Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I was thinking more a private event. I am not sure if there is a public celebration planned for the anniversary, but likely a family get together. I agree, no official famiky event until officially engaged.

Harry is not going elope. He is a royal and a very popular one at that even more so than his brother!

One thing I've learned in life is to say "never say never". Harry very well could up and decide that he and Meghan would just hop a plane to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator. Its illogical to think that he would actually do that but its within the realm of possibility. They could do this and be secretly wed now for all we know. Then again, I could be watching too many reruns of "Frasier" on the tube. :D

What would remain is that most likely an elopement would be just that. A personal exchange of vows between two people. As a royal and to perhaps be "legally wed" in the church and in the registers, they would have another "big" church wedding with all the trimmings in the UK.

We've seen it often enough that a couple will have a civil wedding somewhere and then later have the church wedding. I believe Albert and Charlene of Monaco did something similar.

Just odd thoughts here.

One thing I've learned in life is to say "never say never". Harry very well could up and decide that he and Meghan would just hop a plane to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator. Its illogical to think that he would actually do that but its within the realm of possibility. They could do this and be secretly wed now for all we know. Then again, I could be watching too many reruns of "Frasier" on the tube. :D

Of course, if Harry married Megham secretly he would be forfeiting his succession rights and those of future descendants born of his marriage with Meghan.

The process of consenting to a royal marriage is actually quite involved. As mentioned in the official explanatory notes to the Succession of the Crown Act, the (unwritten) convention is that the Queen should inform the government first of the proposed union and then seek advice from her ministers prior to signifying her consent in a formal meeting of the Privy Council as required by law for marriages of the first six persons in line to the throne.

Last edited:
I thought the ones who did civil first was because it was required by law to do it that way in their countries...I think France and Germany require it.

LaRae

I thought the ones who did civil first was because it was required by law to do it that way in their countries...I think France and Germany require it.

LaRae

Belgium and the Netherlands certainly do. Both W-A / Máxima and Philippe /Mathilde were already married in a civil ceremony prior to the religious wedding service.

So more than a couple of countries have this requirement then. Interesting.

LaRae

I just think the 'elopement' nonsense is cooked up and possibly planted by those (whether royal fans or outsider-insiders in the royal firmament) who have not warmed up to Meghan, and who have an interest in dismissing her importance as a prospective royal bride deserving of royal treatment. Or else, the non-story is pure tripe dreamed up by tabloids and regurgitated nonsensically.

Of course its all cooked up by a media that has absolutely nothing else to report.

If the Queen and the Privy Council has already given their blessing for Harry to go ahead with the proposal, who's to say they couldn't or wouldn't want their own "private" wedding first for just the two of them. The Queen would most likely be in on the whole thing and just maintain her silence and the big church wedding in the UK would be in the planning stages.

Not saying that this would ever happen in reality most likely but it *could* happen. If Harry and Meghan have been masters so far of keeping their relationship so private and under the radar, its plausible that these two could finagle a "private" wedding for just the two of them.

Stranger things have happened.

We've seen it often enough that a couple will have a civil wedding somewhere and then later have the church wedding. I believe Albert and Charlene of Monaco did something similar.

Just odd thoughts here.

Albert and Charlene had both a religious and a civil marriage ceremony because there is a strict separation of church and state. Neither recognizes the other ceremony so both are required to be legally married in the eyes of the state and the eyes of the church. This is true in Monaco and France, not sure where else.

ETA: Answered before I saw Pranter's answer upthread,

Last edited:
I believe when Prince Harry does decide to marry, as a man in love and a full-time royal, he will want to show off the woman he loves and intends to share the rest of his life with to the UK and Commonwealth. An elopement smacks of something not quite up to scratch, not quite good enough.

In the UK the civil aspect of a marriage is carried out by a registrar.

In a catholic marriage, a registrar needs to be present, as well as the priest ( terrible family mess when the registrar was omitted).

Vicars and other members of the CoE are registrars (authorised personnel).

Really !! I never knew that I thought that was only other European countries. Here you just need a priest or minister etc or civil celebrant

Here while a registrar doesn't need to be present, as in Luxemborg where they have a civil and a religious wedding, a register is required. Really just means a stop at the court house to pick up a marriage license. It is usually signed as part of the ceremony, but it is witnessed at the court house by a register.

I believe when Prince Harry does decide to marry, as a man in love and a full-time royal, he will want to show off the woman he loves and intends to share the rest of his life with to the UK and Commonwealth. An elopement smacks of something not quite up to scratch, not quite good enough.

I completely agree with you. Further, it is all so unnecessary.

Should the couple in question choose to marry, I am reasonablysure they will marry at St George's, Windsor.

Goodness yes! She will be becoming a Princess of the UK, it will a very official occasion!

For all we know the proposal could have already taken place, just the timing of it's announcement left to come. They don't necessarily go hand in hand.

William and Kate got engaged three or four weeks before their own announcement while on holiday in Kenya. The only thing prompting "something ws up" was they arrived together at a friend's wedding during that period whereas before that they would arrive separately.

This is a big year for the family, with the Queen's major milestones along of course with the 20th anniversary of the death of Diana, which the boys are making sure is well documented and her life celebrated.

Harry may rather let the year pass or let all the major events pass with it before he and Meghan make any announcement.

:previous: Interesting comments by Prince Albert of Monaco, especially in that his mother was an American actress who married into European royalty.

In addition to his twins with wife, Princess Charlene, Albert also has two out-of-wedlock older children (one of whom is 'bi-racial').

Of course, by this point, if they are intent upon having a life together, there's not much more that Harry & Meghan can do except, 'Keep calm and carry on.' ?

Yes; it was interesting indeed that Albert commented about the relationship. I wonder why, as he doesn't seem have a particular closeness with any members of the BRF. Of course he's entitled to speak about the relationship but I just thought it was a bit odd. Maybe that's just me though.

There may be a relationship between them we aren't aware of...never know what they are up to behind the scenes.

LaRae

^^ Well, for one thing, I'm sure Prince Albert was asked to comment (apparently in connection with the fact that his own mother, Princess Grace, was an American actress who married into European royalty).

And yes, Prince Albert could very well have more than a casual acquaintance with the British royals.

^^ Well, for one thing, I'm sure Prince Albert was asked to comment (apparently in connection with the fact that his own mother, Princess Grace, was an American actress who married into European royalty).

And yes, Prince Albert could very well have more than a casual acquaintance with the British royals.

It was just a simple wonder I had, that's all.

And since we don't know their relationships behind the scenes I was all the more curious.

Y'know, I think that if we took all the two cents worth of opinions on Harry and Meghan's relationship that have been expressed here and every other place in cyberspace and in the media, we could probably pool enough two cents from them all to finance the biggest, grandest and most glorious wedding every to be seen in our lifetime.

Just my own two cents worth. :D

Yes; it was interesting indeed that Albert commented about the relationship. I wonder why, as he doesn't seem have a particular closeness with any members of the BRF. Of course he's entitled to speak about the relationship but I just thought it was a bit odd. Maybe that's just me though.

Not really odd of him to comment on the relationship. It appears he doesn’t know much when he says "they seem to have a good relationship" and just giving good advice. Someone who's knows what goes on behind closed doors wouldn't give them advice through people magazine. At least he wasn't asked about the engagement rumors.

Personally, I would think HM and the DoE would be over the moon and sentimental to the nth degree should Harry and Meghan announce their engagement on their 70th wedding anniversary. For them, I think it would be icing on the anniversary cake. :D

Harry and Meghan wouldn't overshadow the 70th anniversary but rather enhance it. November 20th would continue on into posterity as a romantic day of the year.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It would be a lovely shared date.

I was delightfully surprised that Prince Albert- Sovereign Prince of Monaco- a head of state should publicly comment about Prince Harry's relationship.

Yes folks the engagement is coming! ?

I wouldn't take the fact that Albert spoke about them indicates an engagement is coming.

I think if their relationship continues on it's current path, yes they will get married...time will tell.

LaRae

I wouldn't take the fact that Albert spoke about them indicates an engagement is coming.

I think if their relationship continues on it's current path, yes they will get married...time will tell.

LaRae

I think Albert was being sympathetic to H&M because of the media instrusion have faced.

I assume Prince Albert was asked for a comment, not that he volunteered one. I thought he did a pretty good job of pivoting very quickly away from Harry and Meghan to instead talk about his own family. He only said about a sentence and a half of very generic stuff about H&M, really. He gave much more energy to talking about his mother and reinforcing the idea that his own wife's difficulty during their engagement wasn't her trying to run away (that was such a ridiculous case of rumor mill on overdrive!) but was instead her having a hard time adjusting to being under the press microscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom