Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - I admit to being offended. As I am American and older than anyone unwed in the BRF, no one would ask me for my hand. So I don't matter. :cool:

But I will comment. I would NEVER marry for the jewels or the clothes. I'd marry for LOVE. Even knowing that my risk is 50:50 to end in divorce.

I could never tolerate a relationship bound only by the baubles I could wear. I'd have to care deeply about my spouse and their values and mission. I have to respect the man with whom I share my life. JMO

Wallis and I share little beyond a sharp mind.

I'm with you! But different times.

Lets just leave them alone. Find their way, or not.

Meghan being a Catholic, practicing or otherwise (no idea if she is or isn't!) is neither here nor there as that ban was voided along with the rule on male gender succession over female a few years back.

Meghan being Catholic can still face some issues.

First, while Harry can marry a Catholic without her converting and retain his place in the succession, as 5th in the line of succession, he can't marry without his grandmother's permission and retain his place in the succession. The Queen might not be jumping at the chance to approve of her grandson marrying a Catholic woman who isn't converting.

Second, there is pressure within the Catholic Church that children born from mixed marriages be raised Catholic. If Meghan's faith is important to her or her family, this may be an issue.

Third, if Harry's children are raised Catholic, this bars them from being in the succession. Likewise if Harry himself converts he loses his place in the succession.

:previous:
The succession line is secure. There are more than enough people in it. So Prince Henry can lose his place.

I think soon they will be engaged. I feel that Harry is very much in love with her, the way he is protecting her proves that the story is serious. And they are already at a mature age, there is no reason to wait too long.

:previous: Can't say I disagree. It is a drastic step to send out a message like that. To my knowledge, something that official never happened with his previous girlfriends.

The BRF are not frozen in time - they have changed through the years & IMO Harry's statement is no more than an evolution of the BRF's approach to dealing with the press.
Catherine & her family were & still are subjected to intense media scrutiny and class driven vitriol. Yet William didn't lose her because of it. Moreover both she and William are very reserved and cautious, thus their style is to not react except in flagrant cases (eg: France.)
Harry, on the other hand has spoken about how awful it can be to date him because of the press. W/ both Chelsey and Cressida there were reports that the press circus that came with dating Harry was part of the reason the relationships ended. Harry leads with his heart and can be impulsive (like his mother) and he shoots from the hip (like his grandfather Phillip.) Thus I'm not surprised that when the reporter/photographer was caught breaking into his GF's garage, when her mother was subjected to the press frenzy when she tried to go to work, etc., he reacted.
Several years ago there was a case in my town that generated a media frenzy - so I saw first hand the huge press pack in action - those people are ruthless, worse than the most high pressure sales pitch you've ever been subjected to, they are like sharks attacking when they scent blood.
Harry's mistake is that he believes the press as it currently exists has any moral compass, IMO they care for nothing except their next scoop & paycheck.

I think soon they will be engaged. I feel that Harry is very much in love with her, the way he is protecting her proves that the story is serious. And they are already at a mature age, there is no reason to wait too long.

From your mouth to God's ears. I do hope that this relationship will lead to a wedding. I believe that if a royal prince were to marry a mixed raced girl, it would do a lot to advance racial relations. After all, if the pinnacle of society [that is to say royalty] marries someone who is mixed race, society in general may be more willing to open doors. Also, as an American, I'm proud of Meghan, a fellow American, marrying into royalty. She's a beautiful lady every bit as impressive as Kate. I think that Harry and Meghan would have beautiful babies. Red hair seems to be pretty dominant, so I bet that the babies would be red haired too. Also, as someone who is involved in charities and is used to doing public appearances, her transition to royalty wouldn't be that difficult.

Why no backlash on harry himself

Comment from another forum and i so agree with this. Why is the media not saying anything about this. Why is the media not saying anything about the cost of protection officers who are needed as he is traveling the world when william gets grief over every little thing:ermm::ermm:

I have often wondered how much of what Harry says is just parroting what his advisors tell him to say as opposed to what he really believes. I re-visited his New Zealand interview where he spoke about getting a job after leaving the army and I am struck again by how appropriate his remarks were - I was very impressed at the time. He say " I hope the British people will trust me to make the right decision". Well they trusted him and he made the wrong decision. He goes on to say how important it is to have a job - that earning a wage keeps him in touch with average British people, keeps you sane and keeps you ticking along. He says "if you want to make a big or valid contribution, if you want to be taken seriously than you must work alongside other people". He repeats that people should trust him and he'll make them proud. And he was right in those remarks - dead right. But then he went on to refuse the jobs his family offered him and spending over a year being an unemployed playboy.

The much of the criticism of Megan is very racist. I don't think that many people in the United States or the UK expected Prince Harry's next girlfriend to be a black woman. I applaud him for standing up for her. I don't think this will lead to a marriage but hopefully they will always be close friends

Comment from another forum and i so agree with this. Why is the media not saying anything about this. Why is the media not saying anything about the cost of protection officers who are needed as he is traveling the world when william gets grief over every little thing:ermm::ermm:

I have often wondered how much of what Harry says is just parroting what his advisors tell him to say as opposed to what he really believes. I re-visited his New Zealand interview where he spoke about getting a job after leaving the army and I am struck again by how appropriate his remarks were - I was very impressed at the time. He say " I hope the British people will trust me to make the right decision". Well they trusted him and he made the wrong decision. He goes on to say how important it is to have a job - that earning a wage keeps him in touch with average British people, keeps you sane and keeps you ticking along. He says "if you want to make a big or valid contribution, if you want to be taken seriously than you must work alongside other people". He repeats that people should trust him and he'll make them proud. And he was right in those remarks - dead right. But then he went on to refuse the jobs his family offered him and spending over a year being an unemployed playboy.

Richard Palmer called him an 'unemployed' 32 year old on Twitter today. So there are some cracks in the armour. Normally Harry is the golden boy.

Harry has always received a ton of criticism, some of it justified, some not. He certainly hasn't escaped unscathed though the years since his teens, even in circumstances where he didn't deserve it. However, I am glad he stood up for his girlfriend in the face of some very nasty and racist comments.

I think much of the reaction we have seen in the media and elsewhere is because it is a sudden change in Harry's status. He has had his girlfriends over the years, there has always been speculation about them and him, but now - out of the blue - we have something more official.

The wording in the statement is strong and clearly shows a certain amount of anger. It is also rather differently worded than one might expect from an official communication from the Palace.

What intrigues me is the fact that the relationship has, by all accounts, only being going on for a few months and it seems unusual for a statement like this to be issued in regard to "just" a girlfriend. It points to how much Harry must feel about Meghan and how much confidence he has in her as someone long term in his life.

I hope the dust settles quickly for both their sakes.

It's far too early to think about whether or not they will get married, but I personally see no issues whatsoever concerning her suitability to becoming his wife.

I think one factor that's maybe not obvious in the question of press intrusion on Meghan in particular is that she's been living in Toronto and got famous while doing so.

I see a lot of "well, she's a celebrity, what does she expect, she has to be used to it, etc"

It's maybe not obvious to anyone who's not familiar with the Toronto scene, but it's.. incredibly low key about celebrities. I've been in bars/restaurants when people walk in who're recognized by every single person in the place. The reaction is, pretty much always, that everyone else tries to out-chill each other in pretending not to recognize the star in question. And it's not just TV -- a friend of mine had the same experience when Mike Myers walked in at the height of Austen Powers box office.

The media is also, from what I can tell, pretty respectful and chill too. (In fact, I've been watching the Toronto Star coverage and it's been a fraction of the UK/US.)

Meghan actually described exactly what it's like for her to live there, more than a year ago: Meghan Markle on her 'normal life' in Toronto before Prince Harry relationship

So that's "what she's used to". I'm certain that this level of attention is a whole new ball game.

Thanks for this & that's exactly how things are in Toronto. I forget the movie he was shooting at the time, but Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman were in Toronto w/their 2 kids for about 2 or 3 months back during the height of being the "Most Famous & Powerful Couple in Hollywood". I remember Tom being interviewed briefly during a Leafs game on Hockey Night in Canada & he said that was the best part of the entire time in Toronto. Yes, people would perk up on seeing him, Nicole or the both of them out w/the kids, but after that...No big deal. The 1 thing that stuck in my mind was Tom saying it was so lovely to be able to take the kids to the park, still be recognized by someone, but after that happening being left alone. He also said that would never happen back home & they'd be pestered constantly.

It's very different up here/Toronto &, for the most part, there's still that realization & respect that if they're not working/out living their lives, then they are left alone to live that life.

Today's announcement has me rooting hard for Harry and Meghan because if he didn't care about her well being very much, that statement wouldn't have happened. He also wouldn't have officially confirmed her as his girlfriend (and subjected her to all that goes along with that) if it weren't serious.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this relationship progress on an accelerated time line. And good for them- I hope for their happiness

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think the reason for the Statement was for 1 reason & 1 reason only, & I HATE saying this too, that Megan is the Daughter of an African American Parent. I also hate saying this, but considering the current climate in the US regarding Race Relations, this puts an entirely different set of problems for Megan, Harry & her Family to face & deal w/. The Attempted Garage Break In has been called an attempt by Paparazzi to break in, which I'm not doubting knowing them, but it could just as easily been someone from a certain group of letters breaking in to do more than steal a story.

Remember too when Will & Kate were dating, for the most part, Social Media really hadn't taken off yet. It was only the last 2 yrs leading into their Engagement, IIRC that is, that Twitter & Facebook really started to change how things in the news & events were covered.

You thought what the Middletons went through, & still do, for being self made Millionaires was bad? Well tighten your seat belts because I have a feeling what's about to happen regarding Megan's Family, will make what the Middletons went through, look like a ride on a Merry Go Round in comparison sadly.

I wish Harry & Megan all the luck in the World & I sincerely hope they are able to get that needed time to see if it really will work or not.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I really hope they will not marry soon, they ahve meet in May...so marry now? just a few months later after they meet?no...please no...they sould have a relantion first, they should know if they can get along with all of Harry's royal life and engagements and also will Meghan lose her life in the US?Will Meghan say no to her actress carrer???:ohmy:

Something I don't understand is this : why are people talking ofracism ?

Then why not call him out on it, being an unemployed 32 old? Meghan is a very much working person, she's highly educated, and does a lot of humanitarian work. All this criticism is on her, not him.

That cartoon comes across misogynist and just simply not true. Her posting two bananas cuddling on her IG doesn't make her an attention seeker. The media got a bit backlash with Harry's statement, now they're going after Meghan from every direction they can to excuse the vile way they've already gone after her.

*I'm a new poster here, I just had to jump right into the convo after I saw that cartoon.

Wow.. that cartoon is something else.

The DM is pulling a complete Alfred E. Neuman with their "What, me sexist?" while simultaneously publishing that charming bit of character assassination.

I wish them well but I don't see a woman like Meghan trapped in such an ancient institution for the next 40 years. It might be fun in the beginning, but, and Grace Kelly would probably agree, it won't last.

Katie Hopkins puts it to the point:
KATIE HOPKINS: Calm down Harry, everyone's delighted for you and Meghan Markle | Daily Mail Online

Grace Kelly were other times. Meghan is a leonine, that means a strong, confident, determined woman who loves challenges. I think it might very right.

And who can predict what will happen in the next 40 years? Maybe neither Will and Kate will be together in 40 years

The backlash over Harry standing up for the privacy and safety for his girlfriend is beyond dumb. Also, of course the British press will get upset over Harry bringing up race. They want to include all the racial undertones in their articles and reporting all they want and don't want anyone to have a problem with it.

As for her social media presence, it's pretty clearly curated to give a very specific view into her private life. Which means it's not really her private life, it's the portion of her private life she's willing to show.

I doubt the press will make any difference about portions of private life that Meghan wants or doesnt want to show.

To Dman - what is dumb about a backlash on Harry? For me it was a turning point when he left the military and became an expensive tourist/playboy.

Regarding Meghan, I have no problem with her as Harry's girlfriend at all and the racist abuse against her is horrible, what doesn't work for her or any other celebrity is that you can't chose when you are private or when you're not. Same applies to Harry and his letter won't change any of that.

I doubt the press will make any difference about portions of private life that Meghan wants or doesnt want to show.

To Dman - what is dumb about a backlash on Harry? For me it was a turning point when he left the military and became an expensive tourist/playboy.

Regarding Meghan, I have no problem with her as Harry's girlfriend at all and the racist abuse against her is horrible, what doesn't work for her or any other celebrity is that you can't chose when you are private or when you're not. Same applies to Harry and his letter won't change any of that.

Expensive tourist and playboy?

Are you calling his official duties in representing The Queen in the U.K. and abroad just an expensive tour?

Are you saying that a boyfriend worried about his girlfriends safety is wrong?

This stupid Boy! Why can't he just marry a nice girl like Princess Theodora?
"Tell me what kind of Girl you date and I tell you what kind of guy you are....."

Celebrities absolutely have the right to chose when to be private snd when not. They can draw the line at any time. It's THEIR life. Meghan can be an actress and not be ok with paparazzi chasing her whenever and wherever, harassing her family members etc. She has not once publicly spoken about her relationships, she hasn't in any way invited this into her life. Neither has Harry. This us the first time he has publicly stated that he has a girlfriend.

I personally praise Harry for his statement, what a public stance to take against bullying.

Expensive tourist and playboy?

Are you calling his official duties in representing The Queen in the U.K. and abroad just an expensive tour?

I should have said 'became for the most part an expensive tourist'.

Are you saying that a boyfriend worried about his girlfriends safety is wrong?
No, I never said that.

The more I think about the letter, the more I think this was a mistake. The British press isn't amused and will pay it back to him. It already started.
Their relationship should not have been exposed after just some month.

I'd hardly say it's fair to call Harry an "expensive tourist." For all his talk at one time about taking on a regular, paying job, it's not really the most practical thing for a British royal to do, especially while also taking on some royal work as he does. I suspect he had a similar discovery to the one he had in the Army and tried to serve on the front lines. Him doing that job made a lot of other people's lives much more difficult and ultimately wasn't worth it.

So what has he done instead? He's founded a charity organization that stages rather complex international events; he does PR work as the face of the Invictus Games and seemingly does quite a bit of behind the scenes work with them, as well. He's involved himself with events and organizations that align with the goals of Invictus, such as the Arctic trek with injured soliders. He spends a big chunk of his summers doing hands-on volunteer wildlife/conservation work in Africa. He had his days of risque drinking games in fancy hotels, but that doesn't seem to be on his agenda anymore.

As for Meghan, she's got a degree in international relations and experience in exactly the sort of humanitarian PR work that is asked of royals. How many princesses by marriage to date have come to the job having already done something like it? She has an understanding of sharing a curated image of one's life on social media that, quite frankly, is more sophisticated than anything we've seen out of Buckingham/Clarence House/Kensington. Yes, what's best for an actress to choose as the particular slice of life shown is different than would be appropriate for a royal, but that's really not a hard switch to make. And let's be honest, as an actress she's approaching the age when jobs dry up without having the level of fame that makes it likely that she could be one of the few to continue getting offers of good scripts. The lifestyle site and fashion line seem to be signs that she's already developing a safety net for the day when acting gigs end for her, and the way she writes in her blog posts makes me think that the humanitarian work she's been doing satisfy her to a much greater degree than the business stuff does. So if this relationship were to prove to be the real thing, it may not be that hard for her to give up her current line of work -- and her web/fashion sidelines -- for a life of appearances and causes.

Let's just be respectful of Harry's personal love life. Also, let's be respectful of Miss Markle's privacy and safety. Let's not encourage the media in harassing her, her family and friends.

If people really care about Prince Harry, like they say they do, then let's give him and Miss Markle the space and time to carry out their relationship with peace. Let's not get ahead of ourselves in wedding talk and conversations about babies. We all know they're not on that path right now. Relationships must be given the chance and time to grow, and perhaps the "big steps" will occur down the line.

Yes, Miss Markle is of mix race and that's a beautiful thing, but that should not disqualify her from being Prince Harry's girlfriend. The media and royal watchers on the internet should reject any kind of racist articles, reports, undertones of any kind and commentary. Let's try not post anything that will garner attention to anything or anyone that produce such an offense.

Lastly, please remember Harry's brother and sister-in-law had the privacy of a college wall to protect them as their relationship got started and blossomed. Prince Harry and Miss Markle don't have that kind of advantage. So it's pretty important the media and folks online understand this couples position on privacy, safety and respect.

Dman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom