The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It *is* summertime and the known "silly" season and I do have to admit that the Markle antics do somewhat keep me amused. I, like the rest of us here, also know not to take anything out of a Markle mouth seriously and this summer just may be waiting to see how low can they go.

TRF will always be a place where Meghan is front and center with us along with the rest of the threads on the royals around the world. Its what we do here.

Its just kind of reassuring that we can talk about the Markles and what they get up to without it being taken seriously by anyone that their words, their antics and their strategies are actually breaking news and will make a difference in the world "out there".

My point was to enhance the decision by BBC and ITV that they're not going to treat these Markle e(strange)d family members as anything but what they really are. They're not celebrities or newsworthy in their own rights by any stretch and they're not going to bill them as such.

I, for the life of me, could never understand why people that have had no contact really with Meghan at all other than distantly being related (the Dooleys and Tom, Jr's ex-wife) could have been thought of as "important" and knowledgeable enough to be "royal correspondents" for Meghan and Harry's wedding. That really baffled me.

We'll *always* talk about anything and everything to do with the British royal family down to the minute detail. Its what we do best here. :D

i find it embarrasing that BBC and ITV had to make a pact to not hire any of the markles for their programmes (unless purely informational like news broadcasts) to avoid the markles from further embarrassing themselves. the fact that some outsider needs to help the BRF because some adults do not know how to behave themselves is just plain embarrassing for meghan, for harry and for the queen. i am not sure how this was all allowed to happen. i knew there would be trouble as soon as the engagement was announced.

Heck, there is no embarrassment at all to the Queen, Harry , Meghan or any other member of the BRF that someone or any company had to make a proper statement that certain people were maliciously bulling a person and they wanted no part of this endeavor. It is the three Markles that should be hanging their heads in shame, if of course they have the sense or morals to do so.

Last edited:
One thing I can almost guarantee and I don't need my crystal ball for it is that Harry and Meghan will have those times that they look at each other and say "I love you but I don't like you very much right now". Any good marriage has those days. No couple can get along 100% of the time. Marriage takes work, patience, understanding and compromising and sometimes it can seem like its a tug of war. I do think, however, that Harry and Meghan have gone into this marriage with their eyes wide open and are sure that this is what they both want going into the future together. Their courtship was spent basically on a one on one basis at home doing everyday things. They knew they could live together comfortably. I do think they put each other first and that, to me is a good start.

About Sam's education. I agree that she's gotten a few degrees perhaps an Associate Degree or a Bachelors but if she had gotten a doctorate anywhere, she'd be boasting of that in everything she says as "the good doctor that knows these things. The strangest thing I've read that one of the degrees she does have certifies her as a mental health counselor. Its actually Doria that has worked in the mental health profession (and I believe she still does).

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that see their world as being part of a circle where there is caring and compassing and thought for the other persons in that circle. Then there are people that put themselves in the middle of a circle where they come first and those making up the circle are ones that affect them, are there for their benefit or not depending on what they can do for a person. In other words, have the "me first always" attitudes. Its not rocket science to figure out that Tom, Sr., Sam and Tom Jr. see themselves as separate entities from the people around them whereas people like Doria and Meghan feel more comfortable being part of the circle. This illustrates this concept.

"Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle

I've been married over 30 years now and there have sure been times that we did not like each other much. Love is a separate thing. Being committed to push thru it (whatever it is) is important..both parties have to want to do the heavy lifting.

LaRae

I, for the life of me, could never understand why people that have had no contact really with Meghan at all other than distantly being related (the Dooleys and Tom, Jr's ex-wife) could have been thought of as "important" and knowledgeable enough to be "royal correspondents" for Meghan and Harry's wedding. That really baffled me.

It has everything to do with the way reporters approach such 'marks', and that's really how it goes. :cool: There is an awesome level of soft-soap being applied by said reporter to said 'mark'. Always note how personable said reporter is (if one happens to be able to see the reporter interviewed). It was the case with the young man from TMZ who got Mr Markle to pose for photographs. It's not like the reporter is yelling at the person over the fence and the person scrambles out of their house falling over themselves to oblige. (There is also the matter of the money offered 'for 15 minutes of your time' and the ka-ching when that gets multiplied by 4 or 6 increments).

For sure some are savvy enough to seek it out (Samantha), but more often a 'very nice young man/woman' convinces said 'mark' through reasoning 'clear as crystal' why talking to them is okay/useful/helpful/benign/interesting.....fill in the blanks.

This is at the feet of the tabloids, make no mistake. Most people are innocents. JMO. :cool:

“My point was to enhance the decision by BBC and ITV that they're not going to treat these Markle e(strange)d family members as anything but what they really are.

Let’s not forget it is Piers Morgan on ITV’s good morning Britain who regularly talks about Meghan as hè met her personally before the engagement and he has conducted the interviews with Tom Snr and Samantha. This airspace coverage was on Prime breakfast Television on mainstream TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, fair or not, this is part of the hazing all new members of the royal family go through.

Meghan’s family is having a very public meltdown and of course it’s going to be in the papers and on tv

It is what it is

This is beginning to feel like a PSA for kids with toxic parents. Another opinion piece worth reading.

https://www.the-pool.com/news-views...homas-markle-and-guilt-with-estranged-parents

It is, quite obviously, a most transparent and unsophisticated guilt-trip. For those of us with estranged parents, the fear that they will die without us knowing and the responsibility to make sure that does not happen, regardless of how hurt we get ourselves, is constantly, quietly present. The feeling is particular to parent-child relationships, because of the narrative of “unconditional love” that is tied up in biological bonds. As a result, we’re taught to feel responsible for the upkeep of parent-child relationships, no matter how many times we’ve been rejected, or humiliated, or ignored, or made to feel unimportant or worthless. These feelings play out quietly at times and dramatically at others; they seep into other relationships disguised as defensiveness or jealousy or as other deep-seated issues with trust. It takes a lot of effort to try and stop this. Even when it’s not front-page news.

More to the point, we should be asking: when will the media stop facilitating this behaviour? If Markle’s actions were that of an ex-boyfriend or ex-husband, we’d regard them as coercive control (which, as a reminder, is a criminal act in Britain). Yet, instead, Thomas Markle is afforded platforms and sympathies; described as “heartbroken” and defiant that he “WON’T let the palace silence him”. The topspin on his actions is almost as despicable as the act itself.

Look, fair or not, this is part of the hazing all new members of the royal family go through.

Meghan’s family is having a very public meltdown and of course it’s going to be in the papers and on tv

It is what it is

At some point, it goes past a line of let's dig up dirt on her to facilitating abuse by a parent. It stops being the price of fame, but begins to be a painful issue for a lot of people in society. To have a national paper and TV show facilitating this behavior is as despicable as the parent doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Very interesting article Jacqui, and Thank you for sharing it. I certainly can relate to what the writer was saying as I know just how horrible patents can be as they create guilt trips that hurt and can destroy relationships.....best advice is to walk away with your head held high and stay very quiet....Meghan is doing just that and will that will carry her through the despicable actions of of the Markle Clan.....good riddance to them.

I’m glad a lot of press are coming to Meghan’s defense. Seeing some of royal reporters doing it too. It took awhile but they finally seeing the nonsense for what it is.

I don’t fault the tabloids for running the Markle drama. It’s their job but it’s severely backfiring on them. Now everyone understands why Meghan was estranged from them and the over the top nitpicking is doing them no favors.

But this will be her life but at least people aren’t being blind to it.

Richard Palmer is defending the coverage on Twitter. He said he’s not writing articles but it’s clear it’s a news story to cover the Markles.

Palmer also says he understands why people are annoyed by the coverage. He even thinks it’s repetitive. He sees both sides. Press will run an obvious story. No changing that but even they know you can exhaust a topic as well. I do think we are reaching that point with the Markles.

Last edited:
Posts wishing Thomas Markle, Sr death or ill health have been deleted, and will continue to be deleted. No one is required to like him, but people are required to remain respectful.

From the Mirror : “The thing both my dad and I are sick of is our family being publicly mocked and flogged" (said by Samantha)

My response: Well then quit giving the public ammunition.

The only thing I can say is I really really hope the is NO contact with the Markle Clan......they do not deserve to have any time spent on them whatsoever......we here I believe most of us are appalled at the behavior of how some of the family members have treated Meghan and why....being jealous or envious of what another has accomplished on their own as a adult is beyond disgusting. They should look to Meghan with pride at the person she has become in her own right.......but not this family. I for one send prayers that this young couple can withstand the onslaught of hate that is directed at them and that they can just move on and enjoy life as a newly married couple should. As for the media, this is a horrible sign of what they do to anyone they feel like it, this could happen to anyone not just a royal couple.....this is beyond bullying and manipulation of the people. I am really sicken buy this for I want no part of the human race that wants to destroy someone over jealousy or something so petty....

Neither of them understand the concept of when you are in a hole, stop digging.

Seriously, what kind of person threatens their own child with death?

As for the media, while I understanding reporting a story when something comes up, I don't understand how it is ok for them to go and seek this story and pay them for it at this point. They know these people have been abusing a woman who can't respond by sling mud at her in public simply because they can't get her attention. They know they have no access or information, all they would get is for them to issue further verbal abuse. At that point, those people that pay for it and seek it are aiding and abetting.

Last edited:
From the Mirror : “The thing both my dad and I are sick of is our family being publicly mocked and flogged" (said by Samantha)

But it's fun when it's done to Meghan.

They go to every possible public forum to trash Meghan, but when tables turn, they cry victim.

They are pathetic. They sit there and bully people but the moment they strike back they are victims? The nerve of Samantha whining because people are rightfully calling them out. She screams all day about freedom in speech. Well...

What Sam and her father have been doing is hopefully coming right back at them tenfold........what you put out to the world does come back to you and Karma takes huge bites, so have a feast Karma for it is well deserved....

I was actually giggling at Samantha's response to Chrissy Teigen. 'That guy is our father and deserves respect!!!'

I have often wondered if senior Markle has a passport....did he ever apply for one in the past months knowing he was going to England for a wedding?

Just asking...is senior Markle on a no fly list? We would not know.

Both of these issues could have prevented senior Markle from flying hence the drama.

No matter what the Duke and Dutchess do or not do they will be wrong in certain people’s eyes. better to be quiet and if need be let lawyers handle the issues.

I bet the Duke and senior Markle did meet. It would have been quiet to not draw attention so the family is saying the did not meet. JMO because the Duke would not have let this slide.

And off topic....Spellcheck on an iPad is a pain in the neck!

Last edited:
What Sam and her father have been doing is hopefully coming right back at them tenfold........what you put out to the world does come back to you and Karma takes huge bites, so have a feast Karma for it is well deserved....
Never read something so true and you can verify it every day !!!!!!:flowers:

I have often wondered of senior Markle has a passport....did he ever apply for one in the past months knowing he was going to England for a wedding?

Just asking...is senior Markle on a no fly list? We would not know.

Both of these issues could have prevented senior Markle from flying hence the drama.

No matter what the Duke and Dutches do or not do they will be wrong in certain people’s eyes. better to be quiet and if need be let lawyers handle the issues.

I bet the Duke and senior Markle did meet. It would have been quiet to not draw attention so the family is saying the did not meet. JMO because the Duke would not have let this slide.

Well, Tom, Sr. definitely has the Passport Card for North American travel, but whether he has an actual Passport for International travel, who knows.

Where and when do you think Harry met his father-in-law?

When? We know that Harry hadn’t met him prior to the wedding, as it was stated that Harry would be meeting him in person for the first time when he arrived in the UK for the wedding. While it’s feasible that he may have met him since then and just gone unnoticed, given the press attention on Markle Sr it seems very unlikely. I also don’t believe Harry has disappeared for any lengthy period of time since the wedding outside of the time said that he and Meghan were on their honeymoon.

That said, it’s not Harry’s job to fly to Mexico to deal with Meghan’s family - not unless Meghan wants him to. It’s Harry’s job to let Meghan make a decision regarding how she is going to handle her family, and support her in it. Thomas Markle Sr’s actions are not directly affecting Harry, they’re affecting Meghan and are owing to Meghan’s relationship with him. If Meghan decides she never wants to speak to her father again, Harry should support her in that. If she decides that she wants to reconcile and jump on the earliest possible flight to Mexico, Harry should support her in that too. He’s her father, it’s her choice.

Well, Tom, Sr. definitely has the Passport Card for North American travel, but whether he has an actual Passport for International travel, who knows.

Where and when do you think Harry met his father-in-law?

Does the US have different passports for North American travel? Travelling from the US to Mexico or Canada is still international travel. This is a genuine question - I believe that pre-9/11 Canadians could cross the US/Canada border without a passport (just needed ID), but post-9/11 that’s changed, and so we need our passports now, and it’s the same passport as we would use to travel to the UK or elsewhere.

Does the US have different passports for North American travel? Travelling from the US to Mexico or Canada is still international travel. This is a genuine question - I believe that pre-9/11 Canadians could cross the US/Canada border without a passport (just needed ID), but post-9/11 that’s changed, and so we need our passports now, and it’s the same passport as we would use to travel to the UK or elsewhere.

Now for travel between the US and Canada you have to have a passport or an enhanced driver's license. Between Mexico & the US by air you need a passport, by land or sea a Pass Card is all you need (I think that's true for US - Canada air travel as well).

I agree that Harry has never met Sr., and I agree that is between Meghan and her dad to decide, Harry's role is to support his wife and I doubt he'd try to sway her decision. I think Meghan & her father's relationship has been extremely distant for a long time, I also don't think he was ever going to be part of the wedding, that everyone made a pretense out of it so all could save face. All JMO

Last edited:
Now for travel between the US and Canada you have to have a passport or an enhanced driver's license. I'm not sure about Mexico.

Thank you! I’ve googled it, and the enhanced driver’s license allows for travel between Mexico and the US as well, provided it’s via land/sea entry (it doesn’t work for air travel). We don’t have an equivalent in Canada - we just have the passport or Nexus (which is basically an escalated passport that makes crossing the border easier/faster).

That said, it’s very possible that Markle Sr doesn’t have a full passport, as he hasn’t needed one. Or at least didn’t have one prior to the engagement - I would hope he got one before the wedding.

I doubt Harry met Thomas because that is one of the main reasons this man is whining. He feels disrespected because he hasn't have face time with any of the royals. He was just recently telling the media that Harry needed to "get over it" and meet him.

Pretty sure I remember it being released that Harry had not yet met Meghan's father after the engagement was out.

LaRae

Thomas Markle said in his latest interview, “I don’t even want to meet Prince Harry”, so that says to me they haven’t met.

You are correct about not needing anything but ID (or a birth certificate for children) for US travel to Canada or Mexico prior to 9/11 and for travel to US from those countries. My husband and I only needed our driver's licenses when we went to Canada in the 90s.

Now we do have two different forms of travel documents available.

You can get just a Passport Card that allows travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda by land or sea only, not air travel to those places. It costs $65 for the card.

For travel outside the US by air or other international travel you need to get a full Passport Book. It costs $145.

Both are valid for 10 years before needing to be renewed.

ETA-Only a few states offered the enhanced drivers license until recently. With more specific ID being required to even fly domestically beginning October 2020, most states have begun offering the enhanced license. My state only began offering it this month.

Until the past year, only 4 states had the enhanced drivers license-Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington state.

Last edited:
I agree that Harry has never met Sr., and I agree that is between Meghan and her dad to decide, Harry's role is to support his wife and I doubt he'd try to sway her decision. I think Meghan & her father's relationship has been extremely distant for a long time, I also don't think he was ever going to be part of the wedding, that everyone made a pretense out of it so all could save face. All JMO

To me that seems unlikely. I think that Meghan sincerely thought her father was going to come over for her wedding. I wouldn't call it saving face when all of it is blowing up (as was to be expected if the intention truly was for him NOT to attend). Whether mr Markle himself truly intended to attend is a different question; he might not have been consistent... he probably truly wanted to attend and play one of the main roles at the wedding and meet all those important people/royals but on the other hand was terrified of doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom