Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the comment referred to her other qualities instead of her looks? She was supposedly very intelligent and had an interest in science and history.

But it's said that most of her contemporaries considered her ugly. I read an account in which she was described as resembling a gargoyle.

(I think the theory that she had African ancestry is quite recent, though).

Yes recent, as in the last decade or so. A biographer wrote an expose claiming she was descended from a black portugese line. But even in charlottes time, if it's true, it was quite a few generations back.

Yes, the woman had an unfortunate reputation for her looks. But she seemed quite popular. Her work in improving loves if orphans, education for women and her art patronage are all quite respected.

I was trying to say the weren't multiethnic. I was just trying to show (badly) that most people don't know their is diversity in European royal families. The average American probably doesn't know Lichtenstein has a princely family and maybe a small percent know the head, so I don't expect them to know who Princess Angela is. If her father is barely known, then I don't think Lady Davina is common knowledge or the ethnicity of her husband. Yes, Countess Alexandra was known but now most people may not remember her or Prince Joachim as much. So Meghan marrying into the most famous royal family would definitely be seen and could bring attention to those like Prince Felix and Princess Angela showing the diversity of Europe's ruling families.
My point exactly!!![emoji106]

What we do know is that no matter what Meghan's makeup is, he's extremely happy with the whole package. Those little things don't matter and should they decide to marry, they still won't matter and should they have children, it still won't matter. Not one bit. :D

My point exactly!!![emoji106]

When you make the statement 'all people who marry into European monarchies are white' we can be forgiven for believing you are saying exactly that.

Your post didn't mention the public and their lack of knowledge of other families. Simply a blatantly wrong statement royals only marry white people. Which is clearly not true.

How is Meghan going to bring attention to other diversity? If people in America aren't aware of Lichtebstein now they aren't going to know about it from Meghan. Unless one thinks she will seek out and befriend other multi racial royals.

I think we're treading on treacherous ground discussing racial issues whether it be one person or one country or all of Europe. Its a subject our moderators have asked us to steer clear of and we wouldn't want this thread closed down yet again.

I have read on other forums and on social media though that black people living in Britain are quite intrigued that a biracial woman may be entering the senior ranks of the BRF. And that will be a first, in spite of possible remote Portugese ancestors of Queen Charlotte.

I find it amazing that when it all boils down, what we are actually discussing is the level of melanocytes in a person's biological makeup. Known as melanin, we all have it. Some people just have more and some people just have less.

No difference than that some people have the brown eyed gene dominant in their makeup and some have the blue eyed gene dominant. Some even get the genes mixed up and end up with green, violet, hazel and gray eyes.

Silly when you think its really an issue eh? :D

Race is a social construct, but to paraphrase the work of a writer who did some incredible work this week- so are a lot of things. Money is a social construct, but it has real impacts on people's lives. If I declare myself a billionaire tomorrow and tell everyone money is a social construct- well, it's not going to go well for me.

So... in the end, is race a real thing that is useful to categorize people? No. It's based on some really toxic and outdated ideas. Is it a thing that has really impacted people and continues to do so? Absolutely.

For that reason: it will be a very big deal to a lot of little black girls to see a black girl become a princess. To see a black woman become the mother in law of a prince. It would be a beautiful, powerful symbol of moving on from a history that has hurt a lot of people.

It's part of why I hope this works out- because I know how many little girls would find it special to see a girl who looks like them and comes from a family like theirs join the royal family. I get a bit teary eyed when I think about it.

Please get back on topic. The moderating team have requested previously that racial issues not be brought up as it always ends badly.

If you wish to discuss race, do so elsewhere. Further posts on the matter will be removed, and warnings given to members who continually bring off-topic discussions to this thread.

Well, on the positive side, I'm hoping Meghan's and Harry's relationship doesn't end badly. And that Meghan herself will not be constrained from being fully herself should they marry. Hopefully they both will be able to balance respect for royal traditions with thumbing their noses at died-in-the-wool conservative and boring expectations.

For those who may have missed this interesting discussion by Lainey (of Lainey gossip fame) & Duana on their 'Show Your Work' podcast: Show Your Work Podcast

Scroll down to April 10 show: the first half of that podcast episode has a lively discussion about Meghan's and Harry's relationship and speculation surrounding what Meghan closing down her Tig lifestyle blog might mean.

Last edited:
Prince Harry won widespread praise last week by breaking royal protocol to make a series of deeply personal revelations about coping with the death of his mother.

But according to insiders, he may never have spoken out about his mental health if it wasn't for his girlfriend Meghan Markle.

Friends have suggested it was the American actress who urged the royal to speak publicly about his experience of coping with grief at a young age.

Harry, 32, revealed last week that he had sought counselling after two years of 'chaos' following the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in 1997 when he was just 12 years old.

And a royal source has suggested Meghan, 35, is responsible. 'Harry feel for Meghan partly because she's so open, and has that American attitude of saying, "Let's talk about our feelings,"' they told Closer magazine.

'He comes from such a stiff-upper-lip culture, but Meghan helped him open up.'

Meghan's mother Doria Ragland is a yoga therapist, and until recently the actress ran a glossy lifestyle blog called The Tig, packed with 'inspirational' memes and messages of support for her followers.
READ MORE: Meghan Markle helped Prince Harry talk about his emotions | Daily Mail Online

I have nothing against Meghan at all, as you all know! However, Harry sought counselling two years ago, before Meg, and the process undoubtedly gave him techniques about opening up to others. Plus Harry has never been a Royal IMO who has been cautious about showing his feelings. He's always been an open sort of person, too open sometimes no doubt, but I doubt he made that recent podcast at his girlfriend's urging, even though I'm sure she is very supportive of what he's done in Heads Together.

Last edited:
I think that's the gist of it in a nutshell. Meghan probably discussed what Harry was going to do with the interview for Heads Together and he knew she was in his corner supporting him. So was his family.

I seriously think that if Harry hadn't sought counseling when he did, he most likely wouldn't be the free and easy person he is today. He's always been open and sometimes wears his heart on his sleeve and you can tell what he's feeling but the undercurrents of anger seem to have dissipated.

The source is Closer magazine from Australia....which is notorious for creating fake news.

I sure she provided support but this article is pure tabloid fake news.

Closure (the French branch) is also the magazine that Will and Kate sued for publishing the topless photos of Kate sunbathing on private property while staying in France.

I definitely wouldn't take anything from this publication as truth.

I think that's the gist of it in a nutshell. Meghan probably discussed what Harry was going to do with the interview for Heads Together and he knew she was in his corner supporting him. So was his family.

I seriously think that if Harry hadn't sought counseling when he did, he most likely wouldn't be the free and easy person he is today. He's always been open and sometimes wears his heart on his sleeve and you can tell what he's feeling but the undercurrents of anger seem to have dissipated.

Based on previous behavior and what has been said by he and William...I think if he hadn't of gotten help he would have crashed and burned by now.

LaRae

I have to admit that I find myself confounded at the number of posts (now deleted), whose dialogue intimately dissected Meghan's race and possible or probable religion had generated. So very many pages of pontification.

I may be shallow or it could be where I live, but when Harry made his plea to the media to stop invading Meghan and her family's privacy the only thing I thought was wow, Harry has a girlfriend and doing this makes it serious.

I immediately hit the internet in search of any and hopefully all information out there about this strange new creature (and am still learning more). Who was she, where did she came from and the answers were very surprising.

In short, she didn't fit in a box like his two previous 'serious' relationships, but from what I had gleaned, I was impressed:

a. She wasn't a blue-eyed blonde but a brown-eyed brunette which, in itself, was somewhat surprising.

b. She was an American actress and also a divorce. Oh no, I thought, parallels will be drawn with Wallis Simpson.

c. She is a well-educated woman with a double major in theatre and international relations. Even more interesting, she has a job or, more correctly, she is an actress with a career. Has Harry ever dated a woman with an actual normal, if not demanding, job let alone a career?

d. She is a self-confessed feminist who puts her time and energy into humanitarian pursuits while maintaining her own blog and also an occasional model.

So okay, this woman is obviously not a lightweight. I mean, he sort of grew up with Chelsey and she wasn't brainless, just young. And I still don't know what Cressida was all about, she who in her 20's, aspired to be a dancer (she was a decade too late for that career). There never seemed to be any chemistry or even romance between them, but it sure brought her publicity.

So now we have Meghan, an American divorcee who is a career actress and a self-proclaimed feminist, all positive negatives in a candidate for Harry's wife. More importantly, it seemed she wasn't one to let the grass grow under her feet or to waste a good education, being employed in one area of her educational interest and actively pursuing humanitarian work.

She worked for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and as a UN Women's advocate for political participation and leadership, was invited to give a speech at the UN for International Women's Day where Ban Ki-Moon stood up and shook her hand afterwards.

She was also a Counsellor for international charity 'One Young World', speaking at the annual summit in Dublin on the topics of gender equality and modern-day slavery in 2014. She also attended the Ottawa summit2016. In 2016 she was also appointed a Global Ambassador for World Vision Canada.

Not only did she sound interesting and she must also be blessed with an abundance of energy to live the way she did and does, in fact, 'The Aesthete' called her a polymath! It seems she also has a hefty dose of psychological altruism. My first thought was, "where does she find time to fit a boyfriend in?" - Harry was dating superwoman!

All of which begs the question, when does she find time to have a romantic relationship with Harry?

Just proves one doesn't have to wait around for years to be available any time the prince calls. She balances a romance like the majority of women out there who have jobs, hobbies, friends and interests outside their boyfriend. Not all women are fortunate to have months off from from filming schedule either. The idea being a royal girlfriend has to be ones job is sorely out dated.

Well, on the positive side, I'm hoping Meghan's and Harry's relationship doesn't end badly. And that Meghan herself will not be constrained from being fully herself should they marry. Hopefully they both will be able to balance respect for royal traditions with thumbing their noses at died-in-the-wool conservative and boring expectations.

Agree on both counts. :cool:

For those who may have missed this interesting discussion by Lainey (of Lainey gossip fame) & Duana on their 'Show Your Work' podcast: Show Your Work Podcast

Scroll down to April 10 show: the first half of that podcast episode has a lively discussion about Meghan's and Harry's relationship and speculation surrounding what Meghan closing down her Tig lifestyle blog might mean.

Thank you so much for the link, MaiaMia. :flowers: What a fun conversation! Their analysis is pretty on-point in my view.

All of which begs the question, when does she find time to have a romantic relationship with Harry?

The distance probably actually helps in a lot of ways.

When he was with Chelsy and Cressida there was definitely an appearance of them being women who didn't have much going on, enabling them to be with Harry whenever it was that he was free - his schedule, between his time in the military and his various royal/family obligations, made scheduling difficult, so his girlfriend and to be available whenever - your standard job makes that difficult.

We saw this a lot too with Kate - she had a part time job for about a year, then worked with her family's business, both which enabled her to work her schedule around William's availability.

With Meghan, though, because she's based out of the UK, she's not set working around Harry - if she's in Toronto and he's in London then her day is going to largely be about her, not about her boyfriend. Things'll likely be dropped when he makes a trip out to see her, or if she's able to make a trip to see him, but day-to-day... it's a bit different.

I would add too that her accomplishments, which are definitely notable, don't necessarily add up to a hugely busy life. Suits isn't a typical 9 to 5, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year with 2 weeks of vacation type of job - she works for a couple months filming half a season, then has a few months off, before filming the next half a season for a couple months. That leaves a fair bit of time for other projects - unlike many other actors, she has used that time more for humanitarian work than other acting work.

One thing we know and that is that neither Harry or Meghan have based their world around the other. They both have commitments. They both have their own humanitarian interests. They both have to find time for each other. They're meeting on equal ground.

These are reasons I think a royal marriage would work. Should Harry be occupied with something like a two week tour of somewhere in the world, Meghan wouldn't be the type that sits home just waiting for her man to come home. She's more likely to throw herself into her own causes and find things to occupy herself while Harry was gone. They wouldn't have to be in each other's back pocket all the time. Most importantly, I get the feeling that these two will form a formidable team and work very well together and also with the "Firm". She has the chutzpah and the stamina to go the long road and if and when they do marry, it will be a marriage they went into maturely with a lot of thought and a lot of planning and they'll know what they expect from each other as well as what to expect with being a royal couple.

In other words, I think Harry just may have found his "Kate". :D

Since they don't live on the same continent and only spend bits of time together when she's free, its a long distance relationship..and their marriage if they get married, will have to be very different. So will Meghan adjust? Wil she be bored stiff cutting ribbons and being secondary to Harry as she will have to be? will She adjust to the formalty of life in the UK and the RF.
Will she and Harry find married life a very different proposition from the excitement of meeting up when tey have time and can get together, and things being all new and fun and passionate...

As for her being "superwoman" it seems to me that most actresses nowadays do this sort of "humanitarian" stuff, to some extent. how serious they are about it, is up to them.. I'm sure some are very genuine and want to help the less fortunate and others its for PR.
and while I've never taken much interest In Harry in younger days, I thoguth that his girlfriend Chelsey was a lawyer so she's hardly a sociilate idler...

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people focus on the negative aspects of why the marriage wouldn't work and the other half of the people focus on the positive aspects of why the marriage would work. Both are valid and both are legitimate concerns and the only way to actually find out the answers is to wait and see if it happens and how they adjust to married life and the royal fishbowl.

I don't think any one of us go into a relationship or a marriage with a sure fire guarantee that it'll work 100% of the time. The marriage itself doesn't come with a day by day "how to" book. Its a journey and an adventure and we take it as it comes. Meghan and Harry are no different in this respect.

We come up with different ideas and opinions as we endure the hardest part of the whole deal which is "wait and see". :D

I'm just waiting to see what this new year will bring for this couple.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people focus on the negative aspects of why the marriage wouldn't work and the other half of the people focus on the positive aspects of why the marriage would work. The marriage itself doesn't come with a day by day "how to" book. Its a journey and an adventure and we take it as it comes. Meghan and Harry are no different in this respect.

We come up with different ideas and opinions as we endure the hardest part of the whole deal which is "wait and see". :D
no but the RF wants Harry to make a marriage that lasts. Which is why the queen seems to have advised her grandchildren to give any relationship a few years, and to live together. Kate and Will were a couple for several years, before they took the plunge. harry has been with Meghan for about a year, I gather and tis all been long distance. So I don't think its a very fair trial for married life. But given that she DOES have a career that's based very far from the UK, for her to move in with H here, would be very much like making a commitment. So it is awkward for them to get a chance to try out how they get alogn on a day to day basis, without setting off media frenzy as in "Harry's American girl living in Buck Palace"...

no but the RF wants Harry to make a marriage that lasts. Which is why the queen seems to have advised her grandchildren to give any relationship a few years, and to live together. Kate and Will were a couple for several years, before they took the plunge. harry has been with Meghan for about a year, I gather and tis all been long distance. So I don't think its a very fair trial for married life. But given that she DOES have a career that's based very far from the UK, for her to move in with H here, would be very much like making a commitment. So it is awkward for them to get a chance to try out how they get alogn on a day to day basis, without setting off media frenzy as in "Harry's American girl living in Buck Palace"...

Age makes the difference for Harry and Meghan's case.

and while I've never taken much interest In Harry in younger days, I thoguth that his girlfriend Chelsey was a lawyer so she's hardly a sociilate idler...
Chelsey trained to be a lawyer. She took a position w/ a firm that allowed her a year off before she started. She then worked as a lawyer for a short while & seems to have decided not to pursue that career. Getting through law school is hard but mentally challenging, actually working as a lawyer takes a lot of hard boring work, and is more of a grind, it's not for everyone, she was wise to recognize it wasn't the career for her early on & lucky enough to have the resources to do other things.

Age makes the difference for Harry and Meghan's case.

Agreed. We also don't know that's they're going to marry tomorrow. They may wait until her commitments at Suits is over and then move in together at Nott Cott and remain that way for quite a while before announcing an engagement. These are two people that are tackling things from all angles and in a mature way which takes a lot of compromising. Sometimes compromising and thinking of the other person first is a far harder thing to do than to deal with dirty towels on the floor and fighting over which side of the bed a person gets.

Sometimes the obstacles that are facing Harry and Meghan right now are the true test of a relationship more than living together would provide.

If they marry...they will do so within the next year (I am guessing spring early summer of 2018). Due to their ages they aren't going to have a long relationship/engagement.

If they are still together end of this summer...I expect an engagement (announcement, no telling what they will have done privately) by winter or early next year. Whenever her show is done filming etc. I don't expect her to return to the show.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom