Prince Harry's Afrika Korps Costume: January 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reina said:
I am saying that since William was right there with him when he picked and wore that outfit he should have made him do away with it. William has taken part of the blame whihc lets me know that he should have been more rsponsible in alerting hs brother of the consequences. This is different if William was not there, but he was and he should have spoken up.
Do you really think that Harry woud have listen to his bigbrother ?? I don´t think so...I think that Harry do what he want´s to do and when he want´s to do it.
He is sutch a spoilede childe in my eyes. He has to be tougth a lesson by his farther and his grandmother and it has to be now.

Reina said:
I am saying that since William was right there with him when he picked and wore that outfit he should have made him do away with it. William has taken part of the blame whihc lets me know that he should have been more rsponsible in alerting hs brother of the consequences. This is different if William was not there, but he was and he should have spoken up.

I wasn't aware that William was there when Harry chose the costume. So, William could have said something, but didn't, and he feels bad about it. Ok...who am I to take away from what William is feeling, but I can not ignore the fact that Harry is grown...I think he should have known better, but that is just my opinion.

Friday January 14, 07:34​
px.gif
Harry to go to Auschwitz in repentance for his Nazi joke​
(by Mark Riley)
Prince Harry provoked a disgusted reaction from the world’s press as he made his appearance at a party wearing a Nazi costume. Germany’s top selling newspaper, Bild, carried a headline today: "Nazi Harry, What Would Diana Have Said?"​
The article was even harsher, as the reporters commented: "You are 20 but mentally you are no older than 12. Even the most stupid English person knows what happened with the sign of the Swastika."

Claudia Lord, working for Bild and Bild am Sontagg, wrote: "It has been a very big story in Germany and will continue to be so over the coming days. The general feeling is disgust. It is a criminal offence to wear the swastika in public in Germany. It can get you a prison sentence of up to three years.”

"We were taught never to make jokes about the Nazis. There’s no such thing in Germany as a funny Hitler. If you make a joke about him you are looked at as if you were mad. It is a part of history that just isn’t funny”, she added.

The Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot was primarily concerned with the attitude in the British society to the incident.

It said: "Prince Harry’s foolish deed, no matter how repulsive, abhorrent and infuriating, is not the root of the problem. The root of the problem, or indeed the whole problem, is the fact that in a public opinion poll more than half the respondents believed no fuss should be made of the story."

Prince Charles, Harry’s father is known to have ordered a trip to the death camp at Auschwitz in Poland for the two brothers as the older one, 22-year-old Prince William reportedly accompanied Harry to the notorious party and even assisted in picking the costume.

sommone said:
I'm confused...How is William to blame? Am I the only one who believes if you are over the age of 18, you should act like an adult? I didn't realize William had been appointed Harry's watcher. William has enough worries of his own without having to babysit his 20 year old brother who is not a child anymore.
I agree 100%! Prince William is busy attending university in Scotland and preparing for his future role as King. He is not responsible for making sure his younger brother stays out of the tabloids. There are several full-time staff (advisors, aids, bodyguards, ect.), not to mention Prince Charles, who should be ensuring scandals like this don't occur. That said, the bottom line is that Prince Harry is responsible for his own actions. Millions of young adults around the world that are the same age as Prince Harry are attending university, college, or working. While all Prince Harry seems to do is go clubbing and take vacations. If Prince Harry wanted to take a year of both going to military college to travel or volunteer then thats fine. But it's been over two year and he keeps delaying it. If I were Prince Charles I would be putting him to work volutunteering, helping out with royal duties, anything to keep him busy.

sommone said:
I wasn't aware that William was there when Harry chose the costume. So, William could have said something, but didn't, and he feels bad about it. Ok...who am I to take away from what William is feeling, but I can not ignore the fact that Harry is grown...I think he should have known better, but that is just my opinion.
Yes Harry is responsible for his own actions, but clearly he needed guidance on this issue. Since William was right there and helped him pick out the outfit for (pete's sake!) he has shown that he has not been responsible and just as stupid and immature as HArry was. I wish William would take his future role more seriously. Gohs Charles and the late Diana were just too darn modern with these boys and it did not help that there was not a strong family structure. These is in idrect contrast to the Luxembourg boys.

Reina said:
Friday January 14, 07:34​
px.gif
Harry to go to Auschwitz in repentance for his Nazi joke​
(by Mark Riley)
Prince Harry provoked a disgusted reaction from the world’s press as he made his appearance at a party wearing a Nazi costume. Germany’s top selling newspaper, Bild, carried a headline today: "Nazi Harry, What Would Diana Have Said?"​
The article was even harsher, as the reporters commented: "You are 20 but mentally you are no older than 12. Even the most stupid English person knows what happened with the sign of the Swastika."

Claudia Lord, working for Bild and Bild am Sontagg, wrote: "It has been a very big story in Germany and will continue to be so over the coming days. The general feeling is disgust. It is a criminal offence to wear the swastika in public in Germany. It can get you a prison sentence of up to three years.”

"We were taught never to make jokes about the Nazis. There’s no such thing in Germany as a funny Hitler. If you make a joke about him you are looked at as if you were mad. It is a part of history that just isn’t funny”, she added.

The Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot was primarily concerned with the attitude in the British society to the incident.

It said: "Prince Harry’s foolish deed, no matter how repulsive, abhorrent and infuriating, is not the root of the problem. The root of the problem, or indeed the whole problem, is the fact that in a public opinion poll more than half the respondents believed no fuss should be made of the story."

Prince Charles, Harry’s father is known to have ordered a trip to the death camp at Auschwitz in Poland for the two brothers as the older one, 22-year-old Prince William reportedly accompanied Harry to the notorious party and even assisted in picking the costume.

Reina, where did this article come from...Just curious. If William was there, and he helped Harry to pick out this costume then you are right, he is just to blame for this fiasco. They both should have known better. Ultimately, Harry made the final decision to wear the costume. I'm ashamed that William would encourage him to wear it though.
Given that the situation is over and done with, I hope both of them have learned some valuable lessons from this. That is the most important thing.

Last edited:
Bubbette said:
Is this a reflection on the British upper class school system?
Of course not.

Harry is simply a fool that needs to punished for his unforgiveable behavior.

I actually heard that he won't be let in now. But I doubt that is true.
But I also heard that Charles was making Harry go to Auschwitz, but apparently that is not true.

Even if William was with Harry when Harry picked out the outfit, Harry still is the one at fault. Harry doesn't listen to anyone but Charles, who wasn't around. Perhaps William should have said something, but don't make the mistake of automatically assuming that Harry would have taken the advice and not worn it, because he probably would have told his brother to shove off and done whatever he wanted anyways.

The Ministry of Defense said that Harry would still be allowed a place at Sandhurst. They haven't said anything to contradict that statement since then.

kinneret5764 said:
I knew it would only be a matter of time until that stupid boy messed up himself again. So, the tsunami aid relief work was a whole load of crock - packing relief items for those he probably deems "inferior." I distinctly remember his statement to his father concerning Chelsea - "She's not black or anything...". Now the Nazi costume: what a moron!
Regarding Harry allegedly disliking black women on a romantic level, how'd you find out that he actually said those words to his father (i.e. she's not black or anything)?

I've also noticed that many of the postings on this thread have "only" spoken about Jewish individuals as being the victims of Nazism in relation to the Holocaust (which is the mainstream belief within parts of the world). While many Jewish individuals were indeed brutally killed at the hands of this sick ideology, many non-Jews and/or individuals inclusive of other distinct groups were murdered as well including: gypsies, homosexuals and the handicapped. Lets also not forget that Hitler wanted a world filled with blond haired and blue eyed human beings, which meant that if he ever succeeded in creating "space to live" (lebensraum) within Germany and the rest of Europe, then he would have wanted to exterminate others who didn't fit his vision of the "perfect Aryan", including non-Caucasians on an ethnic level as well. The following groups on a continental (and ethnic within the continental) basis are examples of Hitler's version of non-Aryans: Africans, Middle Easterners, Central Asians, South Asians, Southeast Asians, South Americans etc. In other words, Hitler would have eventually attempted to wipe out the Black, Afghani and Malaysian races (to name a few) if he and his army were victorious during the Second World War.

Although Hitler didn't succeed in extending Fascism and Nazism outside of Europe (therefore he wasn't victorious in creating concentration camps for people within non-European nations), in the end I believe that Harry's costume is just as much an insult to non-Caucasians as it is to Jewish people (and off course gypsies, homosexuals and the handicapped). To me the swastika isn't just a symbol of those who were murdered in the name of Nazism during the Holocaust, but a connotation of the racist and prejudiced belief system behind the political ideology, which wanted to wipe out many different ethnic/distinct groups and not just one.

Just as someone else mentioned, I also believe that creating a "colonials and natives" themed party was an incredibly moronic and demeaning idea. I personally believe that whoever came up with the theme, as well as those who went along with it (attended the party) need a serious reality check and perhaps a bit of psychiatric help as well. If (and that is IF) individuals within the British royal family and their "clique" do indeed have superiority complexes due to the colour of their skin (as some non-Caucasians tend to have as well), I guess that they haven't yet realized that they're no longer the world power and that the US may indeed be preceded by China - a so-called oriental country - as the world leader within the next 30-60 years. The British Empire (Britain btw was itself once occupied and/or colonized by Romans and Germans) lasted for only about 200 years while many Middle Eastern and Indian (for example) lasted for hundreds and even thousands of more. Its my belief that all human beings are equal, regardless of gender, class, ethnicity, culture etc. and that more so-called celebrity role-models should be promoting that ideology, rather than putting it at jeopardy. I wonder what Princess Diana, who btw dated men of Pakistani and Egyptian descent, would've thought of the theme of the party as well as Harry's actions. She probably would've been pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
This whole saga appears to be getting worse by the day. According to others who attended the party Harry's swastika wasn't the only offensive spectacle on display. The "Natives and Colonial" theme inspired some guests to blacken their faces like minstrels and William and Harry's close friend Guy Pelly came dressed as the Queen. Not only that but according to one female present, " Guy was pure caberet, his impressions of the Queen were hysterical and far from being offended Will and Harry were bent double with laughter. Will even got up on stage with Guy and began doing his own impersonation of her. No one was offended by anything. All the criticism is political correctness gone mad". Make of this what you will.

lovy_bear said:

Regarding Harry allegedly disliking black women on a romantic level, how'd you find out that he actually said those words to his father (i.e. she's not black or anything)?

Here you go. This article was printed in the Guardian (U.K.) on January 5, 2005. I posted a link to the article in the previous Harry thread. Here is the original link as posted in the thread, I'm not sure if the article is still available. Harry's comment has also been mentioned in a number of editorials since the Nazi costume incident:

Charles, prince of the prudes

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Ben Summerskill
Wednesday January 5, 2005
The Guardian

[/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"She's not black or anything, you know." Prince Harry explained the other day, answering an inquiry about his nascent relationship with Zimbabwean heiress Chelsy Davy. I'm sure the news made no difference to Harry's papa, who has invited Chelsy to Highgrove for the weekend next month.[/font]

Here's the rest of the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/...1383309,00.html

james said:
This whole saga appears to be getting worse by the day. According to others who attended the party Harry's swastika wasn't the only offensive spectacle on display. The "Natives and Colonial" theme inspired some guests to blacken their faces like minstrels and William and Harry's close friend Guy Pelly came dressed as the Queen. Not only that but according to one female present, " Guy was pure caberet, his impressions of the Queen were hysterical and far from being offended Will and Harry were bent double with laughter. Will even got up on stage with Guy and began doing his own impersonation of her. No one was offended by anything. All the criticism is political correctness gone mad". Make of this what you will.
They seem to have no respect for their elders. I can't wait for them to have children of their own.

kelly9480 said:
The Ministry of Defense said that Harry would still be allowed a place at Sandhurst. They haven't said anything to contradict that statement since then.
Ok. Thanks. I didn't really believe what I posted earlier.

kelly9480 said:
May God help the British Army.:eek:

At this point I don't think that Harry is mentally fit to join the army. There are apparently alot of things(ie WWII history) that he has not learnt yet......

kinneret5764 said:
Here you go. This article was printed in the Guardian (U.K.) on January 5, 2005. I posted a link to the article in the previous Harry thread. Here is the original link as posted in the thread, I'm not sure if the article is still available. Harry's comment has also been mentioned in a number of editorials since the Nazi costume incident:

Charles, prince of the prudes

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Ben Summerskill
Wednesday January 5, 2005
The Guardian

[/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"She's not black or anything, you know." Prince Harry explained the other day, answering an inquiry about his nascent relationship with Zimbabwean heiress Chelsy Davy. I'm sure the news made no difference to Harry's papa, who has invited Chelsy to Highgrove for the weekend next month.[/font]

Here's the rest of the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/...1383309,00.html
Now...I just have one thing to say...I'm sure there wasn't a need for the "She's not black or anything" comment. The media isn't stupid. They know that there are whites living in Africa, and have been since Africa was first colonized. I'm also sure if the media needed to know what race she was, they could have researched it and found out.:rolleyes:

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Do you not want Harry in the army?
It's a scary thought at this point. He's proven himself unfit to lead. He doesn't seem to respect himself, given his antics - how could he lead others? They wouldn't have any respect for him. He's earned a lifetime membership with Club Moron.

I think it will be a rude awakening for him when he arrives at andhurst, and, frankly, I think a few weeks of sheer hell will give Harry exactly what he needs. In the words of a proverb in my family, "a good kick in the pants never harmed anyone."

lovy_bear said:
Just as someone else mentioned, I also believe that creating a "colonials and natives" themed party was an incredibly moronic and demeaning idea. I personally believe that whoever came up with the theme, as well as those who went along with it (attended the party) need a serious reality check and perhaps a bit of psychiatric help as well. If (and that is IF) individuals within the British royal family and their "clique" do indeed have superiority complexes due to the colour of their skin (as some non-Caucasians tend to have as well), I guess that they haven't yet realized that they're no longer the world power and that the US may indeed be preceded by China - a so-called oriental country - as the world leader within the next 30-60 years. The British Empire (Britain btw was itself once occupied and/or colonized by Romans and Germans) lasted for only about 200 years while many Middle Eastern and Indian (for example) lasted for hundreds and even thousands of more. Its my belief that all human beings are equal, regardless of gender, class, ethnicity, culture etc. and that more so-called celebrity role-models should be promoting that ideology, rather than putting it at jeopardy. I wonder what Princess Diana, who btw dated men of Pakistani and Egyptian descent, would've thought of the theme of the party as well as Harry's actions. She probably would've been pretty disappointed.
Thank you and we must not forget that Britain colonized countries that had mainly white populations as well such as Ireland

kinneret5764 said:
Some say that Charles has not disciplined Harry enough. What goes around comes around. Charles complained that his parents were too tough on him - they set boundaries. But his parents's discipline kept him from doing what Harry has done. The Queen and P. Philip deserve more credit than they normally get for their parenting skills.
kinneret5764,
My thanks for posting this. I read through all the posts for far in this topic, luckily, otherwise I would have offered something on the same order myself.

From BBC NEWS:

Will Sandhurst sort out Prince Harry?

Prince Harry's Nazi fancy dress faux pas has led to suggestions that he is unfit to attend Sandhurst Royal Military Academy. But analyst Charles Heyman believes it is the right course of action to knock him into shape.

Shameful, foolish, insensitive - just some of the adjectives used to describe Prince Harry's party stunt, although more charitable observers dismissed the Nazi uniform as "a harmless prank".

When he joins Sandhurst in May, he will be wearing a British army uniform - a badge of honour - and expected to meet the high standards set by the military academy.

He won't be the first young man to be kicked into touch by a regime which prides itself on turning out first class officers fed a diet of strict discipline and carefully structured routine.

Senior defence analyst for Janes Consultancy Group and former army major Mr Heyman says: "At Sandhurst, Prince Harry will be watched all the time, 24 hours a day and get away with nothing.

"If you're told to appear at a certain time in certain dress, with certain weapons, then you do, or you are in trouble."

He will be scrutinised and assessed by some very tough military professionals who will come down hard on him if he messes up.

These people will become strong male role models for Prince Harry.

Mr Heyman says: "He is going to see some male role models who will shock him down to his very foundations.

"Sandhurst brings people down to size. It's a big reality check and the further up the pyramid you are, the bigger the shock.

"It will change him. I think he will mature quite quickly after 44 weeks at Sandhurst."

Grey man

Despite his royal status, Prince Harry will be treated no differently from his peers.

"They will not care that he is Prince Harry," says Mr Heyman.

"This will be the first time in his life that other people will tell him his fortune in no uncertain terms.

"This situation is unusual for most people, but a bit harder for him, compared to the average officer recruit."

Mr Heyman's advice on getting through Sandhurst is to be "a grey man" - that is, someone who doesn't attract attention.

He thinks Harry has a real problem here because of his status.

"To be a grey man, you try not to make any mistakes and try not to stick your head above the parapet, otherwise you're going to get picked on, he warns."

Prince Harry will be disciplined and if he doesn't do as he is told, he won't stand the course, Mr Heyman suggests.

At the age of 20, he will be one of the younger trainee officers at Sandhurst.

"He will have to bite his tongue quite a lot", says Mr Heyman.

"He will be allowed to make mistakes, but if he continues to make them, he'll be out on his ear."

Dennism said:
Thank you and we must not forget that Britain colonized countries that had mainly white populations as well such as Ireland
Hi there,

No prob and I am actually familiar with the fact that Ireland was also once a British colony, but when I wrote the following:

"If (and that is IF) individuals within the British royal family and their "clique" do indeed have superiority complexes due to the colour of their skin (as some non-Caucasians tend to have as well), I guess that they haven't yet realized that they're no longer the world power and that the US may indeed be preceded by China - a so-called oriental country - as the world leader within the next 30-60 years."

I was actually emphasizing on a prior comment that I had responded to in relation to how Harry had made the "she's not black or anything" statement. Harry's Nazi costume (consisting of the swastika) also held a racist and prejudiced connotation towards non-Caucasians (as well as individual Caucasians). I had also read somewhere on this thread that William had worn a lion skin costume to the party (which I'm assuming was probably in relation to individual ancient and/or present African natives on an ethnic basis). James' post (after my first message) even speaks of how individuals coloured their faces black for the party.

When I wrote the above paragraph in my last post, I wasn't trying to make it seem like the theme of the party was "only" offensive to non-whites or that some so-called coloured majority populated countries were the only ones once taken over by the British government. My point was that Harry's statement as well as both princes' costumes were "especially" demeaning towards non-white people, if you combine all of the three elements (now four) together. This makes me wonder whether or not individual members of the BRF including Harry and William and/or their friends, especially or specifically have something against "coloured people". Even though the ex-British empire did manage to take over individual majority white populated countries, because many African, Middle Eastern, South Asian and Southeast Asian regions were colonized by it as well (and by a few other European countries), British individuals (as well as European individuals) on an ethnic basis will always see "orientals" as more inferior to themselves, than individuals within their ex white majority populated colonies. Regardless, I should have made what I meant to say more clear in my last post.

Last edited:
lovy_bear said:
Hi there,

No prob and I am actually familiar with the fact that Ireland was also once a British colony, but when I wrote the following:

"If (and that is IF) individuals within the British royal family and their "clique" do indeed have superiority complexes due to the colour of their skin (as some non-Caucasians tend to have as well), I guess that they haven't yet realized that they're no longer the world power and that the US may indeed be preceded by China - a so-called oriental country - as the world leader within the next 30-60 years."

I was actually emphasizing on a prior comment that I had responded to in relation to how Harry had made the "she's not black or anything" statement. Harry's Nazi costume (consisting of the swastika) also held a racist and prejudiced connotation towards non-Caucasians (as well as individual Caucasians). I had also read somewhere on this thread that William had worn a lion skin costume to the party (which I'm assuming was probably in relation to individual ancient and/or present African natives on an ethnic basis). James' post (after my first message) even speaks of how individuals coloured their faces black for the party.

When I wrote the above paragraph in my last post, I wasn't trying to make it seem like the theme of the party was "only" offensive to non-whites or that some so-called coloured majority populated countries were the only ones once taken over by the British government. My point was that Harry's statement as well as both princes' costumes were "especially" demeaning towards non-white people, if you combine all of the three elements (now four) together. This makes me wonder whether or not individual members of the BRF including Harry and William and/or their friends, especially or specifically have something against "coloured people". Even though the ex-British empire did manage to take over individual majority white populated countries, because many African, Middle Eastern, South Asian and Southeast Asian regions were colonized by it as well (and by a few other European countries), British individuals (as well as European individuals) on an ethnic basis will always see "orientals" as more inferior to themselves, than individuals within their ex white majority populated colonies. Regardless, I should have made what I meant to say more clear in my last post.
Whoever you are you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovy_bear said:
Hi there,

I, too, would like to know what Harry and Wills think of 'coloured' ppl. BUt I think I know ho wthey feel about black women. Wills has a crush on Beyonce and HArry has a poster of HAlle Berry. I hope they do not have the historical perception of black women that many white men have had. If so then double shame on them.

Reina said:
I, too, would like to know what Harry and Wills think of 'coloured' ppl. BUt I think I know ho wthey feel about black women. Wills has a crush on Beyonce and HArry has a poster of HAlle Berry. I hope they do not have the historical perception of black women that many white men have had. If so then double shame on them.

Reina, I couldn't have said this any better myself. There are still some who do have that same historical perception of black women, sadly even in the 21st century.

Last edited:
kinneret5764 said:
It's a scary thought at this point. He's proven himself unfit to lead. He doesn't seem to respect himself, given his antics - how could he lead others? They wouldn't have any respect for him. He's earned a lifetime membership with Club Moron.
Reading this made me laugh at an otherwise somber moment.

Reina said:
lets give harry a break, his remark to his father 'she is not black or anything' does not mean he would not be able to fall in love with a black woman.
He was pulling his fathers leg, because it would be a first within his family and probably raise an eyebrow.

By chance I just rented the comedy "Bollywood/Hollywood" and the grandmother of the male hero in the movie says to him: "don't you bring home a white women you want to marry" and at a certain point she says that all white women are whores. And it is funny too because it is so silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom