Staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the article it states that this woman is not only leaving the Royal Protection Squad but Scotland Yard and the London Metropolitan Police Force. So it appears she has made a decision to leave police work behind altogether, hardly something to hold Meghan responsible for.

I noticed that too. That’s literally the story but it’s buried in there because that’s not interesting. I get Meghan sells but come on.

She maybe leaving the Met because there’s no other options if she didn’t want to guard Meghan. If it was such a good gig she probably wouldn’t leave in the first place

Last edited:
All of Met can't find one position?:lol:

Sometimes people don't leave a job because they don't like it, but for other opportunities. I don't know about UK, but in US, high end private security or contracting is a lot more lucrative than public work.

There are literally thousands of reasons people leave the police beyond one supposedly difficult protectee (who is far from the only member of the family to want to get as involved with the crowd as possible). The Met has had a lot of retention problems for many years. Including because the same job privately pays a lot more.

Last edited:
In the article it states that this woman is not only leaving the Royal Protection Squad but Scotland Yard and the London Metropolitan Police Force. So it appears she has made a decision to leave police work behind altogether, hardly something to hold Meghan responsible for.

I agree there's no evidence that Meghan has caused the woman to quit. She might want to move to a different part of the UK & could have a job lined up with another police force or perhaps going to work privately as personal security for people overseas. I imagine her skills would be highly sought after & rewarded.

I would imagine too that those that contacted the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard to get a statement of just *why* these departures are happening, they would run into the standard brick wall they're very used to being "No Comment". ;)

Since we are on this topic, I will say, one thing that bothered me about the reporting on this is that they made some pointed remarks and put the attention on this woman during a very high profile tour. That was even before the Fiji issue. It does make security's job difficult as they are supposed to blend in for the most part. That's not just to make their charge more comfortable, but it is actually better in terms of their ability to protect their charge. I would think that made her job a lot more difficult than anything else.

Of course the tabloids had a field day reporting that *gasp* she wore a skirt and looks pretty. When was the last time they reported on a what a male RPO wore?

Last edited:
They also did a whole spread on the fact she wore heels. They put a lot of attention on her during the tour constantly pointing her out. Honestly if I were offered a private gig with more money and less media hassle, I would jump at it. Either way wish her the best!

There are literally thousands of reasons people leave the police beyond one supposedly difficult protectee (who is far from the only member of the family to want to get as involved with the crowd as possible). The Met has had a lot of retention problems for many years. Including because the same job privately pays a lot more.

Agree. This is the most plausible explanation.

Had she left for "adjustment" reasons, she would simply have been assigned to a new job within the police, and there could be reason to speculate that it might be because she had personal issues with her charge.
But as she is leaving the police altogether, this smells more like she has been headhunted to a new and no doubt much better paid job in the private security sector. A former protection officer, who had some seniority, is an attractive employee for security firms.

JMO, but I have never thought being a RPO was a great job for a great law enforcement officer. There is little need for investigation, opportunity to influence, the scrutiny must be crazy and the pay is not great. I wish her all the best.

It doesn't sound good four people quitting the job working for her !

Where do you get 4? Edward Lane Fox was known to be leaving the summer of 2017---before Meghan was even engaged to Harry. He officially left in summer 2018. There has long been talk about his wife's health as a reason for his departure---not Meghan.

Samantha Cohen was always a temporary/interim position. She originally LEFT the BRF because of drama and disagreements with Charles' decisions. It was very clear at the time she came on board in the summer of 2018 that she was only sticking around for a few months at the request of the Queen. So again, how is that on Meghan?

As for the PA, who knows the story with her? Same with the protection officer. She was the head of their joint security team, not just Meghan's RPO (I dont recall even seeing her with Meghan outside of the Tour).

Wrong thread - but the RPO is leaving the police force altogether not just (allegedly) quitting her job.
Samantha Cohen was announced as a TEMPORARY aid from the very beginning(and actually stayed longer than the intended 6 months).
ELF announced his retirement LAST SUMMER.
So the only person who 'quit', is this mysterious Melissa who has never been seen or heard of before the alleged quitting.

Take from this what you will. ;)
I take, that the trash mags have papers to sell and can't be bothered to generate actual content.

I don't understand why you post this article. It has nothing to do with Meghan.

Well its unfortunate you can’t see the obvious. She’s Meghan’s bodyguard and she’s leaving her job, as Meghan’s bodyguard. Does that make it any clearer?

Well its unfortunate you can’t see the obvious. She’s Meghan’s bodyguard and she’s leaving her job, as Meghan’s bodyguard. Does that make it any clearer?

So? Roya Nikkhah from the Times said,

Meghan’s protection officer, who is understood to be leaving the Metropolitan police, was described by colleagues as “brilliant” and highly regarded in the force. Her appointment as Harry and Meghan’s chief protection officer was hailed as groundbreaking and is likely to be a significant loss to Scotland Yard and to the duchess, who champions the promotion of women.

The bodyguard gives up her police career. It has nothing to do with Meghan.

While there is no suggestion of any personality clash relating to the departure of Meghan’s royal protection officer.

The Met was unable to confirm the identity of the bodyguard or any career plans she might have.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-quit-after-less-than-a-year-in-job-qvrm933k3

Last edited:
:previous: It's still a story about someone who works/worked for Meghan. I'm not seeing why that wouldn't be of interest to some people, or why it should not have been posted.

:previous: It's still a story about someone who works/worked for Meghan. I'm not seeing why that wouldn't be of interest to some people, or why it should not have been posted.

Thank you.

You answered your own question Marlo:

relating to the departure of Meghan’s royal protection officer.

This is the departure of Meghans RPO, whilst at no point have I said she's leaving because of Meghan, her departure has happened whilst she has worked for the Sussexes therefore is in this thread of their forum.

Last edited:
I think it's inaccurate to say that RPOs "work for" the person they're assigned to. To the best of my knowledge, the protectee doesn't get to choose the officer, though they can state that they prefer a man or a woman. The RPO is paid by and responsible to the Met police. The Met makes the rules about how many officers a royal has and the scope of their protection (i.e., some royals only being covered when on official engagements).

Moreover, if someone "works for you", part of that is directing their work. In the case of royals and RPOs, the RPOs make decisions about the royal's security and expect the royal to comply with security decisions.

This isn't an employment relationship, and to paint it in the same light as the PA or Samantha Cohen leaving is disingenuous on the part of the papers.
And once you consider how ridiculous the story "woman who said she was going to quit but agreed to stay for six months is now at the end of those six months" is as evidence of *anything*, then you're left with "a single PA left after a short period of employment and appears to have been disgruntled." :ermm:

I think it's inaccurate to say that RPOs "work for" the person they're assigned to. To the best of my knowledge, the protectee doesn't get to choose the officer, though they can state that they prefer a man or a woman. The RPO is paid by and responsible to the Met police. The Met makes the rules about how many officers a royal has and the scope of their protection (i.e., some royals only being covered when on official engagements).

Moreover, if someone "works for you", part of that is directing their work. In the case of royals and RPOs, the RPOs make decisions about the royal's security and expect the royal to comply with security decisions.

This isn't an employment relationship, and to paint it in the same light as the PA or Samantha Cohen leaving is disingenuous on the part of the papers.
And once you consider how ridiculous the story "woman who said she was going to quit but agreed to stay for six months is now at the end of those six months" is as evidence of *anything*, then you're left with "a single PA left after a short period of employment and appears to have been disgruntled." :ermm:

Correct. The bodyguards are in a pool and assigned to duties, not to a specific person. They are employed by the Police, not by the Duchess of Sussex.

Couldn't help but notice how Samantha Cohen was still very much with the Duke and Duchess today....
She must not have been counting the days of those 6 months it seems. Quite odd for someone who was eager to escape the clutches of the American wrench, the Destroyer of all Good and British.

Last edited:
Couldn't help but notice how Samantha Cohen was still very much with the Duke and Duchess today....
She must not have been counting the days of those 6 months it seems. Quite odd for someone who was eager to escape the clutches of the American wrench, the Destroyer of all Good and British.

No kidding! Also there is Amy Pickerill, who has been working closest to said Destroyer for the longest. Still smiling after a year! :lol:

I th

Being a bodyguard is still a very vital relationship.. If RPO and his or her Royal don't get on, it is not likely to work out very well...

Being a bodyguard is still a very vital relationship.. If RPO and his or her Royal don't get on, it is not likely to work out very well...

Unfortunately, I think the RPOs are no longer permanently assigned to one royal, rather they work on rotation now.

Unfortunately, I think the RPOs are no longer permanently assigned to one royal, rather they work on rotation now.

Indeed, the DM was amongst a number of newspapers reporting how the Queen was unhappy at having new protection officers all the time with former Royal protection officers saying it would compromise the security offered. Now of course this Protection Officer works solely for Meghan...

Indeed, the DM was amongst a number of newspapers reporting how the Queen was unhappy at having new protection officers all the time with former Royal protection officers saying it would compromise the security offered. Now of course this Protection Officer works solely for Meghan...

I thought she was the Chief Protection Officer in charge of Harry & Meghan's security team-not actually Meghan's RPO. That was what was groundbreaking--other Royals have had female protection officers.

I agree with the Queen and former RPOs--I think not knowing your RPOs and them not knowing you seems counter productive.

One of the RR had a story this week that she has again extended her stay until after the birth and there is a suitable full time replacement

I really hope that Samantha changes her mind and stays. When she does depart eventually there will still be those gloating articles about 'another staff member leaves' and hinting that Meghan is a bosszilla.

Senior adviser to Cambridges and Sussexes stepping down after 10 years

The special adviser to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is stepping down from his post.

Sir David Manning, 69, was received by the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday afternoon upon relinquishing his appointment, the Court Circular recorded.

The key aide joined William and Harry’s household a decade ago in 2009, when the brothers’ royal profile was growing, and he went on to mentor Kate and, more recently, Meghan.

Sounds to me like someone is happily heading off into retirement after a job well done. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom