Prince Harry's Afrika Korps Costume: January 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reina said:
I agree. But you know what else is sad is that ppl are ok with interracial marriages b/t asains (alexandra of denmark) and caucasians and even cubans (maria teresa of luxembourg) and caucasians, but if it ever came to a relationship b/t a black and a caucasian then whewww-there will be a big dillemma. This is insanely sad and hypocritical esp. the ones who say the USA is closeminded.:mad: Anyway this view should not be and I hope one of the heirs to the throne marries a nice, bllack lady that he is in love with and wants to share his life with. But just think of what she could go through. She could possibly be disdained by the public and other members of other royal families, but I pray that this is not the case.
Prince HArry should be careful of what he says cuz it could hurt alot of ppl.

I"m Cuban. Cubans, like Americans can be of any race such as Caucasion, Native Indian, African descent, etc. or mixed (mestizo or mulatto). My own family for example descends from Spaniards, Frenchman, and Germans, and my birth certificate, passport, and driver license list me as White for race. My ethnic group is Latin or Hispanic.

This was a mistake of youth and I am sure Harry will never do anything remotely like it again.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
Well, I don't even know what Nazi costumes have to do with a costume party whose theme was "colonial and native," but whatever.
I'm still scratching my head over that one. Who comes up with these 'themes? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
james said:
I have never thought that when Harry wore the Nazi uniform the issue was whether he was racist or not. I think the question is whether he fully grasps the responsibility of his position and I think that at this point in time the answer is no. At a recent Halloween party two of my friends came dressed as Nazis and no one batted an eyelid, the reason being that all of the partgoers knew them and knew that, of course, they didn't agree with genoicide etc it was merley a party and they wore the costumes in a mocking fashion as I am sure Harry did.

How can one wear a Nazi costume in a mocking way and what is there to mock about with 20 million deaths?
I think it is a cultural thing, countries who suffered under Nazi occupation are more sensitive to it then for example, british, who did not witness the atrocities of this regime first hand, and maybe it is also a question of a good education/upbringing, taste and intelligence (we can not accuse harry of having even one of the four).
Has the guy visited Auschwitz by now btw? I thought that was what Clarence House suggested (instead of an apology).

I never found the humor in it. They said it was supposed to be funny, but I found nothing funny about it! I was greatly offended and discusted! There is nothing funny about Nazis, especially that they are still around.

Prince Harry's Nazi Costume

Why is this active again? Harry is doing fine at Sandhurst. He has said sorry again in his 21st birthday interview.

Elspeth said:
Well, I don't even know what Nazi costumes have to do with a costume party whose theme was "colonial and native," but whatever.

Harry's costume was supposedly based on Erwin Rommel who led the German forces in colonial Africa at the beginning of the war.

Rommel's allegiance to the Nazis was not all that certain during the war. Several of his closest aides had been implicated in a plot to assassinate Hitler and he was suspected of involvement though it was never proven. Nazi officials complained that he was constantly and vehemently disparaging their leadership. He was forced by Hitler to face a choice of a sham trial or suicide and he chose suicide.

Now I don't really think Harry knew all this when he wore the costume and the colonial theme is tasteless enough even without Rommel's costume.

kpusa1981 said:
Why is this active again? Harry is doing fine at Sandhurst. He has said sorry again in his 21st birthday interview.

I think everyone is just bored because Harry hasn't been in the news lately.

Marengo said:
How can one wear a Nazi costume in a mocking way and what is there to mock about with 20 million deaths?
I think it is a cultural thing, countries who suffered under Nazi occupation are more sensitive to it then for example, british, who did not witness the atrocities of this regime first hand, and maybe it is also a question of a good education/upbringing, taste and intelligence (we can not accuse harry of having even one of the four).
Has the guy visited Auschwitz by now btw? I thought that was what Clarence House suggested (instead of an apology).

52 Million people were killed in WWII worldwide, I'm not sure how many were killed directly by the Nazis, a large amount by the Japanese,and many by the allied forces and Stalin, just for your knowledge.

ysbel said:
Now I don't really think Harry knew all this when he wore the costume and the colonial theme is tasteless enough even without Rommel's costume.

Your right, Harry is not smart enough to know all this. On the other hand we are!

ysbel said:
Harry's costume was supposedly based on Erwin Rommel who led the German forces in colonial Africa at the beginning of the war.

Rommel's allegiance to the Nazis was not all that certain during the war. Several of his closest aides had been implicated in a plot to assassinate Hitler and he was suspected of involvement though it was never proven. Nazi officials complained that he was constantly and vehemently disparaging their leadership. He was forced by Hitler to face a choice of a sham trial or suicide and he chose suicide.

My uncle told me Rommel was a good man and a good soldier who was anti-Hitler and they forced him to either kill himself or face execution.

Anyway Harry I am sure is much more aware now and knows to be careful, and more sensitive in future.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
I think everyone is just bored because Harry hasn't been in the news lately.

I think it is my fault. I am new here and posted to an older thread.

Queen Mary I said:
My uncle told me Rommel was a good man and a good soldier who was anti-Hitler and they forced him to either kill himself or face execution.

Anyway Harry I am sure is much more aware now and knows to be careful, and more sensitive in future.

Good point, Queen Mary I. The colonial theme makes me wonder what some of the other kids were wearing. Not exactly politically correct, would you say? ;)

I think they were willing for Harry to take so much flak for the Nazi costume so that people wouldn't wonder what in the blazes these young kids were up to.

Don't worry about resurrecting an old thread. It happens all the time and sometimes its quite fun. :)

ysbel said:
Good point, Queen Mary I. The colonial theme makes me wonder what some of the other kids were wearing. Not exactly politically correct, would you say? ;)

I think they were willing for Harry to take so much flak for the Nazi costume so that people wouldn't wonder what in the blazes these young kids were up to.

Don't worry about resurrecting an old thread. It happens all the time and sometimes its quite fun. :)

Thanks. I feel a little better. :) I seem to keep putting my foot in the doodoo. :eek:

Now what I want to know is-what was William wearing and where are the pics?! ;)

ysbel said:
Not exactly politically correct, would you say? ;)

:)

Don't forget that this was supposed to be a private party, none of them were trying to make a statement. I would think we have all made terrible gaffs in our youth, that we would hope no one would ever find out about.
How many of us can say we have never done or said something totally inappropriate?
It was a daft thing to wear but I would like to know, why the hire shop had a nazi uniform in it's stock!:confused:

I do agree this party was suposed to be private and once the media found out they blew it out of proportion. I had read some newspapers and he was on every cover!

Yeha, it was suppose to be a 'private' party but, I hope he's learned his lesson, that you have to watchful at all times. You never know when someone might take a pic. I do question his motives, I mean the boy can't be so dumb to not know the effect of his actions? he seems a bit immature to me. Hopefully he'll shape up, and won't be so ignorant next time :)

Considering Harry has 3 great uncles (the brothers-in-law of Prince Phillip), if I'm not mistaken, who served in the German Army during WWII, and a grandfather who served in the British Navy and grandmother in the ATS, you would think he would be a little more attuned to history. Guess not...

Sorry to see the sacrifice of so many people so casually brushed aside by him.

Lady Bluffton said:
Considering Harry has 3 great uncles (the brothers-in-law of Prince Phillip), if I'm not mistaken, who served in the German Army during WWII, and a grandfather who served in the British Navy and grandmother in the ATS, you would think he would be a little more attuned to history. Guess not...

Sorry to see the sacrifice of so many people so casually brushed aside by him.

Especially by someone with so many "German" ancestors....

JOY! said:
Yeha, it was suppose to be a 'private' party but, I hope he's learned his lesson, that you have to watchful at all times. You never know when someone might take a pic. I do question his motives, I mean the boy can't be so dumb to not know the effect of his actions? he seems a bit immature to me. Hopefully he'll shape up, and won't be so ignorant next time :)

I understand what you mean. But I'd also like to add that if he had been taught better, perhaps it would not have happened in the first place?

He's a nice young man, but ok.

Perhaps look also at the people (incl. his family) who instruct him, or rather fail to instruct him on these type of things?:)
Could that be a possibility?

Last edited:
Queen Mary I said:

You are right. Anyway, I found really nothing wrong with Harry's party costume in that it was that--a party costume. Too many people made such a big deal about it and quoted war figures, etc. Nobody seems to think going as a terrorist or just a British soldier is anything wrong with that. Perhaps he should have gone as tinkerbell. But, anyway I think he probably would have looked great in the SS black uniform with the black boots, etc and his red hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, recently Harry was seen wearing a shirt with Che Guevara a lot of people refer to him as a terrorist and killer. I mean this boy is not that stupid! I'm sure he knew who Che was. Maybe he simply does not care? I think he is ignorant, and stupid. The same thing could go here, he knew what that armband ment and he decided to wear it anyway, probably knowing the trouble it would cause. :rolleyes:
It's not to hard to see that he is a ignorant little rich boy who doesn't know much about the world and things that have happened.

HRH Kimetha said:
You are right. Anyway, I found really nothing wrong with Harry's party costume in that it was that--a party costume. Too many people made such a big deal about it and quoted war figures, etc. Nobody seems to think going as a terrorist or just a British soldier is anything wrong with that. Perhaps he should have gone as tinkerbell. But, anyway I think he probably would have looked great in the SS black uniform with the black boots, etc and his red hair.

Hmmm, except that the SS uniform was worn by evil people who murdered millions of people in concentration camps and also killed tens of thousands of British people with their army. So perhaps not so suitable for the Queen of England's grandson? I think not.

felicia said:
Hmmm, except that the SS uniform was worn by evil people who murdered millions of people in concentration camps and also killed tens of thousands of British people with their army. So perhaps not so suitable for the Queen of England's grandson? I think not.

I thought he wore the uniform of the Afrika Korps not the SS. A huge difference in my opinion (as someone who has done quite a bit of university Masters Degree study on the War in Europe).

felicia said:

:) I do agree that it wouldn't be so suitable, but the uniform is very attractive and Harry's red hair would have been a plus.

felicia said:

I have re-read your post and think that you don't understand what the SS was compared to the rest of the German army.

The SS were truly evil but they were a small minority even of those who were Nazis but the majority of the army weren't active members of the Nazi party - they were simply soldiers who were fighting for their country. The officers had to join the party but then so did teachers have to join the Nazi Teachers organisation (I don't think that that makes all teachers or officers Nazis - I had to join a union when I started teaching in NSW in 1980 as the Department of Education had a union preference clause in the award and there were so many union members that non-members didn't get a look in - does than mean that I support everything the union movement stands for in this country - no. It means that sometimes people join an organisation because they still want to work in their chosen profession.)

The uniform Harry wore was reported as the Afrika Korps - the unit led by Rommel who was forced to commit suicide for supporting the 1944 attempt to assassinate Hitler. My great-uncle fought against the AFrika Korps and had a great respect for all of these soldiers as they were great fighters and respected their enemy just as their enemy respected them. These were NOT the SS who ran the concentration camps but just ordinary soldiers doing their job.

Don't get me wrong - the Nazis were among the most evil regimes to ever have control of any country but not all Germans of the time were Nazis. Not even all members of the party were true Nazis. If they joined the party after 1933 questions must be raised about their commitment (depends in some cases as to when the laws requiring membership of the party or an associated organisation was passed as to when I would make that distinction). e.g. with a child who joined the Hitler Youth before 1937 I would question the commitment of the parents - as it was voluntary then but after that date I would suspect that many parents had their children join because they feared some repercussions within their own life.

Chrissy57,
Thank you for explaining and clearing that up:) . I always wondered if everyone in Germany was actually in sympathy with the Nazis during that time period in history (1933-1945) or if a lot of them just pretended to be a part of the organization out of fear and self preservation. It's also very interesting to hear about the Afrika Corps.

IMO this shows that although Harry did make a mistake and choose a controversial costume, at least he had enough presence of mind to choose one that wasn't directly connected with atrocity.

If you sort of study Prince Harry's behaviour, it seems obvious that he does things like this as a way of rebelling 'under the radar'.
(ie: smoking marijuana, drinking too much, wearing the Che-whatever T-Shirt)
It really is too bad that he didn't find some other way to stage his little rebellion because it's obvious that's all he was doing-- rebelling against the 'establishment' in a low key, passive/agressive way.:cool:

chrissy57 said:
Don't get me wrong - the Nazis were among the most evil regimes to ever have control of any country but not all Germans of the time were Nazis. Not even all members of the party were true Nazis. If they joined the party after 1933 questions must be raised about their commitment (depends in some cases as to when the laws requiring membership of the party or an associated organisation was passed as to when I would make that distinction). e.g. with a child who joined the Hitler Youth before 1937 I would question the commitment of the parents - as it was voluntary then but after that date I would suspect that many parents had their children join because they feared some repercussions within their own life.

True but I'm sure those nuances were lost to Harry. He generally knew what Nazis represented, yet wore it anyway. But again, this was forever ago

I don't think the che shirt is a big deal though

regardez said:
True but I'm sure those nuances were lost to Harry. He generally knew what Nazis represented, yet wore it anyway. But again, this was forever ago

I don't think the che shirt is a big deal though

That would depend on who deeply he had actually studied Germany and WWII.

As the theme of the party was something about Africa he might have been fully aware of what he was doing - considering the experiences of members of his family during that war I am sure he knew the distinction ever more than many ordinary people. He had relatives who were committed Nazis - a great-uncle for one but other relatives who hid Jews from the SS and Gestapo - his great-grandmother who has been honoured by the state of Israel for her efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom