Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're showing video of Harry at the airport in Afghanistan getting ready to catch a flight home on CNN now. They did comment that he was very down about the whole situation, he certainly looked sad...I bet after 10 weeks had went by he probably was feeling good about really finishing out his full time.

They're showing video of Harry at the airport in Afghanistan getting ready to catch a flight home on CNN now. They did comment that he was very down about the whole situation, he certainly looked sad...I bet after 10 weeks had went by he probably was feeling good about really finishing out his full time.
I'd like to think that Prince Harry prides himself on not asking anybody to do what he wouldn't do himself by serving.

I admire Prince Harry for wanting to keep to his commitments. Perhaps this was the one thing in his life that was earned, that made him equal with other men and women. I hope he can continue to serve and mature from his time as a solider.

I would like to see Prince Harry and Matt Drudge in the same room....LOL! Talk about one very, very interesting and perhaps very short conversation....

I admire Prince Harry for wanting to keep to his commitments. Perhaps this was the one thing in his life that was earned, that made him equal with other men and women. I hope he can continue to serve and mature from his time as a solider.

I think you're right on with that statement. We all know he wishes he were normal sometimes and maybe that's where his motivation to do so well in the army comes from; to be like every other brave man or woman serving their country.

I'm curious as to what he'll do next with his army career. Its doubtful he'll ever be able to do a tour like this again (not any time soon anyway).

I hope when he gets home the media will give him time & space to unwind, but knowing them they'll be stalking him more than ever.

Last edited:

Aw poor Harry I feel terrible about all this...once he gets back to the UK he'll realize how proud everyone is of him and hopefully it'll cheer him up. I'd love to see him have a press conference once he gets back and totally call out Matt Drudge about this whole thing..priceless! I hope all goes well when he gets back and he'll be able to get back out and about in the UK soon enough without worrying.

I'd like to think that Prince Harry prides himself on not asking anybody to do what he wouldn't do himself by serving.

Though that doesn't apply to dinner at Clarence House.

The whole story about Prince Harry's tour is really amusing. It is rather entertaining to read opinions of angry citizens of the stable European monarchy. It is naive to seek integrity and responsibility in mass media. As usually, mass media is subservient to interests of local governments, lobbyists, and other power brokers that manipulate the public opinion to their advantage.

May I advise that it would be good for you to do a bit of research on the role the media, including mass media titles play for the actual working of a democracy? I mean, I understand from your postings that you have some difficulties in really grasping the concept how our Western democracies work, otherwise it wouldn't "amuse" you to see, as you put it, that mass media as the most influential part of the media is "subservient to the interests of local governments, lobbyists, and other power brokers".

I believe you should understand that at the basis of democracy is the right of any citizen to be informed, as all citizens in a democracy together form the real souverain and the way this souverainity/power is used is decided by them all through their votes. Some democracies rely totally on the parlamentarian system, others have some or more basic democratic ways to deal with voter's opinions but the underlying idea of them all is that the power belongs with the people and that those who have the power have a right to be informed. But of course there are limitations which anyone with a bit of common sense will recognize. Question is: where were these limitations/rights in case of Harry in Afghanistan? That is a question of moral, integrity and common sense, it has not much to do with the system of press behind it.

As for the scenario you claim is normal: of course in reality groups in society with common goals have common needs and most of the time those who have power (politicians, economical leaders, editors or their publishers) have these needs in common. At least in general - as soon as an interesting case turns up, you'll see that all people concerned suddenly have their own agenda and because of the freedom of the press, information about that is published. Within said limitations, of course. To suppress this information, you'll need a dictatorship with journalists who work not independantly for their own agenda, but are forced by potential repercussions to do what they are told.

Is it naive to believe that democracy is the best of bad systems? To acknowledge that to cry for freedom means to suffer freedom as well? To understand that the right to have an opinion means diversity and thus so many opinions who are contrary to my own beliefs? Voltaire once said:
" I have a different opinion but I'll fight for your right to express your opinion."
But of course accepting, even fighting for the right of differing opinions does not mean to loose the right to evaluate these opinions. To start a dialogue, to discuss right and wrong.That's what's happening here. Amusing? I don't think so. Necessary? Yes, absolutely.

If anyone cares to see the video of Harry and the rest of the soldiers(I beleive they're from his group?...please correct me if I'm wrong) leaving Afghanistan CNN.com has the video.

how long dose long dose a soldier have to stay over seas to recieve a campgin ribbon? A poster on BBC website said that Harry would not get one because he had only been there fo 10 weeks is this true ?
30 days, so Harry will get one. :flowers:

I don't understand why the heck the Taliban would be after him ..now that he's coming back...why? they shoulda done something years ago if he was such a huge target. I wonder if they are going to be moving the rest of the soldiers that were with him...I imagine so right?
Can you imagine the publicity coup, if they get Harry especially on his home turf. For the terrorists, it would be a major recruiting drive.... "Look even your Prince is not safe in his own country".

All service personnel are told to be more vigilant and not to publicise where they have been. There is some concern about the parades some towns are holding, but the reasoning is, that they look different with their clothes on.:flowers:

If anyone cares to see the video of Harry and the rest of the soldiers(I beleive they're from his group?...please correct me if I'm wrong) leaving Afghanistan CNN.com has the video.
No one appears to have had his tour cut short, they could just be ordinary turn around troops.

Charles and William will be at Brize to welcome him home and to Harry that will be priceless. :flowers:

Perhaps something good will come of this. When Harry is finally home maybe the media and the high and the mighty will understand that this has been a total disaster. They allowed the Taliban to dictate the terms of engagement, using information supplied by the media from "coalition" countries, which is more than a little bizzaar.

After 9/11 everything changed for the Americans. People re-evaluated their rights and their obligations, and in many cases, the Law was changed to reflect the new and harsher reality.

Surely Britain will also see that "freedom of the Press" is not a blank cheque for the Press to write, but rather a privilige. Everyone keeps wittering on about people's rights . . . . what about their obligations.

Is giving intelligence to the enemy OK under freedom of the press"?

Surely Britain will also see that "freedom of the Press" is not a blank cheque for the Press to write, but rather a privilige. Everyone keeps wittering on about people's rights . . . . what about their obligations.
MARG, I heard some 30 - 40 year olds discussing this very subject, unfortunately, they came to the conclusion that nothing will be done, because our government has no backbone. So desperate to be seen as powerful within Europe, they have cast aside their care for the British public that voted them in.

After 9/11 everything changed for the Americans. People re-evaluated their rights and their obligations, and in many cases, the Law was changed to reflect the new and harsher reality.

Is giving intelligence to the enemy OK under freedom of the press"?

Ask the US-citizen Matt D. about that. So far the British media has obviously been able to keep their promises.

What Britain doesn't have, compared with other countries, though, is media laws that protect individuals, even celebrities, from their prying. I remember an interview with Tom Parker Bowles about how he as a child sat with his mother on the stairs inside their home, where they could look out through a hidden window at the gathered media outside and how afraid he was, only to be told by his mother that the journalists are not allowed to enter the premises. He still felt beleaguered but it couldn't be helped back then. Here in Germany you can at least call the police to make them go away in such a case, when no announcement has been made and the person the media is interested in has done nothing besides being who they are, so things like that happen only if there is a great and well-funded public interest and then it's legal to stand there and report.

. . . they have cast aside their care for the British public that voted them in.
So long as they don't cast aside their care for their Defence Forces in the field, nor any Coalition personnel either.

It's a sad day when you realise that the Lion(s) you voted for have rolled over like tabbies to have their tummys scratched by uninvited guests. The least they could have done was hiss and spit just a little to keep up the pretence.

Now I think about it, how sick is it that we are discussing a "Theatre of War" in the same thread as invertebrate MP's and gutless Heads of state? To quote one of the many posts I have read about this situation today . . . "A pox on the lot of them!"

As usually, mass media is subservient to interests of local governments, lobbyists, and other power brokers that manipulate the public opinion to their advantage. So it would be fair to say that freedom of press is a myth for the most part.
As for Matt Drudge, his web-site seems to post more or less accurate information. Well, it is not a bad thing, I believe.

Actually no, mass media is in service to the marketplace and not to the governments. Media brokers want to force governments to take action not be a pawn of government. They tell themselves and us they are representatives of the people and they want to be the force that changes public opinion and forces governments and public figures to their knees. However, they can only represent their own voices and the opinions of hte markets they serve. The media doesn't represent us the people.

This is the same for Matt Drudge as it is for Rupert Murdoch.

I don't understand why the heck the Taliban would be after him ..now that he's coming back...why? they shoulda done something years ago if he was sucha huge target. I wonder if they are going to be moving the rest of the soldiers that we're with him...I imagine so right?

if he were caught by the taliban, it would certainly put an entirely new twist on the "no negotiation policy" that most of the governments have regarding their citizens being kidnapped. having said that, he's done a wonderful service for his country and freedom of the people of afghanizstan and and the fight against terrorism and he should be proud of himself. well done harry!

Dear BeatrixFan, you have such a determination to see the illness of every circumstance. You're wish to see illness must be the cause of attracting it into your every sight and experience. :sad:

Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"

No wonder Harry didn't want to come back to England; even when he does his best he can't catch a break.

I've read about another man an England saying something similar to this on a news program. I truly hope this isn't what many people are thinking.

Last edited:
Dear BeatrixFan, you have such a determination to see the illness of every circumstance. You're wish to see illness must be the cause of attracting it into your every sight and experience. :sad:

It was a throw away joke darling, not a Freudian expose into my inner soul. :flowers:

Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"

No wonder Harry didn't want to come back to England; even when he does his best he can't catch a break.

I've read about another man an England saying something similar to this on a news program. I truly hope this isn't what many people are thinking.

No actually, I think that the BRF sought to do with the press here what they have done with the press before so that the press would leave them alone.

They do it at the ski slopes all the time. Invite the press in for an interview and a photo shoot and then ask the press to leave them alone.

I think its more plausible that they figured they would have better luck with a media blackout if they involved the media and gave them something to report.

And the sad fact is that they probably did have better success with a media blackout here than they would have if they hadn't enlisted the media's participation. But if this is what success looks like, I don't want to even think of what failure would have entailed.

I disagree with criticisms of Prince Harry of his military service being some "stunt" to repair his image! Even as a child he played "war games". It is his life's passion.

So does Harry get a break now from the army? The rest of his group is still in Afghanistan so would he join another regimen or what? I'm very confused as to what he'll be doing now.

:ROFLMAO:
It was nice to see the pictures of the family picking Harry up! I know I always like to be there when my son comes home! It means a lot to them as well! :flowers:

Can you imagine the publicity coup, if they get Harry especially on his home turf. For the terrorists, it would be a major recruiting drive.... "Look even your Prince is not safe in his own country".

All service personnel are told to be more vigilant and not to publicise where they have been. There is some concern about the parades some towns are holding, but the reasoning is, that they look different with their clothes on.:flowers:

if he were caught by the taliban, it would certainly put an entirely new twist on the "no negotiation policy" that most of the governments have regarding their citizens being kidnapped. having said that, he's done a wonderful service for his country and freedom of the people of afghanizstan and and the fight against terrorism and he should be proud of himself. well done harry!

Ya I can imagine. I hope this eventually dies down though

No one appears to have had his tour cut short, they could just be ordinary turn around troops.

Charles and William will be at Brize to welcome him home and to Harry that will be priceless. :flowers:

Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK

Last edited:
Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK

Well they had a long flight back together so even if he didn't know them before he had plenty of time to get to know them on the plane! Harry seems pretty social, and I think he's compfortable around fellow soldiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom