Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it was a very interesting and fun article.:) Prom Queens are so much part of the US high school scene, and it's good that Meghan participated, enjoyed herself, dated and did some drama at her school.

Valentine's Day is not celebrated in Britain is it?

I wonder what he got Meghan?

I am also curious about Harry's reaction or what it will be to American holidays like Thanksgiving? We don't eat the healthiest things on that day. But it is so good!! If they marry or get engaged, they'll probably fly to the US for that since it's not celebrated in the UK.

What Meghan should do is take Harry to Georgia and Tennessee where her mother is from and let him experience the south its food, and the accents! HAHAHA!! It will be major culture shock I'm sure.

I don't think it would be a shock he has been around.

When it comes to holidays, if and when Harry and Meghan marry, its possible that they'll start their own traditions with possibly celebrating the American Thanksgiving at home with a nice, fat turkey. To me, any little old thing is a grand excuse to make a nice, fat turkey. Living in Canada, Meghan probably is already familiar with Boxing Day. I'm sure the couple will fly to the US to celebrate certain holidays with her mother and/or her father but I do think they'll make Christmas at Balmoral as much as they can. I think also that it would be probably easier for them to fly her parents over to the UK at times too. With Meghan living permanently in the UK, I would bet my last red licorice bit that Meghan would adapt to British holidays rather than Harry adapt to US holidays.

One holiday I bet they'd really be looking forward to celebrating is Mothering Sunday though. It would mean that they have a family. :D

If they got engaged this is one royal wedding I would not watch. Run, Harry, run. I am entitled to my own opinion. She is too Hollywood and too common. I think her family would NEVER maintain the class and dignity as the Duchess of Cambridge's family has.

Well to each their own. Your extremely negative view of Prince Harry and Meghan's relationship is unfortunate, but while you're on one end of extreme opinion, I'm on the other. I plan to schedule my annual visit to London to coordinate with their wedding as I want to be a proud Anglophile American joining in on the festivities. I was 14 when Prince Charles married Diana, watched it on TV; I took the day off from work to watch William marry Kate; and I will be in London to celebrate the possible marriage between Harry and Meghan.

:britflag::usaflag::wave:

If they got engaged this is one royal wedding I would not watch. Run, Harry, run. I am entitled to my own opinion. She is too Hollywood and too common. I think her family would NEVER maintain the class and dignity as the Duchess of Cambridge's family has.

Last edited:
Is Harry attracting better women though? It's not like Harry is pursuing nicer women who actually have something other than Hollywood hype. He's hanging around the idle jet set types and basically not making much of himself in his spare time. So really, why on earth should anyone really look down on someone who is supposedly inferior to Harry, when Harry has made it clear through his actions that this is the kind of woman he prefers?

Her family doesn't really matter. Harry is 5th in-line and will only move further.
Did the families of Tony, Sarah, Mark, Tim and Sophie have any bearing on the monarchy? 15 years from now the media won't care about Meghan, let alone her family.

The only people who will be affected by the Markles are Harry stans. They'll read the tabloid gossip and read the family interviews and they'll get themselves into a tizzy.

Last edited:
When it comes to holidays, if and when Harry and Meghan marry, its possible that they'll start their own traditions with possibly celebrating the American Thanksgiving at home with a nice, fat turkey. To me, any little old thing is a grand excuse to make a nice, fat turkey. Living in Canada, Meghan probably is already familiar with Boxing Day. I'm sure the couple will fly to the US to celebrate certain holidays with her mother and/or her father but I do think they'll make Christmas at Balmoral as much as they can. I think also that it would be probably easier for them to fly her parents over to the UK at times too. With Meghan living permanently in the UK, I would bet my last red licorice bit that Meghan would adapt to British holidays rather than Harry adapt to US holidays.

One holiday I bet they'd really be looking forward to celebrating is Mothering Sunday though. It would mean that they have a family. :D

There are some holidays that we celebrate that the British do not I'm sure. And, yes, Meghan will settle in the UK but she'll go home to visit her family and friends. Meghan marrying Harry doesn't change who she is now. She is an American born and raised in the US.

Mrs. Markle may say to Harry and Meghan a few times, "No, you two come to me." And she needs to come home as often as possible too. She should not loose herself.

Last edited:
Well to each their own. Your extremely negative view of Prince Harry and Meghan's relationship is unfortunate, but while you're on one end of extreme opinion, I'm on the other. I plan to schedule my annual visit to London to coordinate with their wedding as I want to be a proud Anglophile American joining in on the festivities. I was 14 when Prince Charles married Diana, watched it on TV; I took the day off from work to watch William marry Kate; and I will be in London to celebrate the possible marriage between Harry and Meghan.

I was 10 when he married Diana. WOW! Go figure!! I was watching it too.:)

In the UK we have the full turkey dinner - at Christmas. I would find it really odd to have a big slap-up turkey lunch in November and then another the following month. It seems really weird to me to have a big family get together holiday so close to Christmas and Boxing Day.

I would presume that Meghan would have to give up her US citizenship were she to marry Harry. If for no other reason that the US tax laws which require US citizens living abroad to pay taxes in the US on overseas income. For example, our Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson gave up his US citizenship last year because, having not lived in the US since he was 5 years old, he had to pay $50k tax to the US government when he sold his house in the UK.

Would Meghan have to pay tax to the US govt. on funds the Prince of Wales might give her for undertaking royal engagements?

Of course, renouncing her US citizenship wouldn't mean she can't partake of American customs.

There are some holidays that we celebrate that the British do not I'm sure. And, yes, Meghan will settle in the UK but she'll go home to visit her family and friends. Meghan marrying Harry doesn't change who she is now. She is an American born and raised in the US.

Mrs. Markle may say to Harry and Meghan a few times, "No, you two come to me." And she needs to come home as often as possible too. She should not loose herself.

If Meghan goes to visit more than about twice a year, she will soon get the "Airmiles Meg" treatment. Especially if in addition , the couple continues to follow their passion of traveling and foreign holidays. The press are nicer to Harry because he is a man and their 'lovable scamp', but a globetrotting Meghan would get the Beatrice narrative.

Meghan once talked about how her passport is one of her most important possessions because she is constantly traveling and exploring. That wouldn't be able to continue post-marriage, or she would be an easy bullseye.

Perhaps some posters could have been a bit nicer to each other here.

If Meghan goes to visit more than about twice a year, she will soon get the "Airmiles Meg" treatment. Especially if in addition , the couple continues to follow their passion of traveling and foreign holidays. The press are nicer to Harry because he is a man and their 'lovable scamp', but a globetrotting Meghan would get the Beatrice narrative.

Meghan once talked about how her passport is one of her most important possessions because she is constantly traveling and exploring. That wouldn't be able to continue post-marriage, or she would be an easy bullseye.
That will probably change when William/Kate become (so-called) full-time royals.

And not to offend the Harry fans, but the press has treated him with kid gloves for three years now, while William has been treated like crap.

In the UK we have the full turkey dinner - at Christmas. I would find it really odd to have a big slap-up turkey lunch in November and then another the following month. It seems really weird to me to have a big family get together holiday so close to Christmas and Boxing Day.

I would presume that Meghan would have to give up her US citizenship were she to marry Harry. If for no other reason that the US tax laws which require US citizens living abroad to pay taxes in the US on overseas income. For example, our Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson gave up his US citizenship last year because, having not lived in the US since he was 5 years old, he had to pay $50k tax to the US government when he sold his house in the UK.

Would Meghan have to pay tax to the US govt. on funds the Prince of Wales might give her for undertaking royal engagements?

Of course, renouncing her US citizenship wouldn't mean she can't partake of American customs.

On American Thanksgiving, I think the "good" thing about having a big family holiday so close to Christmas is that it gives you a chance to do a big shin-dig with one side of the family at Thanksgiving and a big shin-dig with the other side of the family at Christmas. I could actually see Meghan and Harry taking advantage of that; do Thanksgiving with her family, then Christmas with the BRF.

She would very likely give up her US citizenship to marry into the family, just because it would be easier in the long run and has good symbolism (she ceases to be a foreigner if she gives up her foreign citizenship). But I don't think taxes would be an issue... your father-in-law paying your way from his income probably doesn't count as income according to the IRS. I don't think it's so much that Charles goes "okay, you do this engagement and I'll give you £1,000, you do this engagement and I'll give you £2,000". Rather I think it's more "here's some cash for groceries, and if you do this engagement you're going to need £1,000 for expenses related to it."

There's definitely some taxable income - through investments - but not an actual salary.

This would really have to depend on how Meghan and Harry handled it. Harry's travels are typically spun as being work based somehow; he has his vacations, yes, but he also does a lot of charity based traveling. I think what distinguishes him from Beatrice and Eugenie is first when he's traveling for a charity he's fairly good about keeping what he did before/after private - Beatrice's 'work' type travel gets reported as a holiday because she's photographed out on the town after her engagements - and second because he gets acknowledgement in the CC for his work. If Harry goes to New York, meets with the UN, then goes out for dinner, he's getting CC recognition for the meeting with the UN which makes it harder for the press to completely ignore it, especially if he manages to avoid being photographed afterwards.

Meghan will have plenty of opportunity for travel if she marries Harry, she'll just have to be smart about tying it into royal work; she'll have to be careful to not have too many straight up holidays and to find ways to travel that are related to either charitable work or supporting the British government.

Your plan to celebrate in London sounds lovely! Right now, my guess is that we'll have to wait awhile to hear about a possible wedding between Harry and Meghan, but I will definitely be watching for any events if one does occur.

Your plan to celebrate in London sounds lovely! Right now, my guess is that we'll have to wait awhile to hear about a possible wedding between Harry and Meghan, but I will definitely be watching for any events if one does occur.

Thanks! It's all a pipedream at that moment until everything is made official, which may or may not even happen. Since I was in London last June, I was thinking of visiting this coming October to spend time with my friend. But if an engagement happens, I'll put that October visit on hold and plan to visit during the wedding event.

My British bff and I have already discussed having tea at the B Bakery in Covent Garden to 'celebrate'. So if this comes to plan, it would be nice to coordinate this 'tea party' with a few other like minded nice ladies on this forum. :D

Perhaps some posters could have been a bit nicer to each other here.

That will probably change when William/Kate become (so-called) full-time royals.

And not to offend the Harry fans, but the press has treated him with kid gloves for three years now, while William has been treated like crap.

The press are nice to Harry because his playboy, wild child antics have largely stopped and he's shown himself to be a charismatic and engaging man.

The press is less nice to the Cambridges because for better or worse they deliberately keep the press at arm's length. They are very careful about keeping their private lives private and do so in a way that upsets the press.

The press is going to continue to have issue with Cambridges so long as they remain protective of their privacy and so long as they remain dismissive of the press' role. They'll also continue to go "easy" on Harry so long as he is 'behaving" (so to speak), while also not playing the same game with the press that the Cambridges play. William and Kate could go full time and the problem they have with the press will persist. And, really, Harry's only going to avoid the same problem until he has children; let's be realistic, Harry will be as protective of his family as William is.

I actually think Meghan as a future royal might be able to help Harry avoid that. William's attitude toward the press is very reasonable given his experiences with the press, and Kate had no experience with it prior to her relationship with William. Meghan, however, has her own relationship with the press that might change how she and Harry deal with the press if/when they become parents.

I'm guessing the press is thrilled about those new hedges <G>

LaRae

Please note that several argumentative posts have been deleted. Please be respectful towards one anothers' opinions and remain on topic.

Last edited:
The press are nice to Harry because his playboy, wild child antics have largely stopped and he's shown himself to be a charismatic and engaging man.

The press is less nice to the Cambridges because for better or worse they deliberately keep the press at arm's length. They are very careful about keeping their private lives private and do so in a way that upsets the press.

The press is going to continue to have issue with Cambridges so long as they remain protective of their privacy and so long as they remain dismissive of the press' role. They'll also continue to go "easy" on Harry so long as he is 'behaving" (so to speak), while also not playing the same game with the press that the Cambridges play. William and Kate could go full time and the problem they have with the press will persist. And, really, Harry's only going to avoid the same problem until he has children; let's be realistic, Harry will be as protective of his family as William is.

I actually think Meghan as a future royal might be able to help Harry avoid that. William's attitude toward the press is very reasonable given his experiences with the press, and Kate had no experience with it prior to her relationship with William. Meghan, however, has her own relationship with the press that might change how she and Harry deal with the press if/when they become parents.

Meghan's relationship with the press is like any other celebrity. It's glib and superficial. Any press is good press.

With the royals its different. They aren't celebrities, they serve the country.

So just because Meghan can strut and pose on a red carpet or emote to Access Hollywood doesn't mean she will make a good royal.

Last edited:
:previous: No, it doesn't. However it does help when making speeches. No stuttering in the middle, constantly looking down at notes or looking or sounding strained so that listening becomes a hardship. It would help when meeting members of the public. Being natural with others, not being wooden and not knowing what to say.

Projecting warmth towards others comes with the craft, as does making easy smalltalk. Actors are used to being photographed and filmed, and no multiple takes when being interviewed. Carrying things off at public engagements when you yourself feel tired, grumpy and have a headache.

There are in fact several skills that those in the acting profession possess that would be excellent preparation for being a Royal.

:previous: No, it doesn't. However it does help when making speeches. No stuttering in the middle, constantly looking down at notes or looking or sounding strained so that listening becomes a hardship. It would help when meeting members of the public. Being natural with others, not being wooden and not knowing what to say.

Projecting warmth towards others comes with the craft, as does making easy smalltalk. Actors are used to being photographed and filmed, and no multiple takes when being interviewed. Carrying things off at public engagements when you yourself feel tired, grumpy and have a headache.

There are in fact several skills that those in the acting profession possess that would be excellent preparation for being a Royal.

No one in the BRF is an actor and they all seem to manage. Just because Meghan is superficial and glib doesn't mean she will connect with the British public.

No she would not have to give up her US citizenship I know that for a fact. And your last statement is incorrect as well.

No one in the BRF is an actor and they all seem to manage. Just because Meghan is superficial and glib doesn't mean she will connect with the British public.

Well, some 'manage' better than others. And the skills I mentioned will help in public life if Meghan marries into the BRF.

I just read some the last few posts. You all actually expect Meghan to give up her home country and family totally and her customs? Not going to happen and she'll still marry Harry and live in the UK.

Harry would not let her do that and he would not want that for her. You all need to think! Meghan has a mother and a father whom are Americans and whom live in the US. And I highly doubt either one are moving to the UK.

Last edited:

Yes because being an actress means you are superficial. :bang:

Compare Kate and her early speeches and appearances. She was always fumbling with her hair, looking down at her notes, stumbling. You would think in the eight years she made herself available, she could have taken a public speaking class.

Then look at Meghan. Watch her UN speech. Or world vision interviews. There is nothing fake or plastic. Nothing superficial. Her UN yes she has notes but she isn't looking didn't all the time. She isn't nervously playing with her hair. She is direct and making eye contact. And you can tell she wrote her speech, not done press secratary. And her world vision interviews are not rehearsed, they are natural and you see her comfort with kids.

Yes Kate has grown into her roll. But Meghan is by and far more prepared for the position then Kate was. She don't need five years to grow into it.

It's the benefit of being your own woman. Not spending almost a decade being available. She has th confidence and the strength that comes from building your own life. She has causes she us already passionate about and can use to shape a future royal life. She don't require a year of marriage to choose patronages.

Princess Grace was an actress and managed to marry into a royal family (if you consider the Monegasque royals 'royal'). But she had a hard time adjusting, from what I've read.

I think the biggest problem I would foresee for Meghan and Harry, though, is that both of them seem like free spirits. They're both outgoing people who like to have fun and travel. I'm sure they would like to settle down and start a family, but I wonder who would hold the relationship together? For example, Prince Philip is an adventurous and outgoing man like Harry, while the Queen has always been the dutiful, more reserved one. On the other hand, Harry and Meghan are more similar in personality. The royal family has had problems before when independent-minded women married into the royal family...partly because the husbands were unsupportive (Charles) or absent for a long time (Andrew). I'm sure Harry would support Meghan, but I feel like he also has a tendency to go off and do his own thing just like Prince Philip does. The Queen puts up with that, but Meghan is a very different person. I feel like Harry and Meghan could end up having very different interests and pursuits and drift apart instead of making a good team.

I just read some the last few posts. You all actually expect Meghan to give up her home country and family totally and her customs? Not going to happen and she'll still marry Harry and live in the UK.

Harry would not let her do that and he would not want that for her. You all need to think! Meghan and a mother and a father whom are Americans and whom live in the US. And I highly doubt either one are moving to the UK.

It isn't what the posters want, it is what happens in the royal family and what has happened to all royal wives before Meghan. They become princesses first and must put their private identities second. Being a princess isn't just about meeting new people and trying out new fashions - it's about being a representative of the UK. Some women haven't been able to adapt to that role (Sarah and Diana come to mind - they wanted their own identities. They were only able to achieve that outside of the royal family).

Yes because being an actress means you are superficial. :bang:

Compare Kate and her early speeches and appearances. She was always fumbling with her hair, looking down at her notes, stumbling. You would think in the eight years she made herself available, she could have taken a public speaking class.

Then look at Meghan. Watch her UN speech. Or world vision interviews. There is nothing fake or plastic. Nothing superficial. Her UN yes she has notes but she isn't looking didn't all the time. She isn't nervously playing with her hair. She is direct and making eye contact. And you can tell she wrote her speech, not done press secratary. And her world vision interviews are not rehearsed, they are natural and you see her comfort with kids.

Yes Kate has grown into her roll. But Meghan is by and far more prepared for the position then Kate was. She don't need five years to grow into it.

It's the benefit of being your own woman. Not spending almost a decade being available. She has th confidence and the strength that comes from building your own life. She has causes she us already passionate about and can use to shape a future royal life. She don't require a year of marriage to choose patronages.

Goodness how has the royals managed all these hundreds of years without a Actor ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom