Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZmaNnBrwY

In this interview, she states if she wasn't acting she would be involved in politics. The RF stays neural and quiet on political matters. Would she be able to do the same? I can't imagine the press would take well to an American member of the RF commenting on British affairs.
Also interesting she had issues passing the foreign service exam.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZmaNnBrwY

In this interview, she states if she wasn't acting she would be involved in politics. The RF stays neural and quiet on political matters. Would she be able to do the same? I can't imagine the press would take well to an American member of the RF commenting on British affairs.
Also interesting she had issues passing the foreign service exam.

Her statement in that video about politics is pretty vague. Whether or not it would be difficult for her to be neutral on political matters depends on what aspect of politics/governance she would have wanted to take on in her career and what about it interests her.

She was on a diplomatic career track before shifting into acting; in many ways the job of a royal is all about diplomacy. It should be noted that the Foreign Service Exam has a reputation for being very difficult. The written portion covers a very broad range of subjects and the interview phase involves having to troubleshoot complicated, thorny problems very quickly while a panel watches. She must have passed it, though, to have worked in the embassy in Argentina.

There are a lot of political positions within government agencies that are about championing/enacting policies related to the welfare of citizens. In monarchies, the next step after passing those policies through the government seems to be snagging some member of the royal family to highlight the new programs through patronages, attending key events, etc. So if that's what interested her, there's still very much a role to play.

But yes, if what she wanted to do was run for an elected office, play a role in campaigns or crafting laws, the royal life might be frustrating for her.

The good news for Meghan is that she seems to have already had a pretty good idea of what she wants to do with her life and what she finds fulfilling. She's experienced a dramatic change in career already, when she shifted from foreign service to acting. So that surely puts her in a good position to really think through whether her goals and aspirations line up well with the kind of life Harry has to offer. We'll just have to "stay tuned" to see what she and her prince decide on that matter.

Her statement in that video about politics is pretty vague. Whether or not it would be difficult for her to be neutral on political matters depends on what aspect of politics/governance she would have wanted to take on in her career and what about it interests her.

She was on a diplomatic career track before shifting into acting; in many ways the job of a royal is all about diplomacy. It should be noted that the Foreign Service Exam has a reputation for being very difficult. The written portion covers a very broad range of subjects and the interview phase involves having to troubleshoot complicated, thorny problems very quickly while a panel watches. She must have passed it, though, to have worked in the embassy in Argentina.

There are a lot of political positions within government agencies that are about championing/enacting policies related to the welfare of citizens. In monarchies, the next step after passing those policies through the government seems to be snagging some member of the royal family to highlight the new programs through patronages, attending key events, etc. So if that's what interested her, there's still very much a role to play.

But yes, if what she wanted to do was run for an elected office, play a role in campaigns or crafting laws, the royal life might be frustrating for her.

The good news for Meghan is that she seems to have already had a pretty good idea of what she wants to do with her life and what she finds fulfilling. She's experienced a dramatic change in career already, when she shifted from foreign service to acting. So that surely puts her in a good position to really think through whether her goals and aspirations line up well with the kind of life Harry has to offer. We'll just have to "stay tuned" to see what she and her prince decide on that matter.

I think she had an internship at the Embassy, not an actual position(I could be wrong though). I just looked up the foreign service exam and process and its very intense. I wonder how many start the process and make it to the end.

I think she had an internship at the Embassy, not an actual position(I could be wrong though). I just looked up the foreign service exam and process and its very intense. I wonder how many start the process and make it to the end.

Oh, I hadn't heard that it was an internship. One way or another, it is a very intense process. I have family who went into foreign service after earning very intensive advanced degrees; they were on pins and needles until they passed the test in a way that they never were about any of the big hurdles involved in graduate school!

She worked at the embassy of Argentina, so I don't know what kind or what level of politics she is talking about. She, to me, seems so charming, easy going, and easy to talk to/with.

I think Meghan is one of the most ill suited royal girlfriends in a long time. If they do get married, she's really going to struggle to be accepted into The Firm and British society in general.

It's Harry's choice obviously, but I think 'Media Meghan' is in for a rude awakening when the time comes.

What do you know about British society, being a Canadian? No offense.

Also, the "Media Meghan" nickname baffles me- is it because she has an Instagram account and a blog? Wow. Shocking! She has social media like the majority of the population! How exactly does that make her a bad girlfriend for Harry? As far as I know she has been discreet and posts innocuous things, mostly motivational quotes or pictures of her humanitarian work.

If Diana was a royal girlfriend today, she'd probably have social media too.

What do you know about British society, being a Canadian? No offense.

Also, the "Media Meghan" nickname baffles me- is it because she has an Instagram account and a blog? Wow. Shocking! She has social media like the majority of the population! How exactly does that make her a bad girlfriend for Harry? As far as I know she has been discreet and posts innocuous things, mostly motivational quotes or pictures of her humanitarian work.

If Diana was a royal girlfriend today, she'd probably have social media too.

Media Meghan is just projection. As an actress the media and publicity is just a part of life but IMHO Meghan is fairly lowkey. I followed her before Prince Harry and she was like any other low key celebrity who acts, promotes their show, gets involved with humanitarian issues, but regarding her personal life I didnt even know she was married. People say she is a social climber and yet she never talked about her relationships and her IG page never mentioned her boyfriend or husband. My impression at that time was that she was on the Kerry Washington track of being on a hit show, involved in fashion and lifestyle and also politics while keeping her private life private. The exact opposite of The Kardashian model.

If my impression is wrong then I need receipts and not just tumblr rumors and conspiracy theory.

Quite right Marge. I agree with you!

By the way, the Express asked the Westminster Abbey authorities about Harry marrying a divorcee and about a possible interfaith marriage there, and a spokesperson said that both were OK.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'CAN marry at Westminster Abbey' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Although the reply from the Abbey authorities is reassuring for the couple, my humble impression, which may be wrong BTW, is that the real goal of this particular article in the Express was to draw the readers' attention to the fact that Meghan is a "divorcee" and once self-identitified herself as a "Jew" and "half black, half white". In other words, there might be a malicious intention behind it.

That says more about The Firm than Meghan, if I'd think it to be true. But I'm struggling to see how she's ill suited. And I'm struggling to what the rude awakening is going to be.

Imo the whole BRF is big on media and PR, 'Media Meghan' has even that experience in the bag.

The only person to decide she is ill suited would be Harry. It is his personal life and choice. I have no doubt in my mind that whoever Harry marries will be well protected from The Firm.

Although the reply from the Abbey authorities is reassuring for the couple, my humble impression, which may be wrong BTW, is that the real goal of this particular article in the Express was to draw the readers' attention to the fact that Meghan is a "divorcee" and once self-identitified herself as a "Jew" and "half black, half white". In other words, there might be a malicious intention behind it.

That's weird because we already knew that. I read it as the author showing that their is nothing standing in their way.

Last edited:
That's weird because we already knew that. I read it as the author showing that their is nothing standing in their way.

Well, those of us who enjoy following royal news already knew that. But folks just starting to pay attention to Harry and Meghan after the wedding and polo sightings may not have been aware before reading this...

I would bet a lot of money that she didn't pass the Foreign Service Exams. Not underestimating her capability to pass it, just that most people have a fanatic view towards becoming a career diplomat so I can't imagine anybody who's passed the exams to afterwards decide on becoming an actor. I've met US diplomats who used to be an actual part-time clown while studying for the exams, an aid worker, a military man, but the end goal was joining the Foreign Service. Studying for the exams itself already feels like a career. (I don't know exactly how the US exams go but in my country, you study and prepare for the process, take the 5 stages of the exams which last 2 years, and when you pass you spend 2 years in the Capital before being assigned as Third Secretary first. Attachés and Assistants have different exams--less stringent but still not easy.)

My guess is she was an intern or or under contract consultant or volunteer for an attached agency like USAid.

It was an internship. It's in this interview. It's also unclear if she actually graduated from Northwestern since she talks about going to LA after Argentina and getting acting jobs.

Meghan Markle Interview - Rachel Zane Suits USA Actress

I also started working directly after doing a university internship that doesn't mean that I didn't graduate. MM is part of Northwestern alumni. During a Suits promotion at NW, there were also interviews discussing in print and video, she graduated in 2003.

It was an internship. It's in this interview. It's also unclear if she actually graduated from Northwestern since she talks about going to LA after Argentina and getting acting jobs.

Meghan Markle Interview - Rachel Zane Suits USA Actress

From the sources mouth itself and I don't mean Meghan. This is northwesterns alumni magazine. Refers to her as convocation 2003.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2014/02/18/campus/alumna-brings-new-season-of-suits-to-campus/

As for her talking about political career I don't see the concern. She wasn't saying if she quit acting today she'd go into politics. But that if she hadn't gone into acting, her other choice was politics.

Like many college students she had a double major, theater and foreign relations in her case. She chose to pursue theater. She switched majors at one point. The internship she took seemed to be to test if she liked it or not. By the time she graduated she had decided on acting so no need for foreign service exam.

Many people end up on different paths then they started. I went to university and pursued a double major in history abd English. Even did a year towards a masters. Now I am a nurse.

Exactly, Countessmeout completely understandable. I did something similar with my university major and career changes, therefore not difficult for me to relate.

I also don't see the big deal about previous interviews Meg has done referring to politics. She is not a member of the BRF yet. And in those interviews, she did not say, hey people now I'm dating Prince Harry, I'm going to be a part time princess and run to be president of the US too. Meghan has clearly shown that she is more than capable to do what is necessary when it is needed. IMO she has already done this, decreased her public social media posts, shut down her blog, The Tig, didn't renew her contract for her clothing line. In the meantime, she continues to quietly complete her acting contract, good for her!

All these interviews she was giving before, partly to promote Suits, weren't her CV, she wasn't asked for career paths or exact time lines of her studies. She gave answers to what if scenarios, if she wasn't an actress, a hypothetical situation. She seems to have found another passion in charity work, where she also can make a difference.

Communications vs convocation. Notice the difference :flowers:

Julia is referred to having been a communications student of the class of 1983. She isn't referred to as a graduate because she didn't.

Meghan is referred to as convocation 2003. That is a graduate.

My husband and I graduated from Northwestern University. There is a website for alumni where you can look up anyone who graduated. Megan is not listed under Megan Markle but under Rachel Markle . She graduated from the School of Communication in 2003. So I hope this ends that discussion. Someone else brought up Julia Louis Dreyfus. Many of Northwestern's famous school of speech/communication graduates did not actually graduate from Northwestern University. From Ann-Margret to the girl in Father of the Bride, many are discovered while students at Northwestern and do not return.

Of course that is also how I read the headline of the link. In my normal rounds of internet activity, I scroll through the headlines of "news" on AOL sometimes and its not unusual for 3-4 articles about the British royals to flash up. One that came up several times in the last month or so was "why Harry couldn't marry at Westminster Abbey" or similar. So, in my mind, that was basically the information being fed to the general public. This link today will probably show up on that news feed sooner or later too and dispel the previous statements.

I do think that any royal should just be an adult and have a straightforward relationship with the press instead of an immature cloak/dagger approach or in fact, resentfulness punctuated with lawsuits.

Exactly; she's not suing the media for taking an interest in covering her.

Well, we are certainly nailing it today, AristoCat, not so? ;) I'm with you!

Well in the last two years Harry has filed 3 complainants against the press plus he issued the 'infamous' open letter regarding harassment of Meghan last fall.

If Meghan has an issue with the way the royals deal with press intrusion, maybe she shouldn't marry Harry

Last edited:
The way I see it is that whatever road or path Meghan has taken in her past were all decisions made by her personally as the way she wanted to go with her life. One different turn at a fork in the road could have put her elsewhere than meeting Harry when she did. The past got her to where she is now.

The crossroads where both Harry and Meghan are right now and the decisions they make will determine their path in the future and as my crystal ball is in the shop for deep cleaning and polishing, that path will remain murky until they walk it and who knows where it will take them in the years to come if they decide to walk the road together.

Life is a beautiful thing filled with challenges and twists and turns and surprises.

Well in the last two years Harry has filed 3 complainants against the press plus he issued the 'infamous' open letter regarding harassment of Meghan last fall.

If Meghan has an issue with the way the royals deal with press intrusion, maybe she shouldn't marry Harry

No one should have to put up with racially charged articles or blatantly sexist journalism. Also, calling out the press for trying to enter her garage, the press was out of line.

It seems like Harry had a problem with it, not only Meghan, as he issued the statement, and he is the royal. William supported him, and he's the second in line to be the king.
It seems like the royals were fine with that way of dealing with the press intrusion.

Here is a similar article about Julia Louis Dreyfus. Same format.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/...umps-immigrant-ban-while-accepting-sag-award/

However, Julia never graduated. She left early to join SNL.

Article about getting honorary degree where she mentioned not graduating.

On the Wild Side: Northwestern Magazine - Northwestern University

So Communications 03 is not really not prove of graduating. However we are veering off topic so I won't make any more posts.

Meghan graduated from Northwestern University in 2003 with a double major in Theater and International Relations. That is a fact which has been backed up by numerous sources.

On Meghan being political, my fear, however, is that Meghan, like many Americans, may have the illusion that the British Royal Family can actually influence public policy and, accordingly, may be tempted to see her marriage to Harry as a way to do so. Although the monarch and, to a lesser extent, the heir to the Crown may still have a marginal (albeit declining ) political influence (mostly due to their direct line of communication with the government) , Meghan, as the wife of the 5th in line to the throne, will have no such power. Again, if she expects to have any political influence then, she may be indeed on her way to a disappointing (but not necessarily "rough") awakening.

Last edited:
For me, its interesting to note that although Meghan may have stated that she might have gone into politics, her actual involvement in issues stemmed more towards the humanitarian than political.

Many of the humanitarian issues are those that would be acceptable for Meghan to champion on the world stage as Harry's wife and not be political at all. I can especially see Meghan joining forces with other royals on UN issues or Anne's Save the Children or Harry's Sentebale or.. or.. or... the list goes on.

To me it seems that Meghan's heart is directed more to making changes for the better in lives than to advocate for political policy changes.

Clearly Harry and Kensington Palace had the sense that racist and malicious comments are unacceptable behaviour. IMO, it was the decent thing to do. When human beings act in an atrocious manner, they should be called out for it and the incidents should not be treated as 'oh well that's the way it has always been, let's continue with being vulgar and nasty'. It is a terrible shame that in this day and age there are people who think so less of fellow human beings that they think it is ok for them to be harassed.

Harry, William, other members of RF and the general public have every right to complain if they want, that is why there is a complaint process in place.

Last edited:
No one should have to put up with racially charged articles or blatantly sexist journalism. Also, calling out the press for trying to enter her garage, the press was out of line.

It seems like Harry had a problem with it, not only Meghan, as he issued the statement, and he is the royal. William supported him, and he's the second in line to be the king.
It seems like the royals were fine with that way of dealing with the press intrusion.

Some people are mad at Meghan for being upset over the media's racist coverage of her mother's family. They see nothing wrong with the coverage stating that Meghan should just keep quiet over the racist overtones and accept it. So as always instead of supporting the victim the champion the rights of the racist media and place the blame on the person who did not ask for the abuse. I find it all sad.

Actually, at the time Harry and KP released the statement to admonish the press for their treatment of Meghan and her family, I saw it as them putting their money where their mouth is so to speak. It wasn't issued just because Meghan happened to be the girlfriend of Harry's at the time but because it was downright bullying and harassing and intrusion tactics against another human being that resulted from a press interest because of a royal.

If I'm not mistaken, The Royal Foundation already had in place a campaign against bullying in many areas of society that Will, Kate and Harry had addressed previous to this KP release. With Meghan, the press overstepped their boundaries and the right and proper thing that was done is to publicly call them out for their bad behavior. The statement not only was a means of protecting Meghan but was also setting a clear example that it should not and will not be tolerated and fortified the stance the royals were taking already on such matters.

At least thats how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom