The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the parents made the CHOICE to send their child to a private school then yes it is their responsibility to pay for that school. It should be noted that even when it comes to private school some who attend get financial scholarships to attend. Lets not use Meghan going to private school as a way to disparage her. Meghan as a kid did not make her parents enroll her in a private school.

Exactly. Meghan didn’t enroll herself as a child into these schools. Thomas doesn’t get a cookie for doing what any decent parent is suppose to do. As her parent they choose those schools. He doesn’t get to emotionally blackmail her for attending.

Last edited:
Of course it is a parent's responsibility to support their children, pay for their shelter, food and clothing. But it is not a parent's responsibility to pay for a private school education--that is a choice.

And that's a choice the parents make, on their free will. It's on them. This private education, and helping to pay for college and university isn't something a parent can hold over their child's head, like Mr Markle is doing now.

By his own admission, he's doing fine. He never needed to ask money from Meghan, but if he did, she would've given him money right away.

His vindictiveness is seething beyond any words. The delebrate joy of this narcissist to hurt his child is proof he is incapable of love. To him, she’s a possession, his trophy.

Actually, when the media is actively seeking out the people that they know is unreliable and have no new information, but just lashing out for sensationalism, they ARE responsible for giving them the platform. There is no reason for them to have people in Mexico right now. There is no secret that Tom Markle has no access after what has transpired. Continue to print his threats to his daughter is helping him threatening her.
QFT, this right here. This.... Person has nothing new to say but these tabloids continue to give him a platform to threaten and terrorize his child. As someone said they are using this as a sequel to the War of the Wales

This is coming over now: Celebrity Big Brother UK will not be renewed after this season.

Nothing confirmed yet by Channel 5, but this is the second time the show is on the bubble. There is suppose to be a contract for this season so it has to be played out. But what Samantha is not picked for the show so it would go out on a high note? She has never been confirmed as a contestant and Channel 5 looks like it joined BBC and ITV for not putting a Markle on an entertainment show.

I’m not usually a fan of the DM but they are not handling this man with kids gloves at all. They have given him a platform unfiltered (enough rope) knowing what he’s like. The Mirror, GMB and the like would have done some clean up beforehand to ensure he came across has the victim. And Meghan the pure evil villain. I know a lot of the MailOnline writers tend to have a bias against Meghan and celebrities in general etc And the paper certainly has been terribly horrid about Meghan and her mother. But their investigative journalists helped expose the shenanigans of Mr Markle and his older children. Something the other tabloids just wouldn’t have done or even dream of doing. I still don’t like MailOnline though.

It's quite interesting that if you check the best rated comments on this article, they are all defending Meghan and basically tells the other Markles to just zip it. And this from a group of readers who isn't exactly famous for praising the Duchess. To cross the line so blatantly that even the daily fail readers turns against you must be some kind of record....

Top right now: "Maybe she'd make time for you if you didn't keep running to the papers. She would also worry that any conversation with you would end up splashed across the media. Don't make out you're a victim when you're not".

Thomas Markle says Meghan has cut him out of his life | Daily Mail Online

Well I’d be careful about using DM comments as a barometer. There’s just as many articles where the comments are entirely against Meghan.

I believe the lottery thing because without it Meghan’s lifestyle as a child through to college doesn’t add up.

Her father admits to making good money during his peak years but ‘good money’ is relative.

I would say anyone making six figures is making good money. In fact, the median income in US is below $60k in US in 2016. Back date that a few decades, and that's actually an extremely good amount of money. They might not be living in the biggest of the mansions, but it'll pay for an upper middle class life.

The industry was growing and earning a lot of money until the financial crisis hit because of unions and the studios were able to use that to renegotiate all the contracts and scale back A LOT. The unions were able to keep negotiating higher salaries and more benefits for years before that. But when the financial crisis hit, they had no choice but to scale back given the severity of the situation. In fact, some soap stars even had to take major paycuts, and it changed the way the industry worked. Given the number of years Tom Markle was in the business (this affects their pay as well), and they have to pay for overtime (time and half) as this isn't an exempt employment category, they made good money. Especially when the hours weren't managed as well before the economic downturn. But that's only in the last 10 years or so.

And really, what kind of lifestyle did Meghan have? By all we've seen, she had a normal middle class upbringing while going to good schools.

Well I’d be careful about using DM comments as a barometer. There’s just as many articles where the comments are entirely against Meghan.

I think the poster was pointing out how ridiculous this all is when the people that were hateful toward her are actually defending her on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

So I’m confused. Is better or worse for Meghan to have attended private school because of Thomas’ salary or because of his lottery win?

Upper middle class in America means something completely different in Britain.

:previous:

So I’m confused. Is better or worse for Meghan to have attended private school because of Thomas’ salary or because of his lottery win?

Upper middle class in America means something completely different in Britain.

I'm not saying it's better or worse because I don't think it matters either way, just pointing out the flaw in some of the conclusions. The comment I quoted made it seem like there is no other way he could pay for it, but for the lottery win and that somehow allowed Meghan to have a different lifestyle (I'm still confused as to how she lived anything other than normal lifestyle with two working parents who worked hard to pay for a good education, btw).

What does the the difference in upper middle class in America and Britain have to do with this? We are talking about the "lifestyle" of someone while growing up, it's about the money and what they can buy.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's better or worse, just pointing out the flaw in some of the conclusions.

What does the the difference in upper middle class in America has to do with Britain? We are talking about the "lifestyle" of someone while growing up, it's about the money and what they can buy.

But why are people so quick to say it’s Thomas Snr salary and not lottery win that paid for Meghan.

Meghan comes from a country where money means everything, that’s not the case in Britain.

But why are people so quick to say it’s Thomas Snr salary and not lottery win that paid for Meghan.

Meghan comes from a country where money means everything, that’s not the case in Britain.

Because some pointed out reasoning for believing the lottery win, and it didn't make sense. So people discuss. Is there an appropriate amount of time people have to wait before discussing it? :lol:

What does how Britain define upper middle class have to do with the discussion on how Meghan lived as a child, which is the topic here?

Last edited:
I think the poster was pointing out how ridiculous this all is when the people that were hateful toward her are actually defending her on this.

Pretty much. When the same people who loathe her and now defending her, you know things are bad. Thomas went too far with this one and really revealed himself.

Because some pointed out reasoning for believing the lottery win, and it didn't make sense. So people discuss. Is there an appropriate amount of time people have to wait before discussing it? :lol:

What does how Britain define upper middle class have to do with the discussion on how Meghan lived as a child, which is the topic here.

Well you mentioned Meghan’s ‘class’ in a previous post. Although you edited it from upper middle class, to middle class.

It just seems some people are very sensitive to how Meghan’s schooling was paid for.

Tom Sr said in the interview if he sent a birthday card to Meghan it would be checked for explosives. Given his hostile attitude the security teams will have no choice. He will look very foolish if they announce he sent the card and they found something dangerous. He'll need a criminal defense lawyer then.

He jokes while also threatening Meghan and the family. "I will unload on them" is not to be taken lightly. I am sure they have a very close eye on him because he is a loose canon and honestly who knows what he will go if he reaches his breaking point. He already losing it.

Well you mentioned Meghan’s ‘class’ in a previous post. Although you edited it from upper middle class, to middle class.

It just seems some people are very sensitive to how Meghan’s schooling was paid for.

I don't think anyone is sensitive but just questioning Thomas (also Samantha and Tom Jr.) since the stories are all over the place. If he won the lottery and that was put into her tuition. That is great. Meghan's schooling doesn't affect my life. LOL. But people will discuss topic when things seems seem off.

Last edited:
If the parents made the CHOICE to send their child to a private school then yes it is their responsibility to pay for that school. It should be noted that even when it comes to private school some who attend get financial scholarships to attend. Lets not use Meghan going to private school as a way to disparage her. Meghan as a kid did not make her parents enroll her in a private school.

I did not mean to imply anything about Meghan, we were discussing her father. A parent is not obligated to pay for private school, that was Tom’s choice. And it was his choice to pay or help pay for Northwestern, if he did. Despite any assertions on his part, Meghan does not need to show her gratitude for his assistance for the rest of her life. I think we agree on that.

Last edited:

Did not. And I stand by every word. Last I checked, when people are talking about upper middle class these days, they are talking about financially.

I'm not sure how pointing out the flaws of an argument is sensitive to how it is paid for. Is only one side allowed to make their argument?

Last edited:
Did not. And I stand by every word. In the context I was talking about, it absolutely is considered to be an upper middle class family. How UK consider it is irrelevant if we are talking about what kind of lifestyle she had.

I'm not sure how pointing out the flaws of an argument is sensitive to how it is paid for. Is only one side allowed to make their argument?

Thomas Markle has never denied he won a lottery. He’s never denied that’s what paid for Meghan’s lifestyle.

For a guy who’s so concerned about PR, I think he’d refute it if Meghan’s lifestyle wasn’t solely due to his manual labour.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out, what Mr Markle's goal is when he gives these interviews. He cannot honestly think, that after he trashes Meghan, Doria, Harry, the Queen, Meghan and Doria some more, that he will get a call from Meghan inviting him for a tour at BP. He clearly said, that he doesn't agree with Meghan not wanting him to talk about her private life to the press. Does he really expect Meghan to suddenly be fine with it, and him giving interviews about her? What does he expect to achieve?

Thomas Markle has never denied he won a lottery. He’s never denied that’s what paid for Meghan’s lifestyle.

For a guy who’s so concerned about PR, I think he’d refute it if Meghan’s lifestyle was solely due to his manual labour.

I don't think winning a lottery is bad PR. And he does talk about how hard he worked and how he made good money. Look, no one is accusing him of not working hard before he retired. I think the press also is close enough to the industry to know that holding down a job like Tom did means long hours and hard word. The press hasn't said he's a deadbeat that never worked, but only got lucky with a lottery. But I'm willing to bet that if all the headlines today about how he's never worked in his life and only got lucky with a lottery, he'll lash out pretty quick.

I'm still trying to figure out, what Mr Markle's goal is when he gives these interviews. He cannot honestly think, that after he trashes Meghan, Doria, Harry, the Queen, Meghan and Doria some more, that he will get a call from Meghan inviting him for a tour at BP. He clearly said, that he doesn't agree with Meghan not wanting him to talk about her private life to the press. Does he really expect Meghan to suddenly be fine with it, and him giving interviews about her? What does he expect to achieve?

I've always branded him as foolish. I don't think he thinks more than one step at a time. He's upset, so he's going to lash out and look for a quick fix that will make him feel in control for a short period of time. And the ability to talk is the only thing he has control over these days.

Some people will never learn the best thing to do at times is do nothing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know if it will last, but the lengthy DailyMail interview seems to have caused a lot of people to turn on Tom Markle. He’s being criticized now more than sympathized with in my news feed.

I've always branded him as foolish. I don't think he thinks more than one step at a time. He's upset, so he's going to lash out and look for a quick fix that will make him feel in control for a short period of time. And the ability to talk is the only thing he has control over these days.

Some people will never learn the best thing to do at times is do nothing at all.

I actually think he's more calculated than thinking just one step ahead. Each interview he's given lately has had a threat included. In the sun interview, he said he hoped it would be his last interview. In this one he promised to unload on Meghan and the RF. I think he KNOWS that Meghan is done with him, and he's angry, he wants to put her in her place, remind her she owes everything to. But after that, what does he want?

As for his lottery win, I personally don't care how he made his money. My issue is him claiming, that he alone paid for Meghan's education, he did everything alone, and Doria paid nothing, did nothing. And I'm assuming some other posters are disagreeing with this claim too, not necessarily his lottery win.

The saddest thing will be if this onslaught does eventually break Meghan and Harry. That a point is reached where enough is enough. That will not be because of the Markles themselves, but because the media refuses to stop enabling the Markles. Its the media who are creating this drama, not the Markles per se. That's the great pretense the media is hiding behind. The media can pretend they are reporting 'the news', but that's not what they are doing. They are stirring a pot. The media attention is clearly creating chaos in the psyches of these people. Back off! But they won't, and in the end, a sweet story may end badly. I will blame the media in full for what eventuates. Nasty, nasty, nasty!

I really don't think it will. Harry grew up in the War of the Wales and has had to deal throughout the years with drama surrounding his parents marriage. I feel that Meghan has had to deal with behavior from her family like this before, although not being played out in the media. I really hope Harry and Meghan are not reading any of this stuff in the media and are happily oblivious as much as is possible. I am sure they get report from whomever has that job, but I hope it is just a simple, "well Tom Sr. has talked to the media again"

I don’t know if it will last, but the lengthy DailyMail interview seems to have caused a lot of people to turn on Tom Markle. He’s being criticized now more than sympathized with in my news feed.
Everytime this person speaks someone on this board insists the tide is turning against him, and in a few weeks more interviews are being published about him. I stopped counting how many people have claimed the tide is turning against him or Samantha.

I actually think he's more calculated than thinking just one step ahead. Each interview he's given lately has had a threat included. In the sun interview, he said he hoped it would be his last interview. In this one he promised to unload on Meghan and the RF. I think he KNOWS that Meghan is done with him, and he's angry, he wants to put her in her place, remind her she owes everything to. But after that, what does he want?

The fact you are asking what does he want after that is precisely why I think he's only thinking one step at a time. Including going back on his word on that being his last interview. Because that instant gratification wore off. If he actually thought about it, he would've been much smarter about this whole thing. I don't think he has an end goal in sight. It's certainly not to get his daughter talking to him again, because if it was, he would've kept his mouth shut. And if he wanted to make a lot of money off of it, complaining that his daughter won't talk to him just showed that he has no access. It's a man with a bruised ego throwing a temper tantrum. The tiring thing about people that have such thin skin and low self-confidence is that superficial wins are only temporary. The problem is ultimately from within.

Last edited:

To be honest, at this point I don't think even Tom, Sr. knows what he wants out of all of this. He's whining because Meghan won't talk to him due to the evil, nasty and powerful royal family and their protocols and out of the other side of his mouth he's stating he doesn't care what they think and he's going to do as he pleases regardless.

Perhaps he depends on Samantha to tell him what he wants and what he deserves? He's been pretty adamant about being able to state whatever he pleases about Meghan to the press and to me, it sounds like he's parroting words Samantha has also spoken about "freedom of speech".

One thing though is expressed with clarity. He's stated he's wanted to "set the story straight" and improve his image. He is rightly showing the world his true image and his true character and it ain't pretty.

I think public opinion definitely has changed for Thomas. Many people used to defend him. That has drastically changed. That said, that won't change the media from publishing his words. As long as he talks they will listen and print it. He is her father and until he goes too far (and he just might the way he is escalating) they will present the story. I don't fault them. It is news.

Perhaps he depends on Samantha to tell him what he wants and what he deserves? He's been pretty adamant about being able to state whatever he pleases about Meghan to the press and to me, it sounds like he's parroting words Samantha has also spoken about "freedom of speech".

THIS. She's his favorite child for now because she's coddling him and telling him he's right and nothing is his fault and they should all respect him and talk to him. Obviously for her own reasons, but she's telling him what he wants to hear nevertheless. He was pretty quick to turn on her before as well. Mark my word, only matter of time before that relationship blows up.

It had always struck me as ironic that there is an anti bullying campaign going on yet the media gets away with bullying famous people. They are trying to destroy her and I'm tired of the fact that nobody from the legit media will call these people out.

THIS!!! I know there is freedom of the press, but with freedom comes responsibility. Some of the legitimate British media need to start calling out the bullying by these tabloid rags for what it is.

Everytime this person speaks someone on this board insists the tide is turning against him, and in a few weeks more interviews are being published about him. I stopped counting how many people have claimed the tide is turning against him or Samantha.

I don't think anyone is saying DM and such won't capitalize on him, but more and more the opinions of what he's saying is turning on him. There are far fewer people saying today Meghan should contact her dad and do more for him than when the stage photos first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom