The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Thomas Markle Sr. realize how his talking to the press and being paid is an embarrassment? But it does it anyway and wonders why Meghan is giving him the silent treatment. Granted he's done a lot for her while raising her and all her education etc but still.

In order for that to happen, royal rob, TMZ would have to be covering William's Middle East tour.

I seriously don't believe that Tom Sr. understands that Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace or any of the other British palaces are not there to conduct the royal family's personal communications. Nor does the Queen. Its a family run, owned and operated business which is in the monarchy business and that's the first and primary focus of their staff. As it should be.

Meghan has far more things to do, take care of and get adjusted to than to play media wars with anyone and eventually Tom Sr. is going to realize that he's not even close to even being a footnote in things. The wedding was where he would have had a part to play and that's over and done with and he's missed it mostly by his own choosing. There are no do overs.

What puzzles me is how out-of-the-blue all this is. :huh: What? Total silence for months and then he's off and running. Clearly some unusual family dynamics on the Markle side. He had everyone's sympathy (I believe) and he has well-and-good trounced it to the point of now being frozen out of his royal daughter's life from this point forward.

Anything he now says just brings shame down on his head. I hope he sees that at some point. But it's a hole he's digging from which he will never get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What puzzles me is how out-of-the-blue all this is. :huh: What? Total silence for months and then he's off and running. Clearly some unusual family dynamics on the Markle side. He had everyone's sympathy (I believe) and he has well-and-good trounced it to the point of now being frozen out of his royal daughter's life from this point forward.

Anything he now says just brings shame down on his head. I hope he sees that at some point. But it's a hole he's digging from which he will never get out.

I don't think this is the first time it's happened. From what I've read, Meghan's relationship with her dad has been problematic before, they've had periods of estrangement previously. I would not be surprised if this type of selfish and manipulative behaviour was the reason. Some people here were skeptical of him when the photos were first published (before it was admitted that they were staged. I wasn't one of them, but in retrospect I see they were absolutely right.)

Tom is an adult and he chose not to listen to the advice that he admits he was given by Meghan and Harry about the press. I think Tom is also manipulative in his own way. I now doubt that he's a quiet recluse who just wanted to be left alone. I think that was a role he played until he decided he could use Meghan's position to generate money and attention. His behaviour escalated very quickly once she was actually married. I think now we are seeing the real Tom Markle - arrogant, thoughtless, selfish and doesn't care about how his actions hurt his daughter.

I don't think he feels much shame, in his mind his appalling behaviour is justified. He minimized any hurt Meghan and Harry would feel by nonchalantly stating "they'll get over it". He does not seem to have much empathy or concern for Meghan despite his statements of love. I think his comments about being proud of her were because he thought he reflected well on HIM and HE could get something out of it. Now he cannot brag about meeting the Queen or "being part of history", so he persists in continuing to do what he was asked not to do and seems to have no concern about how his actions have and are continuing to embarrass and hurt her.

As far as Meghan is concerned, they say "living well is the best revenge". Although I'm sure this betrayal from her dad really hurts, I hope Harry and her Mom and her new family continue to provide her with support. If I were her, I would would very careful if there are any future dealings with her father, no matter how remorseful he may claim to be.

Everyone keeps saying that Meghan isn't being appreciative of Tom Markle and all he did to cover her expense to raise her and put her in a good school.

Meghan's relationship with her father has had high points and low points all through out her life but she has never once spoken about him in a bad way.

In fact the reason all this was so surprising to everyone is that she has spoken about his role in her life glowingly and generously. She has acknowledged all her has done to make her feel included when she was a child, the draw you own box story. She has been very vocal about the positive aspects of their relationship while always keeping quiet of the negative aspect. This is a courtesy she extends to all Markles she has never once spoken a bad word against them.

I've said it before if he had only continued to say things about her or his personal conversations with her she probably would have forgiven him as she is probably used to him disappointing her before but these attacks on Harry and the Queen, that's a step too far and that's probably what resulted in him being cut off.

Well while it’s true Thomas Markle Sr started blabbing in public in recent times...his scamming endeavours had been going on much longer. He got caught out so likely thought he try something else, a different tactic. Spewing personal stuff about Meghan and her relationship with Prince Harry - publicly :sad:

What gave Thomas the right to give ITV/GMA a photo of Doria for use? The man is just unbelievable. He respects no boundary, much less his youngest daughter’s wishes/plea!

I think it’s absolutely disgusting that all along during his scams with the paparazzi he was colluding with his other daughter Yvonne aka Samantha behind the scenes. Someone who’d been trashing Meghan via the media right from the very beginning since Meghan & Harry’s relationship came to light.

Well while it’s true Thomas Markle Sr started blabbing in public in recent times...his scamming endeavours had been going on much longer. He got caught out so likely thought he try something else, a different tactic. Spewing personal stuff about Meghan and her relationship with Prince Harry - publicly :sad:

What gave Thomas the right to give ITV/GMA a photo of Doria for use? The man is just unbelievable. He respects no boundary, much less his youngest daughter’s wishes/plea!

I think it’s absolutely disgusting that all along during his scams with the paparazzi he was colluding with his other daughter Yvonne aka Samantha behind the scenes. Someone who’d been trashing Meghan via the media right from the very beginning since Meghan & Harry’s relationship came to light.

The guy is definitely not crafty. :rolleyes: Rather than the 'disgusting' look at the whole of it: he's not managing the scenario well for an apparent scammer. Why? Because he isn't (a scammer). We have no evidence that he has ever been a scammer. We have lots of evidence that he's clueless, not quite tracking on the subtleties of this royal business, that he's fuddled. It's easy to sit outside the situation and assume he must know all that we know, yes? But it's not a given.

BTW when elderly folks begin to fail they can function quite well in their limited universe.

Also I was the one (maybe there were others) who saw the photos as fishy, either they were photoshopped (I suggested) or posed. They were weird. Right there you can see that what he was doing was not normal behavior. He was likely doing Samantha's bidding while at the same time failing to inform her that he was indeed talking with and being handled by 'the palace'. Not saying that was what was happening but it's a strong possibility to my mind. It's so inept of a scam. The English with their Monty Python sensibilities should find this whole thing amusing (ouch!). There's nothing despicable, just sad. Old age. Compassion is what is needed, not disgust. JMO.

I think most people see what's happening and regardless of how successful any of us are in making sense of any of it, it really doesn't matter, except to say: see how you can rise above beginnings, leave behind negative influences, and soar! Well done, Meghan! :flowers:

I agree with Lady Nimue-Tom Sr probably functions adequately in his own world but he is out of his depth and listening to the wrong voices. His behavior is just odd. Nor do I believe he understands his youngest daughter's new life in the least. I think it is all very unfortunate but I know people who can be manipulated and would not understand why what they've done is wrong or inappropriate.

It is easy to judge knowing what we here do but we are on the outside looking in, not living it.

They'll ride out the storm as eventually the media and the press are going to find there's absolutely nothing new to be garnered from any of the Markle side of the family and it will die out. Whatever Meghan does decide to do, it will be done to the extent that its not public fodder for discussion.

The guy is definitely not crafty.

Thomas Markle Sr. colluded with a Paparazzi agency to scam the public whilst knowing that Prince Harry and his reps were simultaneously working behind the scenes to warn the media off - on his behalf. He just hadn’t banked on getting caught. Too right the man is definitely shady/crafty.

Thomas Markle Sr. colluded with a Paparazzi agency whilst knowing that Prince Harry and his ppl were simultaneouslyworking behind the scenes to warn the media off - on his behalf. He just hadn’t banked on getting caught. Too right the man is damn shady/crafty.

That's one way of looking at it. :ermm: But we have no reason to believe he is a man of low character in that way. Rather, I don't think he can keep his lines straight. That's all. He's fuddled. That's what I see. Someone crafty would be a tad more sophisticated about it all. He isn't. He may have once been clever and savvy but those were the good 'ol days. No more.

More importantly it's not worth expending anger towards the man imo. He's a side show. A sad one. Compassion more than venom is what he needs methinks.

Last edited:
Thomas Markle Sr. colluded with a Paparazzi agency whilst knowing that Prince Harry and his ppl were simultaneouslyworking behind the scenes to warn the media off - on his behalf. He just hadn’t banked on getting caught. Too right the man is damn shady/crafty.

I don't think it was crafty-I think he figured if there were going to be photos of him anyway, there might as well be some he controlled that were "nice."

That's one way of looking at it. :ermm: But we have no reason to believe he is a man of low character ion that way. Rather, I don't think he can keep his lines straight. That's all. He's fuddled. That's what I see. Someone crafty would be a tad more sophisticated about it all. He isn't. He may have once been clever and savvy but those were the good 'ol days. No more.

More importantly it's not worth expending anger towards the man imo. He's a side show. A sad one. Compassion more than venom is what he needs methinks.

Crafty to me means:
1) When Sr says *I hope they understand* meaning Meghan, Harry and KP in NOT telling them before hand about the interview with GMB,
2) When Sr. takes money for the interview, that could also be *shady* as in behind Meghan's back in taking the money
3) When admitting that he *refused* the very help that Meghan, Harry and KP offered him,

Venom:
This is not *venom*, this is just plain simple *Facts* as stated by Sr himself, nothing more, nothing less.

The man in not a nitwit by any stretch of the means here, he might be and is getting old as that happens to all of us, yet he has all his faculties it seems for he lives *alone* in a foreign country, has a home in Ca also (meaning he must take care of his finances to have this), he had (maybe) heart stunts put in (alone), then watched his daughter marry on a small TV in a hotel room (really I wonder about that), he seems to have sufficient means to get around and do everything for himself. He does not seem like a dumb wit at all, in fact quite capable of doing everything he wants when he wants.....it is more about his *Image* then how this is all effecting Meghan......

Agree to disagree about Sr........:flowers:

I don't think it was crafty - I think he figured if there were going to be photos of him anyway, there might as well be some he controlled that were "nice."

Yes, it's such a 'simple' way of thinking about it all, isn't it? Very naive. He's trying to do it all correctly, to help out, and it's backfiring miserably on him. It's too bad. We are told Meghan cried when he didn't come: she loves him. I think he's a good man. Piers Morgan said he thought he was 'a decent man'. We can argue that it was soft-soap, but I don't think so. I think Piers would have chosen another phrase to soft-soap but he chose that because that was his impression of the man in the pre-interview.

Anyway, I'm more inclined to give the old folks latitude. Only good thoughts to Mr Markle (and even sad Samantha, that poor distressed soul).

I agree with Lady Nimue - Tom Sr probably functions adequately in his own world but he is out of his depth and listening to the wrong voices. His behavior is just odd. Nor do I believe he understands his youngest daughter's new life in the least. I think it is all very unfortunate but I know people who can be manipulated and would not understand why what they've done is wrong or inappropriate.

His behavior is odd, and what he's saying. What he's saying has a lot of similarity to how Samantha thinks. It's hard to gauge what's going on. :sad: I, too, have known people who 'would not understand why what they've done is wrong or inappropriate.' It's a curious thing to see.

It is easy to judge knowing what we here do but we are on the outside looking in, not living it.

Yes, to us it all makes sense, we know the protocols, but to him (even all of them) it may not be so obvious.

Crafty to me means:
1) When Sr says *I hope they understand* meaning Meghan, Harry and KP in NOT telling them before hand about the interview with GMB,
2) When Sr. takes money for the interview, that could also be *shady* as in behind Meghan's back in taking the money
3) When admitting that he *refused* the very help that Meghan, Harry and KP offered him,

Venom:
This is not *venom*, this is just plain simple *Facts* as stated by Sr himself, nothing more, nothing less.

The man in not a nitwit by any stretch of the means here, he might be and is getting old as that happens to all of us, yet he has all his faculties it seems for he lives *alone* in a foreign country, has a home in Ca also (meaning he must take care of his finances to have this), he had (maybe) heart stunts put in (alone), then watched his daughter marry on a small TV in a hotel room (really I wonder about that), he seems to have sufficient means to get around and do everything for himself. He does not seem like a dumb wit at all, in fact quite capable of doing everything he wants when he wants.....it is more about his *Image* then how this is all effecting Meghan......

Agree to disagree about Sr........:flowers:
Thank you so much for your common sense approach on this. Much appreciated. :flowers:

Your whole post hits the point perfectly.

The Markles lost in the court of public opinion with the antics and obvious greed. They went underground because they realized they made themselves objects of scorn and ridicule. Has GMB made any comments about Sr's freezeout from the palace? Has Piers condemned them from treating Sr so"poorly"? Dad has not been forced to do the pap photos or the interview for a fee.

For Lady Nimue - general response to your posts. ?

Well, like I've already mentioned, I judged people by what they say and do.

I don't know if you defend Thomas Markle because you genuinely think he has been wronged or whether it's an intellectual excersize for you. And it doesn't matter. Suffice to say I'm glad I'm not on your side in this matter, because that sure is a hard task! :lol:;)

But back to Thomas senior.

He has been babbling away in interview after interview. - When he could have kept his mouth shut.

He has been more than willing to disclose even fairly private details about his daughter.

Even if he is right when he is suggesting that he is the one who has been, shall we say, neglected here. There was no need for him talk about any issues there may be between him and his daughter in public.

He did take part in an "arranged" paparazzi shoot. - He didn't have to, right?

There is an old saying: If you haven't got anything good to say about people, don't say anything. I will claim that is even more apt when it's about your own daughter!
What is wrong with him keeping his mouth shut? Or (even with the help of the palace) issuing a blah-blah statement, expressing his delight for his daughter, and best wishes and hope to see her when he gets better, blah-blah...
Even if he was being hypocritical, that would be the safe and decent thing to do.

It's one thing to make a mistake and being lured/conned/taken advantage off to say something inappropriate to the press. It's an entirely different matter to repeat the mistake!

Not only that, he had to be political! Why on earth possessed him to drag QEII and President Trump into the whole thing?!? You have to live in a cave in Tibet, not to know that politics is a big no no in regards to royals.

We must also assume that he has read or even been told what people think about what he has been saying and doing so far. And if he is being the caring and loving dad, he would like to give the impression of being, surely he would realize his mistakes and seek to rectify them? Either by keeping his mouth shut or seek assistance. Perhaps phoning his daughter: "Hi, Meghan. Eh, I screwed up. Help!"

What matters to me is that we see that Harry and Meghan very much wanted to include her father in the wedding celebrations. They still offered forgiveness and understanding after the staged photos came out, they sat silent while Tom Sr. played games with TMZ instead of going through the proper channels regarding his supposed health and attending the wedding. After the wedding they called him then they went on their honeymoon. They return and immediately begin working and living their lives and yet Tom Sr. is upset and demanding a sit down with The Queen and they barely had a chance to start their married lives together. Sorry but you don't just whine to the press because The Queen is not at your beck and call. There is NO excuse for his behavior.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. In fact, I've been avoiding it because I have nothing nice or good to say about Meghan's father and the debacle he's caused by constantly speaking to the press. I had some compassion for him when he was caught colluding with the paps. But the moment he spoke to TMZ, I was done feeling sorry for him. He is a grown man who's continuously making choices that he believes is best for himself, clearly not considering what harm or embarrassment he is causing his daughter and that is unacceptable. I look to Doria on how a parent should be behaving now and I applaud how she has handled it all. Thank goodness Meghan has at least one parent she can trust.

What matters to me is that we see that Harry and Meghan very much wanted to include her father in the wedding celebrations. They had clothing made not only for the wedding but other events. They offered security, they offered to have a minder set up for him during the wedding, they worked behind the scenes to stop the press from invading his privacy. They still offered forgiveness and understanding after the staged photos came out, they sat silent while Tom Sr. played games with TMZ instead of going through the proper channels regarding his supposed health and attending the wedding. After the wedding they called him then they went on their honeymoon. They return and immediately begin working and living their lives and yet Tom Sr. is upset and demanding a sit down with The Queen and they barely had a chance to start their married lives together. Sorry but you don't just whine to the press because The Queen is not at your beck and call. There is NO excuse for his behavior.
Turns out he was aiding the media to invade his own privacy all along...:lol:

But yes, I feel sad for Meghan’s husband and her in laws, and of course Meghan, too. No one deserves that.

I think Tom Markle was a good father to his daughter growing up, for the most part. From Meghan's words, from her teachers words and even from the words of the friend who sold her out. I am sure they had their issues, but he seemed to absolutely dote on Meghan.

I think because she was by all accounts close to her dad, this betrayal hurts deeply.

I do do think the drama with her dad is hurting her more than perhaps people are giving credit for.

Tom should think about his daughter and what he is putting her through. His comments about her were very lovely and effusive in the GMB, but one thing that struck me was how much he kept saying "MY daughter." It just struck me as a very self centered viewing of Meghan and very possessive.

Meghan very obviously wanted him apart of her life. And while I do find it strange that he never met Harry, but more and more I think it was on HIM and him avoiding meeting Harry. I have no doubt Harry would have flown to MX or to LA if TM himself didn't want to fly.

I do think Tom is fully in his faculties and is much more media savvy than people give him credit for. He knew what he was doing was wrong hence the lies to the palace and to his daughter.

What matters to me is that we see that Harry and Meghan very much wanted to include her father in the wedding celebrations. They still offered forgiveness and understanding after the staged photos came out, they sat silent while Tom Sr. played games with TMZ instead of going through the proper channels regarding his supposed health and attending the wedding. After the wedding they called him then they went on their honeymoon. They return and immediately begin working and living their lives and yet Tom Sr. is upset and demanding a sit down with The Queen and they barely had a chance to start their married lives together. Sorry but you don't just whine to the press because The Queen is not at your beck and call. There is NO excuse for his behavior.

Your summary all the more points to something odd about his behavior. :sad: Excuse is not the word, rather explain, and the explanation requires compassion. JMO.

Turns out he was aiding the media to invade his own privacy all along...:lol:

But yes, I feel sad for Meghan’s husband and her in laws, and of course Meghan, too. No one deserves that.

Well, it's something Meghan's in-laws are well acquainted with, not so? :ermm: Not so long ago they had exactly that kind of self-serving and misguided behavior in one of their own. Funny how dynamics have a way of reappearing. Harry must be more understanding than most.

This all start back in March when he decided to work with a paparazzi to stage fake photos, so it has been going on for 3 months now. That's only one month less than the period between engagement and the paparazzi set up.

Not sure that he had everyone's sympathy. I had a bad feeling about all of this since the engagement interview when Harry and Meghan told the world that Harry hadn't met her father yet. To me that was a clear indication that something was seriously off (at least between Meghan and her dad).

I was rather indifferent about him before but was pleased that both parents were included in the announcement.

Last edited:
In order for that to happen, royal rob, TMZ would have to be covering William's Middle East tour.

I seriously don't believe that Tom Sr. understands that Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace or any of the other British palaces are not there to conduct the royal family's personal communications. Nor does the Queen. Its a family run, owned and operated business which is in the monarchy business and that's the first and primary focus of their staff. As it should be.

Meghan has far more things to do, take care of and get adjusted to than to play media wars with anyone and eventually Tom Sr. is going to realize that he's not even close to even being a footnote in things. The wedding was where he would have had a part to play and that's over and done with and he's missed it mostly by his own choosing. There are no do overs.

It is sad to think about the loss of the wonderful relationship Thomas Markle could have had with Meghan, Harry, and the Royal Family if he had just been there for Meghan and behaved himself. He could not help the heart problems, but he could have helped the way he handled it. As it is, I imagine Doria will have a wonderful relationship with H & M as well as Charles and Camilla. And she will have full access to the grandchildren and be a part of H & M family life, but Thomas Markle has messed that up, unless he shows true repentance for his actions.

I would imagine any amiable relationship that existed between him and Doria is probably kaput too.

This all start back in March when he decided to work with a paparazzi to stage fake photos, so it has been going on for 3 months now. That's only one month less than the period between engagement and the paparazzi set up.

To me that is within the 'out-of-the-blue'. It's all recent, tho the interviews are the most recent after such a long time of avoiding any such and even having said something to the effect that 'everyone [in his family] needs to shut-up'. It's with such instances that one can see the glaring disjunct in the man. He's not consistent.

One thing that is upsetting here, why is so many blaming this *OLD AGE* on Tom Sr? Do you realize that the world is full of people that are in very industry out there that are OLD.....we are not all senile, there are kings, queens, least we forget here HM of all people is OLD and she works daily and is in totally control of her decisions and how she lives her life.

Sr first of all *lives in foreign country alone*, he has property to take care of in the upkeep, in finances, he makes decisions each and every day as to what he wants to do, he is in touch with the world, he not sitting somewhere out of touch with the world, he either cooks at home or eats out(that right here shows me he makes decisions on what he wants to eat), he makes daily decisions all the time, so please give me a break with this *OLD AGE* crap! He had, well he said *he had and do we know for sure or was this another feel sorry for me thing he wants us all to believe*, this so called stunts put in *alone* somewhere, did anyone see Sam or Jr come to his aid?

:previous: And that is common sense speaking out loud and clear. 73 isn't "old" by any means these days.

There are no excuses for bad decisions. Only consequences. Its unfortunate that Mr. Markle chose to go the route he did and it most likely has cost him dearly as he is finding out. We are getting to the point now where we never hear at all from Tom Jr. and even Samantha has been quiet lately. Tom Sr. should follow suit and just get on with his life. These people's minutes of fame has reached their expiration date. The wedding has come and gone and Meghan is settling into her new life and, if I've learned anything from royal watching Harry, they will do whatever it takes to keep their private lives private even if it means ostracizing one of Meghan's parents.

An earlier mod note asked that everyone move on from discussing how much help KP and the BRF gave Thomas Sr. and who is responsible for the actions he has taken. So those comments have been deleted.

I’ve also deleted a ton of comments speculating about Meghan's thoughts/feelings, Thomas Sr.'s finances, his mental health, his parenting skills and how involved he was in Meghan's life when she was growing up.

As has been stated before, let's stay away from discussing the health and mental state of Meghan and her family members, and let's also move on from the age discussion.

If you feel a post (or posts) are against the forum rules, please report it instead of commenting in the thread.

Last edited:
I still have trouble seeing Sr as a scammer. His two oldest children are, for sure. And the deals with the paps and GMB have Samantha’s fingerprints all over them. I wonder if she isn’t pocketing a hefty share of the money for herself. But he’s also blabbing to TMZ for free. No, I think he’s garden variety selfish and shortsighted. Just like he was reportedly once so focused on his happy little new family with Doria and baby Meg to the point of alienating his other kids, now his thoughts are so full of how frustrated he is with his public image that he’s not bothering to think about how his actions and words impact others.

I’m not defending him. It’s awful. I just don’t think it’s the crafty, scamming flavor of awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom