Prince Harry's Afrika Korps Costume: January 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the news this morning there was a representative (the head, I think) of the Monarchist League of Canada who was commenting on this situation.

He said that many people could sympathize and understand with the drugs and boozing (his exact words!) and even the scuffle with the paparazzi outside the nightclub and chalk it all up as teenage growing pains. But he said that this latest incident with the Nazi costume people would have much less sympathy for because it was obviously bad judgement and it was apparent to most people that Harry needed someone to grab him by the shoulders and steer him in the right/better direction.

This guy (wish I had caught his name) sort of pointed things towards Charles and said that Charles had been too lenient with Harry the last several years.

I think that Harry is doing this to get in the news...it´s impossible that there aren´t any bodyguards or something to protect him..sometimes, I think he´s just trying to get the fame of his brother....you know...all that think about girls liking the bad guy and all.....After this episoide,Harry,for me...it´s just a stupid and indolent boy.....really really really needing therapy...There´s no appologies for this thing...

Last edited:
You know this is a big story if it made the morning news in the US! Is Harry stupid?? Did he honestly think that either no one would take his picture or if they did, no one would be upset by the costume? That boy needs to have his head examined. He is 20 years old, the blame for what he did rests solely on his shoulders. His father should not have to pick out his clothes for him.

If I were in charge of Harry, I'd send him to Auschwitz with Prince Edward so he could see what happened behind that armband. Then I'd lock him in a room with the Queen for an hour and let her do whatever she wanted to him, no questions asked. Then, off to Sanhurst with him. Enough of the playboy life; it's high time the kid learned some responsibility!

Hi,

I was watched News in the TV this morning and shocked to see Harry what did.. I can't believe it.. :eek: He need to think twice before decide what wear costume! I read the article said William wear dress as Lion.. I wish I see the picture of him.. oH well... Pray for him to change his life and change his heart... I prayed for him and his brother too even his family....

Karla

I guess Harry doesn't take into account all of the British people who were killed or lost loved ones during WW2 at German hands. Spoiled little children like Harry could never imagine the stress that his Great grandfather King George endured during the war and how it sent him to an early grave leaving Queen Elizabeth a widow so early in life. There are survivors wathching this no doubt devestated at his behaviour. Not only is he making a mockery of the British peoples history but he is poking fun at a war that his ancestors fought so hard to win. What a disgrace. The people will never forget this, and neither will the world, because almost everyone in the world suffered in someway during the war. This is something that will follow him until the day he dies. I think the only reason he apologized is because his family and media turned the heat up on him. And who on earth has a party themed colonies??? I would like to know who chose the theme and what backward planet they're on! Harry is an utter fool!:mad:

I will echo some of the British and U.S. politicians on this issue: Harry needs to publicly apologize, in person, at a press conference for this incident. He has truly gone too far. I hope they slap him around daily at Sandhurst, although in my opinion, he is unfit to become a military officer, unfit to lead, and probably unfit to do anything productive in life.

Some say that Charles has not disciplined Harry enough. What goes around comes around. Charles complained that his parents were too tough on him - they set boundaries. But his parents's discipline kept him from doing what Harry has done. The Queen and P. Philip deserve more credit than they normally get for their parenting skills. It's too late for Charles to change Harry - change will come by some hard knocks outside of Harry's immediate family circle.

If I were in charge of Harry, I'd send him to Auschwitz with Prince Edward so he could see what happened behind that armband. Then I'd lock him in a room with the Queen for an hour and let her do whatever she wanted to him, no questions asked. Then, off to Sanhurst with him. Enough of the playboy life; it's high time the kid learned some responsibility!

Well said!

I just watched two reports on Harry's costume by the U.S. media. Harry crossed the line. This reflects badly on Charles (I think he have a short reign then William become king). I hope, after this, the royal family gives Harry the guidance and displince he needs.

irishchic5 said:
Very well said! I really agree with you on this one!

I also think that Harry himself should appologise in public, at a press conference or something. The only appology so far is a statement from Clarence House - and that was read up on the phone to a news agency from one of the press officers.... :mad:

Bubbette said:
Is this a reflection on the British upper class school system?
You can't tar all of those educated at fee-paying schools with the same brush. This is a reflection on Harry's stupidity, insensitivity, and lack of self-control -- and nothing else. It's not the fault of The Queen, Philip, Charles, Diana, William or anyone else. The blame for this lies solely with Harry.

Akilah said:
He is proving to be truly his paternal grandfather's grandson.
Well, I believe this is even a little offensive towards Philip; I would say Harry is proving to be worse than him: I don't think Philip would joke about Nazism.

Nathalian said:
I think that Harry is doing this to get in the news...it´s impossible that there aren´t any bodyguards or something to protect him..sometimes, I think he´s just trying to get the fame of his brother....you know...all that think about girls liking the bad guy and all.....After this episoide,Harry,for me...it´s just a stupid and indolent boy.....really really really needing therapy...There´s no appologies for this thing...
Harry might be having an angry young man crisis,
William, being the first born can not afford the luxery of going wild and crazy and has to be perfect.

It sure is in the U.S. news. Boy is in some real trouble now. Many Americans sympathize with the RF, esp. Harry and WIlliam, but this incident will def. hurt HArry over here.
Indeed Charles has been waaaaayyy to lenient. It is absolutely a shame that Clarence House always has to come up with some excuse. I am tied of hearing them. Let the boy speak, apologize and explain his actions. And I hope the Queen gives him a good historical lesson on what WWII was all about and how it impacted their family....

Reina said:
It sure is in the U.S. news. Boy is in some real trouble now. Many Americans sympathize with the RF, esp. Harry and WIlliam, but this incident will def. hurt HArry over here.
Indeed Charles has been waaaaayyy to lenient. It is absolutely a shame that Clarence House always has to come up with some excuse. I am tied of hearing them. Let the boy speak, apologize and explain his actions. And I hope the Queen gives him a good historical lesson on what WWII was all about and how it impacted their family....
clarence house is protecting him by saying that there will be no future apology, he will only get himself in more trouble, because there is no excuse for his behaviour.

I must say I am embarressed by the way the British people are looking at this. Apparently over 60 % of the people polled belived that it is good innocent fun to dress as Nazis at parties.
This might be overstated but I fear that the British people let Harry get away with everything. This last stunt even raised his popularity with under 25 year olds. They don't seem to see how it can influence people who see this. I fear some Neo-Nazi organisation will use Harry as their poster boy. They have already estimated that similiar outfits will be favourites at Fancy Dress Parties. This will plague him for the rest of his life and Clarence House is attempting to brush it under the carpet.

One of the Clarence House advisors (assuming there are any) should have pointed out that there are still Holocaust survivors living in the UK. Maybe Harry should spend a bit of time with some of them, hearing about what the Nazis were really like.

I hope Sandhurst still accepts him after his antics over the last few months. I dread to think of what he's going to turn into without some discipline being applied.

Both men (Harry and William) used bad judgement in attending a party with that theme. William should have intervened when he saw Harry in his costume. I would love to know what would possess Harry to wear a costume like that. What an international disgrace! A mere apology on paper doesn't cut it in my opinion. It doesn't even seem personal. I think it's time for the Queen to read him the riot act if she hasn't already. I should hope we see Harry doing more to rectify this situation. Enough hiding behind Clarence House.

How could Harry be so stupid. Did he honestly not think that this would not get out, or did he just not care? I can't beleive he honestly went as a Nazi. I blame only him. Of course someone, William perhaps, should have pulled him to the side and said, "hey, are you stupid, go change!," but Harry is a grown adult and he should have known better. It is not the fault of Charles, or William, or anyone else that he can not think about the things he does before he does them and I am definitely tired of people making excuses for him. It's time now that his break from school ends and he heads straight for Sandhurst. But the polls stated above in the thread are shocking. How could anyone support this or find this funny?

This really was stupid and insensitive. No excuse, really, and I had always thought Harry charming in a bad-boy manner. Now I just find him stupid. And the last thing the British Monarchy needs is more bad press--because this story is all over the world. Whatever crap he gets as a result of this he brought on himself.

I feel compelled as a British subject (Canadian) and a Jew to make a comment regarding the brouhaha about Prince Harry. First I would like to clarify something...the costume that Prince Harry wore was for a party with a "native and colonial" theme. The costume was the desert uniform of Gen. Erwin Rommel's German Afrika Korps. At the time that the Nazi party was in control of Germany, Germany was still a colonial power in Africa which would make the costume that Prince Harry wore consistent with the theme of the party (it's not like he was wearing the uniform of a Gestapo agent or a concentration camp guard). I believe that the majority of newspapers have blown this outrageously out of proportion simply to sell newspaper's by promoting scandal. To call Harry a Nazi for wearing that costume would be the same as calling Prince William an animal for dressing up as a lion.

That being said I think it was in poor taste for Prince Harry to have picked that particular costume. While it was consistent with the theme of the party he should have known that it was not a good idea to wear a costume that would be so inflamatory to such a great number of people. While he may have assumed that his wearing of that costume would not be made public it should still have ocurred to him that there was a possibility that people outside of the party would see it and that the public would think poorly of him for his choice (it also allows the opportunity for people to take it out of context which of course is exactly what has happened). While I believe his apology was sufficient for his transgression I think it would have been wiser for him to apologize personally rather than through a press release.

Give Harry a break: Fergie

From correspondents in Washington

January 14, 2005

SARAH Ferguson, who caused her own controversy while at the heart of
Britain's royal family, said today that Prince Harry "deserves a
break" after he apologised for wearing a Nazi military costume to a
party.

The 20-year-old prince has been at the centre of a media maelstrom
after the publication of a picture showing him dressed in a Nazi
outfit with a red swastika armband.
British politicians have called for Prince Harry to make a public
apology, while a former armed forces minister has questioned his
suitability to join the British army's top officer training school.

However, Ferguson - who was British tabloid newspaper target and
became known as Fergie during her marriage to Prince Andrew, Harry's
uncle - said the world should accept the young royal's apology.

"I hope the world accepts his apology," Ferguson, who is separated
from Prince Andrew, told CNN television.

"He deserves a break, really," she said, adding: "I know what it's
like to have bad press. I had it for quite a long time. ... The thing
is: He's apologised."

Ferguson said the prince - who was snapped in the Nazi uniform just a
fortnight before the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz -
has been under pressure.

"It's all very well to come down hard on him, but he's been through a
lot, and I fully support him 100 per cent," Ferguson said.

She said her nephew is "a great, great boy" and that "his mum (the
late Diana, Princess of Wales) would be so proud of him".

Spokesmen for the British royal family issued a statement in which
Harry - younger son of Prince Charles and the late Princess of Wales -
apologised.

"I am sorry if I caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone," said
Harry, who has previously attracted a string of headlines because of
his party-going habits.

"It was a poor choice of costume and I apologise."

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre, one of the world's leading Jewish human
rights organisations, has called Harry's behaviour "a shameful act"
and offensive to both Holocaust victims and soldiers who died
fighting Hitler's armies.

Harry is always in trouble isn't he? I mean, to go to a party wearing a swastika on his arm is unbelievable. But then again I'm not really surprised about any of this. I've never been convinced that he or William are really commited to their Royal roles ( not that I think wearing a swastika is the correct way to express this). I have been shot down in flames for expressing this opinion on this very website but maybe some people will now see where I am coming from. Although William is discreet in his ways both of them have always taken very little part in Royal life.When William, for example, turned 18 and should have then been addressed as "Sir" he expressly requested that people still call him Will. The Palace indicated that this would change when he turned 21 on which occasion he re-iterated that press and public should still address him by his first name. A minor point perhaps but he is now a man so when IS he going to accept that he is an HRH. If the answer is never then whats the point of him being a Prince and whats the point in having a Monarchy full stop? Frankly I think that both boys are thinking exactly the same thing and this may explain why Harry has decided to go totally his own way in life.

Well I think the military rank marks are the marks of a German Field marshall. So the only guy he wanted to be was Erwin Rommel.
Quite a poor choose. If you regard
1. The British royals are from German origin, to hide that they even changed their family name.
2. Rommel was the military leader against whose army divisions the brits lost more then 35.000 Soldiers, just in Africa.
Even if the Brits had much better supply, twice the troops and much better/more equipment. (Rommel lost about 18.000 soldiers in Africa).
3. The Germans wanted to colonize Britain..

mixer2002de said:
Well I think the military rank marks are the marks of a German Field marshall. So the only guy he wanted to be was Erwin Rommel.
Quite a poor choose. If you regard
1. The British royals are from German origin, to hide that they even changed their family name.
2. Rommel was the military leader against whose army divisions the brits lost more then 35.000 Soldiers, just in Africa.
Even if the Brits had much better supply, twice the troops and much better/more equipment. (Rommel lost about 18.000 soldiers in Africa).
3. The Germans wanted to colonize Britain..
Let's not turn this into a political discussion or a military might discussion.

I think all of us here understand the terrible meaning and symbolism behind Harry's costume, and what a horrific tragedy of history it evokes. We don't need to delve into what happened politically or what kiknd of military Germany or Great Britain had at the time.

Harry's decision and the reflection upon his decision-making in choosing to wear this costume provides more than enough fodder for discussion.

I have just watched two Royal experts on CNN and one claimed that Harry was in "tears of frustration" apparently yelling at his father that he has his "own life to live" and if giving up his Princley status is the price to pay for leading his own life then he will gadly do so. Intersting.

Oh wow! I'd love to see that!
I have heard that Harry has not been able to follow the career path
of his choice of being a professional athlete because it is not a suitable occupation for a prince.
I couldn't imagine not being able to choose anything for myself without a superior's permission (the queen, charles or even parliment)
Just think of the things he needs permission for:
career/occupation
education
wife/future family
behaviour
even the clothes he wears & what he says
I actually feel sorry for him, it seems to me that he's more of a prisoner in rebellion than anything else. The sad thing is that because he was born into this royal life he never had a choice!

PS. This in no way excuses his recent behaviour - he is lacking in common sense.

And what was William wearing, a leopard-skin costume? Who was he supposed to be, a native? Grr grr.

Best comment I saw the whole day about all of this:

" While the princes conduct is highly insensitive, I want to know, why are the elite scions of the UK attending a party called 'colonials and natives' Coming from South Africa I think this is indicative of the British Raj mentality that still exists for the Windsors and their ilk."

Last edited:
I can only say that, after hearing this, I was glad I live in a Republic. I have always been sympathetic to Harry over the death of his mother and everything, but, after more than 7 years, how long can he go on playing the lost lamb? It's time he took responsibility for his own actions and began acting like a responsible adult.

Last edited:
Ok first of all, I have never posted in this particular thread, but I like everyone else on here read about what Harry did, and I'm curious....Do any of you feel that his lastest mishap should or shouldn't keep him from getting into Sandhurst? Any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom