accordingly.That won't be necessary in Markle's case.. it is enough just to form NO close bond.

Its not about what he said, its how it can be spun. Piers knows that, Tom knows that, the media knows that.

Hopefully the information cycle is ridiculously short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom