Staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite! It seems that "a palace source" now has a name, perhaps she is even an actual person but I have my doubts. Magic Melissa arrived shortly before the wedding and was "pivotal". I call BS,

I have no problem believing Meghan rises at 5am, I've done so myself and while my inner night owl believes anyone that gets up at "oh five oh dark " (military jargon) when they don't have to is obviously seriously whacked, I only do that to compensate for my robotic stagger to the programmed coffee pot.

But seriously folks, ideas come in the quiet, be it oh one oh dark (for compulsive night owls) or the above said 0500hrs. It is a serene time when there is no one and nothing to distract you. It happens to me all the time and I either send an email or program a text to arrive at 0800hrs. Anyone that doesn't turn their notifications to silent at night is obviously addicted to their phone and would be well advised to get a life.

But something else rang a bell. Working third string for part-time royals and then stepping up to full time was probably quite cruisy what with Catherine on Maternity Leave. Meghan would expect a professional workplace just like the office that ran the studio she worked in. Just like most of us have worked in, Just because you work for the royal family does not mean they expect their staff to work at a genteel pace and present the required information at afternoon tea the following day!

The advent of Meghan must have seriously shaken them up. Perhaps William and Harry were not hands-on so long as they get what they need, but they were raised royal and a lot of what and why something is happening they already knew because they lived it growing up. Meghan arrives full of energy, confidence and hands-on life experience. She is introduced to the "Office" and thinks that everyone is going to feel copacetic. However, I have a feeling that more than one would have seen her input and questions as interference or perhaps even a complaint. They've done things this way forever and every new employee learnt that way.

But there is much she knows she doesn't know and needs to learn and so wants her research and if it's going to take longer than she expects to get it, she needs to be notified just like office environments she has worked with. That is, after all, what the staff is employed for and the mythic Melissa must have thought she'd put her finger in an electrical outlet. So yes, Meghan is disrupting things but surprisingly Samantha grooves to it because let's face it, she's paid her dues at the firey coalface of BP. Amy seemed to take her lead from her.

I am not sure if Samantha has been persuaded to stay or not but, if she hasn't, that is no mark against Meghan. HM originally persuaded her to stay on and help Meghan ease into royal life. I've enjoyed seeing her in the background smiling or grinning at the way things are going at an engagement and I feel she would have given Meghan feedback on every occasion.

It is quite interesting reading other peoples point of view, Windsor Castle has been there for 1000 years, the House of Windsor (in that name ) 100 years, the queen traces her ancestors back hundreds of years, no need for ancestry.co.uk for her.
How many weddings coronations, funerals, trooping the colour, state banquets etc. I think the royal household know what they are doing and yes modernisation is no bad thing as we have seen over the years.
But to assume that Robbie Williams ex PA was pivotal in the successful wedding and that Meghan has arrived to shake everybody up is over the top.
Because only Meghan has a work ethic and the royal family dont do anything but they will now because Meghan arrived to shake things up. Utter nonsense.

In any new situation it takes time on all sides to settle down, but to assume that the royal household must now do things Meghans way is wrong, although I except within her own home she is entitled to run that as she wishes.
Out of interest if the PA was that good why did she leave Robbie.

Not sure what to make of this WELTER of speculation, but [from personal experience], I know Californian's can be abrasive to work for/with, and than American's sometimes 'don't fit with the Brits in their employ...

We simply have different 'modus operandi'.

Yet there are so many Americans living/working there and Brits here...so they must figure out a way to rub along well enough.

LaRae

Because only Meghan has a work ethic and the royal family dont do anything but they will now because Meghan arrived to shake things up. Utter nonsense.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting all royals and royal staff are lazy. I’d be willing to bet a brisk work pace is expected in Buck and Clarence Houses. But perhaps the worker bees at KP got a little spoiled by working for part-time royals. As I said in an earlier post, I have a hard time believing the Queen or Princess Royal (or the Prince of Wales, to branch out from the women of the family) are sleeping late, holding back ideas about what work should be done or refraining from sending communications to their staff the way that whomever is leaking to the press seems to think Meghan ought to do.

they must figure out a way to rub along well enough.

Oh, indeed, but not without 'teething problems'...

Yet there are so many Americans living/working there and Brits here...so they must figure out a way to rub along well enough.

LaRae

Interestingly, KP has at least one American in senior position.

Not sure what to make of this WELTER of speculation, but [from personal experience], I know Californian's can be abrasive to work for/with, and than American's sometimes 'don't fit with the Brits in their employ...
We simply have different 'modus operandi'.

Definitely some serious truth in this statement. And I think you've said it far better than I have but this is what I've been trying to say all along. Like it or not, American culture and British culture are two very, very different things. And frankly, no matter who you are, it behooves you to have a little humility and acclimate yourself to the new climate when you're entering a new workplace, a new family, a new culture, etc. rather than expecting that established group to adapt to you and your way of doing things. I can't really say that I'm even remotely surprised that these kinds of rumblings are making themselves known with regard to Meghan and her entrance into the royal world. The royal world is so vastly different from that of American culture and especially Hollywood culture, it really is no great shock that there would be some growing pains and some tricky situations in everyone trying to adapt to each other. Now, we have no idea if the rumors are even remotely true and while I daresay they've been exaggerated to the max, I also tend to believe that where there's smoke there's fire and we'd all be a bit dense to think that Meghan could just seamlessly blend into the royal life. While most Americans wouldn't see rising at 5 a.m. and sending 6-7 texts a day as demanding and diva-like, the British culture does seem to have a different approach. I know that when my brother lived in England for several years it took him quite a while to adjust and he definitely set a few noses out of joint because they perceived him to be rude, abrasive, and demanding when in reality he was simply an American naval officer used to cranking out much of his work beginning at the 4 a.m. hour. Any time you enter a new environment it's a time for taking a backseat, quietly learning how things are done there, and slowly integrating yourself with that new environment and I suspect that anytime a newcomer shows up with loads of ideas, energy for days, and a list of what he or she wants accomplished it may not sit well with the staff that has been doing the job for years.

Oh, indeed, but not without 'teething problems'...

Oh of course...I think that's how it is even when moving to a new job within your own culture.

LaRae

Definitely some serious truth in this statement. And I think you've said it far better than I have but this is what I've been trying to say all along. Like it or not, American culture and British culture are two very, very different things. And frankly, no matter who you are, it behooves you to have a little humility and acclimate yourself to the new climate when you're entering a new workplace, a new family, a new culture, etc. rather than expecting that established group to adapt to you and your way of doing things. I can't really say that I'm even remotely surprised that these kinds of rumblings are making themselves known with regard to Meghan and her entrance into the royal world. The royal world is so vastly different from that of American culture and especially Hollywood culture, it really is no great shock that there would be some growing pains and some tricky situations in everyone trying to adapt to each other. Now, we have no idea if the rumors are even remotely true and while I daresay they've been exaggerated to the max, I also tend to believe that where there's smoke there's fire and we'd all be a bit dense to think that Meghan could just seamlessly blend into the royal life. While most Americans wouldn't see rising at 5 a.m. and sending 6-7 texts a day as demanding and diva-like, the British culture does seem to have a different approach. I know that when my brother lived in England for several years it took him quite a while to adjust and he definitely set a few noses out of joint because they perceived him to be rude, abrasive, and demanding when in reality he was simply an American naval officer used to cranking out much of his work beginning at the 4 a.m. hour. Any time you enter a new environment it's a time for taking a backseat, quietly learning how things are done there, and slowly integrating yourself with that new environment and I suspect that anytime a newcomer shows up with loads of ideas, energy for days, and a list of what he or she wants accomplished it may not sit well with the staff that has been doing the job for years.

Assuming any of this is true....I have a hard time believing that the staff within KP etc are having this issue with the idea of a demanding boss or work schedule. It's as if they never met The Queen, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, the DoE etc...all known to have a tremendous work ethic and not to mention some of them at least very no nonsense.

If because the pace of the younger royals is slower and/or they aren't quite as hard core with work since before they were 'part time' royals ..well now they get to earn the rest of the salary.

Ultimately ...if you don't like the job when things change or management changes then find a new one. There's always going to be someone else waiting for your position.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an excellent summary of the situation. When the DofE first arrived on the scene there was similar rumblings although not in public. It all came out years later. I am quite sure there are hiccups which will be ironed out but for some contributors to blame any problems on KP not being used to full time working royals is a poor comment. Some contributors cannot see past Meghan and everything is everybody else's fault.

This is an excellent summary of the situation. When the DofE first arrived on the scene there was similar rumblings although not in public. It all came out years later. I am quite sure there are hiccups which will be ironed out but for some contributors to blame any problems on KP not being used to full time working royals is a poor comment. Some contributors cannot see past Meghan and everything is everybody else's fault.

Since none of us know what is or isn't true then it's just as possible that there are also work issues with the staff at KP. Any theory can be lobbied at this point.

LaRae

I mean heck one can flip it and say everyone blaming it on Meghan when it could very well be the fault of a lazy staffer who apparently has quit two jobs within the year.

No one knows anything. Everyone is speculating. And for the record I don't believe any of it. The press doing way too much and when they are including people like ELF's planned exit to Meghan's arrival then I really can't take it seriously.

I mean heck one can flip it and say everyone blaming it on Meghan when it could very well be the fault of a lazy staffer who apparently has quit two jobs within the year.

No one knows anything. Everyone is speculating. And for the record I don't believe any of it. The press doing way too much and when they are including people like ELF's planned exit to Meghan's arrival then I really can't take it seriously.

And really, if we are going to use high staff turnover as a reason to label someone difficult. Meghan is NOT the most difficult in the royal household. There has been high turnover in multiple places. But of course, everything is Meghan's fault. They even blamed two BP resignations on her and then had to run a retraction months later in small print. :whistling:

Now they are onto inflating the turnover in Sussex household to push that narrative. There has only been one supposed, and unconfirmed, resignation that is with unknown reasons to us. ELF was always going to leave, it was matter of when is the best time. They decided together that the best transition time would be after the wedding is done and settled for a new beginning. Samantha Cohen has not announced her resignation from Sussex household. However, she was announced as Interim Private Secretary only. It was never intended to be a permanent position. But of course, it's all because Meghan is SOOOOO difficult. GMAB.

Last edited:

Bingo. I don't particularly understand the whole "Meghan can do no wrong" way of thinking but to each his own, I guess. She's human just like all of us and like every other royal and therefore not even close to perfect. I'm always a little shocked, though I shouldn't be at this point, when some posters choose to place blame on everyone and everything else but are absolutely convinced that there is no possible way that Meghan could have done or said anything other than the absolute perfect thing and that anyone and everyone who might think otherwise is clearly biased and picking on her. :whistling:

And really, if we are going to use high staff turnover as a reason to label someone difficult. Meghan is NOT the most difficult in the royal household. There has been high turnover in multiple places. But of course, everything is Meghan's fault. They even blamed two BP resignations on her and then had to run a retraction months later in small print. :whistling:

Now they are onto inflating the turnover in Sussex household to push that narrative. There has only been one supposed, and unconfirmed, resignation that is with unknown reasons to us. ELF was always going to leave, it was matter of when is the best time. They decided together that the best transition time would be after the wedding is done and settled for a new beginning. Samantha Cohen has not announced her resignation from Sussex household. However, she was announced as Interim Private Secretary only. It was never intended to be a permanent position. But of course, it's all because Meghan is SOOOOO difficult. GMAB.

Thanks for finally bringing this out. The media has rushed to judge and completely disregarded the facts inorder to rush and solidify this narrative that Meghan is "demanding, diva, other, not an english rose" all this based on shoddy evidence.

They are trying to create a narrative not tell the truth. For me before I believe anything that comes from the tabloids I need the CONTEXT, because we know how they like to manipulate facts in order to create a narrative that may be false.

Until I get the full context of the story, I tend to take these stories with a grain of salt. There could be one element of truth, but when filtered through sources with a clear AGENDA, that truth becomes warped.

Bingo. I don't particularly understand the whole "Meghan can do no wrong" way of thinking but to each his own, I guess. She's human just like all of us and like every other royal and therefore not even close to perfect. I'm always a little shocked, though I shouldn't be at this point, when some posters choose to place blame on everyone and everything else but are absolutely convinced that there is no possible way that Meghan could have done or said anything other than the absolute perfect thing and that anyone and everyone who might think otherwise is clearly biased and picking on her. :whistling:

I don't think she can do no wrong but I mean many also seem to think she can't do anything right either. And when that is pointed out we get into this very conversation. It is a different side of the same coin. :whistling:

The media doing what they do best. They throw out a story and let it turn into a jumbled mess that everyone eats up -- true or not (usually). I mean how many stories about Meghan have papers had to issue retractions about now? We have a country's high commission demanding apologies. Organizations banding together to defend the integrity of an institution that was accused of something just because they were connected to Meghan. Fellow journalists are distancing themselves from the alleged rumor. Robert Jobson saying he has no idea why some linking his book to it comes to mind.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Last edited:
But seriously folks, ideas come in the quiet, be it oh one oh dark (for compulsive night owls) or the above said 0500hrs. It is a serene time when there is no one and nothing to distract you. It happens to me all the time and I either send an email or program a text to arrive at 0800hrs. Anyone that doesn't turn their notifications to silent at night is obviously addicted to their phone and would be well advised to get a life.

Actually there are plenty of reasons why people don’t turn their phones off at night. For instance, I have a sick relative and I need my phone on all the times just in case something happens. My younger brother is in the military and when he is deployed, my mother is glued to her phone. So, it’s quite unfair to label anyone who doesn’t turn off their notifications, as being addicted and needing “to get a life.” A boss texting their employee early in the morning and late in the evening (off work hours), is rude. If they have something to say, put it in an email and wait until working hours.

Having said that, I don’t believe the stories about Meghan texting at 5 am. In fact, the story doesn’t even suggest that. It says she gets up at that hour and then sends multiple texts a day.

Last edited:
Actually there are plenty of reasons why people don’t turn their phones off at night. For instance, I have a sick relative and I need my phone on all the times just in case something happens. My younger brother is in the military and when he is deployed, my mother is glued to her phone. So, it’s quite unfair to label anyone who doesn’t turn off their notifications, as being addicted and needing “to get a life.” A boss texting their employee early in the morning and late in the evening (off work hours), is rude. If they have something to say, put it in an email and wait until working hours.

Having said that, I don’t believe the stories about Meghan texting at 5 am. In fact, the story doesn’t even suggest that. It says she gets up at that hour and then sends multiple emails a day.

The texting at 5am is an example of how people warped the original story which only said she got up at 5am, also she sends 6-7 emails per day. Originally they are two separate pieces of "evidence" not related. Also originally they said EMAILS not text but I guess to make Meghan look EVIL they conflated the 5am wake up with texting at 5am which is not true.

Are we REALLY condemning a woman for waking at 5am?? I mean REALLY?????

When we think about it, its not surprising that the KP staff is kind of in an uproar. It started out that the KP staff went from handling three part time royals and not that long ago, jumped to four (count 'em.... four) full time working royals. KP staff isn't the only one that has had people coming and going. So has the Queen's staff. So has Charles' staff. Turnover of staff is not a new thing. One thing for sure is that working on a palace staff goes really, really well on a resume.

No one knows for sure what internal problems there really are in KP's staff and I seriously doubt that information would be made public other than to announce a hiring or a leaving. We're not told the reasons and I'm pretty willing to bet my last mini cherry pie that those that work as staff are under a non disclosure agreement.

The press loves tsunamis in a tea cup as they generate attention and revenue. Unless its announced by KP itself, I consider the stories bird cage liners. :D

One thing I think we can be pretty sure of is that Meghan is very adept at texting when she gets an idea. If I remember right, when Harry and Meghan were dating, they were spotted on a train (I believe) and they weren't talking but instead texting each other. That way they couldn't be overheard.

Sending a text via a smart phone, no matter what time it is, doesn't require an immediate answer but the information is on the receiving end to peruse when they get the time. Just like its not required that you answer a ringing phone if you're up to your neck kneading a pie crust. :D

In fairness as an actress she probably had a fair few early morning calls for filming so its not like she can just change routine over night. I often wake early and send e-mails etc fully expecting them to be ignored until people are in the office. I wouldn't text somebody as thats intrusive. I think you have to remember the Royal Household is probably the most British of work places and Meghan the actress probably comes from a very different work background. There are bound to be teething troubles.

One thing I think we can be pretty sure of is that Meghan is very adept at texting when she gets an idea. If I remember right, when Harry and Meghan were dating, they were spotted on a train (I believe) and they weren't talking but instead texting each other. That way they couldn't be overheard.

Sending a text via a smart phone, no matter what time it is, doesn't require an immediate answer but the information is on the receiving end to peruse when they get the time. Just like its not required that you answer a ringing phone if you're up to your neck kneading a pie crust. :D

Of course no one is obligated to answer immediately, but I imagine if someone’s boss is texting them (as opposed to emailing them) most employees would feel obligated to reply. It’s rude and unprofessional for a boss to text during off-work hours and that’s why most employers don’t do it. From what people have said about Meghan, she sounds like a kind and considerate person, so I doubt she would be sending 5 am texts. Plus the article never stated she does, so I’m not sure why there is a continual debate about it.

I don't think she can do no wrong (her outfit to Celia McCorquedale's wedding, need I say more?), but I just don't think she's what the tabloid is trying to paint with this recent narrative. Unless someone wants to tell me any specific example of her being "Hurricane Meghan" and "demanding and difficult"? I'm giving them every benefit of the doubt, and not even going into whether or not the events they said happened happened or not. I'm just going by what they said happened and it still doesn't reach what they are painting her as.

Lord, I hope no one would have a problem with a strong, mature, passionate and hard working woman being a senior member of the royal family. Because by reading some of the tabloid mess and some of the comments on social media, some see these admirable qualities as a threat. It’s not!

Last edited:
(Since the Sussexes do not have a staff thread, I would expect this would be the place to post this news.)

The couples' interim private secretary will be resigning in April 2019. From what I recall the Sussexes think highly of her and did want her to stay on but it would appear that Samantha Cohen has decided to move on.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ohen-amid-duchess-difficult-rumours-8zz9t5b2l

The couple’s highly regarded private secretary, Samantha Cohen, has let it be known that she intends to leave after Meghan’s baby is born next spring.

Last edited:
It’s nothing new. Samantha was announced as Interim Private Secretary. I don’t know if they ever officially gave a time frame, but it’s always been said as six months.

And I find it odd that they continue this narrative just to lay something at Meghan’s doorstep. Last time I checked, Samantha Cohen is Interim Private Secretary to TWO royals. But let’s continue the blame the woman train.

That answers the question about Samantha Cohen. She's staying for longer than originally intended so that shoots down any theory that Meghan is causing staff to run for the hills. :D

Back in May, when The Queen’s private secretary resigned, it was reported that Samantha would only be an interim placement with the Sussexes.

Seems like some press, are trying to make fake news stories by implying something different from what they originally reported last April & May.

Even Samantha Cohen leaving a job that was never going to be permanent has not been allowed to stand without pointed insults about 'Duchess Difficult'.

Meghan's bodyguard to quit after just six months in the job - weeks after her PA walked out - as protection officers 'find the Duchess's wish to be "one of the people" challenging'

A top female police officer is leaving her job as chief protection officer to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The highly regarded inspector was the first woman to have held such a key role in keeping members of the Royal Family safe.

She played a critical role in whisking Meghan away from a crowded market in Fiji following security concerns.

But last night, after about only six months in the position, it was reported that she is resigning from Scotland Yard.

In the article it states that this woman is not only leaving the Royal Protection Squad but Scotland Yard and the London Metropolitan Police Force. So it appears she has made a decision to leave police work behind altogether, hardly something to hold Meghan responsible for.

It’s an odd article. It doesn’t actually list any specific incident to explain what the challenge of “being one of the people” is? It goes back to the Fiji incident, which isn’t anything related to that. But I supposed they want to continue to paint a certain narrative of Meghan without any evidence or incidents. And listing Sam Cohen, who was always temporary, leaving as because of Meghan, GMAB. Perhaps they should actually go back why she resigned from HM’s office as why she’s leaving the royal family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom