The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Angel.10's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 108
Racism makes me shocked! What is the problem the girl is the daughter of an African-American? For me she is just a brunette girl, very beautiful.I don't know if she and Harry are together, but I'm cheering
__________________

  #822  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Racism is everywhere in the world. There would be plenty of people in Britain who'd have an issue with a black woman marrying a senior royal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Who in the family haven't we heard from yet and it's only been a week ?



Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I know a half-sister and half-brother have spoken as did a nephew. The half-sister called Meghan a 'social climber'. I'm sure we'll hear from more as the news spreads around the family.
__________________

  #823  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,390
The estranged half-sister then retracted the interview she supposedly gave and claimed she hadn't said those things. The half-brother just stated he was supportive of Meghan.

Meghan's mother just said that she was sorry but she couldn't say anything. They pounced on her as she was about to drive to work!

Meghan is also half white, and of Dutch and Irish descent on her father's side.
  #824  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Who in their right mind would want to marry Prince Harry?

It's behind a paywall but free to register. Favourable article about Harry, but wonders at the type of girls who would want to marry him.

She will forever be compared to The Duchess of Cambridge, just like Sarah was compared to Diana.
Quote:
Catherine Middleton – for all the disgustingly snobbish things that have been said about her – is ludicrously well-suited to being a queen: lovely looking, beautifully turned-out, terrific figure...

But, more than that, she is duty personified. Each time she is photographed – at a country house charity bunfight, attending regimental and royal ceremonies, meeting people who’ve had a rough time – she never looks anything other than engaged and enthralled. Never a yawn, never a hangover, never a “Let them eat cake” moment.

What girl wants to be compared unfavourably to the Duchess of Cambridge for ever – and to have to defer to her, too, for the rest of her life?

...Today, the fact Meghan Markle has been previously married is neither here nor there. The real difficulty will come from facing up to the extremely odd, pressured life with a royal number two. And a life that will change dramatically with the decades.

“Harry will gradually slip down the pecking order,” says Vickers. “The new girl sounds as though she could cope with it all. We will see.”
  #825  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,390
Well, we shall see. There are have been other articles out this week in the tabs that have called Kate bland and stated that Meghan is exactly what the Royal family needs. One of those articles was posted here previously, I believe.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/212150...ywood-mansion/

She'd be a definite asset to the BRF. Meghan is a beautiful and accomplished woman who is a fine public speaker at the UN and elsewhere. Her speeches are online. Bubbly, articulate, has a degree in international relations. I think she will be fine IF she joins the Royal family, in comparison to anyone and anything.
  #826  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Angel.10's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 108
Well, I will not go into details, but for me Meghan is much more interesting than Kate Middleton
  #827  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The estranged half-sister then retracted the interview she supposedly gave and claimed she hadn't said those things. The half-brother just stated he was supportive of Meghan.

Meghan's mother just said that she was sorry but she couldn't say anything. They pounced on her as she was about to drive to work!

Mom did the right thing. The sister's denial of the interview doesn't seem believable to me.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #828  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan is a beautiful and accomplished woman who is a fine public speaker at the UN and elsewhere. Her speeches are online. Bubbly, articulate, has a degree in international relations. I think she will be fine IF she joins the Royal family, in comparison to anyone and anything.
It is for those reasons why I think she would be a tremendous asset to the royal family should she and Harry decide to marry.
I also think her mixed heritage would be a good thing. It could attract ethnic/non-white Brits to the royal family.
Also she already has social and philanthropic causes that she actively supports and her joining the royal family would allow her a bigger profile and platform.:thumbup:
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #829  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, we shall see. There are have been other articles out this week in the tabs that have called Kate bland and stated that Meghan is exactly what the Royal family needs. One of those articles was posted here.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/212150...ywood-mansion/

She'd be a definite asset to the BRF. Meghan is a beautiful and accomplished woman who is a fine public speaker at the UN and elsewhere. Her speeches are online. Bubbly, articulate, has a degree in international relations. I think she will be fine IF she joins the Royal family, in comparison to anyone and anything.

She doesn't have a degree in international relations. Per the Hollywood Reporter she graduated from Northwestern's school of communication where international relations isn't a program in that school. Acting is.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #830  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, we shall see. There are have been other articles out this week in the tabs that have called Kate bland and stated that Meghan is exactly what the Royal family needs.



Uh-oh...remember when the same thing was said about Fergie?
  #831  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Harry should really start sending Emily Andrews a weekly stipend.

Ultimately Britain is a country of snobs. Every conversation is either about the weather or 'what's your father's name' . Where you're from is how people define you.

Emily Andrews thinks that a a mixed-race American divorcee, with a bankrupt dad, dreadlocked yoga teacher mum and family outcasts such as estranged half-sister Samantha Grant, who has called her a “pushy social climber”. is just what the royal family needs to keep it relevant, then maybe she's had grassy lunch.

Funny, when It was blondes and aristos Emily Andrews thought that was best for the the royal family. Now it's an American divorcee. She seems like Harry's mouthpiece.
  #832  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,390
Talk about stigmatising an entire nation! I'm British-born and I'm certainly not snobbish. Britain has many ethnic minorities and foreigners living there. They don't all dislike bi-racial people. Most respond to warmth and heart and energy and enthusiasm wherever the person comes from.

Emily A certainly isn't Harry's mouthpiece. Far from it. She does respond to his warmth, enthusiasm and sense of fun, however. As do a great many members of the public all over Britain and the Commonwealth.

And people who attack this beautiful and accomplished, hard working and articulate woman, and her family are OK are they? Her mother teaches yoga therapy. She has a job, and a Masters degree in Social Work. Who cares about the dreadlocks! Meghan's father, who must be of retirement age, was an admired TV lighting director. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I think Meghan is great. She double majored in Theatre and International Relations, worked as an intern for a while at the US embassy in Buenos Aries and can speak Spanish.

As for being a divorcee so are Andrew, Anne and Charles and Camilla. No novelty there! think she will be a great asset to the BRF and Harry will be lucky to have her. We will see, IF she and Harry marry, just how terrific she will be, Im sure of it.. (Love her fashion sense as well.)
  #833  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
There doesn't have to be anything 'wrong' with it to invite public comment. Nothing wrong with anything the Middletons did either. Hard working and self-made.

Now it's Meghan's family turn to be disected and commented on. Just like what would happen to any girl Harry dates.

It's great you've embraced egalitarianism Curryong. I remember you used to be quite the class warrior.
  #834  
Old 11-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Dee Anna's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Here, Ireland
Posts: 599
Harry is in the very happy position of now having two wee babes, along with Wills between him and the throne, but still a senior royal, so he can pretty much marry who he likes! And Meghan could just be the girl (Knew there had to be a bit of Irish there with that name)!

Married before? So what?! So is his step mother!

I think she would be an absolute asset to the RF, maybe even liven Kate up a bit! It doesn't have to be so serious all of the time!
__________________
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken ..... Oscar Wilde
  #835  
Old 11-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bari, Italy
Posts: 4
I think the problem is not who is Meghan, what she has done in her life and which are her origins. The problem is that the press is absolutely annoying, as Harry said in an interview he really can't speak with a girl that happens to be his future wife. Maybe we are arguing about Meghan and if she's suitable to be Harry's wife, and they don't even know each other.

PS: Sorry for my english, i'm italian. I'm doing my best
  #836  
Old 11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,190
It matters zero comma zero which achievements Miss Markle probably has. No one is interested in that. In medialand (and is there a country which uses more vitriol to write someone down?) the traditional role still is to shut up and to be pretty, to know your place and not to upstage your royal husband, thanks to whom you made that social climb.

It is like the chauffeur in Downton Abbey, Branson, whom married one of the Earl's daughters. No matter how hard he did, he never became a real part of the family upstairs ánd he was looked down by his former colleagues downstairs.

That same systematic will work on Miss Markle, like it still works on the former Miss Middleton: girl, you are no Princess, you play you are a Princess. Yesterday you were Meghan-next-door and tomorrow we have to bow, or go to the knees and mumble "Royal Highness".

It is exactly this underlying feeling which causes that people get the feeling it is all vaudeville, theatre and that they are watching an expensive circus (from their taxpayers' money indeed).

That is why I keep stressing on maintaining a certain standard, on decorum, on distance and indeed, all to keep some mystique. I compare it with the Church of Rome: in an attempt to "modernize", in the 1960's they ended the traditional Mass in Latin, Gregorian hymns were swapped for poppy songs, priests turned their backs to the tabernacle to face the parish and laymen were invited to the priests' choir to do readings. Costly golden chalices were swapped for amateurish-looking stonework, vestments were laid down and replaced by sober frocks.

Result? With a never-seen speed the churches became empty. The Anglicans thought, hmmm.... "we have to modernize too" and allowed female priests and gay clergy. Result: the Church of England is on the verge of complete irrelevance.

Morale of the story: it is a wrong way of thinking that people want a royal family with a Meghan, Autumn or a Sarah. Every distance disappears. But still we are expected to wave to them on that balcony, to sink down our knees and see them wearing glittering diadems.

I for once hope that Prince Harry indeed will find a lovely lady. And for the core sake of the monarchy I hope it will be a lady from a more traditional "pool" indeed.
  #837  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,928
I think the combination of both 'divorced' and 'american' is not ideal to join the BRF, too many bad memories.
  #838  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
She doesn't have a degree in international relations. Per the Hollywood Reporter she graduated from Northwestern's school of communication where international relations isn't a program in that school. Acting is.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Actually, the Northwestern International Studies program is an adjunct major, which means there's no standalone degree in it, but it can be added to any offered major. From the website:

"Students in any undergraduate school of the University may elect the Adjunct Major in International Studies."
Undergraduate:  International Studies Program - Northwestern University

She has a Communications degree with a double major: Theatre & International Studies.


I'll be interested to see what she brings to the table in terms of the creation of a public persona vs private person. I tend to think that, as someone who's been trying to create that balance for a number of years, she's actually very well suited to that aspect of the monarchy, should the relationship with Harry go long term.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe that she's smart, capable, caring and media savvy. Plus she says one of her nicknames is Nutmeg, which is adorable.

Nothing I've seen indicates to me that she'd be anything other than a credit to the RF.
  #839  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Hendrik-Jan77's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It matters zero comma zero which achievements Miss Markle probably has. No one is interested in that. In medialand (and is there a country which uses more vitriol to write someone down?) the traditional role still is to shut up and to be pretty, to know your place and not to upstage your royal husband, thanks to whom you made that social climb.

It is like the chauffeur in Downton Abbey, Branson, whom married one of the Earl's daughters. No matter how hard he did, he never became a real part of the family upstairs ánd he was looked down by his former colleagues downstairs.

That same systematic will work on Miss Markle, like it still works on the former Miss Middleton: girl, you are no Princess, you play you are a Princess. Yesterday you were Meghan-next-door and tomorrow we have to bow, or go to the knees and mumble "Royal Highness".

It is exactly this underlying feeling which causes that people get the feeling it is all vaudeville, theatre and that they are watching an expensive circus (from their taxpayers' money indeed).

That is why I keep stressing on maintaining a certain standard, on decorum, on distance and indeed, all to keep some mystique. I compare it with the Church of Rome: in an attempt to "modernize", in the 1960's they ended the traditional Mass in Latin, Gregorian hymns were swapped for poppy songs, priests turned their backs to the tabernacle to face the parish and laymen were invited to the priests' choir to do readings. Costly golden chalices were swapped for amateurish-looking stonework, vestments were laid down and replaced by sober frocks.

Result? With a never-seen speed the churches became empty. The Anglicans thought, hmmm.... "we have to modernize too" and allowed female priests and gay clergy. Result: the Church of England is on the verge of complete irrelevance.

Morale of the story: it is a wrong way of thinking that people want a royal family with a Meghan, Autumn or a Sarah. Every distance disappears. But still we are expected to wave to them on that balcony, to sink down our knees and see them wearing glittering diadems.

I for once hope that Prince Harry indeed will find a lovely lady. And for the core sake of the monarchy I hope it will be a lady from a more traditional "pool" indeed.
Hear hear! I could not agree more. It is all a big IF but I think Meghan is just not the type of person that will fit into the role as senior member of the Royal Family. We will see but I predict trouble. All that talk about bringing the Royals closer to the public and make the Royal Family more relevant. The Monarchy is an ancient institution and I like the people in it to look up to. There has to be distance otherwise it is just like watching the Kardashians to me. Criticise me all you want but that is how I feel.
__________________
HRH
  #840  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
We'll see if she's a team player. As an actress her first instinct is to play to the limelight and in Hollywood that's all well and good but in the BRF she will have to learn fast that not all press is good press.

I do think they are dating but I'll have to see her walking down the aisle before I'll believe marriage rumours.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names birth britain britannia british royal family camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii highgrove hochberg house of windsor japan jewellery książ castle liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen elizabeth ii queen louise royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family suthida taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×