Staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to Ms. Pickerall on her new adventure. It is a shame though that the Duchess will be losing Amy as her secretary.

Amy Pickerill to quit after Meghan's baby is born. She is moving abroad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6788497/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-Meghan-loses-key-Palace-aide.html

Of course some will regard this as confirmation of Meghan as 'Duchess Difficult'. All the same, in spite of this presumably being a move for personal reasons it is a disappointment, IMO. I thought Amy would replace Samantha Cohen.

I don't see how the press can swing the 'difficult Duchess' on this one. She is so difficult that the woman has fled the country :whistling: Actually I might not put it past the DM to suggest she fled in middle of night to escape Meghan :lol:

Good luck on her new adventure where ever that is taking her :flowers:

Amy and Samantha always seemed temporary to me. Well perhaps Amy would stay on if she and Meghan were a good fit. But they were selected quickly to fill a need with Meghan when she entered the family. Hopefully with the time left with Amy, Meghan will be able to select someone who will suit her needs to fill the role.

A small personal story: until a few months ago I worked in a different place than I do now. About 3 months before I quit the manager who hired me left and one of his VP was promoted in his place. Within 2.5 months five of us quit and left. All of us left because of her (I do want to note that while she is a lovely woman and made a good VP she still had a lot to learn about being a good manager specifically in terms of communication relations and umm anger management).

She was the main reason I choose to quit, and I was the last one to do so because I wanted to support my fellow woman and give her a real shot because I do like her as a private person and was impressed with her as one of the VP’s. I did make sure to have a new job* (which was actually a surprise offer) lined up and ready before I left and used that as part of the reason for me leaving- as well as other “personal” reasons; and like all smart people I kept my mouth shut regarding her being the main reason, because you never know.

Which is why I do raise a slight skeptic eyebrow about the reasoning for Amy’s leaving, as well as the others (besides Samantha who we know was meant to be temporary from the start). Any smart CEO would tell you that such a huge turnover rate of employees in one specific department usually means there is a management problem. Most people usually quit a job because of a bad manager, no matter how good the perks are. Simple as that.

Maybe the rumors are tru, maybe they’re not. But it does not change the optics of how this looks: too many people (in high level positions) leaving Harry and Meghan employment in a succession of less than 6 months.

Also, I don’t know why you thought she gonna there temporarily? I did not find anything at all suggested such a thing.

Last edited:
Just going to throw this in here for what its worth. I read a lot and many of the books that I've read over the past decade have to do with the monarchy and the British Royal Family. One thing I've discovered is that a staff member that sticks to one job or one royal is an exception rather than the rule. Backstairs Billy was devoted to the Queen Mother and is an exception. Paul Burrell, known for being Diana's butler, started out in the household of Buckingham Palace. Royal equerries that serve the monarch and senior royals only do so for a tour of three years and are selected from senior military officers. Office staff is constantly changing. So are the protection officers.

While I'm sure there are royals and staff that clashed and they moved on, the departure and the hiring of different office staff since Meghan married Harry is quite normal. From what I understand, the pay in these positions are not extraordinary but to have worked for the BRF (in any aspect) is golden on a resume.

Its been said that Amy is leaving and moving abroad. People in jobs do fall in love, marry and move on to other things and other places. I'm going to take the announcement made as truth.

Amy Pickerill quitting doesn't seem hugely significant to me, when you look at it on its own. I don't remember reading anything that indicated that hers was a short-term appointment, but plans change, and she may have decided that after the baby is born would be a good time to move on.

On the other hand, it's a data point, and time will tell if her leaving after such a relatively short period of time is part of a larger pattern of staff leaving Meghan's employment quickly. It's too soon to draw a conclusion one way or the other right now.

A small personal story: until a few months ago I worked in a different place than I do now. About 3 months before I quit the manager who hired me left and one of his VP was promoted in his place. Within 2.5 months five of us quit and left. All of us left because of her (I do want to note that while she is a lovely woman and made a good VP she still had a lot to learn about being a good manager specifically in terms of communication relations and umm anger management).

She was the main reason I choose to quit, and I was the last one to do so because I wanted to support my fellow woman and give her a real shot because I do like her as a private person and was impressed with her as one of the VP’s. I did make sure to have a new job* (which was actually a surprise offer) lined up and ready before I left and used that as part of the reason for me leaving- as well as other “personal” reasons; and like all smart people I kept my mouth shut regarding her being the main reason, because you never know.

Which is why I do raise a slight skeptic eyebrow about the reasoning for Amy’s leaving, as well as the others (besides Samantha who we know was meant to be temporary from the start). Any smart CEO would tell you that such a huge turnover rate of employees in one specific department usually means there is a management problem. Most people usually quit a job because of a bad manager, no matter how good the perks are. Simple as that.

Maybe the rumors are tru, maybe they’re not. But it does not change the optics of how this looks: too many people (in high level positions) leaving Harry and Meghan employment in a succession of less than 6 months.

Also, I don’t know why you thought she gonna there temporarily? I did not find anything at all suggested such a thing.

So Amy is leaving because of Meghan? She is not just leaving. She is moving to another country.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: No, she isn't leaving because of Meghan. It is being reported she is pursuing a job abroad. Her friends have commented that it has nothing to do with Meghan. But we all know the media will spin things any way they can.

Suggesting its Meghan would be a far stretch. I am sure she could get a job in the UK if she was truly unhappy with Meghan. Not blacklisted in the UK :lol:

:previous: No, she isn't leaving because of Meghan. It is being reported she is pursuing a job abroad. Her friends have commented that it has nothing to do with Meghan. But we all know the media will spin things any way they can.

Suggesting its Meghan would be a far stretch. I am sure she could get a job in the UK if she was truly unhappy with Meghan. Not blacklisted in the UK :lol:

I know....

So Amy is leaving because of Meghan? She is not just leaving. She is moving to another country.

I didn’t say she was the reason. Nor did I say she wasn’t the reason.

All I am saying, based on personal professional experience (of which the above story is a small part of) and mere logic (based on said experience and the school
Of life lessons), that it is odd that so many individuals in the top positions suddenly decided to resign within a 6 months period.

Yes it is common for the low rung positions to be changed often in the royal family, but not top positions. (The exception really being the Queen equerry, and I reckon it is done so to provide as many retired soldiers the honor of serving her majesty in such a matter). But if you look at hers and Charles, and even the boys offices... those who run the show for them usually tend to be in their position for a good few years before leaving or being promoted or moving to another household in a similar position. For the royals someone whom they can trust is a top priority, hence why top positions don’t get replaced after a year or two- good trust worthy people are hard to come by.

In an office, when a new manager starts sometimes there is a drip of employees leaving or being fired, but rarely is it so many of the higher ups. In this case we have about 5 high level individuals having left or leaving in a 6 months period. The reasons the palace is giving are logical, but... what else would one expect the palace to say if there is indeed issues? Of course they won’t come out and claim such a thing and by so trashing a member of the family.. they will be jobless in a second.

So again? Is this because of Meghan or another reason? The truth is we may never know, unless one of them speaks; but in my experience the quick succession in which this is happening is causing ME personally to raise a skeptic eyebrow. It’s just too much of a coincidence for me to say: this is just a coincidence.

But ymmv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how the press can swing the 'difficult Duchess' on this one. She is so difficult that the woman has fled the country :whistling: Actually I might not put it past the DM to suggest she fled in middle of night to escape Meghan :lol:

Good luck on her new adventure where ever that is taking her :flowers:

Amy and Samantha always seemed temporary to me. Well perhaps Amy would stay on if she and Meghan were a good fit. But they were selected quickly to fill a need with Meghan when she entered the family. Hopefully with the time left with Amy, Meghan will be able to select someone who will suit her needs to fill the role.

Well, the Duchess lost at least three key aides in six months or so. It doesn’t prove she is “difficult “ to work with, but it certainly adds to the speculation.

I didn’t say she was the reason. Nor did I say she wasn’t the reason.

All I am saying, based on personal professional experience (of which the above story is a small part of) and mere logic (based on said experience and the school
Of life lessons), that it is odd that so many individuals in the top positions suddenly decided to resign within a 6 months period.

Yes it is common for the low rung positions to be changed often in the royal family, but not top positions. (The exception really being the Queen equerry, and I reckon it is done so to provide as many retired soldiers the honor of serving her majesty in such a matter). But if you look at hers and Charles, and even the boys offices... those who run the show for them usually tend to be in their position for a good few years before leaving or being promoted or moving to another household in a similar position. For the royals someone whom they can trust is a top priority, hence why top positions don’t get replaced after a year or two- good trust worthy people are hard to come by.

In an office, when a new manager starts sometimes there is a drip of employees leaving or being fired, but rarely is it so many of the higher ups. In this case we have about 5 high level individuals having left or leaving in a 6 months period. The reasons the palace is giving are logical, but... what else would one expect the palace to say if there is indeed issues? Of course they won’t come out and claim such a thing and by so trashing a member of the family.. they will be jobless in a second.

So again? Is this because of Meghan or another reason? The truth is we may never know, unless one of them speaks; but in my experience the quick succession in which this is happening is causing ME personally to raise a skeptic eyebrow. It’s just too much of a coincidence for me to say: this is just a coincidence.

But ymmv.

The very fact she is leaving the country suggests that she isn't leaving because of Meghan. But because of a work opportunity. People don't flee the country because Meghan is controlling.

Samantha Cohen always planned to leave with the palace and move on. Before Meghan and Harry were engaged. She was convinced to stay on for some time, and help Meghan with the wedding and early months. The timing of her leaving has just been played into this 'difficult duchess' talk.

You are right, senior royal aids don't just leave after a year or two. But we have to remember many of these aids switch offices often. Samantha had worked for the palace for 17 years before she left. She announced her plans to move on, in 2017. She was the queen's assistant private secretary for 10 years before she agreed to help Meghan out. She was convinced to remain on until 2019 to help Meghan but was always planning on departing. It had nothing to do with Meghan as she was in the queen's employment when she announced her plans to resign.

Amy has only worked for the royal family for over 2 years now. She was chosen to help Meghan adjust to her role during her engagement/wedding. Like Samantha it sounds like it was meant to be temporary anyways. Her moving to another country for work sounds to anyone thinking Logically, she is moving for career reasons and not because of a pushy boss.

As for Melissa she doesn't fit the 'senior royal aid' bill. She was hired specifically to help Meghan with the wedding. She wasn't one of the long time staff members who were shifted over to Meghan's office like Samantha. She was a former private assistant for Robbie Williams before she worked for Meghan. Working as a private secretary/aid for a royal is a highly demanding job. Clearly some people aren't built for that pressure.

Unlike Melissa who being a personal assistant was her past career, both Samantha and Amy were not. Amy worked in communications. Before she was hired to work in the communications department for the Cambridges/Harry, she worked for the Royal Bank of Scotland and for Oglivy. Its not strange to think that she would return to her normal career path, in communications. While there is a lot of prestige of being the private assistant to a royal, there isn't much job growth and it is a lot of demand on ones private life as well. Its one where people will likely move on with time.

I know....

Then why ask :ermm: Ask a question, someone is bound to answer.

Well, the Duchess lost at least three key aides in six months or so. It doesn’t prove she is “difficult “ to work with, but it certainly adds to the speculation.

Exactly.

The rapidity with which staff is changing makes it look like a revolving door.
We may never know for sure, but it is bound to arouse suspicion.

Ah, but this aide was "hand-picked," which is hilarious to point out since NO RF aide has their name picked by random draw out of a hat.

Seriously, though, we also don't know how long any of these people were intended to stay. If Harry and Meghan are looking for someone to stay for years and years, they need to start asking different questions in their vetting process. Or explaining expectations more clearly.

Or maybe, the Sussexes hire people on a trial basis. Because it is not just your average job. Maybe from the get go, both sides agree that if it's not working great after 6 months, that moving on is healthy (it is!).

I also think it's silly to assume The Duchess is the issue. Maybe Harry is a pain these days. Maybe the men grey suits are being problematic. Maybe the money stinks. The hours are longer than expected. The glamor is not all that glamorous. The travel is exhausting. Housing around Windsor is a horror. There are life changes. Any combination of that!

Heck, I don't know. But I have seen lots or weird stuff happen in employment situations that no one was expecting.

Ah, but this aide was "hand-picked," which is hilarious to point out since NO RF aide has their name picked by random draw out of a hat.

Which this make you wonder... why would they pick a communication person for a PS position? Surely there had to have been a few other qualified individuals within the various royal households for a PS position

Seriously, though, we also don't know how long any of these people were intended to stay. If Harry and Meghan are looking for someone to stay for years and years, they need to start asking different questions in their vetting process. Or explaining expectations more clearly.

Both William and Harry had aides which were (and are still there in William and Catherine case) with them for years. So either those people were picked for them or something changed

Or maybe, the Sussexes hire people on a trial basis. Because it is not just your average job. Maybe from the get go, both sides agree that if it's not working great after 6 months, that moving on is healthy (it is!).

That is a very bad idea for a royal to do, and I don’t think it has ever been done. As I said, the royals due to their position need someone they can trust no matter what, hence why references are taken and why they tend to shift people within the households when possible. Playing the “trial basis” game is very unproductive as well.

I also think it's silly to assume The Duchess is the issue. Maybe Harry is a pain these days. Maybe the men grey suits are being problematic. Maybe the money stinks. The hours are longer than expected. The glamor is not all that glamorous. The travel is exhausting. Housing around Windsor is a horror. There are life changes. Any combination of that!

Harry has had aides working for him for over a decade, and both left in the last 6 months.
The men in the grey suits are only a pain if you misbehave and are doing something that may bring problems to the family- their job is to protect the family reputation. It is why Them and Diana (and Fergie) ended up clashing.
Everyone knows the money stinks working for the royal family- though one would assume a PS position will pay a tad bit better. But the prestige of having worked for a royal (a loved one that is) tends to keep many at the top positions for a good period of time
The hours can be odd, but it also appears most royals try to finish their engagements and be home by tea time.
Having already worked in the royal family for a bit, I doubt Amy- or anyone- thinks this is glamour work.
That I can understand, depending on where one lives
Why would housing around Windsor matter? While Harry and Meghan will live in Windsor I highly anticipate their offices to remain at Kensington. Also
I think it is safe to assume that by the time Amy was hired it was a done deal that they were relocating to Frogmore, so she likely knew.
Unlike Samantha, at no point were we told Amy position was temporary.

Heck, I don't know. But I have seen lots or weird stuff happen in employment situations that no one was expecting.

Which is exactly why the royals don’t play around when hiring, one or two top aides leaving in the course of 12 months can be brushed off as “personal situations”

My points in bold.

Again, whether or not the issue is really Meghan we may never know. It is the optics of the situation that is the importance here. Seeing as William and Harry managed to keep aides on for many years- but now married, Harry has lost two long time aides plus at least one who we can only assume was meant to stay on for longer than a year. Well it does lead people to wonder if the issue is Meghan, or potentially the combination of Harry and Meghan.
I also think I now understand why maybe Samantha was asked (or decided) to stick around longer than the 6 months, because there is a need for someone to steer the ship as other are jumping.

Again, so many top aides leaving over the course of less than 9 months is not the common thing in royal households, and in fact not in any place I ever worked at - unless there was a problem with management and people were running for the hills because of it.

Maybe Amy is at the point in her life where she has decided she wants more to her life than working long hours and doing lots of traveling. With Harry and Meghan's roles it it highly likely they will have frequent trips abroad. It could be hard to have a relationship, much less a family with that kind of schedule.

Or maybe she liked the people she worked for, but it wasn't the career she really wanted. A private secretary to a Royal is very different than being a communications officer, which is what she was before Meghan.

Last edited:

In the case of Samantha we do know. It was known in 2017, before the engagement, Samantha planned to leave. Around the time Geidt did. She was convinced to stay on to help Meghan with her transition into royal life. The only question wasn't if she would leave, but when she would leave.

The fact that Amy is leaving the country seems evident she isn't simply leaving because of Meghan. No one flees the country because of a bad boss. Clearly she was looking for a different role, and found one. If it was simply about Meghan, she would have left her job and found something else there.

The only one who seems to have quit due to Meghan is Melissa. And we have little data about what exactly she did for Meghan. Little was known of her before she quit. Unlike Samantha and Amy, she wasn't a previous royal employee. She was newly hired. Perhaps she simply didn't work out. Maybe considering her bad mouthing to the press, she wasn't the one who chose for the job to end.

That strange ex-PA of Meghan noone had heard of before she left the Royal service, Melissa, who was playing a "key and pivotal role in the success of the Royal wedding" has now found a new job. (Took her long enough, IMHO).
She, according to the DF, "has been snapped up by Natalie Livingstone, journalist wife of billionaire Richard Livingstone who owns super-posh stately home Cliveden House. Melissa is to be weekend nanny for the couple and their three children at their £20million Notting Hill home."
What a career step for her! "Weekend nanny" for 2 adults and three children.

Oh my!

I don't see the need to diss someone or their career choices and call them strange. She has a job, is caring for other people not a worthy job?

I don't think any of these departures are, in themselves, a problem. Samantha was only ever temporary, Amy is young so was probably at the point of deciding whether to devote herself to the royals for her career or move on. The departure of Melissa was a little odd maybe but finding a good PA you get along with can he hard.

However, three departures in such a little time would causes eyebrows to be raised. I manage a few teams of people and if one of those saw 3 people leave in a few months I would be asking why and speaking to their team leaders to ask why such a high turnover. Likely there would be perfectly good reasons for such departures - a career change, moving, retiring etc but I would still question it to see if there was a bigger issue in that team.

who is left now in meghan's entourage? did they hire already for all those positions who had people leaving? i know not long the papparazzi had pictures of meghan and a male aide going for a working lunch. any word on who is stepping up to these positions?

was Amy Pickerill not a fairly new member of the aides party anyway? shame they are leaving so soon specially since meghan is a new RF member and would need the support to adjust to the new duties.

It doesn't seem to me that staffing matters for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is anything for us royal observers to be overly concerned about. That is unless any of us are planning to uproot, move to London/Windsor and apply to work for H&M ourselves. ?

Apparently, the muckraking tabloids haven't anything substantive to write about and no royal tours to focus on. Why don't we hear more about what Princess Anne and Prince Charles & the Duchess of Cornwall are doing in service to the crown, rather than all of this rampant speculation regarding H&M's personal and household staff? It's no wonder that Meghan steers clear of most print and online media, except for publications such as The Economist. I think the conversation amongst Meghan and the other International Women's Day panelists at Kings College the other day, is much more newsworthy and meaningful than 'muddled' speculation about royal aides moving on. In any case, most non-tabloid reports include the fact that Meghan is very close to Amy Pickerill, and that Amy will continue to be a close confidante to Meghan even after moving on to other pursuits.

The male aide who took lunch with Meghan some weeks ago is Christian Jones, whose official title is Deputy Communications Secretary to the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and to the Duke & Duchess of Sussex. Jones formerly worked as a Press Secretary for the British government on matters dealing with Brexit. (A bit of irony re the theme of entities leaving other entities :lol:)

Last edited:
I don't see the need to diss someone or their career choices and call them strange. She has a job, is caring for other people not a worthy job?

I just found it strange that we had never heard of her before, and then she becomes first "just Melissa" who walked out on Meghan because the Duchess is too "difficult", with her as the living proof and means for the DF to kick Meghan down, a lot later we learn her last name and that "a source was authorized" (by whom? Why not make that a statement by an official speaker? Normally the Palace keeps absolutley quiet under such circumstances) praises her highly and now she is headline news when she starts after quite some time as "weekend-nanny". Soi for me she played the DF's game but did not get a real life reward. So that's what I wanted to point out, not the person and her motives to take on such a job.

I thought it's been clearly said why these people have quit their job, each time. None of them were because of Meghan. Amy is moving overseas, Samantha quit even before she started to work for Meghan, but was convinced to stay longer. The protection officer quit the entire job. Only one with allegedly leaving because of Meghan is Melissa, and she seems to have been chatty with the tabloids, as they now know her next job too. It might explain why she isn't working for Meghan any more. Imo it's unfair to try to insinuate, that Meghan is the reason for these departures, when aside from Dailymail claims, that's just not the case. Jmo.

Things are changing and not only in the staff of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Ever since Philip retired and William and Harry and Kate stepped into roles as full time working royals and their roles and focuses are changing. I do believe what we're seeing overall is a soft transition from monarch to monarch as the Queen slows down and is handing off more and more of her charities and patronages to the younger royals and is slowing down more and more which is common sense seeing as the Queen is approaching 93 years young.

Add into that the flurry of activities of 2018 with Harry being engaged, having a royal wedding and starting a family. He also happened to marry a woman eager to join the team and jump right into her own royal role rather than remain on the sidelines to "learn the ropes" and gingerly dip her toe in the water. Meghan hasn't been a member of the royal work force yet for a year and already has had the Queen entrust to her some pretty important work.

As the work force changes in the "Firm", so is the staff that works to keep things running smoothly. The temporary placements did their jobs perhaps while the search was on to find staff that was more in tune with the changes in the royal roles. Christopher Jones is one that will work for both couples in the communication department. Whether working as part of the "fab four" team for the Foundation, as a partner team for Commonwealth purposes or her own individual endeavors, Meghan wants and needs personal staff she can attune with, is adept at managing what needs to be done and can communicate with other staff of other royals to assure things go smoothly.

Communication between KP, CH and BP has been reported to be a right royal mess quite a bit and I've lost count on how many complaints there have been about keeping the CC up to date just among us here. This is a time of transition and restructuring and reforming "how things work" not only for Meghan but actually the entire "Firm".

We get to see these changes as they happen and pay attention to them. We're eagle eyed in that respect. We also see how easy it is to spin something into a "scoop" for those that just read the scoops and not follow the intricacies of day to day life in these people.

Last edited:
From what I can see and what I have heard of Meghan's relationship with Amy. I can see her encouraging Amy to take advantage of the new opportunities, see more of the world etc. Something Meghan herself did and seemed to enjoy.

I think the aide is moving overseas, so there could be personal reasons why she is leaving.

Then again, all career moves are not geared to be "movin' on up... to the east side". Sometimes a move is made because its what makes a person happy with what they're doing. Perhaps being a weekend nanny allows her for to pursue other interests. I've heard of big city slicker lawyers moving to small town USA and becoming a furniture maker because that's what made him happy.

We just don't know.

I could not agree more with you. None of us in the public domain know the truth, but it certainly seems to be the case that after years of a fair amount of stability, there is a reasonable amount of staff turnover now.

Last edited:
I'm really confused here. Who are the three key aides MEGHAN has lost? And from their departures,what makes it seem like the office isn't a happy one? If someone could direct me to anywhere where it's stated, I'd be really grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom