Sussex Royal - The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s pretty clear that the BRF have tapped Harry and Meghan to have their focus of work veer somewhat international/Commonwealth going forward. They have both been given Commonwealth position/offices, which seemed to be hinted at when she made such a point of having all of the Commonwealth represented on her wedding veil. That focus builds quite logically on his pre-Meghan history of African volunteer work and the Invictus games. The BRF is not simply the royal house of the UK. The queen has always placed great importance (moreso, I think, than many of her British subjects, especially those I see commenting here) on the role that her household plays in Commonwealth countries and the opportunities they have to make a difference on a global scale.

If the Sussex foundation is going to do work that tackles some of the most pressing issues in the poorest Commonwealth nations, they are going to need a lot of donations from all over the world. And if they want American corporate donations, or a seamless partnership with like-minded charitable groups with US headquarters, they need to be registered in the US as a 501(c)3.

As far as I am aware, H&M's roles within the Commonwealth are focussed on youth affairs. It is not the entire "international/Commonwealth" space.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, H&M's roles within the Commonwealth are focussed on youth affairs. It is not the entire "international/Commonwealth" space.

They are the most youthful of working royals, after all. Seriously, though, youth engagement and development is generally one of the areas where the BRF has felt most free to take a very direct hand in charitable work, even domestically (see also: the Prince’s Trust’s, the Duke Edinburgh Award, Kate’s work regarding children’s mental health, Anne’s very hands-on patronage of Save the Children, Sophie and Eugenie’s work for pediatric medical charities, etc.), so it’s where you expect them to be most active with the Commonwealth as well.

While that may be their primary focus it isn't their only focus. Meghan is also working with higher education through ACU. In addition, we have seen Meghan involved in Women's issues/business and Harry with conservation in the Commonwealth countries they have toured thus far.

Last edited:
Lets not forget too that the Queen, herself, has named both Harry and Meghan as the President and Vice-President of The Queen's Commonwealth Trust. To me, this shows clear intent for Harry and Meghan to devote a lot of their work to something near and dear to the Queen's heart. Her Commonwealth of Nations. She's also ensured that her son, Charles, will succeed her as the Head of the Commonwealth of Nations.

This isn't to say that the focus on the Commonwealth will solely lie with Harry and Meghan and, yes,, a lot of the focus in on the youth in the Commonwealth but it is with the young that the future lies.

Even with them focused on youth affairs they take a back seat to the Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC)

“The CYC is the officially recognized voice of more than 1.2 billion young people of the Commonwealth. It is the largest and most diverse youth-led organization in the world.”

Read more: Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC)

The Commonwealth is far too vast an organisation for any one or two royals to do everything.

Every member of the BRF is a Commonwealth ambassador

All Royals have been working on Commonwealth Nations in their own capacity. No one role is bigger than the other except for the Head of Commonwealth of Nations.

This organization is a charity related to Youth/ young people. Looking at a pull of working royals, there are only 4 that can be considered Young (Harry, William + Wives)

William need to focus on taking full responsibilities of heir to the throne. The trip to Israel and now Pakistan proves that, not to mention Duchy of Cornwall activities. I can't see the Queen sending Prince Harry to Israel or even Pakistan.

William will likely become head of commonwealth one day - so he and his wife are not the right fit to head a charity organization that narrow the focus on one set of population. That leaves Harry + wife.

I think the name of organization make it appear more important than what it actually is. My view off course. I welcome all head hunters to chew my head now :)

Last edited:
SussexRoyal have trademarked a great many number of things ahead of the launch next year including printed matter, books, promotional material, sock, scarves, trousers and even bandanas. The trademarks were filed back in June 19.

Confused - hoping this has been done to prevent others from selling stuff under their name rather then them selling stuff themselves. Maybe I wish too much.

https://news.sky.com/story/duke-and...n-trademark-their-brand-sussex-royal-11896586

a strange move indeed, as i doubt many other royals trademarked their brands. in fact, i don't think the cambridges, the POW&DOC, etc have a brand as such. they just operate under their titles or the name of the 'operational HQ' they belong to (kensington palace, clarence house, etc). i wonder what their motivation is. maybe they plan to use the money they get from these sales to feed money to their charities and hence want to protect it?

a strange move indeed, as i doubt many other royals trademarked their brands. in fact, i don't think the cambridges, the POW&DOC, etc have a brand as such. they just operate under their titles or the name of the 'operational HQ' they belong to (kensington palace, clarence house, etc). i wonder what their motivation is. maybe they plan to use the money they get from these sales to feed money to their charities and hence want to protect it?

This isn't a strange move, other royal foundations have made similar moves, including the Royal Foundation when it was William/Harry/Catherine. The Sussexes don't have any ulterior motives they are following procedures that other royals have taken.

It's not odd at all. Sussex Royal is the name of their foundation. If you check, you'll find that all of the associated foundations (and businesses) of other royals also have registered trademarks. The Prince's Trust has had more than two dozen of them, the Royal Foundation (of the Cambridges) has one, and Duchy Originals also owns several (including trademarking the word "Duchy").

I'm pretty sure this has been covered before, but trademark works on the basis that you lose your trademark if you don't protect it. If they don't register it and defend their trademark, anyone can start selling Sussex Royal shirts and hats and turning a profit from it.

There's absolutely nothing untoward happening here.

Yes, and the Cambridges trademarked The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on June 24, 2019 and the same great many number of things.

And the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry was trademarked for goods and services in July 2012.

SussexRoyal have trademarked a great many number of things ahead of the launch next year including printed matter, books, promotional material, sock, scarves, trousers and even bandanas. The trademarks were filed back in June 19.

Jumping off of the DM reporting this (old) news as new without any context. :bang: Including the fact that the Princes Trust, Cambridge foundation and many other orgs and charities do this to protect themselves from liability. The organization I work for does this too. Its standard across sectors, entities and organizations. In addition, merchandise is actually an important and sometimes good way to generate revenue for an org and has the added benefit of helping spread name recognition for a charity. Many not for profits, NGOS, charities have merchandise available. So it wouldn't even be that untoward if that was the plan.

This is irresponsible reporting...

I am really excited about the Sussex Royal launch...

Last edited by a moderator:

You would be incorrect. The others have done it as well.

A number of comments have been deleted. Let’s keep the discussion on the Sussex Foundation and not turn this into a discussion about the media.

Last edited:
I guess all the merchandise for sale at the Buckingham Palace shop would be trademarked as well. I don't see anything wrong with the Sussexes doing the same thing to protect their charity from unscrupulous shysters.

Can’t wait for the official launch of the Sussex Royal Foundation. Can’t wait for this couple to get back to work and see where they will take this foundation.

Much of the Royal equivalent to “branding” is covered by UK law (specifically, the Trademark Act if 1994) without the need to apply for specific trademarks. Essentially, the Royal names, arms, seals, etc., including those of their traditional residences, are given similar protections by the law to those given to registered trademarks, along with the right to refuse trademark applications they consider to be too close to their own “brand.” So the offices going by the names of the residences in which they are housed (BP, KP, CH) don’t need a trademark. They’ve got the equivalent already.

But foundations and offices with names a step removed from what the law automatically grandfathered in, such as Royal Sussex, need to take the step of registering for a trademark to legally protect against their logos, names, etc. being appropriated by unaffiliated groups. A quick google search shows that The Prince’s Trust (begun by Charles) and the Duke of Edinburgh Award (Philip) have long held registered trademarks, and those are the organizations I would most assume to set the example for beyond-the-palace efforts of the BRF.

As per the most recent announcement, there no longer are plans for a Sussex Royal Foundation, thus this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom