Prince Harry's Afrika Korps Costume: January 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennyllorac

Royal Highness
Country
United States
Warren, moderator of the British Forum, has retitled thread. I have quoted him here as a reference point. Thanks Warren, for your contributions!

I've just retitled this thread "Prince Harry's Nazi Costume," and it'll stay open for as long as people have constructive things to say on this subject. The new regular Harry thread is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4731

Please don't post any stuff about the Nazi costume over there; this thread will be available for as long as needed for this conversation to continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether the family supports interracial marriages or not I don't think matters as I don't think the British public would "support" an interracial marraige if William or Harry (or any other member) were to want one. While it's becoming more "natural" to see interracial couples in the public eye, societies have yet to embrace the idea of interracial relationships... It's a sad but true statistic.
I agree. But you know what else is sad is that ppl are ok with interracial marriages b/t asains (alexandra of denmark) and caucasians and even cubans (maria teresa of luxembourg) and caucasians, but if it ever came to a relationship b/t a black and a caucasian then whewww-there will be a big dillemma. This is insanely sad and hypocritical esp. the ones who say the USA is closeminded.:mad: Anyway this view should not be and I hope one of the heirs to the throne marries a nice, bllack lady that he is in love with and wants to share his life with. But just think of what she could go through. She could possibly be disdained by the public and other members of other royal families, but I pray that this is not the case.
Prince HArry should be careful of what he says cuz it could hurt alot of ppl.

Last edited by a moderator:
sandee said:
I was watching BBC NEWS on tv and heard about this story, so i went to their site ...heres the link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4170083.stm
He should really know better than to do something so stupid!! It's not a clever or funny outfit, it's really offensive. And the theme really pisses me off too.... colonials and natives? The days of the Empire are over!! And thank God for that!! Prince William should have made him take off that awful swastika.. the desert gear would have sufficed for the theme of the party. Badly done Harry!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Harry's Nazi Costume

:eek: :eek: What was Harry thinking when he wore a Nazi uniform to a party? He should have known better or should he? Maybe there is some truth to the rumor that Harry is not to bright up stairs. He is proving to be truly his paternal grandfather's grandson. After all the the noise he made over his mother's death. He now looks really stupid, and he doesn't make Eton College or the British royal's look to bright. Just think of all the money spent on his education or the years you would think he would have recieved a history lesson.

However, I think Harry maybe showing the world the ideology held by him and the entire royal family. It is sad to say, but it is so true. Harry's actions are unforgiveable. From this point on my sympathy for him and his brother will be no longer. He and maybe even William are not as sensitive as they are portrayed to be by Clarence House and the public media. I also read Willian was present at the party dressed as a lion. Now if William could have chosen an apprioprate costume than so could have Harry.

Last edited:
From BBC News:

Harry says sorry for Nazi costume

Prince Harry has apologised for wearing a swastika armband to a friend's fancy dress party.

Clarence House issued a statement in response to a photograph published on the front page of the Sun newspaper under the headline, "Harry the Nazi".

It read: "Prince Harry has apologised for any offence or embarrassment he has caused. He realises it was a poor choice of costume."

The Board of Deputies of British Jews said the costume was in "bad taste".

A spokesman said: "The board is pleased that he's apologised for the incident.

"It was clearly in bad taste, especially in the run-up to holocaust memorialday on the 27th of this month, which the Royal Family will be taking a leadingrole in commemorating."

The picture was taken at the weekend at a friend's birthday party in Wiltshire, which had the fancy dress theme "colonial and native".

Prince Harry, 20, appears to be wearing a German desert uniform and a swastika armband.

'Mistake'

Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain, of the Reform Synagogues of GreatBritain, said: "The fact that the palace has issued an apology indicates thatthis was a mistake by the prince.

"But having been given, the apology should now be accepted."

But the Queen's former assistant press secretary, Dickie Arbiter, said: "This young man has got to come up front and be seen in person making an apology."

Former armed forces minister Doug Henderson MP said the picture showed the prince was "not suitable" for the prestigious royal military academy Sandhurst, which he is due to attend later this year.

"If it was anyone else, the application wouldn't be considered. It should be withdrawn immediately," said the Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne North.

The prince, who is third in line to the throne, hit the headlines last year after a scuffle with a photographer at a nightclub.

The Sun reported that Prince William was also at the party - dressed as a lion.

Attachments

• _40716791_sun203ok.jpg
    _40716791_sun203ok.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,430
The Sydney Morning Herald

Harry's Nazi get-up
January 13, 2005 - 9:50AM

rhs_harry,0.jpg
The front page of The Sun showing Harry sporting a Nazi uniform.

Britain's Prince Harry apologised today after he was pictured on the front page of The Sun newspaper in a Nazi soldier's uniform he wore to a fancy dress party, the royal family said.

The Sun's front page showed the prince, with a cigarette and drink in hand, wearing a swastika armband.

The newspaper said he had attended a fancy dress party in the uniform of a fascist soldier.

In a statement, the prince said: "I am very sorry if I caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologise."

AFP

I don't think Harry thinks much about what he does beforehand...

Someone needs to take that lad in hand and make him think things through a bit before he acts on his various impulses. Some of the tabloid press is gunning for him as it is; there's no good reason for him to be handing them this sort of ammunition.

Edited to say - I've moved this thread to the Wales family forum.

This is so utterly horrible, tasteless, shameful and really disgusting! Wearing a nazi uniform and swastika – I mean is there even any way to apologise for this? And what the h*ll is Clarence House thinking – issuing a statement?! If an apology, acceptable or not, is to be delivered – it should be done directly by Harry himself.

After all the stupid and irresponsible things the United Kingdom’s 3rd in line to the throne has done – wouldn’t you think he have learnt something by now?! This really shows what an irresponsible brat Harry is. I wonder what will come next…

I think what's particularly disturbing is that Prince William was at the very same party and even if they arrived seperately did not approach his brother and immediately usher him out of the room.

What to say? It´s a shame...shame on Harry!
It´s one thing to celebrate wild parties and to be the "clown" of the family, and an other one to wear such an outfit! I can only assume (benefit of a doubt), Harry wasn´t aware of his mistake. Otherwise he would have noticed, that he might hurt people, who have made terrible experiences with the Nazi-regime or with neo-Nazis.
So he´s either an idiot, or a misled bad boy...both cases are neither good for his image, nor for the Royal family

I would hate to think that he is like his mother once said refering to her own intelligence "thick as a plank". Prince Harry really needs to think before he acts.

The boy is an a-hole and if I could talk to him in his face right now I would tell him. But I think that he is foolish. I also think that he should not be coddled cuz he has proven he is ready to go out into the world and make his own foolish decisions.

I think which is just as just as bad or even worse is that the theme of the party was "colonial and native". We don´t need such things anymore. Insult to the millions of people who have suffered under the Empire and the millions who supported them as well and to the millions who suffered under other colonialistic governments. Boo to the party planners!

Why would William go to such a thing? Geez dude...:((((

I think this is so horrible! How could Harry do something so offensive? Hasn't he ever learned about anit-Semitism? I mean, I've backed Harry before, but I've lost all hope in him ever being good. Someone needs to teach him a lesson.

You knwo maybe if I was not at college busting my bottom to succeed I would have more sympathy cuz we are both young and we should live like it. But he is at the age where he needs to be doing something for his future even if he is the prince. Myself and my peers at all universities are the same age as him, but we are working so hard and yet he has a vacation every other day. It is like he has taken super early retirement. Please get a life and make it count for the greater good!!!

found this pics of Harry's gf....Chelsy Davythe pic's from billed-bladet

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    48 KB · Views: 431
I knew it would only be a matter of time until that stupid boy messed up himself again. So, the tsunami aid relief work was a whole load of crock - packing relief items for those he probably deems "inferior." I distinctly remember his statement to his father concerning Chelsea - "She's not black or anything...". Now the Nazi costume: what a moron! So many victims of the Nazis: Jews, Roma, Slavs and the list goes on. He also forgot that so many British soldiers lost their lives fighting the Nazi advance across Europe.

P. Harry should be barred from Sandhurst. Clarence House jumped all over aa journalist who called Harry a "national disgrace". Harry is indeed a national disgrace; he is also a national sick joke. Sometimes I wonder if he is a Windsor, or a Hewitt.

Last edited:
kinneret5764 said:
I knew it would only be a matter of time until that stupid boy messed up himself again. So, the tsunami aid relief work was a whole load of crock - packing relief items for those he probably deems "inferior." I distinctly remember his statement to his father concerning Chelsea - "She's not black or anything...". Now the Nazi costume: what a moron! So many victims of the Nazis: Jews, Roma, Slavs and the list goes on. He also forgot that so many British soldiers lost their lives fighting the Nazi advance across Europe.

P. Harry should be barred from Sandhurst. Clarence House jumped all over aa journalist who called Harry a "national disgrace". Harry is indeed a national disgrace; he is also a national sick joke. Sometimes I wonder if he is a Windsor, or a Hewitt.
While I agree whole heartedly that the Nazi Costume was completely disgusting! I would not go so far as to say that his time spent volunteering for the Tsunami victims was a "load of crock."

I thought two things when I heard about the costume; (1) What the heck was Prince Harry thinking? Did he not think that this would somehow get back to the media and cause problems? For a guy who is apparently trying to stay out of the tabloids and not cause scandals, he is doing a terrible job. (2) Why was Prince Harry allowed go out in public wearing such an inappropriate costume? Prince Charles, or a royal aid, or even one Prince Harry's royal bodyguards should stopped him. IMO, this incident makes not only Prince Harry look bad, but also the entire royal family.

theprincess said:
I thought two things when I heard about the costume; (1) What the heck was Prince Harry thinking? Did he not think that this would somehow get back to the media and cause problems? For a guy who is apparently trying to stay out of the tabloids and not cause scandals, he is doing a terrible job. (2) Why was Prince Harry allowed go out in public wearing such an inappropriate costume? Prince Charles, or a royal aid, or even one Prince Harry's royal bodyguards should stopped him. IMO, this incident makes not only Prince Harry look bad, but also the entire royal family.
Exactly what I was thinking!! How could you even think it was funny - he's a prince for crying out loud. He should be setting a high standard. And how could anyone let him walk out the door like that - a bodyguard, aide, Someone must have seen him. What an idiot.

I used to think Harry was pretty cool, but this is just disgusting and shocking. Its just so disappointing...:(

Britters said:
While I agree whole heartedly that the Nazi Costume was completely disgusting! I would not go so far as to say that his time spent volunteering for the Tsunami victims was a "load of crock."
according to the bbc his brother was at the party and did make a remark about it but harry is obviously totally free to do as he wants and can not handle the responsibility. The boy has gone to Eton, you would think he had the ability to think logically.
He was said to make 1 step forward (doing volenteerwork) and 3 backwards.

a comedian has the ability to make us laugh when dressed up as a nazi but the a member of the RF not.
Doubt whether the royal family would be there if millions of people had not fought for our freedom in europe and it is an insult to the relatives of the victims of the nazis
if he is going to go to sandringham, they lost a great amount of soldiers during the war and he insulted their memory too.

Last edited:
Well, I don't even know what Nazi costumes have to do with a costume party whose theme was "colonial and native," but whatever. The only thing that can really be said in his favour, and that isn't much, is that at 20, WW2 is probably ancient history to him. However, there are still Holocaust survivors living in England; even if he didn't know that, someone might have pointed it out to him.

As far as getting barred from going to Sandhurst - at the moment he's behaving like a rootless disgrace; if he goes to Sandhurst, they may be able to knock some sense into him, whereas if he doesn't go, goodness knows what he'll be getting up to for the next few years.

Elspeth said:
Well, I don't even know what Nazi costumes have to do with a costume party whose theme was "colonial and native," but whatever. The only thing that can really be said in his favour, and that isn't much, is that at 20, WW2 is probably ancient history to him. However, there are still Holocaust survivors living in England; even if he didn't know that, someone might have pointed it out to him.

As far as getting barred from going to Sandhurst - at the moment he's behaving like a rootless disgrace; if he goes to Sandhurst, they may be able to knock some sense into him, whereas if he doesn't go, goodness knows what he'll be getting up to for the next few years.
he must have had a VERY good history teacher at eton, the lessons just did not register in his brain (hope he has one).

Sandhust (not sandringham) is indeed his only hope (and williams, what will he do with a brother that is so without sense and embaressing)

Ennyllorac said:
What was he thinking? :confused:
I totally agree!! I wonder sometimes if there is any activity in his top floor:confused: One thing is being a teenager and doing not so smart things, but he is almost done being a teenager, so he has to start think his actions through!

I am willing to bet you will not be seeing Harry with Chelsy or at any parties anytime soon as both Clarence House and Bucks House go into "damage control" mode.

I'm of the opinion this particular event, particularly because William was present, will have much longer term negative effects on his father and brother than people realize.

While it was exceptionally gracious for communities within Britain to accept the apology (which I believe is a religious tradition that you don't turn away someone who apologizes to you), the fact remains that it points to Harry's complete lack of knowledge on the subject and calls into question how he could have passed so many people that evening, most of all his brother, and not been stopped. That more than anything tends to reflect on others as well, not just Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom