Prince Harry: Visit to the United States - May 9-15, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have not heard the history of Arlington National Cemetery, where Prince Harry visited today, it has an interesting backstory.

At the time of the US civil war, it was a home owned by Confederate General Lee's wife and they resided there. As it was high ground overlooking Washington DC, it was soon strategically occupied by the North.

By 1863, Northern war dead had filled area cemeteries and Arlington was officially designated a military cemetery. It was an obvious slap to the Lee and Custis Lee family, to have their beautiful home become a place of honor for the North's military.

Also, I thought so but fashionista.com confirmed it. Harry's tie yesterday was covered with little blue rabbits - with an occasional ram or dog (Ican't make the other figure out). http://fashionista.com/uploads/2013/05/Screen-Shot-2013-05-10-at-8.22.47-AM.png

Who wears rabbit ties? LOL

Last edited:
For those of you who have not heard the history of Arlington National Cemetery, where Prince Harry visited today, it has an interesting backstory.

At the time of the US civil war, it was a home owned by Confederate General Lee's wife and they resided there. As it was high ground overlooking Washington DC, it was soon strategically occupied by the North.

By 1863, Northern war dead had filled area cemeteries and Arlington was officially designated a military cemetery. It was an obvious slap to the Lee and Custis Lee family, to have their beautiful home become a place of honor for the North's military.

Thanks for the backstory on the Historic Cemetery. I always thought that it was ironic & a Perfect resting place for the soldiers. It is a very Beautiful Spot.:flowers:. I was glad to hear that he also went to President Kennedy's Grave also. I don't remember hearing that they were going to visit his grave. However, I was pretty sure that they would being that he too was a Soldier not to mention The Commander - In - Chief. Very well done.

I agree with the board that they need to let Las V. go, It's done & over with ( not, to mention what he does in his off time is his business. No one was hurt). He is here on Official business & will do himself, his family & his Mother PROUD

that was funny to watch all the female congressional staffers squeal like 14 year old girls when he was in the capitol building today i loled

I'm actually glad Harry got a chance to go to The White House. I was wondering when the younger royals would be invited to the White House by the President. Unfortunately, President Obama was in Texas at the time but at least Harry was welcomed by The First Lady. I'm hoping William & Catherine will make it over to the White House at some point.

Harry is taking the US by storm.

:previous:

DMAN

Is it possible for you to give us some quotes that support the "taking US by storm? - US quotes rather than anything from the UK

Many thanks. :flowers:

:previous:

DMAN

Is it possible for you to give us some quotes that support the "taking US by storm? - US quotes rather than anything from the UK

Many thanks. :flowers:
I don't know if these are the types of quote you want.

@PageSix: Gov. Chris Christie: 'I'm spending the entire day with Prince Harry...believe me, nobody's going to get naked'

... [snipped]
@PageSix: Gov. Chris Christie: 'I'm spending the entire day with Prince Harry...believe me, nobody's going to get naked'
Is the comment supposed to be witty?:ermm: Is it necessary to remind people of Prince Henry's private visit to Las Vegas in such manner?

Is the comment supposed to be witty?:ermm: Is it necessary to remind people of Prince Henry's private visit to Las Vegas in such manner?

It's a quote from Chris Christie. He's not known for grace or tact and no one would take what he said overly seriously.

/He's the governor of New Jersey

Apparently, Chris Christie thinks it is witty. I think it is a cheap shot at Henry's expense. I also think it is Christie's means of making light of his size. The stomach stapling surgery doesn't seem to be working. But, it still is not nice to say that about being naked, although Paul McCartney said the same thing when he sang at the Super Bowl. Take the comment tongue in cheek or with a grain of salt, whichever is more appropriate to you.

I took gov. Christie's comment to be more directed at himself - self deprecating, rather than a dig @ PH. Not a terribly sensitive or tactful remark, but I doubt Harry's upset about it. Wasn't this remark made several days ago?

Al bina - Gov. Christie is one of the few governors who can get away with saying this kind of thing. He is a big, in your face, New Jersey guy, who always has a quip and frequently says what he is thinking. He is a conservative with a big heart (and even he might agree a big mouth).

He is the kind of uncle that would explain to the hot bridesmaids at a wedding what a doofus you had been as a kid - just as you were trying to get to know those lovely young ladies. And because he also has a big heart - he gets away with it. We all shrug our shoulders at it. It is a US cultural thing that we get but not many other people do. He means no harm. :D

Last edited:
Lengthy coverage on American TV (CNN and Fox) of Harry at the burial site of Afghan veterans. Also coverage of his visit to a charity (I think for injured vets, came in late) hosted by Michelle Obama. He said little either place.

The Ceremony is Now Live.

harry is doing a great work!!! he is capitan of the army, right? The flowers are so sweet

Very nice pictures of Harry at the games. Also, very nice that he played before the opening. Hope we see him wearing his new monogrammed red Nike shoes back at home. They should've gave a pair to William ;)

Last edited:
harry is doing a great work!!! he is capitan of the army, right? The flowers are so sweet

If I remember correctly, Harry is a captain and is know as "Captain Harry Wales" in within the army. :flowers:

Last edited:
In the photos where Harry is wearing a United Kingdom Military team shirt while playing seated volleyball, does anyone know if the other members of his team are also from the UK or if they are American's playing on Harry's team? I'm wondering if some members of the UK military are over here for treatment.

He's been so poised, and a natural! I'm thinking he looks and acts a lot like Diana, and it's funny how he seems to tower over everyone over here!

:ROFLMAO:

In the photos where Harry is wearing a United Kingdom Military team shirt while playing seated volleyball, does anyone know if the other members of his team are also from the UK or if they are American's playing on Harry's team? I'm wondering if some members of the UK military are over here for treatment.

I do remember seeing mentioned that there would be a contingent of wounded warriors from the UK participating in the Wounded Warrior Games. I don't believe the UK contingent is made up from those here in the US for medical treatment but are a team formed in the UK to participate in the Games.

Found this: The veteran combat helicopter pilot, wearing brown camouflage and boots, chatted with individual athletes on the United Kingdom team in Colorado Springs on Saturday morning.

Prince Harry in Colo for wounded vet Warrior Games - Salon.com

Last edited:
Pics from today at the hand cycling race. Search - Getty Images UK: prince harry

It is hard to tell who feels happier about the intimate 1:1 interactions at the starting line - Harry or the competitors. Clearly, his absolute strength is interacting with comrades in arms.

I re-learned something from an interview with one of the Warrior Games competators. The guy described how great it was to chat with someone like Harry about things other than his injury. Harry was able to have a normal conversation with the guy and did not home in on the injury.

I remember that from when my mom had cancer. It was invaluable that the disease not take over her life - even when we knew it was going to take her life. We all learned to talk with her about normal life stuff and her friends did too. Myra was Myra - she never was the disease.

That's a great lesson and it's amazing the Harry has this down cold at such a young age. I like him a lot.

I also really enjoy looking at him a lot. :lol::blush:

Oh and here is a nice "Harry with Baby" story. Uncle hardy har har! http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...0-month-old-baby-at-event-in-colorado-2013125

Last edited:
I never really understand Harry's appeal-until I actually see him "in action" like on those videos. He oozes charisma and makes it all look effortless-his mother's son for sure! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom