Prince Harry: Visit to New York, USA - May 29-30, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_night554

Heir Apparent
City
Vancouver
Country
Canada
Well its official
The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry to visit New York City

Prince Harry is to make a two-day visit to New York City where he will carry out a number of official engagements focusing on the British community, US veterans and young people. He will also take part in the Veuve Clicquot Manhattan Polo Classic match in support of American Friends of Sentebale, the US branch of Sentebale, the charity of which Prince Harry is Patron. The visit, the official parts of which will be supported by Her Majesty’s (HM) Consulate-General in New York, will last from Friday, 29th May to Saturday, 30th May.

Last edited by a moderator:
New details about the visit have emerged:

Prince Harry To Take Bite Out Of Big Apple

But his spokesman warns that Harry, who recently became single, is unlikely to have time to enjoy the nightlife of the Big Apple. "I think he'll be cream-crackered to be honest with you. "It's 36 hours on the hoof... a lightening visit," the spokesman explained.

Coming to America: Prince Harry!

During his visit, Harry will pay his respects and lay a wreath in memory of those who died on 9/11, as well as meet American service personnel. "He will meet privately with young men who have been wounded," says a palace spokesman of the prince's "lightning visit." "Harry wants to get under the skin of the thing and find out how injured personnel are cared for."
Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, is paying privately for Harry's travel and that of his staff.

Wow, a whooping 36h trip occurring mostly on the w-e. I am sure his flight instructors will be devastated.
:whistling:

I was thinking of stalking the streets of Manhattan to find him lol... I live an hour way.

Wow, a whooping 36h trip occurring mostly on the w-e. I am sure his flight instructors will be devastated.:whistling:
I am sure they have already worked out how to deal with the situation and have plans to cover all eventualities, ie, if he is too jetlagged to display working, he will be studying hard!:whistling: They will have worked out how to help him play catch up because as we all know he will hardly be bright eyed and bushy tailed when he reports back to... work!:D

36th? That seems far too many for someone who is training, but then I am sure he will pass and with a very high grade. Serving in the armed forces is in his genes.

This is awesome. I'd like to get a glimpse of him, but hundreds of others would have the same idea, so I'll pass.

36th? That seems far too many for someone who is training, but then I am sure he will pass and with a very high grade. Serving in the armed forces is in his genes.
:englandflag::flowers: I am sure we all believe he will pass and with the highest grades.

I wonder if there will be an opportunity to see Harry. I do live in Manhattan and would not mind standing on the street to catch a glimpse. Alas it looks like his schedule is rather busy, so I guess I won't have to worry about how to word the invitation to drinks at my apartment!

Polo maintains an image as a sport that's regal and royal - note Prince Harry's upcoming visit New York to play a match. But it's not as stuffy as you might think

Prince Harry Brings Polo Fashion To NY - CBS News

Prince Harry and a soldier who had both his legs blown off in Afghanistan are visiting the US to meet wounded American troops.

Royal Marine Joe Townsend - who stepped on a land mine in Helmand Province last February - will be alongside the Royal when he visits a veterans' hospital in New York on Friday

Prince Harry to meet wounded US troops

Polo maintains the image of a sport that's regal and royal - note Prince Harry's upcoming visit to New York to play a match - but it's not as stuffy as you might think

The Canadian Press: You may not play polo but you can dress the part, just don't overdo it

Hope he can stay longer next time. Plenty of private clubs after public appearances, and many women (much younger and more shapely than myself) available to improve Anglo-US relationships.

I'm glad, though, that he has a schedule heavy on the service personnnel. I still think it was rotten that he had to be pulled out of active service on the lines, and this is a way that he can remain in touch with what is clearly a priority for him.

MSNBC has live coverage for those who get the channel.

The Warrior Prince - Page 1 - The Daily Beast
It is nice to see Prince Henri being recognised for his charity work.[/font]

It is nice to see them recognising Prince Harry's work but they have for a while, second of course to his partying he is known for being alot like his mother. Wonderful to see him doing engagments in another country. I believe he is the first out of the brothers??
x

The scale of the PR challenge facing the 24-year-old prince, who has set foot in the US only once before, as a child, has been underlined by advance media coverage. The New York Daily News noted his "hard-partying ways", Time magazine highlighted his penchant for "long, alcohol-fueled nights" and the Associated Press reminded its subscribers of the apology he had to make for wearing a Nazi swastika at a fancy-dress party.

"the tour has been carefully planned to be sober, sombre and serious. Although the polo match – part of the Veuve Clicquot Manhattan Polo Classic – was the initial trigger for the visit",
Prince Harry visits New York on charity mission | UK news | guardian.co.uk
-------------------
Are we to understand that in order to allow Harry to play a game of polo, his PR team swung into action to facilitate a reason for him going to the US?

Having seen some representatives of other monarchies going to the US on official visits (some even ranking higher than Harry, eg the CPs from Denmark or Spain) and looking at the video footage it becomes so obvious again that the only monarchy that is a crowd puller over there are the Brits. Amazing. People are interested and go watch Harry. Maybe because he is Diana's son or QE II's grandson or because they appreciate that he did come at all for whatever reason.

Too bad Harry is only the spare because I believe he has much more potential than his boring brother William once he has grown up. He's definitely a people's person, not one bit reserved and could be a great ambassador for the institution among his generation. And for anyone who still believes he's Hewitt's son have a look at his gestures and the way he does things - no doubt he's a true Windsor. As with William, I see much more Charles in Harry than Diana.

He's definitely a people's person, not one bit reserved and could be a great ambassador for the institution among his generation
A great pity he has not put the effort in for charities in his own country, as for Windsor gestures, you do not inherit them, they are learned.:flowers:
--------------------------------
Paying his first visit to New York City, Prince Harry visited ground zero on Friday and planted a small magnolia tree at the British Memorial Garden in Lower Manhattan.

Britain’s Prince Harry on First Visit to New York - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

My sister caught a glimpse of him today, as he planted the tree in Hanover Square/British Garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom